|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the grandson who spends a lot of time with Athey?
2. For which of the following does Jayber NOT pray?
(a) Good weather for the football game.
(c) Good intentions for others.
(d) God's will to be done.
3. Why does Mattie ask Jayber to come to Athey's house?
(a) To pray with Athey.
(b) To shave Athey.
(c) To keep Athey company.
(d) To fix the furnace.
4. Which Port William family is severely divided over the Civil War?
5. Jayber thinks that people today are too _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury prompts Athey Keith to leave the farm?
2. Jayber is convinced that Christ did not intend to __________________________.
3. To whom do Athey and Della will their farm?
4. Jayber has fantasies of __________________.
5. Troy Chatham feels that the answer to the future lies in more technology and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jayber struggle by being married to Mattie in his heart only?
2. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
3. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
4. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
5. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
6. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
7. What are the sad circumstances that allow Jayber to spend more time with Mattie?
8. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
9. What does Jayber realize as he begins to pray again?
10. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)