|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In school, Jayber is taught that everything bad is attributed to _________________.
2. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
3. What type of business does Jayber own?
4. What is the atmosphere at the orphanage?
5. When Jayber first opened his shop, the generation that was old and dying remembered _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
2. What is the premise of the book?
3. What does J encounter when he leaves Lexington bound for home?
4. What are Jayber's perceptions of the war?
5. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
7. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
8. Why does Jayber buy a car?
9. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
10. Why is J torn between the ministry and a secular life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. What does it mean that Jayber has taken on the town of Port William as his family? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Southern families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jayber learn about the source of Cecelia's true anger? Explain.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)