|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
(a) His willingness to help others.
(b) His excellent grades.
(c) His athletic prowess.
(d) His interest in the ministry.
2. What habit does the person in #99 have after he has been drinking?
(a) Eats hard candy.
(c) Chews gum.
(d) Chews caraway seeds.
3. At what sport does Troy excel in school?
4. What is the capital of Kentucky?
5. What is the atmosphere at the orphanage?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jayber get his gardening skills?
2. To what town does Jayber go to get his hair cut?
3. Who is Mattie's father?
4. For what amount does Jayber buy the barber shop?
5. What food does Jayber recall Dark Tom's dog eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the internal impetus that drives J to return to his roots?
2. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
3. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
4. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
5. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
6. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
7. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
8. What does Jayber discover as he revisits the sites of his childhood?
9. What is the Grandstand and what role does it serve for the men in the community?
10. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)