|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Jane been married to Mr. Rochester at the end of the novel?
2. How is St. John related to Jane?
3. How does Jane respond to St. John's inquiry the night before he is to go to India about why she refuses to marry him?
4. Jane comes across a little girl and asks her for what item that she is about to throw to the pigs?
5. Jane give money to whom the morning after Mr. Rochester's proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
2. What is Jane's married life like, and why is it significant?
3. What does Jane learn about the Rivers family, and why is it significant?
4. What happens when Jane is refused entrance to the house where three women are knitting in mourning clothes?
5. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
6. What does Jane discover when she leaves Moor House and returns to Thornfield?
7. What does Jane discover about Rosamond Oliver's feelings for St. John, and what does it signify?
8. Why does Jane run outside after St. John reads from the book of Revelations, and why is it significant?
9. Who does Mr. Rochester show to Mr. Briggs, Mr. Mason, and Jane at Thornfield?
10. How does Jane greet Mr. Rochester at Ferndean, and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jane as the heroine in the novel.
1) What qualities does Jane possess that make her a heroic figure?
2) How are Jane's actions heroic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the conflict between Jane and society?
2) What is the conflict between Jane and the other characters?
3) What is the conflict between Jane and herself?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of imagination in the novel. How does imagination function as both a blessing and curse for Jane?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)