|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By the 1960s, Jayber feels that the world has become ___________________.
2. What does Della tell Jayber about Athey after Athey dies?
3. What kind of pastry do Burley Coulter and Big Ellis bake?
4. Why does Jayber get upset with Troy at the dance?
5. Where do Jayber and Mattie occasionally meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. What does it mean that Jayber has taken on the town of Port William as his family? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jayber's life. Will he still be alive? Who will be present in his life? Where will he be living? What will his thoughts about the world and religion be by this time? Explain.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)