Part 1, Chapters 1-7
• Jason Hawthorn stands on the street hawking newspaper which announce a gold rush in Alaska. It is 1897.
• Hawthorn arrived in New York five days ago after a ten month trip from Seattle. He longs to slip away and read the paper.
• His brothers, Abraham and Ethan are still in Seattle working for wage in a saw mill. Jason vows to never be a wage slave.
• Hawthorn decides to go home even though he said he would stay away a year. The gold rush becomes the main topic of talk.
• Jason hops a rail car to North Dakota and meets two men - a young man who drinks too much and an old grizzled man.
• Hawthorn decides he will ask his brothers to lend him $250 for the trip to Alaska. He tells the men about his parents.
• Hawthorn goes to the boarding house where his...
This section contains 2,326 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)