|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jayber feel for Cecelia and Troy?
2. What can be said about Mattie's character?
3. By the 1960s, Jayber feels that the world has become ___________________.
4. With what does Jayber struggle in his life?
5. Who is Athey's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
2. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
3. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
4. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
5. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
6. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
7. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
8. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
9. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
10. How do Jayber and Athey become good friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Jayber Crow. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jayber?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Jayber's sense of spirituality as opposed to a belief in formal religion. Why is organized religion counter to Jayber's beliefs? Why is spirituality more akin to Jayber's sensibilities?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)