|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex McDonald give Charlie?
(a) All the gold he can carry.
(b) A place to live.
(c) A sturdy horse.
(d) A job.
2. How long does Jason stay at Lake Bennett?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
3. Who has saved Jason when he is injured by the bull moose?
(a) Frank Barker.
(b) Homer and Jamie.
(c) No one.
(d) Robert Henderson.
4. What does Jason lose as the bear comes out of the den?
(a) His gloves.
(b) His gun.
(c) His knife.
(d) His hat.
5. What does Jason consider Lake Bennett to be in Chapter 14?
(a) An insurmountable problem
(b) A place to rest.
(c) A possible place to stay for the winter.
(d) His biggest goal yet.
6. What does the man who helps Jason with his caribou say about the Mounties and August?
(a) They are not stopping people right now.
(b) They are more lenient in August.
(c) They are letting no one through.
(d) They are being fairly relaxed about the rules.
7. What breaks twice as Jason and Charlie are watching the river?
(a) The dam.
(b) The rocks on the river.
(d) The weather.
8. What is Jason's dog supposed to hate doing?
(a) Pulling anything heavy.
(b) Riding in a boat.
(c) Wearing a dog coat.
9. Why doesn't Jason take the entire caribou?
(a) He can't eat that much meat.
(b) There is no way to perserve it in a short amount of time.
(c) It would be too heavy for the canoe.
(d) He doesn't really like the taste of caribou.
10. What holiday is coming up in Chapter 22?
(c) New Year's.
(d) Winter Solstice.
11. What do Charlie and Jason plan to do about the holiday coming up?
(a) They plan to celebrate it.
(b) They will eat an extra ration.
(c) They will ignore it.
(d) They will look for anyone who needs their help.
12. How does the crowd feel when the person in question #113 makes it through the rapids?
13. Why does Jason decide to hunt bear?
(a) Heitermeister told him about one that lives in the area.
(b) Henderson told him about one that lives in the area.
(c) Goodbody told him about one that lives in the area.
(d) Rhodes told him about one that lives in the area.
14. What does Jason try to hide from Charlie?
(a) Charlie's father is coming to get him.
(b) Charlie's leg is infected.
(c) The food supply is growing low.
(d) Jason is planning to leave soon.
15. What are the merchants on the river selling?
(a) Maps to the gold.
(c) Milk and livestock and fruit.
(d) There are no merchants on the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the people on the river keep moving?
2. What happens at a narrow part of the river?
3. What does Jason finally realize about where the bear might be?
4. Where does Jason see his first bull moose?
5. What do Charlie and Jason do when they leave the cabin?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)