|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Athey's father?
2. Jayber states that war and the economy are _________________.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Mattie?
4. Who is the black woman who raised Athey Keith?
5. Jayber observes Mattie playing with the children at ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
2. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
3. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
4. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
5. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
6. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
7. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
8. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
9. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
10. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jayber learn about the source of Cecelia's true anger? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)