|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
(a) Joe and Dorcas.
(b) Joe and Victory.
(c) Joe and his father.
(d) Golden Gray and Lestory.
2. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
3. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
(a) He senses that she longs for a child.
(b) She is having an extramarital affair.
(c) She begins to drink excessively.
(d) She tells him she wants to get a divorce.
4. Why do the Miller sisters call the police station repeatedly?
(a) To report restaurants serving alcohol.
(b) As a way to keep Dorcas from misbehaving.
(c) They are crazy.
(d) They imagine they hear thieves in their home.
5. Who adopts Joe at birth?
(a) Violet's parents.
(b) Rhoda and Frank Williams.
(c) Rose Dear.
(d) True Belle.
6. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
(b) Five dollars an hour.
(c) Two dollars a month.
(d) He trades handiwork for the use of the bedroom.
7. Where do Dorcas's clothespin dolls lay?
(a) In a cigar box.
(b) Under her pillow.
(c) Within an old oak tree.
(d) On the floor of the burnt-down home.
8. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
(a) The funeral parlor.
(c) Under their bed.
(d) To her mother's house.
9. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
(a) "Please help me".
(b) "You're an angel".
(c) "You're the best man I ever met".
(d) "I love you".
10. What does Violet wear that makes her look crazy?
(a) An overcoat.
(b) A hat.
(d) Long stockings.
11. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They do not want to be separated by the table.
(b) They do not want to lose their places.
(c) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
(d) They aren't hungry.
12. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
(a) Her home.
(b) The drugstore.
(c) The local bar.
(d) A jazz club.
13. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
(a) She becomes a musician.
(b) She becomes more and more silent.
(c) She writes in her journal.
(d) She goes to find a priest.
14. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
(a) He wants her to die in his arms.
(b) He wants to be arrested and taken to prison.
(c) He wants her to keep from falling.
(d) He doesn't want anyone else to touch her.
15. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
(a) Butter and sugar.
(b) Aloe vera.
(c) Cream and clear nail polish.
(d) White paint.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet regret when she turns forty?
2. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
3. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
4. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
5. What do Violet and Joe do all night the first time they meet?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)