|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Rochester is in Leah's, what "sickening sense" does Jane feel regarding his absence?
2. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
3. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
4. According to Jane, why is Blanche "too inferior" to excite jealousy?
5. Why does Mr. Rochester fetch Jane in the middle of the night to help Mr. Mason?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane respond to Mr. Rochester's inquiry about whether she finds him attractive, and why is this significant?
2. Why does Jane stay at Gateshead after Mrs. Reed passes, and why is this significant?
3. What does Jane tell the gypsy about her art, and why is this significant?
4. What does Mr. Rochester demand of Jane and Mr. Mason when they are left alone together, and what does it signify?
5. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester, and why is this significant?
6. What does Mrs. Reed tell Mr. Brocklehurst about Jane, and how is this significant?
7. Who arrives to tell the guests' fortunes? How does Blanche respond to her fortune's being told?
8. Why is Jane punished in the Red Room, and why is the room significant?
9. What is the aftermath of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation regarding Jane?
10. What happens to Mr. Mason during his first night at Thornfield, and why is this significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Gateshead and Thornfield.
1) What are their similarities and differences?
2) How do these estates mirror Jane's development as a character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of governesses in the novel.
1) How are governesses treated in the novel?
2) How does Jane feel about her role as a governess?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss reader reception at the time of publication. How was "Jane Eyre" received by critics and the general public?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)