|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jayber feel when he returns to Port William?
(a) He never missed this place.
(b) He is frightened of the changes.
(c) He is home.
(d) He won't be staying long.
2. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
(a) His willingness to help others.
(b) His interest in the ministry.
(c) His athletic prowess.
(d) His excellent grades.
3. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
(a) A clinic.
(b) A soup kitchen.
(c) A voting place.
(d) A gathering place.
4. How does Jayber get his gardening skills?
(a) Aunt Cordie teaches him.
(b) He buys some books.
(c) He learns by trial and error.
(d) He joins a garden club.
5. How much money does the man in #43 give to Jayber?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jayber rejected by the military?
2. The orphanage's belief is that order comes from _______________.
3. What other job does Jayber take on after Stanley's death?
4. What does Jayber come to believe about the Bible?
5. For what amount does Jayber buy the barber shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
2. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
3. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
4. Where is Jayber Crow's barber shop located and who are his patrons?
5. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
6. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
7. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
8. What is Jayber's obsession with Mattie?
9. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
10. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)