|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jason finally get the means to continue his journey?
(a) Being taken on a boat as crew.
(b) Finding a canoe with a small hole in it.
(c) Wages from horse handling.
(d) Buys a canoe.
2. What do Jason and Jack do when they meet up again?
(b) Tell each other their stories.
(c) Ignore each other.
(d) Trade items around.
3. What does Jack say is a fair trade for the outfit?
(a) Jason's dog.
(b) Some of Jason's stories.
(c) Jason's help with the horses.
(d) Two bits of silver.
4. Where do Jason's brothers work?
(a) In a shoe factory.
(b) A cannery.
(c) On fishing boats.
(d) A saw mill.
5. How much does Jason decide to borrow from his brothers?
6. What does the older man tell Jason about from his past?
(a) Being married with children.
(b) Traveling to all of the states of America.
(c) The gold rush of 49.
(d) Working in the coal mines.
7. Where are Jason and his dog when they make it to the top of the answer to question #54?
(b) Washington State.
8. What becomes the topic of conversation across the country?
(a) The completion of the transcontinental railroad.
(b) The new president.
(c) The possibility of war.
(d) The gold rush.
9. What are Jamie and Homer going to do?
(a) Brave a dangerous set of rapids.
(b) Go home.
(c) Carry their canoe past the rapids.
(d) Jump the water fall.
10. What is the name of the first lake Jason has to cross?
(a) Berryman's Turn.
(d) Crystal Lake.
11. What did Jason promise when he left his hometown?
(a) He would never return.
(b) He would not return until he is rich.
(c) He will be bringing a wife when he returns.
(d) He would stay away at least a year.
12. Why does the scene along the trail shock Jason?
(a) That people are fighting over position on the trail.
(b) The number of people.
(c) The cruelty to the animals, especially the horses.
(d) That there are families with young children.
13. How does Jason feel about Jack's offer?
(a) Jason is curious.
(b) Jason is shocked.
(c) He is indifferent.
(d) He is distrusting.
14. What does Jason think while he is walking?
(a) His father would be proud of him.
(b) He is stronger than Jack.
(c) His brothers are waiting for him.
(d) His mother will kill him.
15. Why is Jason unable to find a boat to take him down the river?
(a) His outfit is too heavy.
(b) He does not have any money.
(c) There are too many people who have too many pounds.
(d) They don't want to take such a young person.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Jason to get home from New York?
2. With whom does Jason leave the beach where he was thrown off the ship?
3. What does Jason recall Homer saying about this leg of the journey?
4. For what does the older man say he would give up everything?
5. Where is the place in question #11?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)