|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber has fantasies of __________________.
2. What hope does Cecelia have for newcomers to town?
3. Who is Mattie's only surviving child?
4. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
5. Jayber finds it pleasurable to __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
2. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
3. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
4. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
5. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
6. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
7. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
8. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
9. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
10. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Berry is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jayber learn about the source of Cecelia's true anger? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)