|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet wear that makes her look crazy?
(a) A hat.
(b) An overcoat.
(d) Long stockings.
2. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
(a) He thinks they are charming.
(b) He does not know about them.
(c) He thinks they are incredibly annoying.
(d) He ignores them completely.
3. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
(b) She becomes a teacher.
(c) She raises children.
(d) She goes back to Virginia.
4. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
(b) They go on a blind date.
(c) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(d) They grow up in the same church together.
5. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
(a) Dorcas is fired from her job.
(b) She overdoses on medication.
(c) She is arrested by the police for murder.
(d) Dorcas's father is killed during a race riot.
6. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
(a) It is not clear.
7. Who rents Joe and Dorcas a bedroom once a week?
(a) Rose Dear.
(b) Dorcas's mother.
8. Why does True Belle send Violet to Palestine?
(a) To go to beauty school.
(b) Violet becomes pregnant.
(c) To get away from Joe.
(d) To pick cotton.
9. What does Violet do after she runs from the funeral home?
(a) Takes a train back to Virginia.
(b) Releases all the birds from their cages.
(c) Tries to commit suicide.
(d) Attacks Joe while he is sleeping.
10. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
(a) She is afraid the girl has to get a low-paying job instead.
(b) She is threatened by the police.
(c) She is afraid she is reported for having stolen mail.
(d) The young black girl is Malvonne's daughter.
11. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
(a) They are overjoyed for the couple.
(b) They are surprised.
(c) They are glad Joe and Violet are moving away.
(d) They are disappointed and vow never to speak to Joe again.
12. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She wears unfashionable clothing.
(b) She is smarter and sharper.
(c) She is tall and beautiful.
(d) She is much more mature than they.
13. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
(a) Her home.
(b) The drugstore.
(c) The local bar.
(d) A jazz club.
14. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
(a) Birds and houseplants.
(b) Dogs and cats.
(c) Shotguns and cocaine.
(d) Piles of newspapers.
15. What does Violet regret when she turns forty?
(a) Not taking better care of her skin.
(b) Not having been loved deeply enough.
(c) Never having children.
(d) Getting married so early.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
2. Why does Joe begin tracking Dorcas down with a gun?
3. What does Malvonne do for a living?
4. Where does Violet put the picture of Dorcas?
5. What do Violet and Joe do all night the first time they meet?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)