|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Jayber and Mattie occasionally meet?
(a) State Park.
(b) Nest Egg.
(d) Amusement Park.
2. What is especially poignant about Jayber's choosing the woman he does?
(a) She doesn't know he exists.
(b) He can never have her.
(c) She is too shy to tell him she loves him.
(d) He is too embarrassed to talk to her.
3. What is an ever-present threat to Jayber?
4. Who calls to Jayber in a dream?
(c) Aunt Cordie.
5. What does Jayber learn about Troy?
(a) He is divorcing Mattie.
(b) He has a lot of debt.
(c) He is moving out of state.
(d) He has a terminal illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber observes Mattie playing with the children at ________________.
2. What is Athey's physical condition?
3. Jayber states that war and the economy are _________________.
4. What does Jayber feel for Mattie?
5. What is Mattie doing when Jayber sees her in the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
2. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
3. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
4. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
5. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
6. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
7. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
8. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
9. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
10. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)