|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane give money to whom the morning after Mr. Rochester's proposal?
(a) A priest.
(b) An old man.
(c) A beggar woman and child.
(d) Two school girls.
2. What is St. John's occupation?
(a) He is a cobbler.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a parson.
(d) He is a teacher.
3. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
4. When Jane greets Mr. Rochester the morning after his proposal, he calls her a pale, little what?
5. When St. John asks Jane to accompany him to India, to what condition she does not want to agree?
(a) To be his pupil.
(b) To be his teacher.
(c) To be his wife.
(d) To be his mistress.
6. When Jane visits Adele at school, what is her assessment of the place?
(a) That it is too lenient.
(b) That it is too strict.
(c) That it is too small.
(d) That it is too large.
7. How does St. John answer Miss Oliver's inquiries about coming to visit?
(a) Like an automaton.
(b) Like a friend.
(c) Like a little boy.
(d) Like a passionate lover.
8. What is the name of St. John's Pointer?
9. Why does Jane think, on the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, that "friends always forget those whom fortune forsakes"?
(a) Because no one loves her.
(b) Because everyone has left.
(c) Because no one checks on her.
(d) Because she is cast out.
10. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
(a) A school for wealthy girls and boys.
(b) A school for poor girls.
(c) A school for wealthy girls.
(d) A school for poor girls and boys.
11. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
(a) Because his father has business there.
(b) Because he is in trouble with the law.
(c) Because he has arranged to be married.
(d) Because his brother is buried there.
12. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
13. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having asked God if he would find bliss and peace once more?
(a) That he heard God's voice.
(b) That he heard her call his name.
(c) That he heard Jane's voice.
(d) That he called out her name.
14. When Mr. Rochester asks Jane if she will ever forgive him, what does she tell the reader?
(a) That she will soon forgive him.
(b) That she forgave him on the spot.
(c) That she must pray for forgiveness.
(d) That she would never forgive him.
15. According to Mr. Rochester, he tells Jane that it has been ten years since he has flown from Europe with what three things as his companion?
(a) Happiness, peace, and relief.
(b) Disgust, hate, and rage.
(c) Gratitude, forgiveness, and faith.
(d) Sorrow, blame, and despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Oliver invite her to spend the evening at Vale Hall?
2. As Jane recovers at Moor House and the servant Hannah takes care of her, why does Hannah disturb Jane?
3. When Jane gives St. John a tour of Moor House prior to Diana's and Mary's arrival, what does he do that displeases her?
4. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
5. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)