|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who moves to Chicago?
(a) Sweetness, Malvonne's nephew.
(b) True Belle.
(d) Rose Dear.
2. Who does Dorcas stay with when Alice goes to work?
(a) True Belle.
(b) The Miller sisters.
(c) Joe's mother.
(d) No one.
3. How long does it take for Joe and Violet to pay off the debt on their farm?
(a) Six months.
(b) Twenty-two years.
(c) They never pay it off.
(d) Five years.
4. What does Violet's father bring the children when he visits?
5. What happens to Violet after she attacks Dorcas's body?
(a) She becomes more compassionate.
(b) She is arrested and tried.
(c) She feels split into two people.
(d) She loses her affinity for violence.
6. Who does Dorcas cry for during her mother's funeral?
(a) Her dolls.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
7. Why do the Miller sisters call the police station repeatedly?
(a) They are crazy.
(b) To report restaurants serving alcohol.
(c) They imagine they hear thieves in their home.
(d) As a way to keep Dorcas from misbehaving.
8. In the beginning of the book, why does Joe say he shoots Dorcas?
(a) He wants to keep the feeling of love going.
(b) She tries to rob him.
(c) He wants to capture her forever.
(d) He is trying to shoot someone else.
9. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
(a) They are overjoyed for the couple.
(b) They are glad Joe and Violet are moving away.
(c) They are surprised.
(d) They are disappointed and vow never to speak to Joe again.
10. Why does Joe want to stay near Dorcas after he shoots her?
(a) He wants her to keep from falling.
(b) He wants her to die in his arms.
(c) He doesn't want anyone else to touch her.
(d) He wants to be arrested and taken to prison.
11. How much does Joe pay for the bedroom he and Dorcas meet in?
(a) Two dollars a month.
(c) Five dollars an hour.
(d) He trades handiwork for the use of the bedroom.
12. What are the Civic Daughters planning when Joe delivers the cosmetics?
(a) An Easter Egg hunt.
(b) Dorcas's engagement party.
(c) A Thanksgiving fundraiser.
(d) The debutante ball.
13. Who attends the parade with Dorcas in 1917?
(a) Joe and Violet.
(b) Alice Manfred.
(c) Joe only.
(d) No one.
14. Who does Alice try to teach Dorcas to avoid?
(a) All other blacks.
(b) The wealthy.
(c) Social workers and teachers.
(d) White male teenagers and adults.
15. What does the train conductor announce when he walks through the cabin where Joe and Violet are standing?
(a) All blacks must leave the train car.
(b) No black couples remain together.
(c) Breakfast is being served.
(d) It is time to separate from the white customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about Neola Miller?
2. What is True Belle's relationship to Violet?
3. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
4. What does Alice Manfred do for a living?
5. What is the 1917 parade protesting?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)