|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the grandson who spends a lot of time with Athey?
2. How does Cecelia interact with Jayber?
(a) She is flirtatious.
(b) She is hostile.
(c) She pretends he doesn't exist.
(d) She makes fun of him in public.
3. What physical flaw does Jayber have to remind himself of Cecelia's hatred toward him?
(a) A scar on his cheek.
(b) A missing finger.
(c) A chipped tooth.
(d) A limp.
4. What is the relationship between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold?
5. Who is Mattie's only surviving child?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
2. How much rent does Jayber pay at his new home?
3. What is the nature of the relationship between Troy and Jimmy?
4. Which Port William family is severely divided over the Civil War?
5. What silent commitment does Jayber make to Mattie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
2. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
3. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
4. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
5. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
6. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
7. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
8. What does Jayber come to realize about the community and the inevitable changes in life?
9. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
10. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)