|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After revealing her identity to Mr. Rochester, what does she tell him about her circumstances since leaving Thornfield?
2. What feeling comes over Jane when St. John rests his hand on her head one last time so that she is tempted to give in to his proposal?
3. When Jane greets Mr. Rochester the morning after his proposal, he calls her a pale, little what?
4. On the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, what does Jane think she should do?
5. After Jane refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress and leaves Thornfield, where does the coachman drop her when she runs out of money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
2. What does Jane discover when she leaves Moor House and returns to Thornfield?
3. How does the Rivers family treat Jane, and why is it significant?
4. What do the Rivers discover about the death of a wealthy uncle, and why is it significant?
5. Who does Mr. Rochester show to Mr. Briggs, Mr. Mason, and Jane at Thornfield?
6. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
7. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
8. How does Jane cope with her new life at Marsh End?
9. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
10. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of house servants in the Victorian household.
1) What is the relationship between house servants and the proprietors?
2) What is the relationship between house servants and the dependents?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss reader reception at the time of publication. How was "Jane Eyre" received by critics and the general public?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of governesses in the novel.
1) How are governesses treated in the novel?
2) How does Jane feel about her role as a governess?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)