|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Malvonne include in the letter from Hot Steam to Daddy Sage?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Violet's phone number.
(c) A Bible passage.
(d) An article about adultery.
2. Who sits on every street corner, according to the author?
(a) Young prostitutes.
(b) Blues musicians.
(c) Blind beggars.
(d) Single mothers.
3. What does Violet envision Joe giving Dorcas?
(c) Chinese food.
(d) An adopted baby.
4. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
5. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
(a) They are surprised.
(b) They are disappointed and vow never to speak to Joe again.
(c) They are overjoyed for the couple.
(d) They are glad Joe and Violet are moving away.
6. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
(a) To her mother's house.
(b) Under their bed.
(c) The funeral parlor.
7. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
(b) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(c) Set his hair on fire.
(d) Cook breakfast for him.
8. How does Violet meet Joe?
(a) They grow up in the same church together.
(b) They go on a blind date.
(c) They are both lost while trying to get to Chicago.
(d) He falls out of tree she is sleeping under.
9. Why does True Belle send Violet to Palestine?
(a) To go to beauty school.
(b) To get away from Joe.
(c) To pick cotton.
(d) Violet becomes pregnant.
10. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
(a) A shoe.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A pen.
(d) A knife.
11. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
(a) She is a nurse for a black doctor.
(b) Cleans wealthy people's homes.
(c) She is a seamstress.
(d) Cooks in a nearby restaurant.
12. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
(b) What they buy as a couple.
(c) The dresses that she wears.
(d) Specific dates.
13. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
(a) Joe and Victory.
(b) Joe and his father.
(c) Joe and Dorcas.
(d) Golden Gray and Lestory.
14. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
(a) "You're an angel".
(b) "I love you".
(c) "You're the best man I ever met".
(d) "Please help me".
15. What area does the author describe in springtime?
(b) Central Park.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
2. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
3. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
4. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
5. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)