|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following are in Violet's apartment?
(a) Dogs and cats.
(b) Shotguns and cocaine.
(c) Birds and houseplants.
(d) Piles of newspapers.
2. How is Alice Manfred related to Dorcas?
(a) Dorcas is Alice's daughter.
(b) Alice and Dorcas are sisters.
(c) Alice and Dorcas are second cousins.
(d) Alice is Dorcas's aunt.
3. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
(a) "You're an angel".
(b) "You're the best man I ever met".
(c) "I love you".
(d) "Please help me".
4. What does Violet steal during one of her crazy episodes?
(a) A television.
(d) A baby.
5. Why is Violet committed to gaining weight?
(a) She is trying to get the hips and backside she has as a young woman.
(b) She thinks it makes her look crazier.
(c) She wants to be admitted to the hospital.
(d) She thinks it makes Joe feel sorry for her.
6. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
(a) She overdoses on medication.
(b) Dorcas is fired from her job.
(c) She is arrested by the police for murder.
(d) Dorcas's father is killed during a race riot.
7. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
(a) She is Violet's nanny.
(b) She is Violet's grandmother.
(c) She is Violet's older sister.
(d) She is Violet's school teacher.
8. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
(a) All blacks must leave the train car.
(b) It is time to separate from the white customers.
(c) Breakfast is being served.
(d) No black couples remain together.
9. What does Joe think of when he imagines Dorcas?
(a) A babydoll.
(b) A strong axe.
(c) A newborn cat.
(d) A sweet apple.
10. Why does True Belle send Violet to Palestine?
(a) To go to beauty school.
(b) To get away from Joe.
(c) Violet becomes pregnant.
(d) To pick cotton.
11. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
(a) Joe and Victory.
(b) Joe and his father.
(c) Golden Gray and Lestory.
(d) Joe and Dorcas.
12. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
(b) Unhealthy habits.
(c) Seductive and violent music.
13. What does Dorcas put on Joe's hands?
(a) Aloe vera.
(b) Butter and sugar.
(c) White paint.
(d) Cream and clear nail polish.
14. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Set his hair on fire.
(b) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
(c) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(d) Cook breakfast for him.
15. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
(a) The Midwest.
(d) The North.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moves to Chicago?
2. What does Joe buy Dorcas the first day they meet?
3. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
4. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
5. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)