|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what town does Jayber go to get his hair cut?
2. What is Jayber's favorite duty in the church?
(a) Ringing the bell.
(b) Polishing the pews.
(c) Straightening the hymnals.
(d) Washing the stained glass windows.
3. What is Jayber's nickname until the age of ten?
4. How do most of the people in the region make a living?
5. What does Jayber purchase in order to keep up with the times?
(a) A refrigerator.
(b) A television.
(c) A radio.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. The orphanage's belief is that order comes from _______________.
2. How old is Jayber when Aunt Cordie dies?
3. Who is Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbor who spends a lot of time at the store but doesn't buy anything?
4. What is notable about Dark Tom?
5. What is the name of the orphanage where Jayber lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
2. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
3. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
4. Why is J both vulnerable and comfortable when he meets with Burley and Mat?
5. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
6. Why is J torn between the ministry and a secular life?
7. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
8. Why does J begin to doubt the literal truth of the Bible?
9. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
10. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)