|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Brother Whitespade?
(a) Principal at the orphanage.
(b) Head monk at the monastery.
(c) A local TV celebrity.
(d) Principal at the Catholic school.
2. What other job does Jayber take on after Stanley's death?
(a) Church custodian.
(b) Asst. football coach.
(c) Gas station attendant.
(d) Hardware store manager.
3. When Jayber first opened his shop, the generation that was old and dying remembered _______________.
(a) World War I.
(b) The Korean War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Civil War.
4. Jayber rationalizes that _____________ does not change God's mind.
(d) Wishful thinking.
5. Which of the following does NOT take place at the Grandstand?
(a) Liquor drinking.
(b) Fox hunting.
(c) Card playing.
(d) Poetry readings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mattie Keith's boyfriend?
2. To what town does Jayber go to get his hair cut?
3. What type of business do Mattie's parents own?
4. What type of business does Jayber own?
5. What does Jayber enjoy most about church services?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jayber discover as he revisits the sites of his childhood?
2. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
3. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
4. How does J come to purchase the barber shop in Port William?
5. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
6. Why does Jayber buy a car?
7. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
8. Why is J torn between the ministry and a secular life?
9. How do Athey and Troy differ in their views on how a farm should be run?
10. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)