Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They do not want to lose their places.
(b) They aren't hungry.
(c) They do not want to be separated by the table.
(d) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
2. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(b) They grow up in the same church together.
(c) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
(d) They go on a blind date.
3. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
(a) He is trying to shoot someone else.
(b) He wants to keep the feeling of love going.
(c) He wants to capture her forever.
(d) She tries to rob him.
4. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
(a) A television.
(b) A baby.
5. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She goes back to Virginia.
(b) She becomes a teacher.
(c) She raises children.
(d) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
6. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
(a) The funeral parlor.
(b) Under their bed.
(d) To her mother's house.
7. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
(b) It is not clear.
8. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
(a) A knife.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A pen.
(d) A shoe.
9. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
(a) She becomes bloated.
(b) She gets hives.
(c) She breaks out.
(d) She becomes depressed.
10. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
(a) Chinese food.
(b) An adopted baby.
11. Why do the Miller sisters call the police station repeatedly?
(a) To report restaurants serving alcohol.
(b) They are crazy.
(c) They imagine they hear thieves in their home.
(d) As a way to keep Dorcas from misbehaving.
12. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
(a) As a farce and a scam.
(b) As a hypnotist.
(c) As a genius.
(d) As a witch doctor.
13. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
(a) Her home.
(b) A jazz club.
(c) The drugstore.
(d) The local bar.
14. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
(a) She is Violet's older sister.
(b) She is Violet's nanny.
(c) She is Violet's school teacher.
(d) She is Violet's grandmother.
15. How is Violet described by the author?
(a) Skinny and over fifty.
(b) Attractive and haunting.
(c) Wrinkly and harsh.
(d) Chubby and pleasant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
2. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
3. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
4. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
5. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)