|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aunt Sarah represent to Jazmin?
2. What kind of coat did Jazmin's father wear?
3. How does Jazmin describe her hair?
4. Who does Jazmin credit with getting her and her sister to their mother's home?
5. What does Jazmin not have with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does CeCe decorate for Christmas?
2. What is the symbolism of Jazmin starting a new notebook when the girls move?
3. What is Jazmin's father's opinion of jazz?
4. How does Jazmin describe the Garden of Eden Bar and Grill?
5. Why does Jazmin think that Jabari is lucky?
6. What phrase is it that Jazmin believes she'll have to go through life saying?
7. How do the people at Jazmin's mother's hospital know who Jazmin is?
8. Describe how CeCe and Jazmin got from their foster home to their mother's home when they ran away.
9. Through what stages does Jazmin's mother go before she gets put in the mental hospital?
10. When does Jazmin think that people will learn to spell her name correctly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the racial atmosphere of the time period in which this novel is set. How does Jazmin handle racism when it touches her life? What is her attitude toward people who look down on her because she is black?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jazmin's relationship with her mother with the relationship with her sister.
Essay Topic 3
Each section of Jazmin's notebook deals with a particular theme. Choose one section and identify the main theme of this section. Discuss the way Jazmin develops the theme through the experiences that she shares.
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)