|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the rapids considered so dangerous?
(a) There are too many animals in the rapids.
(b) Box canyons, whirlpools and eddies.
(c) The water is almost a freezing temperatures.
(d) The rocks are sharp granite.
2. How does Jason end up dealing with the bear or bears?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He climbs a tree.
(c) He sets it (them) on fire.
(d) He kills it or them.
3. How long are the rapids that are ahead of Jason?
(a) Three miles.
(b) Four miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) Five miles.
4. What does Charlie point out to Jason?
(a) A warehouse.
(b) A tavern.
(c) The sheriff's office.
(d) A boarding house.
5. What do the boys do to pass the time?
(a) Write a journal.
(b) Play cards.
(c) Read Scientific American.
(d) Paint pictures on the cabin walls.
6. What does Jason reach at the end of Lake Bennett?
(a) The Straits of Yukon.
(b) Fort Klondike.
(c) Lake Thikitucah.
(d) The Yukon River.
7. What is the part of the Yukon that splits into five channels called?
(a) The Five Split.
(b) Five Fingers.
(c) Five Sisters.
(d) Five Arms.
8. Why does Jason return to his cabin when he was following tracks?
(a) He is too tired to go on.
(b) His water has frozen and needs to drink.
(c) He lost sight of the animal.
(d) He has to return to eat.
9. What does Jason find Charlie has done when he returns to the cabin?
(a) Broken the table.
(b) Burned all the magazines.
(c) Pulled the down quit apart.
(d) Let the fire go out.
10. What does Jason decide to do about getting supplies?
(a) Go to the Indian village.
(b) Put them on half rations.
(c) Shoot a moose.
(d) Put out rabbit traps.
11. Who is one of the few persons adventuresome enough to try the rapids?
(b) Jack London.
(c) Robert Henderson.
(d) Frank Barker.
12. What are the merchants on the river selling?
(a) Milk and livestock and fruit.
(b) Maps to the gold.
(d) There are no merchants on the river.
13. What happens to the ice on the river as Jason and Charlie watch it in the spring?
(a) It becomes thicker.
(b) It rises up.
(c) It thins out enough to cut.
(d) It stays the same.
14. What does Jason lose as the bear comes out of the den?
(a) His hat.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His gun.
(d) His knife.
15. How long does Jason think it will take him to reach Dawson City after he leaves Lake Bennett?
(a) A month.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Two to three weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Charlie take with Jason's brothers?
2. What does the man who helps Jason with his caribou say about the Mounties and August?
3. What does Jason finally realize about where the bear might be?
4. What does Jason decide about when to pull over and rest?
5. What does Jason consider Lake Bennett to be in Chapter 14?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)