|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester say in the church that he meant to be, but fate has out-maneuvered him?
(a) A bigamist.
(b) A father.
(c) A husband.
(d) A thief.
2. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is a runaway from another island.
(b) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(c) She is the mistress of his father.
(d) She is ill with thyphus.
3. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
(a) A school for wealthy girls.
(b) A school for wealthy girls and boys.
(c) A school for poor girls.
(d) A school for poor girls and boys.
4. What does Mr. John Eyre of Madeira leave to Jane following his death?
(a) A small portion of his property.
(b) Some of his property.
(c) None of his property.
(d) All of his property.
5. How is St. John related to Jane?
(a) His father is her father's brother.
(b) His mother is her mother's sister.
(c) His father is her mother's brother.
(d) His mother is her father's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mr. Rochester living following the fire at Thornfield?
2. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
3. On the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, what does Jane think she should do?
4. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
5. Jane give money to whom the morning after Mr. Rochester's proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jane's married life like, and why is it significant?
2. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
3. What message does St. John leave for Jane before he departs as a missionary?
4. How does Jane's fortune change dramatically after her true identity is revealed?
5. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
6. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
7. How does Jane cope with her new life at Marsh End?
8. What does Jane discover about Rosamond Oliver's feelings for St. John, and what does it signify?
9. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
10. How does the Rivers family treat Jane, and why is it significant?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)