|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jayber find most striking about Mattie Keith?
2. What does Jayber never forget about a girl he never sees again?
3. How does Jayber get his gardening skills?
4. Jayber says he would recognize Squires Landing by ___________________.
5. Why does Jayber enjoy cutting the hair of the older men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
2. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
3. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
4. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
5. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
6. Why does Jayber not serve in the army during the war?
7. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
8. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
9. What is the premise of the book?
10. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Jayber Crow. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Jayber?
Essay Topic 2
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jayber's life. Will he still be alive? Who will be present in his life? Where will he be living? What will his thoughts about the world and religion be by this time? Explain.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)