|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When St. John asks where Jane last resided, how does Jane respond?
(a) That she is from Gateshead.
(b) That it is her secret.
(c) That it is not relevant.
(d) That she had resided with Mr. Rochester.
2. What does Mr. Rochester's former butler tell Jane happened to Bertha Mason during the fire?
(a) She hung herself.
(b) She poisoned herself.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She jumped to her death.
3. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is a runaway from another island.
(b) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(c) She is the mistress of his father.
(d) She is ill with thyphus.
4. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
5. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
(a) Calm, no. But happy.
(b) Calm, yes. But unhappy.
(c) Calm, no. And unhappy.
(d) Calm, yes. And happy.
6. Mr. Rochester's former butler tells Jane that Grace Poole possessed what fault?
(a) She lied.
(b) She smoked.
(c) She drank.
(d) She stole.
7. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
(a) A Ghost.
(b) A Siren.
(c) A Vampire.
(d) A Werewolf.
8. Jane give money to whom the morning after Mr. Rochester's proposal?
(a) A priest.
(b) Two school girls.
(c) An old man.
(d) A beggar woman and child.
9. Where is Mr. Rochester living following the fire at Thornfield?
10. How does Jane feel about married life?
(a) She is regretful.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is wistful.
(d) She is unhappy.
11. How is St. John related to Jane?
(a) His father is her father's brother.
(b) His mother is her father's sister.
(c) His father is her mother's brother.
(d) His mother is her mother's sister.
12. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
13. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
(a) That Adele Varens caused it.
(b) That Mr. Rochester caused it.
(c) That Grace Poole caused it.
(d) That Bertha Mason caused it.
14. After Jane refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress and leaves Thornfield, where does the coachman drop her when she runs out of money?
15. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
(a) She dislikes him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She envies him.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
2. Once Jane is well enough and dresses, what does Hannah ask her about which she is at first indignant?
3. What is the name of the book Jane reads that begins, "Day set on Norham's castled steep, And Tweed's fair river broad and deep"?
4. When Jane recalls asking to trade her handkerchief and glove for a cake and is refused, she states that she _________none of those who________me.
5. Upon reaching Thornfield, Jane states that "I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house: I saw a ________ _______."
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)