|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jason Hawthorn standing in front of with his newspapers?
(a) Grand Central Depot.
(b) Sears Towers.
(c) Empire State Building.
(d) Statue of Liberty.
2. Where is the place in question #11?
(a) Upstate New York.
(b) In British Columbia.
(c) At the confluence of the Klondike and Yukon Rivers.
(d) In Washington state.
3. What does Jason notice about many of the people packing up to leave?
(a) They know nothing about horses.
(b) They are fairly competent.
(c) They are not taking enough supplies.
(d) They pack too large a load.
4. How does Jason buy food and warming clothing?
(a) With his wages from his short time job.
(b) He trades his extra pair of boots.
(c) He works at the general store.
(d) He uses the money his brothers left him.
5. What did Homer sell to come to the gold fields?
(a) His summer crop.
(b) His family farm.
(c) Two horses and a carriage.
(d) His stock shares.
6. Where did Jason work in his hometown?
(a) A cannery.
(b) In a shoe factory.
(c) A saw mill.
(d) Fishing boat.
7. Why are many of the people Jason meets heading back to Skagway going there?
(a) The weather is too cold.
(b) They've given up.
(c) They were turned away at the border.
(d) They've made a lot of money.
8. How long has Jason been in New York at the beginning of the book?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Five days.
(c) Six months.
(d) Four months.
9. How does Jason's dog help him?
(a) He hunts game.
(b) He keeps Jason warm at night.
(c) He scares off thieves.
(d) He pulls some of the weight.
10. What does the younger man in the rail car like?
(a) Pretty postcards.
(c) Apple cider.
(d) Chewiing gum.
11. What does Jason get at the river?
(a) A big supply of venison.
(b) A horse.
(c) A dog.
(d) A black eye.
12. What becomes the topic of conversation across the country?
(a) The possibility of war.
(b) The new president.
(c) The gold rush.
(d) The completion of the transcontinental railroad.
13. What does Jason want to learn from the older man?
(a) What it takes to get to Klondike.
(b) What to do if caught hopping rail cars.
(c) What is the best warm states in America.
(d) How to make a wife happy.
14. What does Jason name his dog?
15. Why is Jason unable to find a boat to take him down the river?
(a) His outfit is too heavy.
(b) They don't want to take such a young person.
(c) There are too many people who have too many pounds.
(d) He does not have any money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Jason and his dog when they make it to the top of the answer to question #54?
2. Who saves Jason after he passes out on the trail?
3. What is a big topic of conversation in Skagway besides gold?
4. What does Jason recall Homer saying about this leg of the journey?
5. Why does Jason become sick on the trail?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)