|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the 1960s, Jayber feels that the world has become ___________________.
2. What does a drunk in the barber shop do that prompts Athey to react angrily?
(a) Makes an inappropriate comment about Mattie.
(b) Tries to cheat Jayber.
(c) Makes a racial slur.
(d) Is disrespectful to Jayber.
3. What is the nature of Jayber and Mattie's meetings?
4. Who is Mattie's only surviving child?
5. Who does Jayber take to a Christmas dance at a roadhouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jayber feel for Cecelia and Troy?
2. In 1986, Jayber wonders how many people have purchased shares in _______________.
3. To whom do Athey and Della will their farm?
4. Jayber thinks that people today are too _____________.
5. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to occupy much of Jayber's thoughts as he ages?
2. How does the author show that both Jayber and Athey are capable of having compassion even for people they do not like?
3. How does Jayber perceive that Troy is not worthy of being married to Mattie?
4. What is Jayber's life like once he moves to the river?
5. How does the author use the technique of foreshadowing regarding Jimmy?
6. What are the forces that prompt Jayber to move to the river?
7. How does Jayber adjust to the changing world in the 1960s?
8. Where do Jayber and Mattie meet occasionally and what is the nature of their meetings?
9. Describe Jayber's move to the cabin and how he feels about such a transition.
10. What is the deep attraction that Jayber has for Mattie?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)