|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jason name his dog?
2. Upon what ship does Jason stow away?
(a) The Seagull.
(b) The Yakima.
(c) The Belle of the Sea.
3. Where does the rail car Jason hops go?
(a) Minot, North Dakota.
(b) San Francisco, California.
(c) Denver, Colorado.
(d) Salt Lake City, Utah.
4. Why is Jason beginning to feel more pressure about reaching his goal?
(a) He has no more money.
(b) His brothers are getting farther away.
(c) Winter is coming quickly.
(d) His dog is getting old.
5. Why are many of the people Jason meets heading back to Skagway going there?
(a) They were turned away at the border.
(b) The weather is too cold.
(c) They've made a lot of money.
(d) They've given up.
6. What have some people resigned themselves to doing?
(a) Starving to death.
(b) Waiting out the winter and leaving in the spring.
(c) Going home.
(d) No finding any gold.
7. How do Jack and Jason act when they see each other again?
(d) Like they are long lost friends.
8. What does Jason recall Homer saying about this leg of the journey?
(a) This is the easiest part of the journey.
(b) Let the boat do your work.
(c) He did not mention this leg to Jason.
(d) Novices usually fail to get over the water.
9. Why does the scene along the trail shock Jason?
(a) The number of people.
(b) The cruelty to the animals, especially the horses.
(c) That there are families with young children.
(d) That people are fighting over position on the trail.
10. How long does it take Jason to get home from New York?
(a) Eight days.
(b) A month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Seven days.
11. Where does Jason go in Chapter 13?
(a) To the spot where the outfit was dropped off.
(b) No where.
(c) Back to Skagway.
(d) With Jack.
12. What do some of the people that Jack meets along the way want to know?
(a) If his dog is for sale.
(b) If he has a good map.
(c) If he wants to join their group.
(d) If he has any extra food.
13. Where are Jason and his dog when they make it to the top of the answer to question #54?
(b) Washington State.
14. What does the older man tell Jason about from his past?
(a) Being married with children.
(b) The gold rush of 49.
(c) Traveling to all of the states of America.
(d) Working in the coal mines.
15. What do Jason and Jack do when they meet up again?
(a) Ignore each other.
(b) Tell each other their stories.
(d) Trade items around.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jack offer Jason a prospector's outfit?
2. How does Jason's dog help him?
3. What does Jack say is a fair trade for the outfit?
4. Who does Jason first see when he wakes after being sick?
5. What is Jason Hawthorn standing in front of with his newspapers?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)