|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who comes to Charlie's window in Chapter Four?
(a) Eliza Wishart.
(b) Jeffrey Lu.
(c) Jasper Jones.
(d) Doug Wishart.
2. When Charlie awakens in Chapter Two, what does he expect to find happening in his neighborhood?
(a) A massive search for Laura.
(b) Breakfast with his parents.
(c) Nothing out of the ordinary.
(d) Policemen at his door.
3. What punishment does Charlie's mother give him for sneaking off and his disrespect in Chapter Three?
(a) She refuses to allow him to see Eliza anymore.
(b) She allows his father to handle all the problems.
(c) She sends him to his room and takes away his books.
(d) She makes him dig a hole and then fill it back in.
4. Why does Charlie most admire Batman?
(a) Batman represents everyone.
(b) Batman could destroy Superman.
(c) Batman has innate superpowers.
(d) Batman has no weaknesses.
5. Why does Mrs. Lu not chastise Jeffrey and Charlie for cursing?
(a) She does not understand English curse words.
(b) She never hears the boys curse.
(c) She wants to be polite to Charlie.
(d) She has a foul mouth herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they walk out of the woods at the end of Chapter One, how does Charlie feel about Jasper?
2. What figurative language is used in the following quote: "our flyscreen door claps against the side of the house" (99)?
3. Who arrives at Charlie's window in the middle of the night as the book opens?
4. How does the cricket coach handle the bullying toward Jeffrey?
5. What has happened to Jeffrey's family, as revealed in Chapter Four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charlie admire Batman?
2. Why does Charlie debate telling Eliza (or not telling her) what he knows about Laura's death?
3. Why does Charlie agree to help Jasper?
4. It is shocking that Jasper wants to hide Laura's body in the river. Does he respect her?
5. Why does Charlie not admire Superman?
6. How has the search for Laura changed in Chapter Four?
7. What is the history of the study in the Bucktin household? How might its current use a study create turmoil?
8. Charlie loves American books about justice, especially in relation to race, Civil Rights, and the Civil War. How do these allusions help us understand Charlie?
9. Explore Jeffrey and Charlie's use of curse words. How does the author use their vernacular to help clarify their friendship and who they are?
10. Why is it unusual that no one is talking about Laura Wishart's disappearance in Chapter Two?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)