|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of the relationship between Troy and Jimmy?
2. For which of the following does Jayber NOT pray?
(a) God's will to be done.
(b) Good weather for the football game.
(c) Good intentions for others.
3. What is an ever-present threat to Jayber?
4. What does Jayber learn about Troy?
(a) He is moving out of state.
(b) He has a lot of debt.
(c) He is divorcing Mattie.
(d) He has a terminal illness.
5. Jayber has fantasies of __________________.
(a) Becoming an airline pilot.
(b) Being a bullfighter.
(c) Running for President.
(d) Running away with Mattie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
2. What can be said about Mattie's character?
3. Into what type of building does Jayber move?
4. Jayber observes Mattie playing with the children at ________________.
5. Who are the men who dress in sheets and carry torches and rifles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
2. What does Jayber consider to be the biggest difference between Troy and Mattie?
3. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
4. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
5. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
6. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
7. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
8. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
9. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
10. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)