|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
(a) A baby.
(b) A television.
2. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
(a) She becomes a musician.
(b) She goes to find a priest.
(c) She becomes more and more silent.
(d) She writes in her journal.
3. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
(a) Piles of newspapers.
(b) Birds and houseplants.
(c) Dogs and cats.
(d) Shotguns and cocaine.
4. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
(a) No one is sure.
(b) She throws herself down a well.
(c) She convinces her boyfriend to kill her.
(d) She dies of a heart attack.
5. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
6. What are the Civic Daughters planning when Joe delivers the cosmetics?
(a) Dorcas's engagement party.
(b) A Thanksgiving fundraiser.
(c) An Easter Egg hunt.
(d) The debutante ball.
7. What does Joe see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) An aged, harsh woman.
(b) A beautiful, sweet girl.
(c) A woman who looks just like Violet.
(d) A scraggly, shy teenager.
8. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(b) She is a seamstress.
(c) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
(d) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
9. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
(a) He wants her to keep from falling.
(b) He wants to be arrested and taken to prison.
(c) He doesn't want anyone else to touch her.
(d) He wants her to die in his arms.
10. Who adopts Joe at birth?
(a) True Belle.
(b) Rose Dear.
(c) Violet's parents.
(d) Rhoda and Frank Williams.
11. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
(a) An old diamond ring.
(b) A sack of stolen mail.
(c) A box of money.
(d) A coin collection.
12. When does Alice realize Dorcas and Joe are having an affair?
(a) After Dorcas is dead.
(b) The first night Dorcas and Joe meet.
(d) Thanksgiving dinner.
13. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Cleans offices.
(b) Runs a daycare.
(c) Cooks for neighbors.
(d) Delivers newspapers.
14. Why doesn't Violet sleep at night?
(a) The birds are gone.
(b) She sleeps too much during the day.
(c) Joe snores loudly.
(d) She is awakened by nightmares.
15. What is special about Neola Miller?
(a) Her left arm is paralyzed over her heart.
(b) She is deaf.
(c) Her hair is bright yellow.
(d) She is a genius.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
2. Who rents Joe and Dorcas a bedroom once a week?
3. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
4. What is Joe selling when he meets Dorcas?
5. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)