|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What physical flaw does Jayber have to remind himself of Cecelia's hatred toward him?
2. Into what type of building does Jayber move?
3. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
4. Who cuts Jayber's hair after he moves?
5. How does Jayber recall Athey Keith as being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
2. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
3. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
4. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
5. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
6. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
7. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
8. How do Jayber and Athey become good friends?
9. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
10. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jayber learn about the source of Cecelia's true anger? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. What does it mean that Jayber has taken on the town of Port William as his family? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)