|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does Charlie take with Jason's brothers?
(a) He does not take a job with them.
(d) Assistant bookkeeper.
2. Why is Jack looking poorly?
(a) He broke his leg and it is infected.
(b) He has TB.
(c) He did not find any gold.
(d) He contracted scruvy.
3. What does Charlie tell Jason about how he feels?
(a) He feels abandoned.
(b) He is happy that him and Jason are friends.
(c) He feels great.
(d) He feels useless.
4. Why might so many people who are stranded die?
(a) Everything looks the same when covered with snow.
(b) The river is frozen so it is difficult to fish.
(c) They don't know anything about the wilderness or the mountains.
(d) There are too many people around for the amount of game.
5. Why are Jamie and Homer leaving Dawson City?
(a) To return home to farming.
(b) To find Jamie's mother.
(c) To tour the United States.
(d) To spend their gold.
6. What does Jason see for the first time?
(a) A grizzly bear.
(b) Herds of deer.
(c) A polar bear.
(d) The northern lights.
7. How long does Jason think it will take him to reach Dawson City after he leaves Lake Bennett?
(a) A month.
(b) Two to three weeks.
(c) Six weeks.
(d) One week.
8. At what date does Jason reach the end of Lake Bennett?
(a) August 27.
(b) October 1.
(c) September 23.
(d) September 30.
9. What does Jason decide to do about finding a bear?
(a) Cross the river.
(b) Set out a trap.
(c) Go up into the mountains.
(d) Try to find something less dangerous.
10. What happens to Jason's dog while they are fighting bear?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He is injured.
(c) He is not with Jason.
(d) He runs away.
11. What does Jack tell Jason he wants to be?
(a) A journalist.
(b) A writer.
(c) A publisher.
(d) An editor.
12. In what month does spring thaw arrive where Jason is staying?
13. What does Jason try to figure out when he finds a bear's den?
(a) Where to shoot a bear to kill it.
(b) How to get the bear back to the cabin.
(c) How to get the bear outside.
(d) How to get inside the den.
14. How does the reunion between Jason and his brothers go?
(a) It is joyous.
(b) It is quiet.
(c) They get into an argument.
(d) It is tense.
15. What does Alex McDonald give Charlie?
(a) A sturdy horse.
(b) A job.
(c) A place to live.
(d) All the gold he can carry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the merchants on the river selling?
2. Who helps the people on the river keep moving?
3. What happens to the cabin where Jason and Charlie have stayed in Chapter 24?
4. What does Jason find Charlie has done when he returns to the cabin?
5. What sign does Charlie point out to Jason?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)