|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Jayber a ride as he walks toward the city in #42?
2. Why are so many people at the capital building?
3. Jayber feels that most people go to church mostly for _________________.
4. How does the woman in #63 injure Jayber?
5. Who is the uncle who takes Jayber when his parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
2. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
3. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
4. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
5. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
6. What does J encounter when he leaves Lexington bound for home?
7. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
8. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
9. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
10. Where is Jayber Crow's barber shop located and who are his patrons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Athey Keith. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Athey?
Essay Topic 2
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Jayber's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Jayber Crow. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jayber?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)