|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Jason stay at Lake Bennett?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) One week.
2. What sign does Charlie point out to Jason?
(a) Hawthorn Merchant Store.
(b) Lost and Found.
(c) Hawthorn Brothers Sawmill.
(d) Title and Deeds Office.
3. How does Jason's dog respond when he asks him to help?
(a) He sits down and watches Jason.
(b) He growls.
(c) He licks Jason's face.
(d) He slinks away.
4. What does Jason try to hide from Charlie?
(a) Charlie's leg is infected.
(b) The food supply is growing low.
(c) Charlie's father is coming to get him.
(d) Jason is planning to leave soon.
5. What is Jason's dog supposed to hate doing?
(a) Wearing a dog coat.
(c) Riding in a boat.
(d) Pulling anything heavy.
6. What does Alex McDonald give Charlie?
(a) All the gold he can carry.
(b) A job.
(c) A place to live.
(d) A sturdy horse.
7. What does Jason pick to eat to prevent scurvy?
(a) Rose hips and fruit.
(d) Mountain laurel.
8. What does the man who helps Jason with his caribou say about the Mounties and August?
(a) They are not stopping people right now.
(b) They are letting no one through.
(c) They are being fairly relaxed about the rules.
(d) They are more lenient in August.
9. What does Jason tell Charlie about Charlie being there?
(a) Jason does not want him there.
(b) Jason needs him there.
(c) Charlie will have to leave because there is not enough food.
(d) Jason does not care if he is there or not.
10. What does Jason find at two villages and a cabin?
(a) He barters for food but they do not want anything he offers.
(b) They are all empty.
(c) The villages are empty and the man in the cabin is dead.
(d) There are dead in each place.
11. Who helps the people on the river keep moving?
(c) Jack London.
(d) No one.
12. What do Charlie and Jason do when they leave the cabin?
(a) Walk south towards Skagway.
(b) Get on the river.
(c) Hitch a ride on a large barge.
(d) Hook up with a mule train.
13. Who does Jason talk to a his brothers' business?
(a) One of the employees running a machine.
(b) The manager.
(c) No one.
(d) The clerk.
14. What does Jason see for the first time?
(a) Herds of deer.
(b) A polar bear.
(c) A grizzly bear.
(d) The northern lights.
15. What does Charlie tell Jason about how he feels?
(a) He feels great.
(b) He is happy that him and Jason are friends.
(c) He feels abandoned.
(d) He feels useless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason lose as the bear comes out of the den?
2. What does Jason decide to do about getting supplies?
3. What makes the trip more pleasant for Jason?
4. Why might so many people who are stranded die?
5. How long are the rapids that are ahead of Jason?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)