|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is ill with thyphus.
(b) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(c) She is a runaway from another island.
(d) She is the mistress of his father.
2. According to Mr. Rochester, he tells Jane that it has been ten years since he has flown from Europe with what three things as his companion?
(a) Gratitude, forgiveness, and faith.
(b) Sorrow, blame, and despair.
(c) Disgust, hate, and rage.
(d) Happiness, peace, and relief.
3. On the day before Jane and Mr. Rochester are to leave to be married, what is written on the labels that Jane cannot bring herself to affix to her trunks?
(a) Miss Eyre - London.
(b) Mrs. Rochester - London.
(c) Mr. Rochester - London.
(d) Mr. Rochester and Miss Eyre - London.
4. What does Bertha do when Mr. Rochester brings the party from the church to her room?
(a) Embraces her brother.
(b) Kisses Jane.
(c) Attacks him.
(d) Stabs Grace Poole.
5. What is the name of St. John's Pointer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling comes over Jane when St. John rests his hand on her head one last time so that she is tempted to give in to his proposal?
2. How does Jane feel about being a village schoolmistress?
3. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
4. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
5. How long has Jane been married to Mr. Rochester at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
2. What are St. John's feelings for Rosamond Oliver, and how is it significant?
3. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
4. What happens when Jane tries to look for work after leaving Thornfield, and why is it significant?
5. What premonition does Jane have about St. John, and how is this significant?
6. What does Jane discover about Rosamond Oliver's feelings for St. John, and what does it signify?
7. What do the Rivers discover about the death of a wealthy uncle, and why is it significant?
8. Whom does Jane find in the room following her nightmare the day before the wedding, and what does it foreshadow?
9. What are Jane's plans after her fortune has dramatically changed, and why does St. John urge her to reconsider them?
10. What happens when Jane is refused entrance to the house where three women are knitting in mourning clothes?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)