|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sweater does Jazmin wear?
2. What is Jazmin's principal's name?
3. Where does Jazmin live?
4. Why does Jazmin believe the people react the way they do to her?
5. What is one name to which Jazmin does not suggest her name be changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does CeCe hear her parent's argument?
2. Who is Aunt Sarah?
3. What happened to Jazmin's father?
4. Why are there no photos of Jazmin as a child?
5. Why does Jazmin like the stoop?
6. What does CeCe say when Jazmin asks for contacts?
7. What types of businesses does Amsterdam Avenue have?
8. What are Jazmin's parents arguing about the night before she is born?
9. Why does Jazmin think she is unattractive?
10. What is Jazmin's father's opinion of jazz?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the racial atmosphere of the time period in which this novel is set. How does Jazmin handle racism when it touches her life? What is her attitude toward people who look down on her because she is black?
Essay Topic 2
Each section of Jazmin's notebook deals with a particular theme. Choose one section and identify the main theme of this section. Discuss the way Jazmin develops the theme through the experiences that she shares.
Essay Topic 3
What is Aunt Sarah's role in the novel?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)