|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jayber find most striking about Mattie Keith?
2. How does Jayber pay for his college education?
3. What does Athey Keith call the large stand of timber on his property?
4. Where does Jayber go to college?
5. Which of the following is NOT typical of Athey's farming style?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jayber's perceptions of the war?
2. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
3. What is the premise of the book?
4. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
5. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
6. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
7. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
8. Why does J begin to doubt the literal truth of the Bible?
9. Why does Jayber buy a car?
10. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Athey Keith. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Athey?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Jayber's sense of spirituality as opposed to a belief in formal religion. Why is organized religion counter to Jayber's beliefs? Why is spirituality more akin to Jayber's sensibilities?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)