|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mr. Rochester living following the fire at Thornfield?
2. How does St. John answer Miss Oliver's inquiries about coming to visit?
(a) Like an automaton.
(b) Like a friend.
(c) Like a passionate lover.
(d) Like a little boy.
3. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
4. When Jane visits Adele at school, what is her assessment of the place?
(a) That it is too strict.
(b) That it is too lenient.
(c) That it is too small.
(d) That it is too large.
5. What skill does Jane possess that surprises and charms Diana and Mary?
6. In talking about Jane's features, St. John remarks that "ill or well, she would always be _________."
7. According to Mr. Rochester, he tells Jane that it has been ten years since he has flown from Europe with what three things as his companion?
(a) Happiness, peace, and relief.
(b) Gratitude, forgiveness, and faith.
(c) Sorrow, blame, and despair.
(d) Disgust, hate, and rage.
8. Jane give money to whom the morning after Mr. Rochester's proposal?
(a) A beggar woman and child.
(b) Two school girls.
(c) An old man.
(d) A priest.
9. When Mr. Rochester asks Jane if she will ever forgive him, what does she tell the reader?
(a) That she must pray for forgiveness.
(b) That she will soon forgive him.
(c) That she would never forgive him.
(d) That she forgave him on the spot.
10. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
(a) She hates him.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) She loves him.
(d) She envies him.
11. Why does St. John want Jane to accompany him to India as his wife?
(a) Because he disapproves of her love for Mr. Rochester.
(b) Because he disapproves of a single woman's accompanying a single man.
(c) Because he has vowed to love and honor her.
(d) Because he has vowed revenge against Rosamond.
12. Who is the missing girl in the advertisements about which St. John informs Jane?
13. According to Jane, what is one reason the intimacy she shares with Diana and Mary does not extend to St. John?
(a) Because he is seldom understood.
(b) Because he is seldom kind.
(c) Because he is seldom at home.
(d) Because he is seldom generous.
14. Why does Mr. Oliver invite her to spend the evening at Vale Hall?
(a) Because he is in love with her.
(b) Because he likes the portrait she made of Rosamond.
(c) Because he wants to hire her as a governess.
(d) Because he has heard that she knew Mr. Rochester.
15. What does Mr. Rochester's former butler tell Jane happened to Bertha Mason during the fire?
(a) She jumped to her death.
(b) She shot herself.
(c) She hung herself.
(d) She poisoned herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of year is it when Jane closes Morton school?
2. The record of marriage the person reads to stop the wedding is from how many years back?
3. How long has Jane been married to Mr. Rochester at the end of the novel?
4. After Jane refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress and leaves Thornfield, where does the coachman drop her when she runs out of money?
5. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)