|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jayber when Aunt Cordie dies?
2. Why is the Port William barber shop building available?
3. What is Jayber's nickname until the age of ten?
4. What does Jayber enjoy most about church services?
5. Ray Overhold's climbs a tree to avoid being caught by his wife, _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
2. What does Jayber do after he has made the decision to leave college?
3. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
4. What does Jayber discover as he revisits the sites of his childhood?
5. Where is Jayber Crow's barber shop located and who are his patrons?
6. Why does Jayber buy a car?
7. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
8. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
9. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
10. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jayber's life. Will he still be alive? Who will be present in his life? Where will he be living? What will his thoughts about the world and religion be by this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Jayber's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jayber learn about the source of Cecelia's true anger? Explain.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)