|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many boats are on the river?
(a) Five hundred.
(b) A couple hundred.
(c) About twenty.
2. What happens to the ice on the river as Jason and Charlie watch it in the spring?
(a) It rises up.
(b) It thins out enough to cut.
(c) It stays the same.
(d) It becomes thicker.
3. How long does Jason first search for a bear in Chapter 23?
(a) A week.
(b) An entire day.
(d) Two days.
4. What does Jason reach at the end of Lake Bennett?
(a) The Yukon River.
(b) The Straits of Yukon.
(c) Fort Klondike.
(d) Lake Thikitucah.
5. What could possibly occur if people are careless on the river?
(b) A great catastrophe.
(c) Some people might get wet.
(d) Jason and Charlie could be tipped over.
6. Why does Jason all of a sudden understand the urgency to move forward?
(a) People coming back are saying the gold is running out.
(b) The weather begins to change drastically.
(c) The Mounties stop him.
(d) Old timers are telling him.
7. What does Jason lose as the bear comes out of the den?
(a) His gun.
(b) His knife.
(c) His gloves.
(d) His hat.
8. Who is performing at the theater where Jason's brothers take him?
(b) Frank Barker.
(d) Jack London.
9. What does Alex McDonald give Charlie?
(a) A sturdy horse.
(b) A place to live.
(c) A job.
(d) All the gold he can carry.
10. To what is Dawson City compared?
(a) A large city.
(b) A city slum.
(c) A farming community.
(d) A huge carnival.
11. How does Jason's dog respond when he asks him to help?
(a) He slinks away.
(b) He sits down and watches Jason.
(c) He growls.
(d) He licks Jason's face.
12. What is the part of the Yukon that splits into five channels called?
(a) The Five Split.
(b) Five Fingers.
(c) Five Sisters.
(d) Five Arms.
13. What holiday is coming up in Chapter 22?
(b) Winter Solstice.
(c) New Year's.
14. What breaks twice as Jason and Charlie are watching the river?
(b) The weather.
(c) The dam.
(d) The rocks on the river.
15. What do the boys do to pass the time?
(a) Write a journal.
(b) Read Scientific American.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Paint pictures on the cabin walls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jason know he will have to do about the rapids?
2. Why does Jason decide to hunt bear?
3. How long does Jason stay at Lake Bennett?
4. What does Jason find he has done in the morning?
5. What does Jason decide to do about finding a bear?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)