|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Seven.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has color returned to An Lu's garden in Chapter Seven?
(a) The destroyed plants are growing back.
(b) Neighbors have brought him plants.
(c) The Lus have worked tirelessly to rebuild it.
(d) Butterflies and bees have repollinated the garden.
2. Which of the following does NOT meet the description of Mad Jack?
3. How is Jack's life NOT affected after the crash and Rosie's death?
(a) He is sent to prison for her murder.
(b) He is ostracized by his community.
(c) His leg is shattered.
(d) He lives with a massive amount of guilt.
4. Why might Chapter Seven skip back and forth between memories of the encounter with Mad Jack?
(a) To increase suspense.
(b) To make Jasper look foolish.
(c) To prove Mad Jack's guilt.
(d) To confuse the reader.
5. How could the following use of rhetorical device be described: "the world is aflame...the sun is a giant red ball...the sky is...stunning and clear" (231)?
(a) The use of personification here helps to build intensity.
(b) The vivid, imagistic diction here creates a feeling of foreboding and also strength.
(c) The use of metaphor here helps to establish a playful mood.
(d) The sad, horrific diction here creates a sense of urgency and speed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does his father give Charlie in Chapter Three about dealing with his mother?
2. Which is an example of a pun from Chapter Three?
3. What reason did Cooke give for his crimes?
4. Why is it easy for Charlie to sneak out of his house in Chapter Five?
5. What is ironic about Mrs. Bucktin's admonishment for Charlie to "show some respect for your things!" (99)?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)