|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river is Jayber intent on seeing after he leaves Lexington?
(a) Mississippi River.
(b) Monongahela River.
(c) Ohio River.
(d) Kentucky River.
2. Who is the man who remembers Jayber as a child and returns him to Port William?
(a) Billy Whelan.
(b) Burley Coulter.
(c) Buck Adams.
(d) Bob Gordon.
3. What type of business does Jayber own?
(b) Grocery store.
(c) Trucking company.
(d) Auto parts store.
4. Why is the Port William barber shop building available?
(a) The barber just died.
(b) The barber is too old to work anymore.
(c) The barber has quit.
(d) The barber moved to a bigger space.
5. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
(a) A basketball star.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) Jayber's medical doctor.
(d) A university instructor.
6. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Aunt Jean.
(b) Aunt Mattie.
(c) Aunt Cordie.
(d) Aunt Delia.
7. Where does the man in #43 tell Jayber to go to get a job?
(a) The trotting tracks.
(b) The newspaper office.
(c) The supermarket.
(d) The library.
8. To what town does Jayber go to get his hair cut?
9. Who is the uncle who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Uncle Otis.
(b) Uncle Orrie.
(c) Uncle Owen.
(d) Uncle Othy.
10. Jayber says he would recognize Squires Landing by ___________________.
(a) The sound of the children.
(b) The whistles of trains.
(c) The look of the sky.
(d) The sound of trout jumping in the river.
11. How does the woman in #63 injure Jayber?
(a) She stabs him with a corkscrew.
(b) She smashes a bottle over his head.
(c) She slashes him with a knife.
(d) She throws a rock at him.
12. Who is Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbor who spends a lot of time at the store but doesn't buy anything?
13. With what element of nature is Jayber especially fascinated?
(a) The sky.
(c) The mountains.
(d) The river.
14. Who are Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbors and good friends?
(a) The Halls.
(b) The Watsons.
(c) The Jacksons.
(d) The Thripples.
15. Which of the following is NOT an interest of Jayber's at the orphanage school?
(c) Wood shop.
(d) Reading books.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jayber head in January of 1937?
2. Who is the woman with whom Jayber has a relationship?
3. What is the men's party in the woods called?
4. To what city does Jayber head after leaving college?
5. Why is Troy Chatham labeled 4-F by the army?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)