|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jayber note about Port William now?
2. What does Della tell Jayber about Athey after Athey dies?
3. How does Jayber recall Athey Keith as being?
4. Jayber feels that Cecelia Overhold and ________________ are the two loneliest people in town.
5. What hope does Cecelia have for newcomers to town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
2. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
3. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
4. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
5. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
6. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
7. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
8. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
9. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
10. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Berry choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)