|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding the prospect of leaving, Jane tells Mr. Rochester, "I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of ______".
2. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
3. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
4. According to Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, how has John Reed died?
5. Jane warns the gypsy of what when she asks if Jane would like her fortune told?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
2. What is Jane's first impression of Thornfield in her new position as governess, and why is this significant?
3. What happens when Jane confesses her feelings for Mr. Rochester, and how is this significant?
4. What is Jane's impression of Mr. Rochester's and Blanche's relationship?
5. What does Mr. Rochester demand of Jane and Mr. Mason when they are left alone together, and what does it signify?
6. How do Bessie and Mr. Lloyd help Jane after she is punished in the Red Room, and why is this significant?
7. What is the aftermath of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation regarding Jane?
8. When Jane and Rochester meet in the garden, why does Mr. Rochester tell her about a position in Ireland?
9. How does Jane respond to Mr. Rochester's inquiry about whether she finds him attractive, and why is this significant?
10. When Rochester returns with Blanche and a large party, how do they treat Jane, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of insanity in the novel.
1) What is the connection between insanity and criminality in "Jane Eyre?"
2) What are the boundaries that separate "normal" from "insane" behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Reed family with the Rivers family.
1) Which family most embodies the notion of family and why?
2) How do members within the family treat those outside of their group?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of class in the novel.
1) How does class function in the novel?
2) How does Jane's class position shift throughout the novel?
3) What are the determining factors that make up a person's class position?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)