|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Leah's and the charwoman's conversation that Jane overhears, and is dropped once they perceive her?
(a) Grace Poole.
(c) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Blanche Ingram.
2. After Mrs. Reed's funeral, where does Eliza tell Jane she is taking up residence?
(a) An Italian school.
(b) An English estate.
(c) A French convent.
(d) A Spanish hospital.
3. What does Mr. Rochester forbid Mr. Mason and Jane to do before he departs?
4. Who is the newcomer who arrives from England whom the ladies call a "beautiful man"?
(a) Mr. Lynn.
(b) Mr. Mason.
(c) Mr. Fairfax.
(d) Mr. Eshton.
5. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(c) Colonel Dent.
(d) Mrs. Dent.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
2. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
3. Regarding the prospect of leaving, Jane tells Mr. Rochester, "I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of ______".
4. According to Jane, she tells Mr. Rochester a wanderer's repose and sinner's reformation do NOT depend on what?
5. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jane and Rochester meet in the garden, why does Mr. Rochester tell her about a position in Ireland?
2. Why is Jane forbidden to sit with Mrs. Reed and the children, and how is this significant?
3. What happens to Helen Burns, and why is this significant?
4. What does Mr. Rochester demand of Jane and Mr. Mason when they are left alone together, and what does it signify?
5. What does the gypsy ask Jane, and why is this significant?
6. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester, and why is this significant?
7. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
8. What is the aftermath of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation regarding Jane?
9. Why is Jane punished in the Red Room, and why is the room significant?
10. What is Jane's impression of Mr. Rochester's and Blanche's relationship?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)