|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She is much more mature than they.
(b) She wears unfashionable clothing.
(c) She is tall and beautiful.
(d) She is smarter and sharper.
2. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
(a) She is Violet's grandmother.
(b) She is Violet's older sister.
(c) She is Violet's nanny.
(d) She is Violet's school teacher.
3. Why is Violet committed to gaining weight?
(a) She is trying to get the hips and backside she has as a young woman.
(b) She thinks it makes her look crazier.
(c) She wants to be admitted to the hospital.
(d) She thinks it makes Joe feel sorry for her.
4. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
(a) He wants her to die in his arms.
(b) He wants her to keep from falling.
(c) He doesn't want anyone else to touch her.
(d) He wants to be arrested and taken to prison.
5. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
6. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
(a) As a genius.
(b) As a witch doctor.
(c) As a hypnotist.
(d) As a farce and a scam.
7. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
(b) Seductive and violent music.
(d) Unhealthy habits.
8. What happens to Violet after she attacks Dorcas's body?
(a) She loses her affinity for violence.
(b) She is arrested and tried.
(c) She becomes more compassionate.
(d) She feels split into two people.
9. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
(a) Her dolls.
(b) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
10. Where do Dorcas's clothespin dolls lay?
(a) Under her pillow.
(b) Within an old oak tree.
(c) In a cigar box.
(d) On the floor of the burnt-down home.
11. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She goes back to Virginia.
(b) She raises children.
(c) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
(d) She becomes a teacher.
12. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
(a) Specific dates.
(b) The dresses that she wears.
(c) What they buy as a couple.
13. How is Alice Manfred related to Dorcas?
(a) Dorcas is Alice's daughter.
(b) Alice is Dorcas's aunt.
(c) Alice and Dorcas are sisters.
(d) Alice and Dorcas are second cousins.
14. What does Joe take with him to the park?
(a) His sample case of cosmetics.
(b) A picture of Dorcas.
(c) A sandwich and his gun.
(d) His walking cane.
15. Why do the Miller sisters call the police station repeatedly?
(a) As a way to keep Dorcas from misbehaving.
(b) They are crazy.
(c) They imagine they hear thieves in their home.
(d) To report restaurants serving alcohol.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Alice realize Dorcas and Joe are having an affair?
2. What area does the author describe in springtime?
3. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
4. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
5. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)