|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1986, Jayber wonders how many people have purchased shares in _______________.
2. How do the women of Port William perceive Jayber?
(a) He is abusive.
(b) He is marginal.
(c) He is gay.
(d) He is a womanizer.
3. What silent commitment does Jayber make to Mattie?
(a) To watch out for her finances.
(b) To support an orphanage.
(c) To be the husband she deserves.
(d) To become a minister.
4. Who is the black woman who raised Athey Keith?
5. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
(a) Coca-Cola machine.
(c) Hat rack.
(d) Barber chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jayber's barber shop cited by a government inspector?
2. What does a drunk in the barber shop do that prompts Athey to react angrily?
3. Why does Jayber get upset with Troy at the dance?
4. For which of the following does Jayber NOT pray?
5. Why does Mattie ask Jayber to come to Athey's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
2. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
3. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
4. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
5. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
6. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
7. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
8. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
9. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
10. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)