|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jason pick to eat to prevent scurvy?
(a) Mountain laurel.
(c) Rose hips and fruit.
2. What does Jason find out he needs to let Charlie do?
(a) Learn how to live without a foot.
(b) Talk to Jason more.
(c) Leave before the weather gets really bad.
(d) Help out around the cabin.
3. What part of the caribou does Jason take?
(a) Half of it.
(b) The rib portions.
(c) The hindquarters.
(d) The breast.
4. What do the boys do to pass the time?
(a) Write a journal.
(b) Paint pictures on the cabin walls.
(c) Play cards.
(d) Read Scientific American.
5. How long does Jason think it will take him to reach Dawson City after he leaves Lake Bennett?
(a) A month.
(b) Two to three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Six weeks.
6. What does Charlie finally realize about being there?
(a) Jason took him because Jason wants to become a doctor.
(b) Jason wanted him for company.
(c) He was thrust upon Jason.
(d) Charlie's uncle paid Jason a lot of gold to care for him.
7. Why are the rapids considered so dangerous?
(a) The rocks are sharp granite.
(b) Box canyons, whirlpools and eddies.
(c) The water is almost a freezing temperatures.
(d) There are too many animals in the rapids.
8. From where is Charlie originally?
(d) New York.
9. What does Jason think about when he looks at the night sky?
(a) Where his brothers might be.
(b) There are more stars than he has ever seen.
(c) He'd like to travel to the stars.
(d) How far away home is.
10. Where are people who are lost stranded?
(a) Vaious mountain passes.
(b) By the shores of the river.
(c) In the woods below the mountains.
(d) Mostly in small fishing villages.
11. Why does Jason return to his cabin when he was following tracks?
(a) He has to return to eat.
(b) He lost sight of the animal.
(c) His water has frozen and needs to drink.
(d) He is too tired to go on.
12. How does Jason end up dealing with the bear or bears?
(a) He climbs a tree.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He kills it or them.
(d) He sets it (them) on fire.
13. Why does Jason all of a sudden understand the urgency to move forward?
(a) The weather begins to change drastically.
(b) The Mounties stop him.
(c) People coming back are saying the gold is running out.
(d) Old timers are telling him.
14. What does Jason lose as the bear comes out of the den?
(a) His gun.
(b) His knife.
(c) His hat.
(d) His gloves.
15. Why do Abe and Ethan come out of their office?
(a) To meet Jason thinking he is someone else.
(b) To go home for the day.
(c) To go to lunch.
(d) To reprimand a worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Jason stay at Lake Bennett?
2. Why is Jack looking poorly?
3. What does Homer write for Jason?
4. What does Jason consider Lake Bennett to be in Chapter 14?
5. What are some of the people on the river called?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)