Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food does Jayber recall Dark Tom's dog eating?
2. When Jayber first opened his shop, the generation that was old and dying remembered _______________.
3. What is notable about Dark Tom?
4. Who takes over Stanley Gibbs' job when he dies?
5. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jayber not serve in the army during the war?
2. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
3. Why is Jayber's last encounter with Mattie so bittersweet?
4. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
5. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
6. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
7. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
8. Why does Jayber buy a car?
9. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
10. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
Essay Topic 2
Berry is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jayber's life. Will he still be alive? Who will be present in his life? Where will he be living? What will his thoughts about the world and religion be by this time? Explain.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)