|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Jayber keep the shop open?
(a) He closes at 8 p.m.
(b) He is open as long as people are there.
(c) It varies from week to week.
(d) He closes at 6 p.m.
2. What employable skill does Jayber learn at the orphanage?
(d) Auto mechanics.
3. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) Jayber's medical doctor.
(c) A university instructor.
(d) A basketball star.
4. What does Jayber come to believe about the Bible?
(a) He questions some of the passages.
(b) He believes every word in it.
(c) He doubts the literal truth of it.
(d) He has never read the Bible.
5. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
(a) His excellent grades.
(b) His willingness to help others.
(c) His athletic prowess.
(d) His interest in the ministry.
6. What does Jayber enjoy most about church services?
(a) The singing.
(b) The sermons.
(c) The meals.
(d) The fellowship.
7. What event does Jayber recall that causes grief and angst among the people of Port William?
(a) The stock market crash of 1929.
(b) Japanese internment camps.
(c) The attack on Pearl Harbor.
(d) The Korean War.
8. What is Jayber's given name?
9. To what city does Jayber head after leaving college?
10. Jayber goes to work ________________.
(a) As a barber.
(b) Fixing cars.
(c) On a road crew.
(d) Selling Bibles.
11. What is one of Roy's failures according to Cecelia?
(a) He doesn't have many social skills.
(b) He doesn't make much money.
(c) He is going bald.
(d) He doesn't attend church.
12. What is Cecelia Overhold's gripe with Port William?
(a) She does not like the mayor.
(b) She feels she has come from the upper class.
(c) She has been voted off the City Council.
(d) She thinks it needs a shopping mall.
13. What habit does the person in #99 have after he has been drinking?
(a) Chews gum.
(b) Chews caraway seeds.
(d) Eats hard candy.
14. Jayber feels that most people go to church mostly for _________________.
15. Where does Jayber go after Aunt Cordie dies?
(a) A monastery.
(b) An orphanage.
(c) A Catholic boarding school.
(d) His great-aunt's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. The orphanage's belief is that order comes from _______________.
2. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
3. What is the name of the orphanage where Jayber lived?
4. Which of the following is NOT an interest of Jayber's at the orphanage school?
5. At what age does Jayber register for the draft?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)