* Jason Hawthorn stands on the street hawking newspaper which announce a gold rush in Alaska. It is 1897.
* Hawthorn arrived in New York five days ago after a ten month trip from Seattle. He longs to slip away and read the paper.
* His brothers, Abraham and Ethan are still in Seattle working for wage in a saw mill. Jason vows to never be a wage slave.
* Hawthorn decides to go home even though he said he would stay away a year. The gold rush becomes the main topic of talk.
* Jason hops a rail car to North Dakota and meets two men - a young man who drinks too much and an old grizzled man.
* Hawthorn decides he will ask his brothers to lend him $250 for the trip to Alaska. He tells the men about his parents.
* Hawthorn goes to the boarding house where his brothers...
This section contains 2,320 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)