|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
2. In which war did Gladdie Finn lose her son?
3. Where does Jayber sleep on his first night back in Port William?
4. What habit does the person in #99 have after he has been drinking?
5. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
2. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
3. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
4. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
5. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
6. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
7. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
8. Why does J begin to doubt the literal truth of the Bible?
9. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
10. What does J encounter when he leaves Lexington bound for home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Berry choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Jayber's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)