|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. John Eyre of Madeira leave to Jane following his death?
2. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
3. As the sisters discuss St. John's leaving England the following year, how does St. John respond to Mary's question about Rosamond Oliver?
4. In responding to Jane's refusal to marry him, he tells her that her words are violent, _______, and untrue.
5. At the beginning of the marriage ceremony, what impediment does the stranger give to stop Jane's and Mr. Rochester's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom does Jane find in the room following her nightmare the day before the wedding, and what does it foreshadow?
2. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
3. What does Jane discover about Rosamond Oliver's feelings for St. John, and what does it signify?
4. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
5. What are Jane's plans after her fortune has dramatically changed, and why does St. John urge her to reconsider them?
6. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
7. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
8. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
9. What does Jane's refusal to be Mr. Rochester's mistress signify?
10. How does Jane cope with her new life at Marsh End?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of house servants in the Victorian household.
1) What is the relationship between house servants and the proprietors?
2) What is the relationship between house servants and the dependents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the significance of the setting to the plot?
2) What is the connection between the physical and psychological landscapes in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of class in the novel.
1) How does class function in the novel?
2) How does Jane's class position shift throughout the novel?
3) What are the determining factors that make up a person's class position?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)