|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the grandson who spends a lot of time with Athey?
2. What breed of dogs does Jayber get?
(a) Border Collies.
(b) Cocker Spaniels.
(c) Jack Russell Terriers.
3. Jayber feels that Cecelia Overhold and ________________ are the two loneliest people in town.
(a) Maggie Chatham.
(b) Troy Chatham.
(c) Burley Coulter.
(d) Jayber Crow.
4. What does Jayber take with him when he moves?
(a) Coca-Cola machine.
(b) Hat rack.
(d) Barber chair.
5. To whom do Athey and Della will their farm?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Athey's wife?
2. For which of the following does Jayber NOT pray?
3. Why does Jayber get upset with Troy at the dance?
4. What does Jayber learn about Troy?
5. Jayber has fantasies of __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
2. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
3. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
4. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
5. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
6. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
7. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
8. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
9. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
10. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)