|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the part of the Yukon that splits into five channels called?
(a) Five Arms.
(b) Five Fingers.
(c) Five Sisters.
(d) The Five Split.
2. How does the crowd feel when the person in question #113 makes it through the rapids?
3. What happens at a narrow part of the river?
(a) Fish are caught along the shore.
(b) There is a bottleneck of boats.
(c) Fifteen boats tip over.
(d) Jason and Charlie get caught on a snag.
4. Who is performing at the theater where Jason's brothers take him?
(b) Frank Barker.
(c) Jack London.
5. What does Jason think would happen to Charlie if Jason died?
(a) Charlie would be frightened.
(b) Charlie would go insane.
(c) Charlie would be okay.
(d) Charlie would die.
6. What job does Charlie take with Jason's brothers?
(a) Assistant bookkeeper.
(d) He does not take a job with them.
7. What do the boys do to pass the time?
(a) Paint pictures on the cabin walls.
(b) Write a journal.
(c) Read Scientific American.
(d) Play cards.
8. In what month does spring thaw arrive where Jason is staying?
9. How does Jason's dog respond when he asks him to help?
(a) He licks Jason's face.
(b) He growls.
(c) He slinks away.
(d) He sits down and watches Jason.
10. What does the man who helps Jason with his caribou say about the Mounties and August?
(a) They are being fairly relaxed about the rules.
(b) They are not stopping people right now.
(c) They are more lenient in August.
(d) They are letting no one through.
11. What does Jason decide to do to his brothers?
(a) Write them a letter.
(b) Scare them.
(c) Play a joke.
(d) Demand his inheritance.
12. What happens to the ice on the river as Jason and Charlie watch it in the spring?
(a) It becomes thicker.
(b) It thins out enough to cut.
(c) It stays the same.
(d) It rises up.
13. What are the merchants on the river selling?
(b) Milk and livestock and fruit.
(c) There are no merchants on the river.
(d) Maps to the gold.
14. With what does Jason struggle after he shoots a caribou?
(a) Getting it to shore.
(b) How to butcher it.
(c) Feeling bad about killing an animal.
(d) How to preserve it.
15. How long does Jason think it will take him to reach Dawson City after he leaves Lake Bennett?
(a) Two to three weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) One week.
(d) Six weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the people on the river keep moving?
2. What does Homer write for Jason?
3. What sign does Charlie point out to Jason?
4. Why does Jason decide to hunt bear?
5. What is in the tent Jason found?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)