|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of Jayber and Mattie's meetings?
2. What does Jayber note about Port William now?
(a) It will continue to grow.
(b) It is always the same.
(c) It has a lot of crime.
(d) Much of it is gone.
3. What injury prompts Athey Keith to leave the farm?
(a) His spine is injured.
(b) He breaks his leg.
(c) His pelvis is crushed.
(d) He breaks his arm.
4. What silent commitment does Jayber make to Mattie?
(a) To be the husband she deserves.
(b) To watch out for her finances.
(c) To support an orphanage.
(d) To become a minister.
5. Why does Jayber get upset with Troy at the dance?
(a) Troy starts a fight with Jayber.
(b) Troy is dancing with a blonde woman.
(c) Troy hits a man with a beer bottle.
(d) Troy gets falling-down drunk.
6. What hope does Cecelia have for newcomers to town?
(a) That they will stay for many years.
(b) That they are church-goers.
(c) That they are superior like she is.
(d) That they have children.
7. What is especially poignant about Jayber's choosing the woman he does?
(a) He is too embarrassed to talk to her.
(b) She doesn't know he exists.
(c) He can never have her.
(d) She is too shy to tell him she loves him.
8. With what does Jayber struggle in his life?
(c) Alcohol abuse.
9. Jayber is convinced that Christ did not intend to __________________________.
(a) Die at such a young age.
(b) Scare people.
(c) Found organized religion.
(d) Live very long.
10. Jayber observes Mattie playing with the children at ________________.
(a) The playground.
(b) The nursery school.
(c) Bible School.
(d) Her home.
11. What does Jayber feel for Mattie?
(a) Mild attraction.
(b) Carnal lust.
(c) Pure love.
12. What kind of pastry do Burley Coulter and Big Ellis bake?
(d) A cake.
13. Why is Jayber's barber shop cited by a government inspector?
(a) It has no running water.
(b) It does not have a hand sanitizer.
(c) It does not have a handicapped ramp.
(d) It does not have paper towels.
14. What is the relationship between Jayber and Cecelia Overhold?
15. Jayber feels that Cecelia Overhold and ________________ are the two loneliest people in town.
(a) Maggie Chatham.
(b) Jayber Crow.
(c) Burley Coulter.
(d) Troy Chatham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jayber states that war and the economy are _________________.
2. Troy mortgages Mattie's farm and turns it into a/an ____________________.
3. Who is the black woman who raised Athey Keith?
4. Jayber questions why _______________ always succeeds.
5. Why does Mattie ask Jayber to come to Athey's house?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)