|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jayber take to a Christmas dance at a roadhouse?
2. Who is Mattie's daughter?
3. How does Cecelia interact with Jayber?
4. Who was Athey's father?
5. What is Athey's physical condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
2. How do Jayber and Athey become good friends?
3. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
4. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
5. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
6. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
7. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
8. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
9. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
10. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jayber and Troy. Both men had and have influence over Mattie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Does Berry end the story on a note of hope for Jayber or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Jayber's sense of spirituality as opposed to a belief in formal religion. Why is organized religion counter to Jayber's beliefs? Why is spirituality more akin to Jayber's sensibilities?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)