|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Brenda do to Jazmin?
2. What will Jazmin have in her new apartment?
3. Over what did Jazmin and CeCe play fight?
4. What helps Jazmin calm down?
5. What is Jazmin doing on her last day on Amsterdam Avenue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the man who tries to get Jazmin's attention.
2. What is the one thing that other girls have that Jazmin wishes that she had as well?
3. Through what stages does Jazmin's mother go before she gets put in the mental hospital?
4. How does CeCe decorate for Christmas?
5. What has Mrs. Vogel done for Jazmin?
6. To what different circumstances do the girls respond with laughter?
7. How do the people at Jazmin's mother's hospital know who Jazmin is?
8. What sorts of things does Jazmin's mother worry about?
9. In Jazmin's poem, what is the light from that pierces that darkness?
10. How does Jazmin handle Brenda's bullying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the racial atmosphere of the time period in which this novel is set. How does Jazmin handle racism when it touches her life? What is her attitude toward people who look down on her because she is black?
Essay Topic 2
This novel is divided into sections of journal entries, each of which is preceded by a poem. Chose one section and its corresponding poem and describe how the poem ties into that particular section.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of pictures and memories in Jazmin's book. Although Jazmin had no one to take pictures of her as a child, how is she making her own pictures? How does she hold on to memories?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)