|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
2. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
(a) Mrs. Fairfax.
(c) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Mr. Eshton.
3. Who orders a lunch of bread and cheese after learning of the girls' inedible breakfast?
(a) Miss Smith.
(b) Miss Miller.
(c) Miss Temple.
(d) Miss Scatcherd.
4. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(d) Small pox.
5. To whom is Blanche referring when she tells Mr. Rochester that "half of them detestable, and the rest ridiculous"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When she returns to Gateshead from Thornfield, Jane tells Mr. Rochester that "wherever you are is my _________"?
2. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
3. According to Mr. Rochester, Jane is ______, quiet, _______, and simple.
4. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
5. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jane stay at Gateshead after Mrs. Reed passes, and why is this significant?
2. What appeared in a dream that Bessie once had that was a bad omen, and what does this foreshadow in the novel?
3. What happens to Helen Burns, and why is this significant?
4. What does Jane's first dinner with Mr. Rochester at Thornfield foreshadow?
5. Why does Mr. Rochester insist Jane join the party each evening in the drawing room?
6. What is Jane's first impression of Thornfield in her new position as governess, and why is this significant?
7. What is Jane's impression of Mr. Rochester's and Blanche's relationship?
8. What does Mrs. Reed tell Mr. Brocklehurst about Jane, and how is this significant?
9. What happens to Mr. Mason during his first night at Thornfield, and why is this significant?
10. What does the gypsy ask Jane, and why is this significant?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)