|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has died in Charlie's family?
2. Why does Jasper fear reporting the murder in Chapter One?
3. Which description does NOT fit Jeffrey?
4. Why is Jeffrey grounded in Chapter Three?
5. Why does Jasper trust Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is The Wizard of Oz a prominent motif in Chapter Four?
2. How has the search for Laura changed in Chapter Four?
3. Explore Jeffrey and Charlie's use of curse words. How does the author use their vernacular to help clarify their friendship and who they are?
4. Would you describe Jeffrey and Charlie's friendship as close?
5. Jasper has an interesting accent. How does this use of dialect help us to understand him?
6. Why does Jasper come to Charlie?
7. Charlie loves American books about justice, especially in relation to race, Civil Rights, and the Civil War. How do these allusions help us understand Charlie?
8. Why does Jasper fear that he will be accused of Laura's murder?
9. What does Charlie fall asleep thinking about in Chapter Three?
10. Why does Charlie not admire Superman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Australian calendar is quite different from that of the United States and the rest of the Northern Hemisphere. Write an essay detailing the school calendar and the seasons of Australia, and how that reversal might inform our own reading of the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you explore the ways that Jasper, Charlie, Jack Lionel, and Wesley create a new world in which women and minorities have the possibilities of rights and respect. You may focus on one topic or on more than one character.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay in which you explore what it is that makes Jeffrey Lu a superhero.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)