|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester's former butler tell Jane happened to Bertha Mason during the fire?
(a) She poisoned herself.
(b) She shot herself.
(c) She hung herself.
(d) She jumped to her death.
2. After hearing the voice and breaking away from St. John, Jane states that it was "_____time to assume ascendency."
3. What does Bertha do when Mr. Rochester brings the party from the church to her room?
(a) Embraces her brother.
(b) Kisses Jane.
(c) Attacks him.
(d) Stabs Grace Poole.
4. How much is Jane worth after the death of her uncle?
(a) One-thousand pounds.
(b) Twenty-thousand pounds.
(c) Five-thousand pounds.
(d) Ten-thousand pounds.
5. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is the mistress of his father.
(b) She is a runaway from another island.
(c) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(d) She is ill with thyphus.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
2. When Jane greets Mr. Rochester the morning after his proposal, he calls her a pale, little what?
3. According to Mr. Rochester's former butler, what are Mr. Rochester's injuries?
4. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
5. What feeling does Jane observe St. John has for Rosamond Oliver?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jane tries to look for work after leaving Thornfield, and why is it significant?
2. How does Jane greet Mr. Rochester at Ferndean, and what is his response?
3. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
4. Why does St. John propose to Jane, and how does she respond?
5. Who does Mr. Rochester show to Mr. Briggs, Mr. Mason, and Jane at Thornfield?
6. How does Mr. Rochester respond to Jane's inquiry about Blanche's feelings regarding their upcoming marriage?
7. What does Jane discover when she leaves Moor House and returns to Thornfield?
8. The day before the wedding, Jane dreams about what that is significant?
9. How does Jane feel about her new teaching job, and why is it significant?
10. What happens when Jane is refused entrance to the house where three women are knitting in mourning clothes?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)