|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Alice Manfred related to Dorcas?
(a) Dorcas is Alice's daughter.
(b) Alice and Dorcas are second cousins.
(c) Alice is Dorcas's aunt.
(d) Alice and Dorcas are sisters.
2. Why does Joe begin to feel distanced from Violet?
(a) She tells him she wants to get a divorce.
(b) He senses that she longs for a child.
(c) She begins to drink excessively.
(d) She is having an extramarital affair.
3. Where does Violet stop to have two malts?
(a) A jazz club.
(b) Her home.
(c) The drugstore.
(d) The local bar.
4. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
(a) The St. Louis race riots.
(b) Child abuse.
5. Who does the best hunter choose to be his apprentices?
(a) Joe and Victory.
(b) Joe and his father.
(c) Golden Gray and Lestory.
(d) Joe and Dorcas.
6. What does Joe not recall from his early days with Violet?
(a) The dresses that she wears.
(c) Specific dates.
(d) What they buy as a couple.
7. What does the green and yellow parrot repeat?
(a) "Please help me".
(b) "You're the best man I ever met".
(c) "I love you".
(d) "You're an angel".
8. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She goes back to Virginia.
(b) She raises children.
(c) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
(d) She becomes a teacher.
9. What type of Dorcas's makeup does Violet find out about?
10. What does Joe see in Dorcas's picture?
(a) An aged, harsh woman.
(b) A woman who looks just like Violet.
(c) A scraggly, shy teenager.
(d) A beautiful, sweet girl.
11. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
(a) The wealthy.
(b) Social workers and teachers.
(c) White male teenagers and adults.
(d) All other blacks.
12. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
(d) Dorcas's pet dog.
13. What happens to Dorcas's mother?
(a) She dies in a housefire.
(b) She runs away to Mexico.
(c) She gradually becomes insane.
(d) She is killed by a boyfriend.
14. How does Violet decide to get back at Joe?
(a) Leave Joe forever.
(b) Become pregnant.
(c) Have an affair in their home.
(d) Kill his pet dog.
15. What do Violet and Joe do all night the first time they meet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends the parade with Dorcas in 1917?
2. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
3. What happens to Violet after she attacks Dorcas's body?
4. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
5. What area does the author describe in springtime?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)