• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Silvey, Craig. Jasper Jones. Ember, 2009.
• The narrator, Charlie Bucktin, is awakened by Jasper Jones asking for help at his window.
• The two boys then embark on a hot midnight walk through the Australian town of Corrigan, stopping only at the home of Mad Jack Lionel where Jasper smokes a cigarette.
• Mad Jack is a legend in Corrigan, fueling kids’ nightmares and dares; brave kids will take dares to steal items from the yard, or, even better, snatch a peach from his tree and save the pit.
• Jasper Jones, whose mother is dead and father is a drunk, is known as a trouble maker in town. Parents do not want their children to associate with him, and he is blamed for many teens’ transgressions.
• Jasper is described as “half-caste,” or mixed racial heritage (6).
This section contains 7,247 words
(approx. 25 pages at 300 words per page)