|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After revealing her identity to Mr. Rochester, what does she tell him about her circumstances since leaving Thornfield?
2. Jane states that, with Mary and Diana, there is a _________congeniality of tastes, sentiments, and principles.
3. Why does St. John want Jane to accompany him to India as his wife?
4. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
5. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
2. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
3. How does Jane cope with her new life at Marsh End?
4. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
5. How does Jane feel about her new teaching job, and why is it significant?
6. What happens when Jane tries to look for work after leaving Thornfield, and why is it significant?
7. What are Jane's plans after her fortune has dramatically changed, and why does St. John urge her to reconsider them?
8. The day before the wedding, Jane dreams about what that is significant?
9. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
10. What does Jane learn about the Rivers family, and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss passion as a major theme in the novel.
1) Identify how the various types of passion (i.e., sexual, spiritual, and emotional,) work in the novel.
2) What kind of passion is privileged by Jane? Mr. Rochester? St. John? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss reader reception at the time of publication. How was "Jane Eyre" received by critics and the general public?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of class in the novel.
1) How does class function in the novel?
2) How does Jane's class position shift throughout the novel?
3) What are the determining factors that make up a person's class position?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)