Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Jayber recall Dark Tom's dog eating?
2. When Jayber first opened his shop, the generation that was old and dying remembered _______________.
3. What is notable about Dark Tom?
4. Who takes over Stanley Gibbs' job when he dies?
5. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jayber not serve in the army during the war?
2. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
3. Why is Jayber's last encounter with Mattie so bittersweet?
4. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
5. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
6. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
7. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
8. Why does Jayber buy a car?
9. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
10. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Berry choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jayber learn about the source of Cecelia's true anger? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Troy Chatham. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Troy?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)