|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jayber's favorite duty in the church?
(a) Straightening the hymnals.
(b) Ringing the bell.
(c) Polishing the pews.
(d) Washing the stained glass windows.
2. Why is Troy Chatham labeled 4-F by the army?
(b) Heart murmur.
(c) A bad knee.
(d) Flat feet.
3. Where does Jayber head in January of 1937?
4. What is the name of the town where Jayber lives?
(a) Port William.
5. What does Jayber come to believe about the Bible?
(a) He has never read the Bible.
(b) He questions some of the passages.
(c) He doubts the literal truth of it.
(d) He believes every word in it.
6. What is the Grandstand?
(a) A men's hangout.
(b) A bar.
(c) A fairgrounds building.
(d) A college band.
7. Jayber recalls hearing about what dramatic weather in 1918?
(b) Ice storm.
(c) Dust storm.
8. What other job does Jayber take on after Stanley's death?
(a) Gas station attendant.
(b) Hardware store manager.
(c) Church custodian.
(d) Asst. football coach.
9. Who is the woman with whom Jayber has a relationship?
10. What is one of Roy's failures according to Cecelia?
(a) He doesn't make much money.
(b) He doesn't have many social skills.
(c) He doesn't attend church.
(d) He is going bald.
11. Who is the aunt who takes Jayber when his parents die?
(a) Aunt Delia.
(b) Aunt Mattie.
(c) Aunt Jean.
(d) Aunt Cordie.
12. Why does Jayber get special privileges at the orphanage?
(a) His willingness to help others.
(b) His interest in the ministry.
(c) His athletic prowess.
(d) His excellent grades.
13. Who is Mattie's mother?
14. What river is Jayber intent on seeing after he leaves Lexington?
(a) Kentucky River.
(b) Monongahela River.
(c) Mississippi River.
(d) Ohio River.
15. Who does Mattie Keith marry?
(a) Terry Samuels.
(b) Troy Chatham.
(c) Tom Gerard.
(d) Tony Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jayber perceived at the orphanage?
2. Whose hair is hardest to cut according to Jayber?
3. What does Athey Keith call the large stand of timber on his property?
4. To what town does Jayber go to get his hair cut?
5. Why can Jayber not register as a conscientious objector?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)