|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester after the fire?
(a) She meets him in the orchard.
(b) She rides beside him.
(c) She leaves her notecard for him.
(d) She brings a tray in for him.
2. How do Jane's village neighbors treat her?
3. What does Bertha do when Mr. Rochester brings the party from the church to her room?
(a) Stabs Grace Poole.
(b) Embraces her brother.
(c) Attacks him.
(d) Kisses Jane.
4. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
(a) Because he has arranged to be married.
(b) Because he is in trouble with the law.
(c) Because his father has business there.
(d) Because his brother is buried there.
5. What does Mr. John Eyre of Madeira leave to Jane following his death?
(a) None of his property.
(b) A small portion of his property.
(c) All of his property.
(d) Some of his property.
6. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
7. How is St. John related to Jane?
(a) His mother is her father's sister.
(b) His mother is her mother's sister.
(c) His father is her mother's brother.
(d) His father is her father's brother.
8. At the beginning of the marriage ceremony, what impediment does the stranger give to stop Jane's and Mr. Rochester's wedding?
(a) That Mr. Rochester has a wife now living.
(b) That Jane has a husband now living.
(c) That Mr. Rochester has a wife now dead.
(d) That Jane has a husband now dead.
9. After revealing her identity to Mr. Rochester, what does she tell him about her circumstances since leaving Thornfield?
(a) That she is a suffering woman.
(b) That she is a dependent woman.
(c) That she is a healthy woman.
(d) That she is an independent woman.
10. Why does Mr. Oliver invite her to spend the evening at Vale Hall?
(a) Because he is in love with her.
(b) Because he has heard that she knew Mr. Rochester.
(c) Because he wants to hire her as a governess.
(d) Because he likes the portrait she made of Rosamond.
11. Jane comes across a little girl and asks her for what item that she is about to throw to the pigs?
12. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
(a) That she is foreign.
(b) That she is illiterate.
(c) That she is French.
(d) That she is not uneducated.
13. As Jane prays for guidance about whether she should go with St. John, what does the voice she hears say?
(a) "Have faith!"
(b) "My love!"
(c) "Help! Help! Help!"
(d) "Jane! Jane! Jane!"
14. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
(a) Thirteen and three.
(b) Three and five.
(c) Three and three.
(d) Three and none.
15. What is the first sentence of the final chapter of "Jane Eyre?"
(a) Reader, we eloped.
(b) Reader, I married him.
(c) Reader, we married.
(d) Reader, I eloped with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year is it when Jane closes Morton school?
2. How does Jane respond to St. John's inquiry the night before he is to go to India about why she refuses to marry him?
3. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having asked God if he would find bliss and peace once more?
4. What kind of face does Jane tell Mr. Rochester the person in the closet had when she looked in the mirror?
5. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)