|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes over Stanley Gibbs' job when he dies?
2. As an old man, Jayber thinks that life is very little time and mostly __________________.
3. What is Cecelia Overhold's gripe with Port William?
(a) She feels she has come from the upper class.
(b) She has been voted off the City Council.
(c) She does not like the mayor.
(d) She thinks it needs a shopping mall.
4. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Aunt Mattie.
(b) Aunt Cordie.
(c) Aunt Jean.
(d) Aunt Delia.
5. In which war did Gladdie Finn lose her son?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) World War I.
6. At what age does Jayber register for the draft?
7. How long does Jayber keep the shop open?
(a) He closes at 6 p.m.
(b) He is open as long as people are there.
(c) He closes at 8 p.m.
(d) It varies from week to week.
8. What does Jayber come to believe about the Bible?
(a) He questions some of the passages.
(b) He doubts the literal truth of it.
(c) He has never read the Bible.
(d) He believes every word in it.
9. Which of the following is NOT typical of Athey's farming style?
10. What does Jayber purchase in order to keep up with the times?
(a) A car.
(b) A radio.
(c) A television.
(d) A refrigerator.
11. Whose hair is hardest to cut according to Jayber?
(b) Little boys'.
(d) Old men's.
12. Where does Jayber head in January of 1937?
13. What other job does Jayber take on after Stanley's death?
(a) Gas station attendant.
(b) Asst. football coach.
(c) Hardware store manager.
(d) Church custodian.
14. What does Jayber do sometimes when the church is empty?
(a) Practices giving sermons.
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Plays the organ.
(d) Sings really loudly.
15. Who are the black family who lives across the river from Jayber's aunt and uncle's farm?
(a) The Feverfews.
(b) The Frenches.
(c) The Fewclothes.
(d) The Furlongs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the atmosphere at the orphanage?
2. In school, Jayber is taught that everything bad is attributed to _________________.
3. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
4. What does Jayber dislike about the boy in #73?
5. How is Jayber perceived at the orphanage?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)