|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Mason tell the surgeon about his shoulder?
2. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
3. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
4. Jane warns the gypsy of what when she asks if Jane would like her fortune told?
5. Who is Adele's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the gypsy ask Jane, and why is this significant?
2. What does Jane tell the gypsy about her art, and why is this significant?
3. When Jane first learns that Mr. Rochester may marry Blanche Ingram, why does she compare herself to her?
4. What does Mr. Rochester demand of Jane and Mr. Mason when they are left alone together, and what does it signify?
5. What are the conditions like at Lowood, and what does it signify about the educational system?
6. Why does Jane stay at Gateshead after Mrs. Reed passes, and why is this significant?
7. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester, and why is this significant?
8. What happens when Jane confesses her feelings for Mr. Rochester, and how is this significant?
9. What is Jane's first impression of Thornfield in her new position as governess, and why is this significant?
10. What happens to Mr. Mason during his first night at Thornfield, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss reader reception at the time of publication. How was "Jane Eyre" received by critics and the general public?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of gender in "Jane Eyre."
1) What role does gender play in the choices Jane has?
2) How does Jane conform to and/or resist her gendered role in the novel?
3) How does Mr. Rochester conform to and/or resist his gendered role in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jane as the heroine in the novel.
1) What qualities does Jane possess that make her a heroic figure?
2) How are Jane's actions heroic?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)