|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who steps forward at the church as a witness that causes Mr. Rochester to convulse in fury or despair at the sight?
(a) Blanche Ingram.
(b) Bertha Mason.
(c) Mr. Green.
(d) Mr. Mason.
2. On the day before Jane and Mr. Rochester are to leave to be married, what is written on the labels that Jane cannot bring herself to affix to her trunks?
(a) Mr. Rochester - London.
(b) Miss Eyre - London.
(c) Mr. Rochester and Miss Eyre - London.
(d) Mrs. Rochester - London.
3. As Jane recovers at Moor House and the servant Hannah takes care of her, why does Hannah disturb Jane?
(a) Because Jane has the feeling Hannah is prejudiced against her.
(b) Because Hannah does not take good care of her.
(c) Because Jane has the feeling Hannah wants to steal from her.
(d) Because Hannah tells her that she should leave immediately.
4. The record of marriage the person reads to stop the wedding is from how many years back?
5. What is the first sentence of the final chapter of "Jane Eyre?"
(a) Reader, I eloped with him.
(b) Reader, we married.
(c) Reader, we eloped.
(d) Reader, I married him.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jane prays for guidance about whether she should go with St. John, what does the voice she hears say?
2. In responding to Jane's refusal to marry him, he tells her that her words are violent, _______, and untrue.
3. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
4. How do Jane's village neighbors treat her?
5. What does Jane buy for Moor House to prepare for Diana and Mary's arrival?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane feel about her new teaching job, and why is it significant?
2. What argument does Jane provide to avoid wearing Rochester's family jewels, and what does this signify?
3. What is Jane's married life like, and why is it significant?
4. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
5. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
6. The day before the wedding, Jane dreams about what that is significant?
7. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
8. What message does St. John leave for Jane before he departs as a missionary?
9. Whom does Jane find in the room following her nightmare the day before the wedding, and what does it foreshadow?
10. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)