|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brother Whitespade name Jonas?
2. In what state does Jayber live?
3. Where does Jayber go after Aunt Cordie dies?
(a) A monastery.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) His great-aunt's home.
(d) A Catholic boarding school.
4. Where does Jayber sleep on his first night back in Port William?
(a) His barber chair.
(b) A bed & breakfast.
(c) A hotel.
(d) Burley's house.
5. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
(a) A clinic.
(b) A gathering place.
(c) A soup kitchen.
(d) A voting place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the black family who lives across the river from Jayber's aunt and uncle's farm?
2. Whose hair is hardest to cut according to Jayber?
3. What does Jayber do sometimes when the church is empty?
4. Jayber says he would recognize Squires Landing by ___________________.
5. What does Sam Hanks refuse to do when Jayber cuts his hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Jayber's burying Stanley Gibbs?
2. Why does Jayber feel he has betrayed Athey when he talks to Troy about farming?
3. How does little Jonas get the nickname "J?"
4. What is Cecelia's opinion of her husband, Roy, and why does she consider Jayber to be her enemy?
5. Why is J both vulnerable and comfortable when he meets with Burley and Mat?
6. Why is J torn between the ministry and a secular life?
7. What is the environment of Port William like and how does J (who is not called Jayber) fit in?
8. What is the philosophy of the orphanage and how does it impact Jayber?
9. What is Cecelia Overhold's opinion of Port William?
10. What does J encounter when he leaves Lexington bound for home?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)