|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is especially poignant about Jayber's choosing the woman he does?
2. Who does Jayber take to a Christmas dance at a roadhouse?
3. For what reason is Jimmy in jail?
4. What is Athey's physical condition?
5. What breed of dogs does Jayber get?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
2. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
3. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
4. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
5. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
6. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
7. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
8. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
9. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
10. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Athey Keith. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Athey?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)