|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the men's party in the woods called?
2. Who gives Jayber a ride as he walks toward the city in #42?
3. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
4. After Roy dies, Jayber realizes that Cecelia had always seen Roy as ________________.
5. In what town was Jayber born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
2. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
3. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
4. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
5. What is the premise of the book?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
7. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
8. Why is J both vulnerable and comfortable when he meets with Burley and Mat?
9. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
10. Why does Jayber buy a car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Jayber's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jayber Crow. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jayber?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)