|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) White male teenagers and adults.
(c) All other blacks.
(d) Social workers and teachers.
2. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
(a) She is having an extramarital affair.
(b) He senses that she longs for a child.
(c) She tells him she wants to get a divorce.
(d) She begins to drink excessively.
3. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
(a) It is broken down.
(b) It is out of gas.
(c) It is waiting for a fire in a white neighborhood.
(d) All the firemen are on strike.
4. What does Violet regret when she turns forty?
(a) Not having been loved deeply enough.
(b) Getting married so early.
(c) Not taking better care of her skin.
(d) Never having children.
5. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Cleans offices.
(b) Runs a daycare.
(c) Cooks for neighbors.
(d) Delivers newspapers.
6. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
(b) They do not want to be separated by the table.
(c) They do not want to lose their places.
(d) They aren't hungry.
7. Who adopts Joe at birth?
(a) Rose Dear.
(b) True Belle.
(c) Violet's parents.
(d) Rhoda and Frank Williams.
8. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
(a) She overdoses on medication.
(b) Dorcas's father is killed during a race riot.
(c) Dorcas is fired from her job.
(d) She is arrested by the police for murder.
9. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
(a) Twenty-two years.
(b) They never pay it off.
(c) Five years.
(d) Six months.
10. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
(a) Dorcas's pet dog.
11. What does Joe see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) A scraggly, shy teenager.
(b) A woman who looks just like Violet.
(c) An aged, harsh woman.
(d) A beautiful, sweet girl.
12. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
(a) A necklace.
(b) A knife.
(c) A shoe.
(d) A pen.
13. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
(a) She dies in a housefire.
(b) She is killed by a boyfriend.
(c) She gradually becomes insane.
(d) She runs away to Mexico.
14. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
(a) Rose Dear.
15. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
(b) Specific dates.
(c) The dresses that she wears.
(d) What they buy as a couple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
2. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
3. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
4. Why does True Belle send Violet to Palestine?
5. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)