|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jayber states that war and the economy are _________________.
(a) Freaks of nature.
(b) Evil twins.
(c) Siamese twins.
2. Why does Mattie ask Jayber to come to Athey's house?
(a) To shave Athey.
(b) To fix the furnace.
(c) To keep Athey company.
(d) To pray with Athey.
3. What injury prompts Athey Keith to leave the farm?
(a) He breaks his leg.
(b) His spine is injured.
(c) His pelvis is crushed.
(d) He breaks his arm.
4. What does Jayber feel for Mattie?
(a) Pure love.
(b) Mild attraction.
(d) Carnal lust.
5. Who is Athey's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mattie doing when Jayber sees her in the cemetery?
2. How does Cecelia interact with Jayber?
3. What does a drunk in the barber shop do that prompts Athey to react angrily?
4. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
5. Who is the black woman who raised Athey Keith?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
2. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
3. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
4. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
5. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
6. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
7. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
8. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
9. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
10. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)