|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jayber go after Aunt Cordie dies?
2. How does the woman in #63 injure Jayber?
3. What does Jayber never forget about a girl he never sees again?
4. Which Port William resident has a dream about his son in the war?
5. What is the Grandstand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
2. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
3. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
4. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
5. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
6. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
7. What does J encounter when he leaves Lexington bound for home?
8. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
9. Who is Clydie and what is Jayber's relationship with her?
10. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Jayber's sense of spirituality as opposed to a belief in formal religion. Why is organized religion counter to Jayber's beliefs? Why is spirituality more akin to Jayber's sensibilities?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Jayber's life. Will he still be alive? Who will be present in his life? Where will he be living? What will his thoughts about the world and religion be by this time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)