|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jayber go to college?
(a) The Ohio State University.
(b) Pigeonville College.
(c) University of Kentucky.
(d) Duke University.
2. In what state does Cecelia Overhold's sister live?
(d) New York.
3. Who is Mattie's mother?
4. Why is Jayber rejected by the military?
(a) He has a heart murmur.
(b) He is not rejected.
(c) He is gay.
(d) He has flat feet.
5. What does Athey Keith call the large stand of timber on his property?
(a) God's country.
(d) Nest egg.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Jayber born?
2. To what town does Jayber go to get his hair cut?
3. Who cuts Jayber's hair?
4. What does Jayber never forget about a girl he never sees again?
5. Whose hair is hardest to cut according to Jayber?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
2. Who is Clydie and what is Jayber's relationship with her?
3. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
5. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
6. What role does gardening fill in Jayber's life?
7. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
8. Why is J both vulnerable and comfortable when he meets with Burley and Mat?
9. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
10. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)