|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jayber pay for his college education?
(a) A benefactor.
(b) Bank loans.
(c) He gets a job.
2. In school, Jayber is taught that everything bad is attributed to _________________.
(b) The devil.
(d) The body.
3. What does Jayber enjoy most about church services?
(a) The meals.
(b) The sermons.
(c) The singing.
(d) The fellowship.
4. In what state does Jayber live?
5. What does Jayber dislike about the boy in #73?
(a) His sense of entitlement.
(b) His disrespectful attitude.
(c) His foul mouth.
(d) His cruelty.
6. Where does Jayber keep his money?
(a) The lining of his jacket.
(b) In a coffee can.
(c) In his mattress.
(d) A bank account.
7. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
(a) A soup kitchen.
(b) A clinic.
(c) A gathering place.
(d) A voting place.
8. Where does Jayber sleep on his first night back in Port William?
(a) His barber chair.
(b) Burley's house.
(c) A bed & breakfast.
(d) A hotel.
9. Why can Jayber not register as a conscientious objector?
(a) He is a convicted felon.
(b) He is too old to go into the military.
(c) He does not have any real objections to war.
(d) He needs to stand with the other men of Port William.
10. Where does Jayber meet the woman in #101?
(a) The Rosebud Cafe.
(b) The train station.
(d) The library.
11. What was Jayber's father's job?
(d) Newspaper editor.
12. With What does Jayber struggle regarding the church?
(a) Its council
(b) Its doctrines.
(c) Its financial practices.
(d) Its lack of compassion.
13. Who is Mattie's mother?
14. Who does Jayber mention recalling as she walked home past his shop?
(a) Megan Witmer.
(b) Marlene Winner.
(c) Marla Grey.
(d) Mattie Keith.
15. What other job does Jayber take on after Stanley's death?
(a) Gas station attendant.
(b) Church custodian.
(c) Hardware store manager.
(d) Asst. football coach.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Cecelia Overhold's sister live?
2. Who is Brother Whitespade?
3. Who is the woman with whom Jayber has a relationship?
4. Who are the black family who lives across the river from Jayber's aunt and uncle's farm?
5. What is the name of the orphanage where Jayber lived?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)