|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe Athey and Della's property after their deaths?
(c) No fences.
2. What is the nature of Jayber and Mattie's meetings?
3. What can be said about Mattie's character?
(a) She is deceitful.
(b) She is honest.
(c) She is cunning.
(d) She is aggressive.
4. What is Mattie doing when Jayber sees her in the cemetery?
(a) Planting flowers.
(b) Polishing a headstone.
(c) Lying on her child's grave.
(d) Clipping grass.
5. Jayber is convinced that Christ did not intend to __________________________.
(a) Live very long.
(b) Found organized religion.
(c) Scare people.
(d) Die at such a young age.
6. What is especially poignant about Jayber's choosing the woman he does?
(a) He can never have her.
(b) She is too shy to tell him she loves him.
(c) He is too embarrassed to talk to her.
(d) She doesn't know he exists.
7. Which Port William family is severely divided over the Civil War?
8. How is Mattie's daughter killed?
(a) Hit by a car.
(c) Congenital heart disease.
9. Who does Jayber take to a Christmas dance at a roadhouse?
10. What does Della tell Jayber about Athey after Athey dies?
(a) He listed Jayber in his will.
(b) He never knew his mother.
(c) He was married before.
(d) He had a child with another woman.
11. Why is Jayber's barber shop cited by a government inspector?
(a) It has no running water.
(b) It does not have a handicapped ramp.
(c) It does not have paper towels.
(d) It does not have a hand sanitizer.
12. To whom do Athey and Della will their farm?
13. What is the nature of the relationship between Troy and Jimmy?
14. In 1986, Jayber wonders how many people have purchased shares in _______________.
15. What does Jayber feel for Cecelia and Troy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber observes Mattie playing with the children at ________________.
2. Who was Athey's father?
3. Who is Athey's wife?
4. What physical flaw does Jayber have to remind himself of Cecelia's hatred toward him?
5. Who are the men who dress in sheets and carry torches and rifles?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)