|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jason's hometown?
(c) St. Louis.
2. What does Jason say about his parents?
(a) His father is depressed since his mother died.
(b) They are both dead.
(c) They live in Europe.
(d) They are not living together.
3. What does Jason see in the river after he parts ways with his employers?
(a) A deer with a broken leg.
(b) A puppy floating by.
(c) A man screaming and yelling.
(d) A horse stuck in the mud.
4. Where is the place in question #11?
(a) In British Columbia.
(b) At the confluence of the Klondike and Yukon Rivers.
(c) In Washington state.
(d) Upstate New York.
5. What does the younger man in the rail car recite?
(a) The Pledge of Allegiance.
(b) The Battle Hymn of the Republic.
(c) A Purple Cow.
(d) The Gettysburg Address.
6. What can Jason not imagine about not going on?
(a) Throwing away his outfit.
(b) Waiting another eight months.
(c) Missing his brothers.
(d) Returning to a nine to five job.
7. What worries people who are on the boat?
(a) Being attacked by a grizzly bear.
(b) Getting over the rapids.
(c) Getting past the waterfall.
(d) Passing through customs.
8. What does the younger man in the rail car like?
(b) Chewiing gum.
(c) Pretty postcards.
(d) Apple cider.
9. What do some of the people that Jack meets along the way want to know?
(a) If he has a good map.
(b) If he wants to join their group.
(c) If he has any extra food.
(d) If his dog is for sale.
10. Who dropped out of Jack's group?
11. Where do Jason and the old man part ways?
(a) Salt Lake City.
(c) Helena, Montana.
12. Why is Jason beginning to feel more pressure about reaching his goal?
(a) His brothers are getting farther away.
(b) His dog is getting old.
(c) He has no more money.
(d) Winter is coming quickly.
13. Why does Jack offer Jason a prospector's outfit?
(a) He doesn't need it.
(b) Jack doesn't want to carry it with him.
(c) Jack has a son Jason's age.
(d) Jack knows Jason's brothers.
14. Who does Jason spot in Skagway working for the head of law enforcement?
(a) Jim Foster.
(b) Frank Barker.
(c) Charles Bowers.
(d) Captain Smith.
15. What does Jason think is a daunting sight when Jason first sees them?
(a) The Black Crow switchback.
(b) Pike's Peak.
(c) The Stony Steps.
(d) The Golden Stairs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is head of law enforcement in Skagway?
2. What are Jamie and Homer going to do?
3. What does Jason wonder when he arrives at Lake Bennett?
4. How long has Jason been in New York at the beginning of the book?
5. Upon what ship does Jason stow away?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)