|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two things does Jane claim she will be when Mr. Rochester states how he will dress her up in satin and lace?
(a) An ape in a harlequin's jacket; a jay in borrowed plumes.
(b) A thirsty tiger in an oasis; an elephant in a gilded cage.
(c) A thirsty tiger in an oasis; a jay in borrowed plumes.
(d) An ape in a harlequin's jacket; an elephant in a gilded cage.
2. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
(a) Surrender to passion.
(b) Adhere to principle.
3. How does Jane feel about married life?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is unhappy.
(c) She is regretful.
(d) She is wistful.
4. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
5. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
(a) That Adele Varens caused it.
(b) That Bertha Mason caused it.
(c) That Grace Poole caused it.
(d) That Mr. Rochester caused it.
6. During what month does Jane depart from Moor House to return to Thornfield?
7. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
(a) A Siren.
(b) A Vampire.
(c) A Ghost.
(d) A Werewolf.
8. What does Mr. Rochester say in the church that he meant to be, but fate has out-maneuvered him?
(a) A husband.
(b) A bigamist.
(c) A father.
(d) A thief.
9. When Jane recalls her dreams to Mr. Rochester about Thornfield's being in a dreary ruin, what does she tell him she is carrying in a shawl?
(a) A rose.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A bible.
(d) A child.
10. After revealing her identity to Mr. Rochester, what does she tell him about her circumstances since leaving Thornfield?
(a) That she is a dependent woman.
(b) That she is a suffering woman.
(c) That she is an independent woman.
(d) That she is a healthy woman.
11. When Mr. Rochester asks Jane if she will ever forgive him, what does she tell the reader?
(a) That she will soon forgive him.
(b) That she would never forgive him.
(c) That she must pray for forgiveness.
(d) That she forgave him on the spot.
12. When Jane gives birth to a son, what does Mr. Rochester distinguish about him?
(a) That he has inherited Jane's size.
(b) That he has inherited Jane's smile.
(c) That he has inherited his size.
(d) That he has inherited his own eyes.
13. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester after the fire?
(a) She rides beside him.
(b) She meets him in the orchard.
(c) She brings a tray in for him.
(d) She leaves her notecard for him.
14. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
(a) That she is not uneducated.
(b) That she is illiterate.
(c) That she is French.
(d) That she is foreign.
15. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
(a) Because his brother is buried there.
(b) Because he is in trouble with the law.
(c) Because he has arranged to be married.
(d) Because his father has business there.
Short Answer Questions
1. When St. John asks where Jane last resided, how does Jane respond?
2. Whom does Jane meet in her dreams during the time when she is a schoolmistress?
3. What is the name of the book Jane reads that begins, "Day set on Norham's castled steep, And Tweed's fair river broad and deep"?
4. On the third day of her homelessness, Jane inquires about what to the woman in the village shop?
5. The record of marriage the person reads to stop the wedding is from how many years back?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)