|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Burned porridge.
(b) Cold gruel.
(c) Rancid meat.
(d) Grainy soup.
2. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
(b) Small pox.
3. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about Adele's mother?
(a) That he has left her for another woman.
(b) That she has betrayed him.
(c) That she jas married him.
(d) That she has married someone else.
4. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
(a) Because Georgiana has sent for her.
(b) Because Bessie has sent for her.
(c) Because Eliza has sent for her.
(d) Because Mrs. Reed has sent for her.
5. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(a) Mrs. Eshton.
(b) Blanche Ingram.
(d) Mary Ingram.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Jane referring when she thinks, "I will put her to some test, such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension"?
2. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
3. Who is the newcomer who arrives from England whom the ladies call a "beautiful man"?
4. When Mr. Rochester gives Adele her gift, he tells Jane that he is not fond of what?
5. What is the gypsy doing when Jane enters the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. On her deathbed, Mrs. Reed informs Jane of what, and why is this significant?
2. What does Mrs. Reed tell Mr. Brocklehurst about Jane, and how is this significant?
3. From what do the girls at Lowood suffer when Spring arrives, and how is this significant?
4. What are the conditions like at Lowood, and what does it signify about the educational system?
5. What does Jane tell the gypsy about her art, and why is this significant?
6. What is Jane's impression of Mr. Rochester's and Blanche's relationship?
7. What appeared in a dream that Bessie once had that was a bad omen, and what does this foreshadow in the novel?
8. What is the aftermath of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation regarding Jane?
9. What happens to Mr. Mason during his first night at Thornfield, and why is this significant?
10. How is Mr. Rochester's response to Jane's homecoming from Gateshead revealing?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)