|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
2. Which Port William family is severely divided over the Civil War?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Mattie?
4. What does a drunk in the barber shop do that prompts Athey to react angrily?
5. What is Mattie doing when Jayber sees her in the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
2. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
3. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
4. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
5. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
6. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
7. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
8. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
9. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
10. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Does Berry end the story on a note of hope for Jayber or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)