|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Violet's mother after her father leaves the family?
(a) She becomes insane and tries to kill her children.
(b) She earns an education.
(c) She becomes incapacitated.
(d) She remarries and becomes abusive.
2. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
(b) Unhealthy habits.
(c) Seductive and violent music.
3. Why is Violet committed to gaining weight?
(a) She thinks it makes her look crazier.
(b) She is trying to get the hips and backside she has as a young woman.
(c) She thinks it makes Joe feel sorry for her.
(d) She wants to be admitted to the hospital.
4. What does Violet see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) A friendly, mature girl.
(b) An angry, disturbed teenager.
(c) A stubborn girl needing a haircut.
(d) A sweet, beautiful woman.
5. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
(a) The funeral parlor.
(c) Under their bed.
(d) To her mother's house.
6. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She wears unfashionable clothing.
(b) She is smarter and sharper.
(c) She is tall and beautiful.
(d) She is much more mature than they.
7. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
(a) She convinces her boyfriend to kill her.
(b) No one is sure.
(c) She throws herself down a well.
(d) She dies of a heart attack.
8. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(b) They go on a blind date.
(c) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
(d) They grow up in the same church together.
9. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
(a) He wants her to keep from falling.
(b) He wants her to die in his arms.
(c) He doesn't want anyone else to touch her.
(d) He wants to be arrested and taken to prison.
10. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
(a) A television.
(b) A baby.
11. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
(a) Breakfast is being served.
(b) It is time to separate from the white customers.
(c) No black couples remain together.
(d) All blacks must leave the train car.
12. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(b) A horse.
(c) Peppermint candy.
(d) A dress.
13. Why does Joe begin tracking Dorcas down with a gun?
(a) He finds out she is cheating on him.
(b) He thinks she is trying to kill him.
(c) He never wants the sweet taste of the apple to end.
(d) He is slowly going insane and is having delusions.
14. Why does True Belle send Violet to Palestine?
(a) To pick cotton.
(b) Violet becomes pregnant.
(c) To go to beauty school.
(d) To get away from Joe.
15. What does Joe think about Violet's crazy episodes?
(a) He thinks they are incredibly annoying.
(b) He does not know about them.
(c) He ignores them completely.
(d) He thinks they are charming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Dorcas eats candy?
2. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
3. What does Violet do in response to her crazy episodes?
4. Why do the Miller sisters call the police station repeatedly?
5. What does Malvonne include in the letter from Hot Steam to Daddy Sage?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)