|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What area does the author describe in springtime?
(a) Central Park.
2. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
(d) It is not clear.
3. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
(a) Funny but quiet.
(b) Plain but fun-loving.
(c) Beautiful but hardheaded.
(d) Ugly but pleasant.
4. What is special about Neola Miller?
(a) Her hair is bright yellow.
(b) She is deaf.
(c) Her left arm is paralyzed over her heart.
(d) She is a genius.
5. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) Shotguns and cocaine.
(c) Birds and houseplants.
(d) Piles of newspapers.
6. What instrument is constantly played during the parade?
7. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Cook breakfast for him.
(b) Set his hair on fire.
(c) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(d) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
8. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
(a) They are disappointed and vow never to speak to Joe again.
(b) They are surprised.
(c) They are overjoyed for the couple.
(d) They are glad Joe and Violet are moving away.
9. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
(a) She becomes bloated.
(b) She becomes depressed.
(c) She breaks out.
(d) She gets hives.
10. What is Joe selling when he meets Dorcas?
11. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
12. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
(a) He senses that she longs for a child.
(b) She is having an extramarital affair.
(c) She begins to drink excessively.
(d) She tells him she wants to get a divorce.
13. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She becomes a teacher.
(b) She goes back to Virginia.
(c) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
(d) She raises children.
14. What does Violet see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) A sweet, beautiful woman.
(b) A friendly, mature girl.
(c) A stubborn girl needing a haircut.
(d) An angry, disturbed teenager.
15. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
(c) Child abuse.
(d) The St. Louis race riots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
2. What are the Civic Daughters planning when Joe delivers the cosmetics?
3. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
4. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
5. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)