|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cecelia Overhold's gripe with Port William?
(a) She has been voted off the City Council.
(b) She thinks it needs a shopping mall.
(c) She feels she has come from the upper class.
(d) She does not like the mayor.
2. Who is Mattie's mother?
3. What does Brother Whitespade name Jonas?
4. Why are so many people at the capital building?
(a) They are war protestors.
(b) They are flood refugees.
(c) They are holding a rally.
(d) They are attending a state funeral.
5. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Aunt Cordie.
(b) Aunt Mattie.
(c) Aunt Delia.
(d) Aunt Jean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbor who spends a lot of time at the store but doesn't buy anything?
2. How does the woman in #63 injure Jayber?
3. In what state does Jayber live?
4. What is changing the way farmers run their farms?
5. For what amount does Jayber buy the barber shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
2. Where is Jayber Crow's barber shop located and who are his patrons?
3. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jayber's interest in Mattie Keith?
5. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
6. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
7. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
8. Describe what life is like for J during his school years.
9. What does Jayber discover as he revisits the sites of his childhood?
10. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)