|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Brother Whitespade?
2. What does Jayber come to believe about the Bible?
3. Who gives Jayber a ride as he walks toward the city in #42?
4. What does Troy plant in excess?
5. How old is Jayber when Aunt Cordie dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Jayber Crow's barber shop located and who are his patrons?
2. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
3. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
4. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
5. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
6. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
7. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
8. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
9. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
10. Who is Clydie and what is Jayber's relationship with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Jayber's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
JAYBER CROW: A NOVEL is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Berry is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)