|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In responding to Jane's refusal to marry him, he tells her that her words are violent, _______, and untrue.
2. What is the first sentence of the final chapter of "Jane Eyre?"
(a) Reader, we eloped.
(b) Reader, we married.
(c) Reader, I eloped with him.
(d) Reader, I married him.
3. How does Jane respond to St. John's inquiry the night before he is to go to India about why she refuses to marry him?
(a) That he would love her if she were to marry him.
(b) That he would mourn her if she were to marry him.
(c) That he would kill her if she were to marry him.
(d) That he would leave her if she were to marry him.
4. As Jane begs the woman called Hannah for food and shelter, who arrives to let her inside?
(a) Rosamond Oliver.
(b) St. John.
(c) Mr. Reed.
(d) Mr. Mason.
5. When St. John asks Jane to accompany him to India, to what condition she does not want to agree?
(a) To be his pupil.
(b) To be his wife.
(c) To be his mistress.
(d) To be his teacher.
6. How long has Jane been married to Mr. Rochester at the end of the novel?
(a) Two years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Ten years.
7. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
(a) Because his brother is buried there.
(b) Because he has arranged to be married.
(c) Because he is in trouble with the law.
(d) Because his father has business there.
8. How is St. John related to Jane?
(a) His mother is her father's sister.
(b) His father is her mother's brother.
(c) His mother is her mother's sister.
(d) His father is her father's brother.
9. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
10. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
(a) Calm, no. But happy.
(b) Calm, yes. And happy.
(c) Calm, no. And unhappy.
(d) Calm, yes. But unhappy.
11. During what month does Jane depart from Moor House to return to Thornfield?
12. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
(a) That she is illiterate.
(b) That she is foreign.
(c) That she is not uneducated.
(d) That she is French.
13. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
(a) She envies him.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She loves him.
14. As the sisters discuss St. John's leaving England the following year, how does St. John respond to Mary's question about Rosamond Oliver?
(a) He tells them she is also leaving the country.
(b) He tells them she is to be married to Mr. Granby.
(c) He tells them he is about to propose to her.
(d) He tells them she is to be married to Mr. Rochester.
15. According to Mr. Rochester, he tells Jane that it has been ten years since he has flown from Europe with what three things as his companion?
(a) Gratitude, forgiveness, and faith.
(b) Disgust, hate, and rage.
(c) Happiness, peace, and relief.
(d) Sorrow, blame, and despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
2. What does Jane buy for Moor House to prepare for Diana and Mary's arrival?
3. Why is St. John called away the night of Diana's and Mary's return to Moor House?
4. How does Jane feel about married life?
5. After Jane refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress and leaves Thornfield, where does the coachman drop her when she runs out of money?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)