|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the white men refer to the best hunter?
(a) As a farce and a scam.
(b) As a genius.
(c) As a hypnotist.
(d) As a witch doctor.
2. What does Malvonne include in the letter from Hot Steam to Daddy Sage?
(a) Violet's phone number.
(b) A Bible passage.
(c) An article about adultery.
(d) Five dollars.
3. What do Violet and Joe do all night the first time they meet?
4. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
(a) "I love you".
(b) "You're an angel".
(c) "You're the best man I ever met".
(d) "Please help me".
5. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They do not want to be separated by the table.
(b) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
(c) They do not want to lose their places.
(d) They aren't hungry.
6. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
(a) She is afraid she is reported for having stolen mail.
(b) The young black girl is Malvonne's daughter.
(c) She is threatened by the police.
(d) She is afraid the girl has to get a low-paying job instead.
7. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
(b) True Belle.
8. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
(a) Become pregnant.
(b) Have an affair in their home.
(c) Kill his pet dog.
(d) Leave Joe forever.
9. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
(a) She is killed by a boyfriend.
(b) She gradually becomes insane.
(c) She dies in a housefire.
(d) She runs away to Mexico.
10. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Set his hair on fire.
(b) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(c) Cook breakfast for him.
(d) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
11. What does Violet see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) A friendly, mature girl.
(b) An angry, disturbed teenager.
(c) A sweet, beautiful woman.
(d) A stubborn girl needing a haircut.
12. What does Joe think about Adam and the Garden of Eden?
(a) He thinks the apple is worth the expulsion.
(b) He thinks Eve should never offer the fruit.
(c) He thinks Adam is incredibly stupid.
(d) He thinks it is all a made-up story.
13. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She is tall and beautiful.
(b) She is much more mature than they.
(c) She is smarter and sharper.
(d) She wears unfashionable clothing.
14. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
(a) All blacks must leave the train car.
(b) Breakfast is being served.
(c) It is time to separate from the white customers.
(d) No black couples remain together.
15. What does Violet wear that makes her look crazy?
(a) Long stockings.
(b) A hat.
(c) An overcoat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rose Dear eventually die?
2. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
3. Where does Violet go when she finds out about Joe's affair?
4. When does Alice realize Dorcas and Joe are having an affair?
5. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)