|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mr. Rochester discovers the truth about Bertha's insanity in the West Indies, what does he tell Jane he momentarily thought he should do?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Kill her and himself.
(c) Kill his father.
(d) Kill her.
2. On the day before Jane and Mr. Rochester are to leave to be married, what is written on the labels that Jane cannot bring herself to affix to her trunks?
(a) Mr. Rochester - London.
(b) Mr. Rochester and Miss Eyre - London.
(c) Miss Eyre - London.
(d) Mrs. Rochester - London.
3. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
4. Why does Jane think, on the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, that "friends always forget those whom fortune forsakes"?
(a) Because no one checks on her.
(b) Because no one loves her.
(c) Because she is cast out.
(d) Because everyone has left.
5. When Jane greets Mr. Rochester the morning after his proposal, he calls her a pale, little what?
6. Upon reaching Thornfield, Jane states that "I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house: I saw a ________ _______."
(a) Humble replacement.
(b) Tattered wreck.
(c) Unfamiliar mansion.
(d) Blackened ruin.
7. How long has Jane been married to Mr. Rochester at the end of the novel?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
8. According to Jane, what is one reason the intimacy she shares with Diana and Mary does not extend to St. John?
(a) Because he is seldom at home.
(b) Because he is seldom understood.
(c) Because he is seldom generous.
(d) Because he is seldom kind.
9. As Jane prays for guidance about whether she should go with St. John, what does the voice she hears say?
(a) "Help! Help! Help!"
(b) "My love!"
(c) "Jane! Jane! Jane!"
(d) "Have faith!"
10. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is a runaway from another island.
(b) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(c) She is the mistress of his father.
(d) She is ill with thyphus.
11. What kind of face does Jane tell Mr. Rochester the person in the closet had when she looked in the mirror?
(a) A discoloured and savage face.
(b) A pale and old face.
(c) A smooth and pleasing face.
(d) A tan and haughty face.
12. After Jane refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress and leaves Thornfield, where does the coachman drop her when she runs out of money?
13. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She envies him.
14. When St. John asks where Jane last resided, how does Jane respond?
(a) That she had resided with Mr. Rochester.
(b) That it is her secret.
(c) That it is not relevant.
(d) That she is from Gateshead.
15. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
(a) A Werewolf.
(b) A Siren.
(c) A Vampire.
(d) A Ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester after the fire?
2. How is St. John related to Jane?
3. When Jane gives St. John a tour of Moor House prior to Diana's and Mary's arrival, what does he do that displeases her?
4. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having asked God if he would find bliss and peace once more?
5. What time of year is it when Jane closes Morton school?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)