|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
(a) That Bertha Mason caused it.
(b) That Grace Poole caused it.
(c) That Mr. Rochester caused it.
(d) That Adele Varens caused it.
2. After Mr. Rochester discovers the truth about Bertha's insanity in the West Indies, what does he tell Jane he momentarily thought he should do?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Kill her and himself.
(c) Kill his father.
(d) Kill himself.
3. How is St. John related to Jane?
(a) His father is her mother's brother.
(b) His mother is her father's sister.
(c) His mother is her mother's sister.
(d) His father is her father's brother.
4. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
(a) A school for wealthy girls and boys.
(b) A school for wealthy girls.
(c) A school for poor girls.
(d) A school for poor girls and boys.
5. What feeling does Jane observe St. John has for Rosamond Oliver?
6. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
7. When Jane gives birth to a son, what does Mr. Rochester distinguish about him?
(a) That he has inherited Jane's smile.
(b) That he has inherited his own eyes.
(c) That he has inherited his size.
(d) That he has inherited Jane's size.
8. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
(b) Surrender to passion.
(c) Adhere to principle.
9. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
(a) Calm, yes. But unhappy.
(b) Calm, no. But happy.
(c) Calm, no. And unhappy.
(d) Calm, yes. And happy.
10. According to Mr. Rochester's former butler, what are Mr. Rochester's injuries?
(a) He has become deaf.
(b) He has become deaf and blind.
(c) He has become a cripple.
(d) He has become blind and a cripple.
11. What skill does Jane possess that surprises and charms Diana and Mary?
12. When Jane first lays her eyes on the injured Mr. Rochester, she compares him to what kind of animal?
(a) A horse.
(b) A dog.
(c) An eagle.
(d) A snake.
13. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
(a) That she is illiterate.
(b) That she is not uneducated.
(c) That she is French.
(d) That she is foreign.
14. Mr. Rochester's former butler tells Jane that Grace Poole possessed what fault?
(a) She stole.
(b) She smoked.
(c) She lied.
(d) She drank.
15. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
(a) Thirteen and three.
(b) Three and none.
(c) Three and five.
(d) Three and three.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane discovers what about her pupils that makes her realize she was initially mistaken?
2. According to Jane, what is one reason the intimacy she shares with Diana and Mary does not extend to St. John?
3. What time of year is it when Jane closes Morton school?
4. What is the name of the book Jane reads that begins, "Day set on Norham's castled steep, And Tweed's fair river broad and deep"?
5. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)