|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose hair is hardest to cut according to Jayber?
(a) Old men's.
(c) Little boys'.
2. Which of the following does NOT take place at the Grandstand?
(a) Fox hunting.
(b) Liquor drinking.
(c) Poetry readings.
(d) Card playing.
3. Where does Jayber sleep on his first night back in Port William?
(a) His barber chair.
(b) A hotel.
(c) Burley's house.
(d) A bed & breakfast.
4. What is Jayber's favorite duty in the church?
(a) Washing the stained glass windows.
(b) Polishing the pews.
(c) Straightening the hymnals.
(d) Ringing the bell.
5. Where does Jayber meet the woman in #101?
(a) The library.
(b) The train station.
(c) The Rosebud Cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jayber pay for his college education?
2. Who is the man who remembers Jayber as a child and returns him to Port William?
3. What business does Uncle Othy have?
4. What employable skill does Jayber learn at the orphanage?
5. What does Troy plant in excess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
2. Why is J both vulnerable and comfortable when he meets with Burley and Mat?
3. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
4. What does J encounter when he leaves Lexington bound for home?
5. Who is Clydie and what is Jayber's relationship with her?
6. What is Jayber's obsession with Mattie?
7. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
8. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
10. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)