|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the uncle who takes Jayber when his parents die?
2. Jayber rationalizes that _____________ does not change God's mind.
3. Who is the man who remembers Jayber as a child and returns him to Port William?
4. How does Jayber get his gardening skills?
5. As Jayber settles into his life, he develops a passion for ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
2. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
3. Why does Jayber not serve in the army during the war?
4. What is the premise of the book?
5. What are some of Jayber's leftover thoughts as he nears the end of his life?
6. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
7. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
8. Why is J both vulnerable and comfortable when he meets with Burley and Mat?
9. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
10. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Athey Keith. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Athey?
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,564 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)