|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber is convinced that Christ did not intend to __________________________.
2. Troy mortgages Mattie's farm and turns it into a/an ____________________.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe Mattie?
4. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
5. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
2. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
3. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
4. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
5. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
6. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
7. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
8. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
9. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
10. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)