|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Jane been married to Mr. Rochester at the end of the novel?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Ten years.
2. Whom does Jane meet in her dreams during the time when she is a schoolmistress?
(a) Helen Burns.
(b) Mr. Rochester.
(c) Mr. St. John.
(d) Mrs. Reed.
3. Mr. Rochester peppers Jane with questions about whom once she returns to him from Moor House?
(a) Diana Rivers.
(b) Rosemond Oliver.
(c) Mr. Oliver.
(d) St. John.
4. How does Jane feel about being a village schoolmistress?
5. When Jane gives birth to a son, what does Mr. Rochester distinguish about him?
(a) That he has inherited his own eyes.
(b) That he has inherited Jane's size.
(c) That he has inherited his size.
(d) That he has inherited Jane's smile.
6. How does St. John answer Miss Oliver's inquiries about coming to visit?
(a) Like a friend.
(b) Like a little boy.
(c) Like a passionate lover.
(d) Like an automaton.
7. What time of year is it when Jane closes Morton school?
8. As Jane begs the woman called Hannah for food and shelter, who arrives to let her inside?
(a) St. John.
(b) Mr. Reed.
(c) Mr. Mason.
(d) Rosamond Oliver.
9. As the sisters discuss St. John's leaving England the following year, how does St. John respond to Mary's question about Rosamond Oliver?
(a) He tells them she is to be married to Mr. Rochester.
(b) He tells them she is also leaving the country.
(c) He tells them she is to be married to Mr. Granby.
(d) He tells them he is about to propose to her.
10. As Jane prays for guidance about whether she should go with St. John, what does the voice she hears say?
(a) "Have faith!"
(b) "Help! Help! Help!"
(c) "My love!"
(d) "Jane! Jane! Jane!"
11. Why is St. John called away the night of Diana's and Mary's return to Moor House?
(a) To see after a widow.
(b) To see after a dying child.
(c) To see after a dying mother.
(d) To see after an ill father.
12. Jane states that, with Mary and Diana, there is a _________congeniality of tastes, sentiments, and principles.
(d) Lack of.
13. On the day before Jane and Mr. Rochester are to leave to be married, what is written on the labels that Jane cannot bring herself to affix to her trunks?
(a) Mr. Rochester - London.
(b) Mr. Rochester and Miss Eyre - London.
(c) Miss Eyre - London.
(d) Mrs. Rochester - London.
14. According to Mr. Rochester's former butler, what are Mr. Rochester's injuries?
(a) He has become deaf and blind.
(b) He has become blind and a cripple.
(c) He has become a cripple.
(d) He has become deaf.
15. When Jane visits Adele at school, what is her assessment of the place?
(a) That it is too strict.
(b) That it is too lenient.
(c) That it is too small.
(d) That it is too large.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
2. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
3. When Jane asks why Mr. Rochester had wanted Jane to believe that he was going to marry Blanche Ingram, what does he say?
4. What does Mr. Rochester's former butler tell Jane happened to Bertha Mason during the fire?
5. How does St. John respond to Jane's letter announcing her marriage to Mr. Rochester?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)