|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jayber go after Aunt Cordie dies?
2. Why is Troy Chatham labeled 4-F by the army?
3. How much money does the man in #43 give to Jayber?
4. Who is Mattie Keith's boyfriend?
5. Which of the following is NOT typical of Athey's farming style?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
3. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
4. Why does Jayber buy a car?
5. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
6. What are Jayber's perceptions of the war?
7. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
8. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
9. Why does J begin to doubt the literal truth of the Bible?
10. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Berry choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Jayber's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)