|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was attacked at the vigil in Chapter Five?
2. Why has Jack Lionel wanted to speak with Jasper for a long time?
3. Which of the following is NOT true of Jack's experience the night Laura Wishart dies?
4. Who steps in to ease the tension over the attack at the vigil in Chapter Five?
5. What is the name of the martial arts punch Jeffrey Lu wants to master?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long is Charlie grounded in Chapter Six, and how does he spend that time?
2. Why does Jeffrey look up to Bruce Lee?
3. What plan did Jasper and Laura have before she died?
4. How has Jasper's father done after the death of his mother?
5. How has the relationship between Charlie and Wesley Bucktin changed?
6. How is the town's response to the attack on Mr. Lu different from the abuse that Mrs. Lu suffers?
7. In Chapter Eight, what has become of the members of the Bucktin family since Charlie discovered his mother's affair?
8. What do Charlie and Eliza encounter as they walk toward Jasper's glade in Chapter Seven?
9. Why does the Vigil make Charlie feel that he and Jasper have no real chance of finding Laura's killer?
10. Why is Charlie so distressed to learn that his father has written a novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Australian calendar is quite different from that of the United States and the rest of the Northern Hemisphere. Write an essay detailing the school calendar and the seasons of Australia, and how that reversal might inform our own reading of the text.
Essay Topic 2
Reading and writing are the major outlets for Charlie and Weslie. How do they use these hobbies to inform their interactions with the broader world around them?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Charlie thinks of the way he walks in relation to others. Sometimes he is behind, other times he is in the lead or walking side-by-side with someone else. Write an essay in which you discuss the changes in Charlie's character as he relates to others in this way.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)