|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the 1960s, Jayber feels that the world has become ___________________.
2. Jayber feels that he is married to Mattie ___________________.
3. Who are the men who dress in sheets and carry torches and rifles?
4. Who is the black woman who raised Athey Keith?
5. What habit does Jayber begin again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
2. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
3. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
4. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
5. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
6. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
7. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
8. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
9. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
10. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Athey Keith. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Athey?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. What does it mean that Jayber has taken on the town of Port William as his family? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
The search for love is an important theme in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)