|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
(a) All the firemen are on strike.
(b) It is waiting for a fire in a white neighborhood.
(c) It is broken down.
(d) It is out of gas.
2. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
(a) Breakfast is being served.
(b) It is time to separate from the white customers.
(c) All blacks must leave the train car.
(d) No black couples remain together.
3. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
(a) Have an affair in their home.
(b) Become pregnant.
(c) Kill his pet dog.
(d) Leave Joe forever.
4. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
(a) Under their bed.
(b) To her mother's house.
(d) The funeral parlor.
5. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She is tall and beautiful.
(b) She wears unfashionable clothing.
(c) She is smarter and sharper.
(d) She is much more mature than they.
6. What does Dorcas rescue from her home as a small child?
(a) Her pet kitten.
(b) A photo album.
(c) Her clothespin dolls.
(d) She decides not to rescue anything.
7. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
(a) Five years.
(b) They never pay it off.
(c) Twenty-two years.
(d) Six months.
8. How is Alice Manfred related to Dorcas?
(a) Dorcas is Alice's daughter.
(b) Alice and Dorcas are sisters.
(c) Alice is Dorcas's aunt.
(d) Alice and Dorcas are second cousins.
9. What does Violet see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) An angry, disturbed teenager.
(b) A stubborn girl needing a haircut.
(c) A friendly, mature girl.
(d) A sweet, beautiful woman.
10. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
(c) His sister.
(d) His mother.
11. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
(c) A baby.
(d) A television.
12. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
(c) Dorcas's pet dog.
13. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
(a) Five dollars an hour.
(c) He trades handiwork for the use of the bedroom.
(d) Two dollars a month.
14. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
(a) Joe and Dorcas.
(b) Joe and Victory.
(c) Golden Gray and Lestory.
(d) Joe and his father.
15. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) True Belle.
(b) The Miller sisters.
(c) Joe's mother.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
2. Where does Dorcas insist Joe take her?
3. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
4. What instrument is constantly played during the parade?
5. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)