|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to do as they listen to the nightingale?
2. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
3. According to Jane, she tells Mr. Rochester a wanderer's repose and sinner's reformation do NOT depend on what?
4. According to Jane, why is Blanche "too inferior" to excite jealousy?
5. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Bessie and Mr. Lloyd help Jane after she is punished in the Red Room, and why is this significant?
2. What does Jane tell the gypsy about her art, and why is this significant?
3. When Rochester returns with Blanche and a large party, how do they treat Jane, and why is this significant?
4. How is Mr. Rochester's response to Jane's homecoming from Gateshead revealing?
5. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
6. What happens to Mr. Mason during his first night at Thornfield, and why is this significant?
7. When Jane and Rochester meet in the garden, why does Mr. Rochester tell her about a position in Ireland?
8. What does the gypsy ask Jane, and why is this significant?
9. What are the girls fed when Jane first arrives at Lowood that no one can eat, and why is this significant?
10. What are the conditions like at Lowood, and what does it signify about the educational system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the function of marriage in the novel.
1) What values does the institution of marriage uphold and reinforce?
2) How is Jane's marriage to Mr. Rochester both a traditional and unconventional marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Point of View in the novel.
1) What is the POV?
2) How does the POV influence reader reception?
3) What is the connection between the POV and pacing in "Jane Eyre?"
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of race in the novel? How does Bertha Mason's mixed-race heritage affect her characterization as monstrous and animalistic?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)