|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jayber go to college?
2. In what town does Jayber live with his aunt and uncle?
3. What does Jayber enjoy most about church services?
4. When Jayber first opened his shop, the generation that was old and dying remembered _______________.
5. Where does Jayber keep his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Jayber Crow's barber shop located and who are his patrons?
2. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
3. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
4. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
5. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
6. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
7. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
8. What does Jayber do after he has made the decision to leave college?
9. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
10. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)