|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester after the fire?
2. How long has Jane been married to Mr. Rochester at the end of the novel?
3. What is the name of the book Jane reads that begins, "Day set on Norham's castled steep, And Tweed's fair river broad and deep"?
4. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
5. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
2. How does St. John discover Jane's true identity?
3. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
4. What happens when Jane tries to look for work after leaving Thornfield, and why is it significant?
5. The day before the wedding, Jane dreams about what that is significant?
6. What does Jane discover when she leaves Moor House and returns to Thornfield?
7. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
8. Why had Mr. Rochester married Bertha Mason, and how is this significant?
9. What premonition does Jane have about St. John, and how is this significant?
10. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of race in the novel? How does Bertha Mason's mixed-race heritage affect her characterization as monstrous and animalistic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the function of marriage in the novel.
1) What values does the institution of marriage uphold and reinforce?
2) How is Jane's marriage to Mr. Rochester both a traditional and unconventional marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the significance of the setting to the plot?
2) What is the connection between the physical and psychological landscapes in the novel?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)