|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cecelia Overhold's gripe with Port William?
(a) She thinks it needs a shopping mall.
(b) She has been voted off the City Council.
(c) She does not like the mayor.
(d) She feels she has come from the upper class.
2. Whose hair is hardest to cut according to Jayber?
(b) Little boys'.
(c) Old men's.
3. What does Troy plant in excess?
4. What does Sam Hanks refuse to do when Jayber cuts his hair?
(a) Take the $5 that he had once given Jayber.
(b) Have any styling gel added to his hair.
(c) Get a shave.
(d) Have his hair washed.
5. Why are so many people at the capital building?
(a) They are holding a rally.
(b) They are war protestors.
(c) They are attending a state funeral.
(d) They are flood refugees.
6. What does Jayber never forget about a girl he never sees again?
(a) Her kiss.
(b) Her perfume.
(c) Her laugh.
(d) Her eyes.
7. At what sport does Troy excel in school?
8. Who is the bank board member who sells the barber shop to Jayber?
(a) Mr. Kerrigan.
(b) Mr. Hayes.
(c) Mr. Adams.
(d) Mr. Feltner.
9. How does the woman in #63 injure Jayber?
(a) She stabs him with a corkscrew.
(b) She smashes a bottle over his head.
(c) She slashes him with a knife.
(d) She throws a rock at him.
10. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
(a) His interest in the ministry.
(b) His excellent grades.
(c) His athletic prowess.
(d) His willingness to help others.
11. At what age does Jayber register for the draft?
12. What does Jayber feel when he returns to Port William?
(a) He never missed this place.
(b) He won't be staying long.
(c) He is frightened of the changes.
(d) He is home.
13. Who does Jayber mention recalling as she walked home past his shop?
(a) Marlene Winner.
(b) Megan Witmer.
(c) Mattie Keith.
(d) Marla Grey.
14. What type of business do Mattie's parents own?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A farm.
(c) A service station.
(d) A medical clinic.
15. How does Jayber pay for his college education?
(b) Bank loans.
(c) A benefactor.
(d) He gets a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Roy dies, Jayber realizes that Cecelia had always seen Roy as ________________.
2. Who are the black family who lives across the river from Jayber's aunt and uncle's farm?
3. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
4. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
5. Who does Mattie Keith marry?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)