|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
(a) The St. Louis race riots.
(b) Child abuse.
2. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
(a) As a farce and a scam.
(b) As a hypnotist.
(c) As a witch doctor.
(d) As a genius.
3. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
(a) It is time to separate from the white customers.
(b) No black couples remain together.
(c) Breakfast is being served.
(d) All blacks must leave the train car.
4. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
(a) Chinese food.
(d) An adopted baby.
5. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(b) A dress.
(c) Peppermint candy.
(d) A horse.
6. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
(a) The local bar.
(b) Her home.
(c) The drugstore.
(d) A jazz club.
7. Where does Dorcas insist Joe take her?
(a) The zoo.
(b) The beauty parlor.
(c) A jazz club.
(d) New York City.
8. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(d) Her dolls.
9. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) True Belle.
(b) No one.
(c) The Miller sisters.
(d) Joe's mother.
10. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
(b) The Midwest.
(c) The North.
11. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
(a) He senses that she longs for a child.
(b) She is having an extramarital affair.
(c) She tells him she wants to get a divorce.
(d) She begins to drink excessively.
12. What area does the author describe in springtime?
(d) Central Park.
13. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
(b) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(c) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
(d) She is a seamstress.
14. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
(a) Twenty-two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) Five years.
(d) They never pay it off.
15. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
(a) A strong axe.
(b) A sweet apple.
(c) A newborn cat.
(d) A babydoll.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
2. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
3. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
4. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
5. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)