|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the book Jane reads that begins, "Day set on Norham's castled steep, And Tweed's fair river broad and deep"?
2. When Jane recalls asking to trade her handkerchief and glove for a cake and is refused, she states that she _________none of those who________me.
(a) Blamed; repulsed.
(b) Forgave; scorned.
(c) Forgave; repulsed.
(d) Scorned; helped.
3. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is a runaway from another island.
(b) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(c) She is the mistress of his father.
(d) She is ill with thyphus.
4. How do Jane's village neighbors treat her?
5. What feeling comes over Jane when St. John rests his hand on her head one last time so that she is tempted to give in to his proposal?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does St. John respond to Jane's letter announcing her marriage to Mr. Rochester?
2. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having asked God if he would find bliss and peace once more?
3. What feeling does Jane observe St. John has for Rosamond Oliver?
4. Where is Mr. Rochester living following the fire at Thornfield?
5. What two things does Jane claim she will be when Mr. Rochester states how he will dress her up in satin and lace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
2. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
3. How does Jane feel about her new teaching job, and why is it significant?
4. How does St. John discover Jane's true identity?
5. How does Jane greet Mr. Rochester at Ferndean, and what is his response?
6. What does Jane's refusal to be Mr. Rochester's mistress signify?
7. What message does St. John leave for Jane before he departs as a missionary?
8. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
9. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
10. How does Jane's fortune change dramatically after her true identity is revealed?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)