|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what decade is the book written?
2. Why is CeCe called to Jazmin's school?
3. Why does Jazmin believe the people react the way they do to her?
4. Where is the card game set up?
5. Who gave Jazmin and CeCe the key to their mother's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jazmin's father want her name spelled as it is?
2. What does CeCe hate for Jazmin to do?
3. Why is it that Jazmin says that CeCe is so good at poker?
4. What is Jazmin's father's opinion of jazz?
5. How does Jazmin say Amsterdam Avenue will fool you?
6. What do the people think that Jazmin is looking for in the trash cans?
7. What does Jazmin mean when she says that words are like mist?
8. What is the lesson that Jazmin learns in the park?
9. Describe how CeCe and Jazmin got from their foster home to their mother's home when they ran away.
10. What happened to Jazmin's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jazmin shows a great will to live and to succeed in life even though she may not have come from the best situation. Why do you believe Jazmin has such a strong will to survive? Why don't more people have this same will?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of Timothy in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
This novel is divided into sections of journal entries, each of which is preceded by a poem. Chose one section and its corresponding poem and describe how the poem ties into that particular section.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)