|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Jason to get home from New York?
2. What does Jason think while he is walking?
3. By Chapter 11, how many more places does Jason have to go to meet up with his brothers?
4. Why might Jason be stopped at customs?
5. To where is Jason heading when he passes back through Skagway?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are Homer and Jamie Dunavant and what is their story?
2. What kind of fantasy does Jason think about and what does he think his brothers will do about the news?
3. What does Jason use his earnings for and why does he end up collapsed on the trail?
4. Why is Jason feeling pressured, what are some people going to do about the pressure and how does Jason feel about doing that?
5. What does Jason encounter on his way towards Chilkoot and what does he wish about the crowds?
6. On what date is Jason Hawthorn hawking papers, where is he, what is the big news and what does Jason want to have the opportunity to do?
7. How does Jason get his dog, King, and what happens to the previous owner?
8. With whom does Jason meet up again at the beginning of Chapter 12 and what do they do when they see each other?
9. What is in the letter Abraham left for Jason and how is Jason's situation changed by what he learns?
10. Why would the problem in question #29 stand in Jason's way? What does Jason wonder about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jason matures and grows throughout the book.
1. What do you think might be some of the reasons Jason is maturing? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Jason's maturity shown in the book is unrealistic in the short amount of time period the book covers? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the ways that Jason shows changes in his maturity in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Jason's Gold", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (They may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Jason's Gold".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Jason's Gold". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Jason's Gold". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)