|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does a man want to hire Jason?
(a) To handle his horses.
(b) To help carry his canoe.
(c) To rescue him if his canoe turns over.
(d) To hunt with him to add more food to his boat.
2. What does Jack say is a fair trade for the outfit?
(a) Two bits of silver.
(b) Jason's dog.
(c) Some of Jason's stories.
(d) Jason's help with the horses.
3. What do Jason and Jack do when they meet up again?
(b) Ignore each other.
(c) Tell each other their stories.
(d) Trade items around.
4. Why does the scene along the trail shock Jason?
(a) That there are families with young children.
(b) That people are fighting over position on the trail.
(c) The number of people.
(d) The cruelty to the animals, especially the horses.
5. Why does Jack offer Jason a prospector's outfit?
(a) He doesn't need it.
(b) Jack knows Jason's brothers.
(c) Jack has a son Jason's age.
(d) Jack doesn't want to carry it with him.
6. What does Jason recall Homer saying about this leg of the journey?
(a) Let the boat do your work.
(b) This is the easiest part of the journey.
(c) He did not mention this leg to Jason.
(d) Novices usually fail to get over the water.
7. Where does Jason go in Chapter 13?
(a) Back to Skagway.
(b) To the spot where the outfit was dropped off.
(c) No where.
(d) With Jack.
8. What does Jason name his dog?
9. How does Jason buy food and warming clothing?
(a) He works at the general store.
(b) He uses the money his brothers left him.
(c) He trades his extra pair of boots.
(d) With his wages from his short time job.
10. To what does Jason compare himself as he walks?
(a) A bumblebee.
(b) An ant.
(c) His father.
(d) A salmon swimming up stream.
11. Why is Jason unable to find a boat to take him down the river?
(a) They don't want to take such a young person.
(b) There are too many people who have too many pounds.
(c) He does not have any money.
(d) His outfit is too heavy.
12. What are the names of the man for whom Jason works?
(a) Johnson and Flynn.
(b) Sowerby and Bacon.
(c) Robinson and Bailey.
(d) Preston and Jackson.
13. How much does Jason decide to borrow from his brothers?
14. Where do Jason's brothers work?
(a) On fishing boats.
(b) In a shoe factory.
(c) A saw mill.
(d) A cannery.
15. Where are Jason and his dog when they make it to the top of the answer to question #54?
(b) Washington State.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jason beginning to feel more pressure about reaching his goal?
2. Why might Jason be stopped at customs?
3. What did Jason promise when he left his hometown?
4. By Chapter 11, how many more places does Jason have to go to meet up with his brothers?
5. What does Jason see in the river after he parts ways with his employers?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)