|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what sport does Troy excel in school?
2. In school, Jayber is taught that everything bad is attributed to _________________.
3. Who are Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbors and good friends?
4. Ray Overhold's climbs a tree to avoid being caught by his wife, _____________.
5. What type of business do Mattie's parents own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jayber discover as he revisits the sites of his childhood?
2. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
3. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
4. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
5. Why is J torn between the ministry and a secular life?
6. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
7. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
8. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
9. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
10. What does Jayber do after he has made the decision to leave college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important theme in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)