|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jazmin recognize coins if she doesn't have her glasses on?
2. Where is Jazmin's mother?
3. Of whom do T.C.'s eyes remind Jazmin?
4. To what does Jazmin compare their first apartment?
5. How does Jazmin describe her hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jazmin know the man who gets off the bus is not her father?
2. Why are there no photos of Jazmin as a child?
3. What does Jazmin mean when she says that words are like mist?
4. Why does Jazmin think that Jabari is lucky?
5. What is Jazmin's father's opinion of jazz?
6. How does Jazmin say Amsterdam Avenue will fool you?
7. What does CeCe hate for Jazmin to do?
8. What phrase is it that Jazmin believes she'll have to go through life saying?
9. Why does T.C. pull the gun at the poker party?
10. Why does CeCe tell Jazmin she is beautiful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jazmin shows a great will to live and to succeed in life even though she may not have come from the best situation. Why do you believe Jazmin has such a strong will to survive? Why don't more people have this same will?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of pictures and memories in Jazmin's book. Although Jazmin had no one to take pictures of her as a child, how is she making her own pictures? How does she hold on to memories?
Essay Topic 3
Each section of Jazmin's notebook deals with a particular theme. Choose one section and identify the main theme of this section. Discuss the way Jazmin develops the theme through the experiences that she shares.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)