|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed of dogs does Jayber get?
2. How much rent does Jayber pay at his new home?
3. What does Jayber note about Port William now?
4. What is an ever-present threat to Jayber?
5. Why does Mattie ask Jayber to come to Athey's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jayber and Athey become good friends?
2. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
3. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
4. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
5. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
6. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
7. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
8. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
9. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
10. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Jayber and Troy. Both men had and have influence over Mattie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Troy Chatham. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Troy?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)