|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the main character in the Cosby story that Jazmin really likes?
2. What was Jazmin shopping for at Alexander's department store?
3. What does Jazmin think should happen when on messes up a recipe?
4. Who cuts Jazmin's hair?
5. What jazz artist did Jazmin's father say the close hair cut made her look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Jazmin's poem, what is the light from that pierces that darkness?
2. How does Jazmin handle Brenda's bullying?
3. What does Jazmin laugh about that Sophie thinks is strange?
4. What is the one thing that other girls have that Jazmin wishes that she had as well?
5. Why does Jazmin say that blacks and Jews have much in common?
6. What happens to Jazmin at Carlton's apartment?
7. To what different circumstances do the girls respond with laughter?
8. What sorts of things does Jazmin's mother worry about?
9. How does CeCe decorate for Christmas?
10. What type of mother does Jazmin say that her mother was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jazmin's ideas about parenting. Do you agree with her opinions? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of racism as presented in the novel. How is Jazmin impacted by others' opinion of her based on her skin color? How does she try to overcome this bias?
Essay Topic 3
This novel is divided into sections of journal entries, each of which is preceded by a poem. Chose one section and its corresponding poem and describe how the poem ties into that particular section.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)