|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Malvonne want to make sure the young black girl's letter gets to the law school?
(a) She is afraid she is reported for having stolen mail.
(b) She is threatened by the police.
(c) The young black girl is Malvonne's daughter.
(d) She is afraid the girl has to get a low-paying job instead.
2. Where do Dorcas's clothespin dolls lay?
(a) On the floor of the burnt-down home.
(b) In a cigar box.
(c) Within an old oak tree.
(d) Under her pillow.
3. Who tells Violet Dorcas's address?
(b) True Belle.
4. Why is Dorcas rejected by teenage boys her own age?
(a) She wears unfashionable clothing.
(b) She is smarter and sharper.
(c) She is tall and beautiful.
(d) She is much more mature than they.
5. Why do Joe and Violet continue to dance standing in the train car?
(a) They do not want to lose their places.
(b) They aren't hungry.
(c) They are afraid to sit down for fear they are punished.
(d) They do not want to be separated by the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who moves to Chicago?
2. What does Malvonne include in the letter from Hot Steam to Daddy Sage?
3. Who understands, like Joe, what it feels like to feel nothing inside?
4. What does Violet try to do to Dorcas's face?
5. What does Violet find in the bottom of the parrot's cage?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)