|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jayber sleep on his first night back in Port William?
2. What does Jayber never forget about a girl he never sees again?
3. Where does Jayber meet the woman in #101?
4. To what town does Jayber go to get his hair cut?
5. Who is Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbor who spends a lot of time at the store but doesn't buy anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
2. What is the premise of the book?
3. What are Jayber's perceptions of the war?
4. What does Jayber do after he has made the decision to leave college?
5. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
6. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
7. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
8. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
9. Why is J both vulnerable and comfortable when he meets with Burley and Mat?
10. Why does Jayber not serve in the army during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 2
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Troy Chatham. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Troy?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)