|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jayber says he would recognize Squires Landing by ___________________.
(a) The look of the sky.
(b) The sound of the children.
(c) The whistles of trains.
(d) The sound of trout jumping in the river.
2. Who is the man who remembers Jayber as a child and returns him to Port William?
(a) Bob Gordon.
(b) Buck Adams.
(c) Burley Coulter.
(d) Billy Whelan.
3. Where does Jayber go after Aunt Cordie dies?
(a) His great-aunt's home.
(b) A Catholic boarding school.
(c) A monastery.
(d) An orphanage.
4. Who gives Jayber a ride as he walks toward the city in #42?
(a) Joe Tuttle.
(b) Sam Hanks.
(c) Ezra Worthington.
(d) Johnson Hall.
5. What employable skill does Jayber learn at the orphanage?
(c) Auto mechanics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jayber keep his money?
2. Who cuts Jayber's hair?
3. As an old man, Jayber thinks that life is very little time and mostly __________________.
4. What is Jayber's favorite duty in the church?
5. Where does the man in #43 tell Jayber to go to get a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of the river in Jayber's life?
2. Why is Jayber's last encounter with Mattie so bittersweet?
3. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
4. What spiritual moments about the past and present does Jayber experience in church?
5. What are some of Jayber's leftover thoughts as he nears the end of his life?
6. How does Jayber first encounter Mattie Keith?
7. Why is J conflicted about the scholarship opportunity and his own personality?
8. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
9. Who are some of the friends and neighbors little Jonas calls aunt and uncle while living with Othy and Cordie?
10. Who is Clydie and what is Jayber's relationship with her?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)