|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is special about Neola Miller?
(a) She is a genius.
(b) She is deaf.
(c) Her hair is bright yellow.
(d) Her left arm is paralyzed over her heart.
2. What does Violet do when the cotton crop is harvested?
(a) She becomes a teacher.
(b) She raises children.
(c) She goes back to Virginia.
(d) She stays in the neighborhood and works for a family.
3. How is Violet described by the author?
(a) Chubby and pleasant.
(b) Attractive and haunting.
(c) Skinny and over fifty.
(d) Wrinkly and harsh.
4. Where does Violet's father travel to look for work?
(a) The Midwest.
(c) The North.
5. What is the reaction from Joe's friends and family when he and Violet move to the city?
(a) They are glad Joe and Violet are moving away.
(b) They are overjoyed for the couple.
(c) They are disappointed and vow never to speak to Joe again.
(d) They are surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Joe pray sends him a sign as he sits in the bushes?
2. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
3. Who lives with Joe on Lenox Avenue?
4. What happens the same day Dorcas's mother is burned in the house fire?
5. What is Joe selling when he meets Dorcas?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)