|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
2. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
3. Jane comes across a little girl and asks her for what item that she is about to throw to the pigs?
4. Jane states that, with Mary and Diana, there is a _________congeniality of tastes, sentiments, and principles.
(c) Lack of.
5. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
(a) A school for wealthy girls and boys.
(b) A school for poor girls and boys.
(c) A school for wealthy girls.
(d) A school for poor girls.
6. Jane give money to whom the morning after Mr. Rochester's proposal?
(a) A priest.
(b) An old man.
(c) A beggar woman and child.
(d) Two school girls.
7. Whom does Jane meet in her dreams during the time when she is a schoolmistress?
(a) Mr. Rochester.
(b) Mr. St. John.
(c) Mrs. Reed.
(d) Helen Burns.
8. What does Mr. Rochester's former butler tell Jane happened to Bertha Mason during the fire?
(a) She poisoned herself.
(b) She jumped to her death.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She hung herself.
9. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
(a) Calm, no. And unhappy.
(b) Calm, yes. And happy.
(c) Calm, no. But happy.
(d) Calm, yes. But unhappy.
10. On the third day of her homelessness, Jane inquires about what to the woman in the village shop?
(d) Mr. Rochester.
11. Upon reaching Thornfield, Jane states that "I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house: I saw a ________ _______."
(a) Blackened ruin.
(b) Tattered wreck.
(c) Unfamiliar mansion.
(d) Humble replacement.
12. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She loves him.
(c) She envies him.
(d) She dislikes him.
13. Why does St. John want Jane to accompany him to India as his wife?
(a) Because he disapproves of a single woman's accompanying a single man.
(b) Because he disapproves of her love for Mr. Rochester.
(c) Because he has vowed to love and honor her.
(d) Because he has vowed revenge against Rosamond.
14. What is the name of St. John's Pointer?
15. After Jane refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress and leaves Thornfield, where does the coachman drop her when she runs out of money?
Short Answer Questions
1. When St. John asks where Jane last resided, how does Jane respond?
2. During what month does Jane depart from Moor House to return to Thornfield?
3. What is the name of the book Jane reads that begins, "Day set on Norham's castled steep, And Tweed's fair river broad and deep"?
4. In Moor house, whom does Jane regard as the superior and leader?
5. When Jane recalls her dreams to Mr. Rochester about Thornfield's being in a dreary ruin, what does she tell him she is carrying in a shawl?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)