|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where is Charlie originally?
(a) New York.
2. What does Jason decide to do about finding a bear?
(a) Cross the river.
(b) Go up into the mountains.
(c) Set out a trap.
(d) Try to find something less dangerous.
3. Why does Jason all of a sudden understand the urgency to move forward?
(a) People coming back are saying the gold is running out.
(b) The Mounties stop him.
(c) The weather begins to change drastically.
(d) Old timers are telling him.
4. What holiday is coming up in Chapter 22?
(b) Winter Solstice.
(c) New Year's.
5. Why doesn't Jason take the entire caribou?
(a) There is no way to perserve it in a short amount of time.
(b) He can't eat that much meat.
(c) He doesn't really like the taste of caribou.
(d) It would be too heavy for the canoe.
6. Why are the bull moose fighting?
(a) It is rutting season.
(b) There are too many females.
(c) There is not enough food.
(d) There are too many males.
7. How are conditions for Jason to walk about?
(a) Jason doesn't walk about much.
(b) The ground is so frozen walking is easy.
(c) The weather is brutal and walking is very difficult.
(d) The weather has calmed down and the sun is out.
8. What does Jason try to figure out when he finds a bear's den?
(a) How to get the bear outside.
(b) How to get inside the den.
(c) Where to shoot a bear to kill it.
(d) How to get the bear back to the cabin.
9. Where must Jason pass in order to feel safe?
(a) The Straits of Yukon.
(b) Lake Thikitucah.
(c) Fort Klondike.
(d) Fort Sifton.
10. What does Jason know he will have to do about the rapids?
(a) Go fast and hope for the best.
(b) Hire a guide.
(c) Portage to the next passable spot.
(d) Make his dog run along the river following him.
11. What does the man who helps Jason with his caribou say about the Mounties and August?
(a) They are not stopping people right now.
(b) They are more lenient in August.
(c) They are being fairly relaxed about the rules.
(d) They are letting no one through.
12. Who is one of the few persons adventuresome enough to try the rapids?
(a) Frank Barker.
(b) Robert Henderson.
(c) Jack London.
13. Why do Abe and Ethan come out of their office?
(a) To go home for the day.
(b) To go to lunch.
(c) To reprimand a worker.
(d) To meet Jason thinking he is someone else.
14. What do the boys do to pass the time?
(a) Write a journal.
(b) Read Scientific American.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Paint pictures on the cabin walls.
15. What do Charlie and Jason do when they leave the cabin?
(a) Hitch a ride on a large barge.
(b) Get on the river.
(c) Walk south towards Skagway.
(d) Hook up with a mule train.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jason's dog respond when he asks him to help?
2. How does the crowd feel when the person in question #113 makes it through the rapids?
3. What is the part of the Yukon that splits into five channels called?
4. What does Charlie tell Jason about how he feels?
5. What does Jason think would happen to Charlie if Jason died?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)