|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
2. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
3. Regarding the prospect of leaving, Jane tells Mr. Rochester, "I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of ______".
4. Jane warns the gypsy of what when she asks if Jane would like her fortune told?
5. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jane's first impression of Thornfield in her new position as governess, and why is this significant?
2. What are the girls fed when Jane first arrives at Lowood that no one can eat, and why is this significant?
3. What does the gypsy ask Jane, and why is this significant?
4. From what do the girls at Lowood suffer when Spring arrives, and how is this significant?
5. When Rochester returns with Blanche and a large party, how do they treat Jane, and why is this significant?
6. Why does Jane stay at Gateshead after Mrs. Reed passes, and why is this significant?
7. What appeared in a dream that Bessie once had that was a bad omen, and what does this foreshadow in the novel?
8. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester, and why is this significant?
9. How is Helen Burns treated by Miss Scatcherd, and how does she respond?
10. What does Mrs. Reed tell Mr. Brocklehurst about Jane, and how is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jane as the heroine in the novel.
1) What qualities does Jane possess that make her a heroic figure?
2) How are Jane's actions heroic?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss reader reception at the time of publication. How was "Jane Eyre" received by critics and the general public?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of friendship in "Jane Eyre."
1) Compare and contrast Helen Burns with Mary and Diane Rivers as Jane's confidants.
2) What qualities does Jane seek in her friendships with women?
3) What qualities does Jane seek in her friendships with men?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)