|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Jason to get home from New York?
(a) Eight days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Seven days.
(d) A month.
2. What did Jason's father say he would never be?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A Democrat.
(c) A Republican.
(d) A wage slave.
3. What do Jason and Jack do when they meet up again?
(a) Trade items around.
(b) Tell each other their stories.
(d) Ignore each other.
4. What did a man receive that was fake that Jason notices?
(a) Instructions on how to pan for gold.
(b) A bridle for his horse.
(c) A false telegram.
(d) A fake map.
5. What does Jason think is a daunting sight when Jason first sees them?
(a) The Stony Steps.
(b) Pike's Peak.
(c) The Golden Stairs.
(d) The Black Crow switchback.
6. Where did Jason work in his hometown?
(a) A cannery.
(b) Fishing boat.
(c) In a shoe factory.
(d) A saw mill.
7. What are the names of the man for whom Jason works?
(a) Robinson and Bailey.
(b) Johnson and Flynn.
(c) Sowerby and Bacon.
(d) Preston and Jackson.
8. To what does Jason compare himself as he walks?
(a) An ant.
(b) His father.
(c) A bumblebee.
(d) A salmon swimming up stream.
9. Why might Jason be stopped at customs?
(a) He is too young.
(b) His brothers told customs to stop him.
(c) If his outfit is underweight.
(d) He has a dog with him.
10. What does the younger man in the rail car like?
(a) Chewiing gum.
(b) Pretty postcards.
(c) Apple cider.
11. What becomes the topic of conversation across the country?
(a) The possibility of war.
(b) The gold rush.
(c) The new president.
(d) The completion of the transcontinental railroad.
12. What kind of a job does Jason get?
(a) Trail guide.
(c) Wagon driver.
(d) Horse handler.
13. What will Jason have to do if he takes the outfit?
(a) Brave the Chilkoot many more times.
(b) Make a hand cart.
(c) Get a wagon.
(d) Get a dog sled.
14. How much does Jason decide to borrow from his brothers?
15. For what does the older man say he would give up everything?
(a) To see his oldest son.
(b) To have his wife alive.
(c) To see the elephant.
(d) To live in a warm climate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what ship does Jason stow away?
2. Why does the scene along the trail shock Jason?
3. Who dropped out of Jack's group?
4. What is Jason's hometown?
5. How many boats are leaving the shore each day?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)