|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the women of Port William perceive Jayber?
(a) He is gay.
(b) He is marginal.
(c) He is a womanizer.
(d) He is abusive.
2. With what does Jayber struggle in his life?
(c) Alcohol abuse.
3. Jayber thinks that people today are too _____________.
4. What silent commitment does Jayber make to Mattie?
(a) To watch out for her finances.
(b) To be the husband she deserves.
(c) To become a minister.
(d) To support an orphanage.
5. Why is Jayber's barber shop cited by a government inspector?
(a) It does not have a hand sanitizer.
(b) It has no running water.
(c) It does not have a handicapped ramp.
(d) It does not have paper towels.
6. What hope does Cecelia have for newcomers to town?
(a) That they have children.
(b) That they will stay for many years.
(c) That they are superior like she is.
(d) That they are church-goers.
7. Why does Mattie ask Jayber to come to Athey's house?
(a) To fix the furnace.
(b) To pray with Athey.
(c) To shave Athey.
(d) To keep Athey company.
8. What is Athey's physical condition?
(a) He has Diabetes.
(b) He has lung cancer.
(c) He has tuberculosis.
(d) He has been having strokes.
9. How does Jayber recall Athey Keith as being?
10. Who is Athey's wife?
11. Why does Jayber get upset with Troy at the dance?
(a) Troy is dancing with a blonde woman.
(b) Troy gets falling-down drunk.
(c) Troy hits a man with a beer bottle.
(d) Troy starts a fight with Jayber.
12. Jayber feels that Troy is essentially _______________.
13. Jayber has fantasies of __________________.
(a) Running for President.
(b) Being a bullfighter.
(c) Running away with Mattie.
(d) Becoming an airline pilot.
14. How much rent does Jayber pay at his new home?
15. Who are the men who dress in sheets and carry torches and rifles?
(a) The White Rose Society.
(b) The Regulators.
(c) The Chi Omega fraternity brothers.
(d) The Ku Klux Klan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Troy mortgages Mattie's farm and turns it into a/an ____________________.
2. By the 1960s, Jayber feels that the world has become ___________________.
3. Who calls to Jayber in a dream?
4. Where is Jayber's current home located?
5. Which of the following does NOT describe Mattie?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)