|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who cuts Jayber's hair?
2. What does Jayber feel when he returns to Port William?
3. What does Jayber come to believe about the Bible?
4. At what sport does Troy excel in school?
5. What does Jayber never forget about a girl he never sees again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
2. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
3. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
4. Who is Clydie and what is Jayber's relationship with her?
5. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
6. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
7. Why does Jayber buy a car?
8. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
9. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
10. Why does J begin to doubt the literal truth of the Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important theme in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Berry is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)