|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Athey's wife?
2. Who are the men who dress in sheets and carry torches and rifles?
(a) The Ku Klux Klan.
(b) The Regulators.
(c) The White Rose Society.
(d) The Chi Omega fraternity brothers.
3. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
(a) Hat rack.
(b) Barber chair.
(d) Coca-Cola machine.
4. How do the women of Port William perceive Jayber?
(a) He is gay.
(b) He is abusive.
(c) He is a womanizer.
(d) He is marginal.
5. To whom do Athey and Della will their farm?
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed of dogs does Jayber get?
2. Who is the black woman who raised Athey Keith?
3. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
4. Who is Mattie's daughter?
5. Troy mortgages Mattie's farm and turns it into a/an ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
2. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
3. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
4. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
5. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
6. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
7. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
8. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
9. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
10. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)