|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
2. What is the name of the surgeon with whom Mr. Rochester returns?
3. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
4. According to Jane, women are supposed to be generally calm, but they feel what?
5. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who arrives to tell the guests' fortunes? How does Blanche respond to her fortune's being told?
2. What is Jane's impression of Mr. Rochester's and Blanche's relationship?
3. How is Helen Burns treated by Miss Scatcherd, and how does she respond?
4. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester, and why is this significant?
5. On her deathbed, Mrs. Reed informs Jane of what, and why is this significant?
6. Why is Jane forbidden to sit with Mrs. Reed and the children, and how is this significant?
7. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
8. How do Bessie and Mr. Lloyd help Jane after she is punished in the Red Room, and why is this significant?
9. What is Jane's first impression of Thornfield in her new position as governess, and why is this significant?
10. When Rochester returns with Blanche and a large party, how do they treat Jane, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflict in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the conflict between Jane and society?
2) What is the conflict between Jane and the other characters?
3) What is the conflict between Jane and herself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss reader reception at the time of publication. How was "Jane Eyre" received by critics and the general public?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the significance of the setting to the plot?
2) What is the connection between the physical and psychological landscapes in the novel?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)