|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jane recalls asking to trade her handkerchief and glove for a cake and is refused, she states that she _________none of those who________me.
(a) Scorned; helped.
(b) Blamed; repulsed.
(c) Forgave; scorned.
(d) Forgave; repulsed.
2. At the beginning of the marriage ceremony, what impediment does the stranger give to stop Jane's and Mr. Rochester's wedding?
(a) That Jane has a husband now dead.
(b) That Jane has a husband now living.
(c) That Mr. Rochester has a wife now living.
(d) That Mr. Rochester has a wife now dead.
3. When St. John asks Jane to accompany him to India, to what condition she does not want to agree?
(a) To be his pupil.
(b) To be his mistress.
(c) To be his teacher.
(d) To be his wife.
4. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
(a) A school for poor girls.
(b) A school for wealthy girls.
(c) A school for wealthy girls and boys.
(d) A school for poor girls and boys.
5. On the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, what does Jane think she should do?
(a) Marry Mr. Rochester.
(b) Enter a nunnery.
(c) Become a mistress.
(d) Leave Thornfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of face does Jane tell Mr. Rochester the person in the closet had when she looked in the mirror?
2. How is St. John related to Jane?
3. Where is Mr. Rochester living following the fire at Thornfield?
4. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
5. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester after the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
2. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
3. The day before the wedding, Jane dreams about what that is significant?
4. What premonition does Jane have about St. John, and how is this significant?
5. What happens when Jane is refused entrance to the house where three women are knitting in mourning clothes?
6. How does Jane cope with her new life at Marsh End?
7. Who does Mr. Rochester show to Mr. Briggs, Mr. Mason, and Jane at Thornfield?
8. What is Jane's married life like, and why is it significant?
9. Whom does Jane find in the room following her nightmare the day before the wedding, and what does it foreshadow?
10. Why does Jane run outside after St. John reads from the book of Revelations, and why is it significant?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)