|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
2. Jayber says he would recognize Squires Landing by ___________________.
3. What does Jayber feel when he returns to Port William?
4. What is Jayber's favorite duty in the church?
5. How old is Jayber when Aunt Cordie dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
2. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
3. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
4. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
5. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
6. Why does Jayber buy a car?
7. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
8. Why does J begin to doubt the literal truth of the Bible?
9. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
10. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jayber's life. Will he still be alive? Who will be present in his life? Where will he be living? What will his thoughts about the world and religion be by this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Berry choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)