|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jayber's current home located?
2. What does Della tell Jayber about Athey after Athey dies?
3. Jayber has fantasies of __________________.
4. What hope does Cecelia have for newcomers to town?
5. In 1986, Jayber wonders how many people have purchased shares in _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
2. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
3. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
4. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
5. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
6. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
7. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
8. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
9. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
10. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Jayber's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. What does it mean that Jayber has taken on the town of Port William as his family? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Does Berry end the story on a note of hope for Jayber or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)