|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dropped out of Jack's group?
2. What concerns Jason besides the upcoming bad weather?
(a) His lack of funds.
(b) Not having a good map.
(c) Jason thinks he is too young.
(d) Not knowing how to pan for gold.
3. Why is Jason beginning to feel more pressure about reaching his goal?
(a) Winter is coming quickly.
(b) His brothers are getting farther away.
(c) He has no more money.
(d) His dog is getting old.
4. What does Jason learn from some horse packers about his brothers?
(a) They are in the next settlement.
(b) They are not far ahead of him.
(c) They did not come that way.
(d) They have already staked a claim.
5. To what does Jason compare himself as he walks?
(a) His father.
(b) An ant.
(c) A bumblebee.
(d) A salmon swimming up stream.
6. What kind of a job does Jason get?
(a) Wagon driver.
(c) Horse handler.
(d) Trail guide.
7. What have some people resigned themselves to doing?
(a) Going home.
(b) No finding any gold.
(c) Waiting out the winter and leaving in the spring.
(d) Starving to death.
8. What is Jason Hawthorn standing in front of with his newspapers?
(a) Sears Towers.
(b) Grand Central Depot.
(c) Empire State Building.
(d) Statue of Liberty.
9. What did Jason's father say he would never be?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A Democrat.
(c) A wage slave.
(d) A Republican.
10. What had Jack suggested to Jason about moving the outfit?
(a) Find a partner.
(b) Hire a pack mule.
(c) Do it in relays.
(d) Let the dog carry most of it.
11. What does Jason want to learn from the older man?
(a) What it takes to get to Klondike.
(b) What to do if caught hopping rail cars.
(c) How to make a wife happy.
(d) What is the best warm states in America.
12. Why does Jack offer Jason a prospector's outfit?
(a) Jack has a son Jason's age.
(b) Jack doesn't want to carry it with him.
(c) He doesn't need it.
(d) Jack knows Jason's brothers.
13. Where do Jason's brothers work?
(a) On fishing boats.
(b) A saw mill.
(c) A cannery.
(d) In a shoe factory.
14. Why is Jason unable to find a boat to take him down the river?
(a) There are too many people who have too many pounds.
(b) He does not have any money.
(c) They don't want to take such a young person.
(d) His outfit is too heavy.
15. Who saves Jason after he passes out on the trail?
(a) Frank Barker.
(b) Lucy Gant.
(c) Jack London.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many boats are leaving the shore each day?
2. Why does the scene along the trail shock Jason?
3. How much does Jason decide to borrow from his brothers?
4. What does Jason think of the crowds of people?
5. Who does Jason first see when he wakes after being sick?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)