|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Grandstand?
(a) A fairgrounds building.
(b) A bar.
(c) A men's hangout.
(d) A college band.
2. What does Jayber feel when he returns to Port William?
(a) He won't be staying long.
(b) He never missed this place.
(c) He is frightened of the changes.
(d) He is home.
3. For what amount does Jayber buy the barber shop?
4. Jayber goes to work ________________.
(a) As a barber.
(b) Selling Bibles.
(c) Fixing cars.
(d) On a road crew.
5. After Roy dies, Jayber realizes that Cecelia had always seen Roy as ________________.
(a) Her burden.
(b) Her child.
(c) Her enemy.
(d) Her hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is changing the way farmers run their farms?
2. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
3. What is the men's party in the woods called?
4. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
5. What type of business do Mattie's parents own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
2. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
3. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
4. Where is Jayber Crow's barber shop located and who are his patrons?
5. Who does Jonas live with after his parents die?
6. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
7. What does Jayber do after he has made the decision to leave college?
8. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
9. What is the premise of the book?
10. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)