|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Jane observe St. John has for Rosamond Oliver?
2. What does Mr. John Eyre of Madeira leave to Jane following his death?
(a) Some of his property.
(b) None of his property.
(c) All of his property.
(d) A small portion of his property.
3. When Jane asks why Mr. Rochester had wanted Jane to believe that he was going to marry Blanche Ingram, what does he say?
(a) That he had made a promise he did not intend to keep.
(b) That he knew she would not believe it to be true.
(c) That Blanche Ingram had tricked him into becoming engaged.
(d) That he knew jealousy would be his best ally.
4. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
5. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
(a) Because his father has business there.
(b) Because his brother is buried there.
(c) Because he has arranged to be married.
(d) Because he is in trouble with the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
2. During what month does Jane depart from Moor House to return to Thornfield?
3. How much is Jane worth after the death of her uncle?
4. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
5. How does Jane feel about married life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does St. John discover Jane's true identity?
2. Why does Jane run outside after St. John reads from the book of Revelations, and why is it significant?
3. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
4. Who does Mr. Rochester show to Mr. Briggs, Mr. Mason, and Jane at Thornfield?
5. How does the Rivers family treat Jane, and why is it significant?
6. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
7. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
8. What does Jane's refusal to be Mr. Rochester's mistress signify?
9. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
10. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)