|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe wipe his tears with?
(a) A red handkerchief.
(b) His hands.
(d) Dorcas's picture.
2. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
(b) Chinese food.
(c) An adopted baby.
3. What does Violet try to do to Dorcas's face?
(a) Disfigure it with a knife.
(b) Make it look younger.
(c) Make it look older.
(d) Apply more makeup.
4. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
(a) She begins to drink excessively.
(b) She tells him she wants to get a divorce.
(c) She is having an extramarital affair.
(d) He senses that she longs for a child.
5. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
(a) Cream and clear nail polish.
(b) Butter and sugar.
(c) White paint.
(d) Aloe vera.
6. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
(a) They are surprised.
(b) They are glad Joe and Violet are moving away.
(c) They are disappointed and vow never to speak to Joe again.
(d) They are overjoyed for the couple.
7. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
(c) The Midwest.
(d) The North.
8. What does Violet do after she runs from the funeral home?
(a) Takes a train back to Virginia.
(b) Tries to commit suicide.
(c) Attacks Joe while he is sleeping.
(d) Releases all the birds from their cages.
9. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
(a) He trades handiwork for the use of the bedroom.
(c) Five dollars an hour.
(d) Two dollars a month.
10. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
(a) She becomes insane and tries to kill her children.
(b) She becomes incapacitated.
(c) She remarries and becomes abusive.
(d) She earns an education.
11. What does Malvonne include in the letter from Hot Steam to Daddy Sage?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) An article about adultery.
(c) A Bible passage.
(d) Violet's phone number.
12. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They aren't hungry.
(b) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
(c) They do not want to be separated by the table.
(d) They do not want to lose their places.
13. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
(a) He wants to capture her forever.
(b) He is trying to shoot someone else.
(c) He wants to keep the feeling of love going.
(d) She tries to rob him.
14. What does Malvonne do for a living?
(a) Cooks for neighbors.
(b) Runs a daycare.
(c) Delivers newspapers.
(d) Cleans offices.
15. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) No one.
(b) The Miller sisters.
(c) True Belle.
(d) Joe's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
2. What is Joe selling when he meets Dorcas?
3. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
4. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
5. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)