|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Violet wear that makes her look crazy?
(b) A hat.
(c) An overcoat.
(d) Long stockings.
2. What does Malvonne find behind her refrigerator?
(a) A sack of stolen mail.
(b) A box of money.
(c) A coin collection.
(d) An old diamond ring.
3. What instrument is constantly played during the parade?
4. What does Violet see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) A stubborn girl needing a haircut.
(b) An angry, disturbed teenager.
(c) A friendly, mature girl.
(d) A sweet, beautiful woman.
5. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
(b) Unhealthy habits.
(d) Seductive and violent music.
6. Why do the Miller sisters call the police station repeatedly?
(a) They are crazy.
(b) As a way to keep Dorcas from misbehaving.
(c) They imagine they hear thieves in their home.
(d) To report restaurants serving alcohol.
7. How does Alice describe Dorcas?
(a) Ugly but pleasant.
(b) Plain but fun-loving.
(c) Beautiful but hardheaded.
(d) Funny but quiet.
8. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
(b) Rose Dear.
9. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
(a) She convinces her boyfriend to kill her.
(b) She dies of a heart attack.
(c) No one is sure.
(d) She throws herself down a well.
10. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
(a) She is having an extramarital affair.
(b) He senses that she longs for a child.
(c) She tells him she wants to get a divorce.
(d) She begins to drink excessively.
11. Why doesn't a fire truck intervene during the house fire in Dorcas's home?
(a) It is out of gas.
(b) It is waiting for a fire in a white neighborhood.
(c) All the firemen are on strike.
(d) It is broken down.
12. What do Violet and Joe do all night the first time they meet?
13. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
(a) Peppermint candy.
(c) A dress.
(d) A horse.
14. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
(a) His sister.
(c) His mother.
15. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
(a) A newborn cat.
(b) A strong axe.
(c) A babydoll.
(d) A sweet apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
2. What does Joe take with him to the park?
3. How does Violet meet Joe?
4. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
5. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)