|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbor who spends a lot of time at the store but doesn't buy anything?
2. Who cuts Jayber's hair?
3. To what city does Jayber head after leaving college?
4. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
5. Jayber feels that most people go to church mostly for _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
2. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
3. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
4. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
5. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
6. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
7. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
8. What is Jayber's obsession with Mattie?
9. Why does Jayber not serve in the army during the war?
10. Why is J torn between the ministry and a secular life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jayber's life. Will he still be alive? Who will be present in his life? Where will he be living? What will his thoughts about the world and religion be by this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Jayber and Troy. Both men had and have influence over Mattie but have their hold on her in very different ways. Why are their differences classic examples of conflict in drama? What other similarities and dissimilarities are there between the two characters?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)