|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of pastry do Burley Coulter and Big Ellis bake?
(d) A cake.
2. What is the relationship between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold?
3. Who is Mattie's only surviving child?
4. To whom do Athey and Della will their farm?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Athey and Della's property after their deaths?
(b) No fences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Athey's physical condition?
2. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
3. Which Port William family is severely divided over the Civil War?
4. Who calls to Jayber in a dream?
5. Who is the black woman who raised Athey Keith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
2. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
3. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
4. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
5. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
6. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
7. How do Jayber and Athey become good friends?
8. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
9. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
10. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)