|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cecelia interact with Jayber?
2. What is especially poignant about Jayber's choosing the woman he does?
3. Why does Jayber get upset with Troy at the dance?
4. Jayber thinks that people today are too _____________.
5. Jayber feels that Troy is essentially _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jayber and Athey become good friends?
2. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
3. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
4. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
5. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
6. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
7. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
8. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
9. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
10. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)