|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When St. John asks where Jane last resided, how does Jane respond?
2. At the beginning of the marriage ceremony, what impediment does the stranger give to stop Jane's and Mr. Rochester's wedding?
3. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
4. As Jane prays for guidance about whether she should go with St. John, what does the voice she hears say?
5. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the function of marriage in the novel.
1) What values does the institution of marriage uphold and reinforce?
2) How is Jane's marriage to Mr. Rochester both a traditional and unconventional marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conflict in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the conflict between Jane and society?
2) What is the conflict between Jane and the other characters?
3) What is the conflict between Jane and herself?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Gateshead and Thornfield.
1) What are their similarities and differences?
2) How do these estates mirror Jane's development as a character?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)