|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most of the people in the region make a living?
2. What type of business do Mattie's parents own?
3. How much money does the man in #43 give to Jayber?
4. What does Jayber come to believe about the Bible?
5. How does Jayber pay for his college education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jayber not serve in the army during the war?
2. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
3. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
4. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
5. What does J encounter when he leaves Lexington bound for home?
6. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
7. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
8. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
9. Who is Clydie and what is Jayber's relationship with her?
10. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important theme in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the ongoing conflict between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold. What are the main sources of the conflict? Why does it perpetuate? What does Jayber learn about the source of Cecelia's true anger? Explain.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)