|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, how has John Reed died?
2. What is the name of the surgeon with whom Mr. Rochester returns?
3. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
4. To whom is Blanche referring when she tells Mr. Rochester that "half of them detestable, and the rest ridiculous"?
5. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rochester returns with Blanche and a large party, how do they treat Jane, and why is this significant?
2. From what do the girls at Lowood suffer when Spring arrives, and how is this significant?
3. What does Mr. Rochester demand of Jane and Mr. Mason when they are left alone together, and what does it signify?
4. Why is Jane forbidden to sit with Mrs. Reed and the children, and how is this significant?
5. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
6. On her deathbed, Mrs. Reed informs Jane of what, and why is this significant?
7. What does Jane's first dinner with Mr. Rochester at Thornfield foreshadow?
8. What appeared in a dream that Bessie once had that was a bad omen, and what does this foreshadow in the novel?
9. What is Jane's first impression of Thornfield in her new position as governess, and why is this significant?
10. What happens to Mr. Mason during his first night at Thornfield, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Point of View in the novel.
1) What is the POV?
2) How does the POV influence reader reception?
3) What is the connection between the POV and pacing in "Jane Eyre?"
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jane as the heroine in the novel.
1) What qualities does Jane possess that make her a heroic figure?
2) How are Jane's actions heroic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the function of marriage in the novel.
1) What values does the institution of marriage uphold and reinforce?
2) How is Jane's marriage to Mr. Rochester both a traditional and unconventional marriage?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)