|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what do Jazmin's parents agree?
2. What is Jazmin's principal's name?
3. What does Jazmin's father do for a living?
4. How does Jazmin say she has been sent to relatives?
5. What kind of businesses are not on Amsterdam Avenue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What phrase is it that Jazmin believes she'll have to go through life saying?
2. Who is Aunt Sarah?
3. What are Jazmin's parents arguing about the night before she is born?
4. What does Jazmin mean when she says that words are like mist?
5. Why does CeCe hear her parent's argument?
6. What happened to Jazmin's father?
7. Describe the street where Jazmin is sitting.
8. How does CeCe convince the two men to stop fighting?
9. How does Jazmin dress when she hopes to attract male attention?
10. When does Jazmin think that people will learn to spell her name correctly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect did Jazmin's father's car wreck, hospital stay and resulting death have on Jazmin?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of racism as presented in the novel. How is Jazmin impacted by others' opinion of her based on her skin color? How does she try to overcome this bias?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Jazmin's relationship with her mother with the relationship with her sister.
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)