|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
2. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
3. As Jane watches the group perform, she states to the reader that she could not _____Mr. Rochester merely because he has ceased to notice her.
4. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
5. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mr. Rochester's response to Jane's homecoming from Gateshead revealing?
2. When Jane first learns that Mr. Rochester may marry Blanche Ingram, why does she compare herself to her?
3. When Jane and Rochester meet in the garden, why does Mr. Rochester tell her about a position in Ireland?
4. How do Bessie and Mr. Lloyd help Jane after she is punished in the Red Room, and why is this significant?
5. What does Jane's first dinner with Mr. Rochester at Thornfield foreshadow?
6. What does Jane tell the gypsy about her art, and why is this significant?
7. On her deathbed, Mrs. Reed informs Jane of what, and why is this significant?
8. What does Mrs. Reed tell Mr. Brocklehurst about Jane, and how is this significant?
9. What are the girls fed when Jane first arrives at Lowood that no one can eat, and why is this significant?
10. What appeared in a dream that Bessie once had that was a bad omen, and what does this foreshadow in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the conflict between Jane and society?
2) What is the conflict between Jane and the other characters?
3) What is the conflict between Jane and herself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jane as the heroine in the novel.
1) What qualities does Jane possess that make her a heroic figure?
2) How are Jane's actions heroic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss passion as a major theme in the novel.
1) Identify how the various types of passion (i.e., sexual, spiritual, and emotional,) work in the novel.
2) What kind of passion is privileged by Jane? Mr. Rochester? St. John? Why?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)