|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the Civic Daughters planning when Joe delivers the cosmetics?
(a) The debutante ball.
(b) A Thanksgiving fundraiser.
(c) An Easter Egg hunt.
(d) Dorcas's engagement party.
2. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
(b) The funeral parlor.
(c) Under their bed.
(d) To her mother's house.
3. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
(a) They have living parents and loving wives.
(b) They have lots of money and good jobs.
(c) They do not have to go searching for women.
(d) They do not have to worry about segregation and racism.
4. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She is tall and beautiful.
(b) She is much more mature than they.
(c) She wears unfashionable clothing.
(d) She is smarter and sharper.
5. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
(a) He doesn't want anyone else to touch her.
(b) He wants to be arrested and taken to prison.
(c) He wants her to keep from falling.
(d) He wants her to die in his arms.
6. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(b) A horse.
(c) Peppermint candy.
(d) A dress.
7. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
(a) She dies of a heart attack.
(b) She convinces her boyfriend to kill her.
(c) She throws herself down a well.
(d) No one is sure.
8. What does Malvonne include in the letter from Hot Steam to Daddy Sage?
(a) A Bible passage.
(b) An article about adultery.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Violet's phone number.
9. What area does the author describe in springtime?
(b) Central Park.
10. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
(b) He trades handiwork for the use of the bedroom.
(c) Five dollars an hour.
(d) Two dollars a month.
11. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
(a) The local bar.
(b) Her home.
(c) A jazz club.
(d) The drugstore.
12. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She becomes a teacher.
(b) She raises children.
(c) She goes back to Virginia.
(d) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
13. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(b) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
(c) Cook breakfast for him.
(d) Set his hair on fire.
14. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
(b) The dresses that she wears.
(c) What they buy as a couple.
(d) Specific dates.
15. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Cleans offices.
(b) Cooks for neighbors.
(c) Runs a daycare.
(d) Delivers newspapers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
2. What is Joe selling when he meets Dorcas?
3. Why is Violet committed to gaining weight?
4. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
5. When does Alice realize Dorcas and Joe are having an affair?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)