|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit does the person in #99 have after he has been drinking?
2. Jayber goes to work ________________.
3. What does Jayber dislike about the boy in #73?
4. Who gives Jayber a ride as he walks toward the city in #42?
5. Who is the uncle who takes Jayber when his parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
2. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
3. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
4. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
5. Why is Jayber's last encounter with Mattie so bittersweet?
6. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
7. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
8. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
10. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
Essay Topic 1
The search for love is an important theme in JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Mattie Keith. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Mattie?
Essay Topic 3
Does Berry end the story on a note of hope for Jayber or the continuance of his struggle to come to terms with flawed relationships and evolving trends and ways of life? Give your perspective and two reasons to support your answer.
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)