|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
2. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
3. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
4. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
5. Jane is speaking to whom when she states, "I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester demand of Jane and Mr. Mason when they are left alone together, and what does it signify?
2. From what do the girls at Lowood suffer when Spring arrives, and how is this significant?
3. Why does Jane stay at Gateshead after Mrs. Reed passes, and why is this significant?
4. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
5. How is Helen Burns treated by Miss Scatcherd, and how does she respond?
6. How does Jane respond to Mr. Rochester's inquiry about whether she finds him attractive, and why is this significant?
7. What happens to Mr. Mason during his first night at Thornfield, and why is this significant?
8. What does Mrs. Reed tell Mr. Brocklehurst about Jane, and how is this significant?
9. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester, and why is this significant?
10. How is Mr. Rochester's response to Jane's homecoming from Gateshead revealing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mr. Rochester and St. John as characters.
1) What are their similarities and differences?
2) How do they function as authority figures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of friendship in "Jane Eyre."
1) Compare and contrast Helen Burns with Mary and Diane Rivers as Jane's confidants.
2) What qualities does Jane seek in her friendships with women?
3) What qualities does Jane seek in her friendships with men?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of house servants in the Victorian household.
1) What is the relationship between house servants and the proprietors?
2) What is the relationship between house servants and the dependents?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)