|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
2. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to fetch for Mr. Mason from the drawer in his room?
3. As Mr. Rochester and Jane discuss the prospect of her going to Ireland, what does Jane begin to do when she hears a nightingale?
4. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
5. According to Mr. Rochester, Jane is ______, quiet, _______, and simple.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jane stay at Gateshead after Mrs. Reed passes, and why is this significant?
2. When Rochester returns with Blanche and a large party, how do they treat Jane, and why is this significant?
3. What does Mr. Rochester demand of Jane and Mr. Mason when they are left alone together, and what does it signify?
4. What happens to Helen Burns, and why is this significant?
5. How do Bessie and Mr. Lloyd help Jane after she is punished in the Red Room, and why is this significant?
6. Who arrives to tell the guests' fortunes? How does Blanche respond to her fortune's being told?
7. What does Jane tell the gypsy about her art, and why is this significant?
8. How is Mr. Rochester's response to Jane's homecoming from Gateshead revealing?
9. On her deathbed, Mrs. Reed informs Jane of what, and why is this significant?
10. What happens when Jane confesses her feelings for Mr. Rochester, and how is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Jane as the heroine in the novel.
1) What qualities does Jane possess that make her a heroic figure?
2) How are Jane's actions heroic?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Gateshead and Thornfield.
1) What are their similarities and differences?
2) How do these estates mirror Jane's development as a character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting in "Jane Eyre."
1) What is the significance of the setting to the plot?
2) What is the connection between the physical and psychological landscapes in the novel?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)