|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jane respond to St. John's inquiry the night before he is to go to India about why she refuses to marry him?
2. What kind of face does Jane tell Mr. Rochester the person in the closet had when she looked in the mirror?
3. Why is St. John called away the night of Diana's and Mary's return to Moor House?
4. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
5. What does Jane buy for Moor House to prepare for Diana and Mary's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jane run outside after St. John reads from the book of Revelations, and why is it significant?
2. What happens when Jane tries to look for work after leaving Thornfield, and why is it significant?
3. What premonition does Jane have about St. John, and how is this significant?
4. How does Jane's fortune change dramatically after her true identity is revealed?
5. What do the Rivers discover about the death of a wealthy uncle, and why is it significant?
6. What does Jane's refusal to be Mr. Rochester's mistress signify?
7. How does St. John discover Jane's true identity?
8. What are Jane's plans after her fortune has dramatically changed, and why does St. John urge her to reconsider them?
9. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
10. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss reader reception at the time of publication. How was "Jane Eyre" received by critics and the general public?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of race in the novel? How does Bertha Mason's mixed-race heritage affect her characterization as monstrous and animalistic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of imagination in the novel. How does imagination function as both a blessing and curse for Jane?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)