|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
(a) Three and five.
(b) Thirteen and three.
(c) Three and three.
(d) Three and none.
2. How does Jane feel about married life?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is regretful.
(c) She is wistful.
(d) She is unhappy.
3. When Jane recalls her dreams to Mr. Rochester about Thornfield's being in a dreary ruin, what does she tell him she is carrying in a shawl?
(a) A rose.
(b) A child.
(c) A bible.
(d) A lamb.
4. Why does St. John want Jane to accompany him to India as his wife?
(a) Because he disapproves of a single woman's accompanying a single man.
(b) Because he has vowed revenge against Rosamond.
(c) Because he disapproves of her love for Mr. Rochester.
(d) Because he has vowed to love and honor her.
5. What skill does Jane possess that surprises and charms Diana and Mary?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Rochester, he tells Jane that it has been ten years since he has flown from Europe with what three things as his companion?
2. Who steps forward at the church as a witness that causes Mr. Rochester to convulse in fury or despair at the sight?
3. What does Mr. Rochester say in the church that he meant to be, but fate has out-maneuvered him?
4. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
5. Where is Mr. Rochester living following the fire at Thornfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jane is refused entrance to the house where three women are knitting in mourning clothes?
2. Why is Rochester's and Jane's marriage stopped, and what does it mean?
3. Why had Mr. Rochester married Bertha Mason, and how is this significant?
4. How does the Rivers family treat Jane, and why is it significant?
5. What are St. John's feelings for Rosamond Oliver, and how is it significant?
6. What does Jane discover about Rosamond Oliver's feelings for St. John, and what does it signify?
7. What premonition does Jane have about St. John, and how is this significant?
8. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
9. How does St. John discover Jane's true identity?
10. Why does Jane run outside after St. John reads from the book of Revelations, and why is it significant?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)