|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
2. When Jane gives St. John a tour of Moor House prior to Diana's and Mary's arrival, what does he do that displeases her?
3. How does Jane respond to St. John's inquiry the night before he is to go to India about why she refuses to marry him?
4. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester after the fire?
5. Who is the missing girl in the advertisements about which St. John informs Jane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
2. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
3. Who does Mr. Rochester show to Mr. Briggs, Mr. Mason, and Jane at Thornfield?
4. Why does Jane run outside after St. John reads from the book of Revelations, and why is it significant?
5. What does Jane discover about Rosamond Oliver's feelings for St. John, and what does it signify?
6. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
7. What does Jane discover when she leaves Moor House and returns to Thornfield?
8. What message does St. John leave for Jane before he departs as a missionary?
9. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
10. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of friendship in "Jane Eyre."
1) Compare and contrast Helen Burns with Mary and Diane Rivers as Jane's confidants.
2) What qualities does Jane seek in her friendships with women?
3) What qualities does Jane seek in her friendships with men?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of race in the novel? How does Bertha Mason's mixed-race heritage affect her characterization as monstrous and animalistic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jane as the heroine in the novel.
1) What qualities does Jane possess that make her a heroic figure?
2) How are Jane's actions heroic?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)