|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author suppose Violet does while Joe is looking out the window and crying?
(a) Pack up her belongings and leave.
(b) Put her arms around him and comfort him.
(c) Cook breakfast for him.
(d) Set his hair on fire.
2. Where do Dorcas's clothespin dolls lay?
(a) On the floor of the burnt-down home.
(b) Within an old oak tree.
(c) In a cigar box.
(d) Under her pillow.
3. Who sits on every street corner, according to the author?
(a) Young prostitutes.
(b) Single mothers.
(c) Blind beggars.
(d) Blues musicians.
4. What, in Dorcas's mind, is wrong with Joe?
(a) He is cognitively impaired.
(b) He adores Dorcas, no matter what she does.
(c) He has no sensitive side.
(d) He has no musical talent.
5. When does Alice realize Dorcas and Joe are having an affair?
(a) Thanksgiving dinner.
(b) After Dorcas is dead.
(c) The first night Dorcas and Joe meet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the true reason Dorcas breaks up with Joe?
2. Who does Alice eventually allow to come visit her at home?
3. What does Alice protect Dorcas from?
4. Why is Joe jealous of the young men on the street?
5. How much debt does Joe and Violet have on the land?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)