|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane greets Mr. Rochester the morning after his proposal, he calls her a pale, little what?
2. Mr. Rochester peppers Jane with questions about whom once she returns to him from Moor House?
3. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
4. How do Jane's village neighbors treat her?
5. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having asked God if he would find bliss and peace once more?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the function of marriage in the novel.
1) What values does the institution of marriage uphold and reinforce?
2) How is Jane's marriage to Mr. Rochester both a traditional and unconventional marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of house servants in the Victorian household.
1) What is the relationship between house servants and the proprietors?
2) What is the relationship between house servants and the dependents?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mr. Rochester and St. John as characters.
1) What are their similarities and differences?
2) How do they function as authority figures?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)