|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Charlie and Jason plan to do about the holiday coming up?
2. What are the merchants on the river selling?
3. What does Jason decide to do about finding a bear?
4. What does Jason decide to do to his brothers?
5. What does Jason think would happen to Charlie if Jason died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Jason and Barker. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Jack London and Charlie. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Jason's Gold help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Just when Hawthorn is at his lowest, something happens or someone arrives to give him a boost or some kind of assistance. In chapter twelve, it was London who came to the rescue. In chapter thirteen, Hawthorn is buoyed by the sight of Jamie and Homer and then again when he is able to buy the canoe. Hawthorn's hope is restored.
1. Research narrative contrivance and decide if some of the "miraculous" interventions in Jason's life might qualify as such. Give your reasons why you do or do not believe the events are narrative contrivance. Use examples from Jason's Gold and your own life to support your answer.
2. Do you think in the present time people would be as kind and generous as some of the people are to Jason in this story? Why or why not? Use examples from Jason's Gold and your own life to support your answer.
3. How important do you think hope is in the course of people's daily lives? Why or why not? Use examples from Jason's Gold and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "Jason's Gold" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 2,709 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)