|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jayber sleep on his first night back in Port William?
(a) A hotel.
(b) His barber chair.
(c) A bed & breakfast.
(d) Burley's house.
2. What event does Jayber recall that causes grief and angst among the people of Port William?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) The stock market crash of 1929.
(c) Japanese internment camps.
(d) The attack on Pearl Harbor.
3. Where does Jayber go to college?
(a) Pigeonville College.
(b) University of Kentucky.
(c) The Ohio State University.
(d) Duke University.
4. What does Sam Hanks refuse to do when Jayber cuts his hair?
(a) Get a shave.
(b) Have any styling gel added to his hair.
(c) Have his hair washed.
(d) Take the $5 that he had once given Jayber.
5. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
(a) A soup kitchen.
(b) A gathering place.
(c) A voting place.
(d) A clinic.
6. What does Jayber feel when he returns to Port William?
(a) He is home.
(b) He is frightened of the changes.
(c) He won't be staying long.
(d) He never missed this place.
7. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Aunt Delia.
(b) Aunt Jean.
(c) Aunt Cordie.
(d) Aunt Mattie.
8. Who is the uncle who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Uncle Owen.
(b) Uncle Otis.
(c) Uncle Othy.
(d) Uncle Orrie.
9. Where does Jayber keep his money?
(a) A suitcase.
(b) A big wallet.
(c) The hem of his coat.
(d) An old postal bag.
10. Why is Jayber rejected by the military?
(a) He has a heart murmur.
(b) He is gay.
(c) He has flat feet.
(d) He is not rejected.
11. For what amount does Jayber buy the barber shop?
12. How does Jayber get his gardening skills?
(a) He buys some books.
(b) He joins a garden club.
(c) He learns by trial and error.
(d) Aunt Cordie teaches him.
13. Where does the man in #43 tell Jayber to go to get a job?
(a) The library.
(b) The trotting tracks.
(c) The newspaper office.
(d) The supermarket.
14. How much money does the man in #43 give to Jayber?
15. What does Jayber do sometimes when the church is empty?
(a) Practices giving sermons.
(b) Plays the organ.
(c) Takes a nap.
(d) Sings really loudly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cecelia Overhold's gripe with Port William?
2. What business does Uncle Othy have?
3. Who is Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbor who spends a lot of time at the store but doesn't buy anything?
4. After Roy dies, Jayber realizes that Cecelia had always seen Roy as ________________.
5. What is Jayber's nickname until the age of ten?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)