|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
2. What is St. John's occupation?
(a) He is a lawyer.
(b) He is a cobbler.
(c) He is a parson.
(d) He is a teacher.
3. When Jane visits Adele at school, what is her assessment of the place?
(a) That it is too strict.
(b) That it is too small.
(c) That it is too large.
(d) That it is too lenient.
4. When Jane gives St. John a tour of Moor House prior to Diana's and Mary's arrival, what does he do that displeases her?
(a) Takes a walk.
(b) Cleans the kitchen.
(c) Reads a book.
(d) Irons the shirts.
5. According to Jane, what is one reason the intimacy she shares with Diana and Mary does not extend to St. John?
(a) Because he is seldom generous.
(b) Because he is seldom at home.
(c) Because he is seldom kind.
(d) Because he is seldom understood.
Short Answer Questions
1. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
2. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
3. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
4. Why does St. John want Jane to accompany him to India as his wife?
5. Why does Mr. Oliver invite her to spend the evening at Vale Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane's fortune change dramatically after her true identity is revealed?
2. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
3. How does the Rivers family treat Jane, and why is it significant?
4. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
5. What are Jane's plans after her fortune has dramatically changed, and why does St. John urge her to reconsider them?
6. How does Jane cope with her new life at Marsh End?
7. How does Jane greet Mr. Rochester at Ferndean, and what is his response?
8. What do the Rivers discover about the death of a wealthy uncle, and why is it significant?
9. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
10. Who does Mr. Rochester show to Mr. Briggs, Mr. Mason, and Jane at Thornfield?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)