|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does True Belle send Violet to Palestine?
(a) To pick cotton.
(b) Violet becomes pregnant.
(c) To go to beauty school.
(d) To get away from Joe.
2. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
(a) It is waiting for a fire in a white neighborhood.
(b) It is out of gas.
(c) It is broken down.
(d) All the firemen are on strike.
3. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
(a) All blacks must leave the train car.
(b) It is time to separate from the white customers.
(c) Breakfast is being served.
(d) No black couples remain together.
4. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
(a) They do not have to worry about segregation and racism.
(b) They do not have to go searching for women.
(c) They have living parents and loving wives.
(d) They have lots of money and good jobs.
5. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
(a) Plain but fun-loving.
(b) Funny but quiet.
(c) Beautiful but hardheaded.
(d) Ugly but pleasant.
6. Who sits on every street corner, according to the author?
(a) Blind beggars.
(b) Blues musicians.
(c) Single mothers.
(d) Young prostitutes.
7. What instrument is constantly played during the parade?
8. What does Violet do after she runs from the funeral home?
(a) Releases all the birds from their cages.
(b) Attacks Joe while he is sleeping.
(c) Takes a train back to Virginia.
(d) Tries to commit suicide.
9. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Delivers newspapers.
(b) Runs a daycare.
(c) Cooks for neighbors.
(d) Cleans offices.
10. Who rents Joe and Dorcas a bedroom once a week?
(b) Rose Dear.
(d) Dorcas's mother.
11. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
(a) Chinese food.
(d) An adopted baby.
12. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
(a) They are glad Joe and Violet are moving away.
(b) They are surprised.
(c) They are disappointed and vow never to speak to Joe again.
(d) They are overjoyed for the couple.
13. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(a) Peppermint candy.
(b) A horse.
(d) A dress.
14. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
(a) As a hypnotist.
(b) As a farce and a scam.
(c) As a witch doctor.
(d) As a genius.
15. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
(b) The St. Louis race riots.
(c) Child abuse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
2. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
3. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
4. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
5. What year does Joe and Violet move to the city?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)