|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane discovers what about her pupils that makes her realize she was initially mistaken?
2. On the third day of her homelessness, Jane inquires about what to the woman in the village shop?
3. According to Jane, what is one reason the intimacy she shares with Diana and Mary does not extend to St. John?
4. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
5. Jane states that, with Mary and Diana, there is a _________congeniality of tastes, sentiments, and principles.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane greet Mr. Rochester at Ferndean, and what is his response?
2. How does St. John discover Jane's true identity?
3. How does Jane feel about her new teaching job, and why is it significant?
4. What are St. John's feelings for Rosamond Oliver, and how is it significant?
5. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
6. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
7. How does Jane's fortune change dramatically after her true identity is revealed?
8. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
9. What message does St. John leave for Jane before he departs as a missionary?
10. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Gateshead and Thornfield.
1) What are their similarities and differences?
2) How do these estates mirror Jane's development as a character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the conflict between Jane and society?
2) What is the conflict between Jane and the other characters?
3) What is the conflict between Jane and herself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss passion as a major theme in the novel.
1) Identify how the various types of passion (i.e., sexual, spiritual, and emotional,) work in the novel.
2) What kind of passion is privileged by Jane? Mr. Rochester? St. John? Why?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)