|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a drunk in the barber shop do that prompts Athey to react angrily?
(a) Makes a racial slur.
(b) Is disrespectful to Jayber.
(c) Tries to cheat Jayber.
(d) Makes an inappropriate comment about Mattie.
2. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
3. Who is Mattie's only surviving child?
4. What does Jayber note about Port William now?
(a) It has a lot of crime.
(b) It is always the same.
(c) Much of it is gone.
(d) It will continue to grow.
5. Who was Athey's father?
(a) Charles Keith.
(b) Clarence Keith.
(c) Connor Keith.
(d) Carter Keith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Mattie?
2. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
3. Jayber states that war and the economy are _________________.
4. Which of the following does NOT describe Athey and Della's property after their deaths?
5. Jayber thinks that people today are too _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
2. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
3. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
4. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
5. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
6. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
7. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
8. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
9. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
10. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)