|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mattie Keith marry?
2. What is Stanley Gibbs' job?
3. Who is the man who remembers Jayber as a child and returns him to Port William?
4. Where does the man in #43 tell Jayber to go to get a job?
5. As an old man, Jayber thinks that life is very little time and mostly __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
2. Why is J torn between the ministry and a secular life?
3. What are Jayber's perceptions of the war?
4. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
5. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
6. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
7. Why does J begin to doubt the literal truth of the Bible?
8. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
9. What is the premise of the book?
10. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Berry is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Berry choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Troy Chatham. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Troy?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)