|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, what does Jane think she should do?
2. As Jane begs the woman called Hannah for food and shelter, who arrives to let her inside?
3. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
4. What feeling does Jane observe St. John has for Rosamond Oliver?
5. In talking about Jane's features, St. John remarks that "ill or well, she would always be _________."
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Rivers discover about the death of a wealthy uncle, and why is it significant?
2. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
3. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
4. What premonition does Jane have about St. John, and how is this significant?
5. How does Jane feel about her new teaching job, and why is it significant?
6. What are Jane's plans after her fortune has dramatically changed, and why does St. John urge her to reconsider them?
7. Whom does Jane find in the room following her nightmare the day before the wedding, and what does it foreshadow?
8. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
9. How does Jane's fortune change dramatically after her true identity is revealed?
10. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the function of marriage in the novel.
1) What values does the institution of marriage uphold and reinforce?
2) How is Jane's marriage to Mr. Rochester both a traditional and unconventional marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of house servants in the Victorian household.
1) What is the relationship between house servants and the proprietors?
2) What is the relationship between house servants and the dependents?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss passion as a major theme in the novel.
1) Identify how the various types of passion (i.e., sexual, spiritual, and emotional,) work in the novel.
2) What kind of passion is privileged by Jane? Mr. Rochester? St. John? Why?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)