|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Aunt Jean.
(b) Aunt Mattie.
(c) Aunt Cordie.
(d) Aunt Delia.
2. Jayber goes to work ________________.
(a) On a road crew.
(b) As a barber.
(c) Selling Bibles.
(d) Fixing cars.
3. Where does Jayber go after Aunt Cordie dies?
(a) A monastery.
(b) A Catholic boarding school.
(c) His great-aunt's home.
(d) An orphanage.
4. What does Jayber purchase in order to keep up with the times?
(a) A car.
(b) A television.
(c) A radio.
(d) A refrigerator.
5. What is the name of the town where Jayber lives?
(d) Port William.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jayber mention recalling as she walked home past his shop?
2. What business does Uncle Othy have?
3. With What does Jayber struggle regarding the church?
4. Who is the uncle who takes Jayber when his parents die?
5. What is Jayber's given name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does J encounter Burley Coulter and what does Burley encourage J to do?
2. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
3. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
4. What symbols does the author use to portray little Jayber's shattered life?
5. What are Jayber's perceptions of the war?
6. What does Jayber do after he has made the decision to leave college?
7. What is Jayber's tone as he, now an old man, recalls his life?
8. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
9. What does Jayber discover as he revisits the sites of his childhood?
10. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)