|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jayber get his gardening skills?
(a) Aunt Cordie teaches him.
(b) He buys some books.
(c) He joins a garden club.
(d) He learns by trial and error.
2. In what town does Jayber live with his aunt and uncle?
(d) Squires Landing.
3. What is changing the way farmers run their farms?
(a) Mechanized farming.
(b) High veterinary bills.
(c) New fertilizers.
(d) Hybrid seeds.
4. What is notable about Dark Tom?
(a) He has a peg leg.
(b) He is blind.
(c) He is an albino.
(d) He has one green eye and one blue eye.
5. In what state does Jayber live?
6. What type of business do Mattie's parents own?
(a) A service station.
(b) A newspaper.
(c) A farm.
(d) A medical clinic.
7. Who is Dr. Ardmire?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A basketball star.
(c) A university instructor.
(d) Jayber's medical doctor.
8. Jayber goes to work ________________.
(a) On a road crew.
(b) As a barber.
(c) Fixing cars.
(d) Selling Bibles.
9. How is Jayber perceived at the orphanage?
(a) An artist.
(b) An observer.
(c) A troublemaker.
(d) An athlete.
10. What is the name of the town where Jayber lives?
(c) Port William.
11. What does Jayber dislike about the boy in #73?
(a) His cruelty.
(b) His sense of entitlement.
(c) His foul mouth.
(d) His disrespectful attitude.
12. How do most of the people in the region make a living?
13. What is Jayber's given name?
14. What other job does Jayber take on after Stanley's death?
(a) Gas station attendant.
(b) Hardware store manager.
(c) Church custodian.
(d) Asst. football coach.
15. What is Jayber's favorite duty in the church?
(a) Ringing the bell.
(b) Washing the stained glass windows.
(c) Straightening the hymnals.
(d) Polishing the pews.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does the man in #43 give to Jayber?
2. Who are the black family who lives across the river from Jayber's aunt and uncle's farm?
3. The orphanage's belief is that order comes from _______________.
4. Where does Jayber sleep on his first night back in Port William?
5. Whose hair is hardest to cut according to Jayber?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)