|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane give money to whom the morning after Mr. Rochester's proposal?
2. Jane comes across a little girl and asks her for what item that she is about to throw to the pigs?
3. When St. John asks Jane to accompany him to India, to what condition she does not want to agree?
4. Mr. Rochester's former butler tells Jane that Grace Poole possessed what fault?
5. In responding to Jane's refusal to marry him, he tells her that her words are violent, _______, and untrue.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
2. What happens when Jane is refused entrance to the house where three women are knitting in mourning clothes?
3. How does the Rivers family treat Jane, and why is it significant?
4. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
5. Why does Jane run outside after St. John reads from the book of Revelations, and why is it significant?
6. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
7. How does Jane feel about her new teaching job, and why is it significant?
8. What are Jane's plans after her fortune has dramatically changed, and why does St. John urge her to reconsider them?
9. Whom does Jane find in the room following her nightmare the day before the wedding, and what does it foreshadow?
10. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Point of View in the novel.
1) What is the POV?
2) How does the POV influence reader reception?
3) What is the connection between the POV and pacing in "Jane Eyre?"
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Gateshead and Thornfield.
1) What are their similarities and differences?
2) How do these estates mirror Jane's development as a character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of race in the novel? How does Bertha Mason's mixed-race heritage affect her characterization as monstrous and animalistic?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)