|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current theory in Chapter Four about Laura's disappearance?
(a) She was kidnapped from her room.
(b) She was running away to New York.
(c) She was meeting someone at the river.
(d) She had to get to Perth.
2. What famous Pudd'nhead Wilson quote resonates with Charlie?
(a) “As to the adjective: when in doubt, strike it out.”
(b) "Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.”
(c) “When ill luck begins, it does not come in sprinkles, but in showers.”
(d) "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear."
3. What attracts Charlie to Eliza Wishart?
(a) Her wealth.
(b) Her health.
(c) Her behavior.
(d) Her beauty.
4. What figurative language is used in the following quote: "our flyscreen door claps against the side of the house" (99)?
5. As they walk out of the woods at the end of Chapter One, how does Charlie feel about Jasper?
(a) As though they are allies.
(b) As though Jasper will turn himself in.
(c) As thought he must be guilty.
(d) As though he could murder Charlie, too.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of Laura's injuries in Chapter One?
2. What does Wesley claim to do each night in his study?
3. What punishment does Charlie's mother give him for sneaking off and his disrespect in Chapter Three?
4. Who was attacked at the vigil in Chapter Five?
5. What book is Charlie reading in Chapter One?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)