|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom do Athey and Della will their farm?
2. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
3. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
4. Which Port William family is severely divided over the Civil War?
5. In 1986, Jayber wonders how many people have purchased shares in _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
2. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
3. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
4. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
5. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
6. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
7. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
8. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
9. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
10. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Troy Chatham. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Troy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the atypical family in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. What does it mean that Jayber has taken on the town of Port William as his family? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Southern families living during this time period?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)