|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Hated; disapproved; friends.
(b) Envied; approved; enemies.
(c) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(d) Hated; approved; friends.
2. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(b) Small pox.
3. What is the name of the surgeon with whom Mr. Rochester returns?
4. What does Mr. Mason tell the surgeon about his shoulder?
(a) That someone has shot him.
(b) That someone hafs pushed him.
(c) That someone has bit him.
(d) That someone has stabbed him.
5. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jane surprised to learn that Mr. Rochester is the proprietor of Thornfield?
2. Jane is speaking to whom when she states, "I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."
3. As Mr. Rochester and Jane discuss the prospect of her going to Ireland, what does Jane begin to do when she hears a nightingale?
4. Mr. Rochester compares Jane to what as she tries to free from his embrace?
5. When Jane addresses the reader on her way to Thornfield for the first time, she states that "though I look ______accommodated, I am not very________in my mind."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jane tries to look for work after leaving Thornfield, and why is it significant?
2. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having seen the hand of God for the first time?
3. Why does Jane stay at Gateshead after Mrs. Reed passes, and why is this significant?
4. What does Jane discover when she leaves Moor House and returns to Thornfield?
5. How does Jane feel about the Rivers family, and what does it signify?
6. What does Jane do when she discovers smoke coming from Mr. Rochester's room, and what does this signify?
7. How does Jane greet Mr. Rochester at Ferndean, and what is his response?
8. What happens when Jane is refused entrance to the house where three women are knitting in mourning clothes?
9. What does the gypsy ask Jane, and why is this significant?
10. Why does St. John treat Jane with icy reserve, and what does it reveal about his character?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)