|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jayber questions why _______________ always succeeds.
2. What hope does Cecelia have for newcomers to town?
(a) That they have children.
(b) That they are superior like she is.
(c) That they are church-goers.
(d) That they will stay for many years.
3. Jayber and ____________ are with Athey when he dies.
4. What breed of dogs does Jayber get?
(b) Cocker Spaniels.
(c) Jack Russell Terriers.
(d) Border Collies.
5. What does Jayber feel for Cecelia and Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of the relationship between Troy and Jimmy?
2. What is Athey's physical condition?
3. Jayber feels that Troy is essentially _______________.
4. Jayber is convinced that Christ did not intend to __________________________.
5. Who does Jayber take to a Christmas dance at a roadhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
2. What allows Jayber to forgive Cecelia and Troy even though they are both people he does not like?
3. What is the defining moment when Jayber commits himself silently to Mattie?
4. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
5. What has happened in the Keith family that makes Troy feel as if he is free from any further obligations?
6. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
7. What lesson does the young Athey learn when his father puts him in charge of killing hogs one day?
8. Describe the dream Jayber has that includes many of his old friends.
9. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
10. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)