|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of the man for whom Jason works?
(a) Sowerby and Bacon.
(b) Preston and Jackson.
(c) Johnson and Flynn.
(d) Robinson and Bailey.
2. Where does everyone say the place to be is at the beginning of the book?
(a) New York.
(c) Dawson City.
3. What does Jason think while he is walking?
(a) His mother will kill him.
(b) His brothers are waiting for him.
(c) His father would be proud of him.
(d) He is stronger than Jack.
4. What had Jack suggested to Jason about moving the outfit?
(a) Do it in relays.
(b) Let the dog carry most of it.
(c) Find a partner.
(d) Hire a pack mule.
5. What is Jason Hawthorn standing in front of with his newspapers?
(a) Sears Towers.
(b) Grand Central Depot.
(c) Statue of Liberty.
(d) Empire State Building.
6. How much food is each prospector required to carry?
(a) 500 pounds.
(b) Seven hundred pounds.
(d) Four hundred pounds.
7. Why does Jack offer Jason a prospector's outfit?
(a) Jack knows Jason's brothers.
(b) Jack doesn't want to carry it with him.
(c) Jack has a son Jason's age.
(d) He doesn't need it.
8. What did Jason's father say he would never be?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A wage slave.
(c) A Democrat.
(d) A Republican.
9. Where do three sailors dump Jason?
(a) In the ocean.
(b) At the next town.
(c) On a coral reef.
(d) On a beach.
10. Upon what ship does Jason stow away?
(b) The Seagull.
(c) The Yakima.
(d) The Belle of the Sea.
11. What does Jason get at the river?
(a) A big supply of venison.
(b) A black eye.
(c) A horse.
(d) A dog.
12. For what does the older man say he would give up everything?
(a) To see the elephant.
(b) To see his oldest son.
(c) To have his wife alive.
(d) To live in a warm climate.
13. Who saves Jason after he passes out on the trail?
(a) Jack London.
(c) Frank Barker.
(d) Lucy Gant.
14. What does the older man tell Jason about from his past?
(a) Being married with children.
(b) Traveling to all of the states of America.
(c) The gold rush of 49.
(d) Working in the coal mines.
15. Who is head of law enforcement in Skagway?
(a) Frank Barker.
(b) Captain Smith.
(c) Peter Forthsom.
(d) Joseph Blackman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a job does Jason get?
2. What concerns Jason besides the upcoming bad weather?
3. For what does a man want to hire Jason?
4. How old is Jason on this adventure?
5. Who does Jason first see when he wakes after being sick?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)