|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jane, she tells Mr. Rochester a wanderer's repose and sinner's reformation do NOT depend on what?
(c) A fellow creature.
(d) The queen.
2. When Mr. Rochester is in Leah's, what "sickening sense" does Jane feel regarding his absence?
3. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
4. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
(a) Miss Temple.
(b) Miss Miller.
(c) Miss Smith.
(d) Miss Scatcherd.
5. Whom does Jane see riding along with Mr. Rochester on the night of the party's arrival, as well as the next morning?
(a) Grace Poole.
(b) Mrs. Eshton.
(c) Blanche Ingram.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
2. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
3. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
4. What is the gypsy doing when Jane enters the library?
5. Who is Adele's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester, and why is this significant?
2. What is Jane's first impression of Thornfield in her new position as governess, and why is this significant?
3. Who arrives to tell the guests' fortunes? How does Blanche respond to her fortune's being told?
4. Why is Jane forbidden to sit with Mrs. Reed and the children, and how is this significant?
5. Why is Jane punished in the Red Room, and why is the room significant?
6. On her deathbed, Mrs. Reed informs Jane of what, and why is this significant?
7. What happens to Helen Burns, and why is this significant?
8. How is Mr. Rochester's response to Jane's homecoming from Gateshead revealing?
9. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
10. What does Mrs. Reed tell Mr. Brocklehurst about Jane, and how is this significant?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)