|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the relationship between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold?
2. Jayber states that war and the economy are _________________.
(b) Siamese twins.
(c) Freaks of nature.
(d) Evil twins.
3. By the 1960s, Jayber feels that the world has become ___________________.
4. With what does Jayber struggle in his life?
(b) Alcohol abuse.
5. Why does Jayber get upset with Troy at the dance?
(a) Troy gets falling-down drunk.
(b) Troy is dancing with a blonde woman.
(c) Troy hits a man with a beer bottle.
(d) Troy starts a fight with Jayber.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the relationship between Troy and Jimmy?
2. Who is the grandson who spends a lot of time with Athey?
3. What is Athey's physical condition?
4. Who are the men who dress in sheets and carry torches and rifles?
5. What is Mattie doing when Jayber sees her in the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
2. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
3. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
4. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
5. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
6. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
7. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
8. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
9. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
10. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)