|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbor who spends a lot of time at the store but doesn't buy anything?
2. How does the woman in #63 injure Jayber?
(a) She slashes him with a knife.
(b) She stabs him with a corkscrew.
(c) She smashes a bottle over his head.
(d) She throws a rock at him.
3. What does Jayber purchase in order to keep up with the times?
(a) A television.
(b) A radio.
(c) A refrigerator.
(d) A car.
4. Where does Jayber head in January of 1937?
5. What does Jayber's shop become for the town?
(a) A soup kitchen.
(b) A gathering place.
(c) A clinic.
(d) A voting place.
6. Who is Mattie's father?
7. What event does Jayber recall that causes grief and angst among the people of Port William?
(a) The attack on Pearl Harbor.
(b) Japanese internment camps.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) The stock market crash of 1929.
8. How does Jayber get his gardening skills?
(a) He learns by trial and error.
(b) He joins a garden club.
(c) He buys some books.
(d) Aunt Cordie teaches him.
9. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Aunt Mattie.
(b) Aunt Delia.
(c) Aunt Jean.
(d) Aunt Cordie.
10. In what town was Jayber born?
11. Who are the black family who lives across the river from Jayber's aunt and uncle's farm?
(a) The Feverfews.
(b) The Furlongs.
(c) The Frenches.
(d) The Fewclothes.
12. Which of the following does NOT take place at the Grandstand?
(a) Poetry readings.
(b) Fox hunting.
(c) Liquor drinking.
(d) Card playing.
13. When Jayber first opened his shop, the generation that was old and dying remembered _______________.
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The Korean War.
14. Who is Brother Whitespade?
(a) Head monk at the monastery.
(b) Principal at the Catholic school.
(c) A local TV celebrity.
(d) Principal at the orphanage.
15. In what town does Jayber live with his aunt and uncle?
(c) Squires Landing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jayber go after Aunt Cordie dies?
2. What does Jayber dislike about the boy in #73?
3. Who are Jayber's aunt and uncle's neighbors and good friends?
4. What does Sam Hanks refuse to do when Jayber cuts his hair?
5. What does Brother Whitespade name Jonas?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)