|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ray Overhold's climbs a tree to avoid being caught by his wife, _____________.
2. What does Jayber never forget about a girl he never sees again?
3. As an old man, Jayber thinks that life is very little time and mostly __________________.
4. What is the capital of Kentucky?
5. At what sport does Troy excel in school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
2. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
3. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
4. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
5. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
6. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
7. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
8. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
9. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
10. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment and cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,532 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)