|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Violet sleep at night?
(a) She is awakened by nightmares.
(b) The birds are gone.
(c) She sleeps too much during the day.
(d) Joe snores loudly.
2. What does Violet do after she runs from the funeral home?
(a) Takes a train back to Virginia.
(b) Releases all the birds from their cages.
(c) Tries to commit suicide.
(d) Attacks Joe while he is sleeping.
3. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
(a) She becomes a musician.
(b) She goes to find a priest.
(c) She writes in her journal.
(d) She becomes more and more silent.
4. What is Joe selling when he meets Dorcas?
5. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(a) Peppermint candy.
(b) A dress.
(d) A horse.
6. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
(a) A knife.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A pen.
(d) A shoe.
7. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
(c) Dorcas's pet dog.
8. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They do not want to be separated by the table.
(b) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
(c) They aren't hungry.
(d) They do not want to lose their places.
9. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
(a) He thinks the apple is worth the expulsion.
(b) He thinks Eve should never offer the fruit.
(c) He thinks it is all a made-up story.
(d) He thinks Adam is incredibly stupid.
10. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
(a) Plain but fun-loving.
(b) Beautiful but hardheaded.
(c) Funny but quiet.
(d) Ugly but pleasant.
11. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
(c) True Belle.
12. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
(a) All the firemen are on strike.
(b) It is waiting for a fire in a white neighborhood.
(c) It is broken down.
(d) It is out of gas.
13. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
(a) Her dolls.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
14. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) All other blacks.
(c) Social workers and teachers.
(d) White male teenagers and adults.
15. Who moves to Chicago?
(a) Sweetness, Malvonne's nephew.
(b) True Belle.
(c) Rose Dear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
2. Why does Joe begin tracking Dorcas down with a gun?
3. Who sits on every street corner, according to the author?
4. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
5. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)