|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) An aged, harsh woman.
(b) A beautiful, sweet girl.
(c) A woman who looks just like Violet.
(d) A scraggly, shy teenager.
2. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(b) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
(c) She is a seamstress.
(d) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
3. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
(a) It is broken down.
(b) It is out of gas.
(c) It is waiting for a fire in a white neighborhood.
(d) All the firemen are on strike.
4. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
(a) Twenty-two years.
(b) They never pay it off.
(c) Six months.
(d) Five years.
5. What is special about Neola Miller?
(a) She is a genius.
(b) Her hair is bright yellow.
(c) Her left arm is paralyzed over her heart.
(d) She is deaf.
6. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
(a) His mother.
(b) His sister.
7. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Cleans offices.
(b) Delivers newspapers.
(c) Runs a daycare.
(d) Cooks for neighbors.
8. What do Violet and Joe do all night the first time they meet?
9. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
(a) A photo album.
(b) She decides not to rescue anything.
(c) Her pet kitten.
(d) Her clothespin dolls.
10. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
(a) He doesn't want anyone else to touch her.
(b) He wants her to die in his arms.
(c) He wants her to keep from falling.
(d) He wants to be arrested and taken to prison.
11. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) They grow up in the same church together.
(b) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(c) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
(d) They go on a blind date.
12. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
(a) Leave Joe forever.
(b) Become pregnant.
(c) Kill his pet dog.
(d) Have an affair in their home.
13. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She is tall and beautiful.
(b) She is smarter and sharper.
(c) She wears unfashionable clothing.
(d) She is much more mature than they.
14. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
(a) An old diamond ring.
(b) A sack of stolen mail.
(c) A coin collection.
(d) A box of money.
15. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
(a) Unhealthy habits.
(d) Seductive and violent music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
2. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
3. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
4. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
5. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)