|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jazmin shopping for at Alexander's department store?
2. How does Jazmin's teacher describe her profile?
3. Whose advice does Jazmin take?
4. Why doesn't Jazmin go see her mother?
5. What will Jazmin have in her new apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jazmin have in mind for herself in regards to her future?
2. What happens to Jazmin at Carlton's apartment?
3. How do the people at Jazmin's mother's hospital know who Jazmin is?
4. What types of people does Jazmin say shouldn't be parents?
5. What is the one thing that other girls have that Jazmin wishes that she had as well?
6. In Jazmin's poem, what is the light from that pierces that darkness?
7. What type of mother does Jazmin say that her mother was?
8. What does Jazmin's school counselor have in mind for her future?
9. Why does Jazmin say that blacks and Jews have much in common?
10. What are Jazmin's feelings about moving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jazmin's ideas about parenting. Do you agree with her opinions? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
This novel is divided into sections of journal entries, each of which is preceded by a poem. Chose one section and its corresponding poem and describe how the poem ties into that particular section.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jazmin's relationship with her mother with the relationship with her sister.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)