|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people who Jazmin asks for paper do?
2. What does CeCe not allow in her apartment?
3. How does Jazmin describe her hair?
4. What kind of games are played at the bar?
5. Where did Jazmin lose her poem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does CeCe hear her parent's argument?
2. What do the people think that Jazmin is looking for in the trash cans?
3. Why does CeCe tell Jazmin she is beautiful?
4. How does CeCe convince the two men to stop fighting?
5. How does Jazmin dress when she hopes to attract male attention?
6. Why are there no photos of Jazmin as a child?
7. What is Jazmin's father's opinion of jazz?
8. How does Jazmin say Amsterdam Avenue will fool you?
9. How does Jazmin know the man who gets off the bus is not her father?
10. To what weather related activity does Jazmin compare how her poems come to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the theme of racism as presented in the novel. How is Jazmin impacted by others' opinion of her based on her skin color? How does she try to overcome this bias?
Essay Topic 2
Based on information given in the book, create a chronological account of Jazmin's life.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is divided into sections of journal entries, each of which is preceded by a poem. Chose one section and its corresponding poem and describe how the poem ties into that particular section.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)