|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Three.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Charlie's dad give him a stack of American books on Civil Rights in Chapter One?
(a) Charlie's teachers have said he needs help with reading.
(b) Charlie claims to be bored during the summer.
(c) Charlie is putting too much emphasis on sports.
(d) Charlie mentions feeling confused about Jasper's mixed racial heritage.
2. Why does Jasper trust Charlie?
(a) Charlie has always expressed the desire to be a defense attorney.
(b) He knows, based on the Charlie's bookish demeanor, that Charlie sees a truth the others cannot.
(c) Jasper has seen Charlie stick up for the underdog countless times.
(d) He and Charlie have been friends their entire lives.
3. What book is Eliza reading in Chapter Three?
(a) To Kill a Mockingbird.
(b) The Naked and the Dead.
(c) Breakfast at Tiffany's.
(d) Pudd'nhead Wilson.
4. Which is an example of a pun from Chapter Three?
(a) Charlie's comparison of his father to Atticus Finch.
(b) The insects who "busy themselves around my lamp" (111).
(c) The fact that Eliza's favority actress is Audrey Hepburn.
(d) Charlie's response of "it's a grave matter" when his father says the hole will need to be big enough for both their bodies (110).
5. What famous Pudd'nhead Wilson quote resonates with Charlie?
(a) "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear."
(b) “When ill luck begins, it does not come in sprinkles, but in showers.”
(c) “As to the adjective: when in doubt, strike it out.”
(d) "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.”
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie's father's silence in Chapter Three remind Charlie of?
2. When Charlie arrives at Jeffrey's house in Chapter Two, what is Jeffrey doing?
3. Who is Jeffrey's cricket hero?
4. In Chapter One, what reason does the person give for coming to Charlie's house in the middle of the night?
5. Why might Silvey use curse words in developing the relationship between Jeffrey and Charlie?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)