|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(b) She is a seamstress.
(c) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
(d) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
2. Who moves to Chicago?
(a) Sweetness, Malvonne's nephew.
(c) Rose Dear.
(d) True Belle.
3. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
(b) Cook breakfast for him.
(c) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(d) Set his hair on fire.
4. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
(a) A red handkerchief.
(b) His hands.
(c) Dorcas's picture.
5. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) Joe's mother.
(b) True Belle.
(c) No one.
(d) The Miller sisters.
6. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
(c) True Belle.
7. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
(a) As a witch doctor.
(b) As a hypnotist.
(c) As a farce and a scam.
(d) As a genius.
8. What instrument is constantly played during the parade?
9. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
(a) Her clothespin dolls.
(b) A photo album.
(c) She decides not to rescue anything.
(d) Her pet kitten.
10. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
(a) They never pay it off.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) Twenty-two years.
11. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
(b) His sister.
(c) His mother.
12. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
(a) Child abuse.
(c) The St. Louis race riots.
13. Who attends the parade with Dorcas in 1917?
(a) Alice Manfred.
(b) Joe only.
(c) Joe and Violet.
(d) No one.
14. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
(a) She is arrested by the police for murder.
(b) Dorcas's father is killed during a race riot.
(c) She overdoses on medication.
(d) Dorcas is fired from her job.
15. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
(a) Kill his pet dog.
(b) Have an affair in their home.
(c) Become pregnant.
(d) Leave Joe forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
2. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
3. What does Joe take with him to the park?
4. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
5. Where does Violet put the picture of Dorcas?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)