|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Oliver invite her to spend the evening at Vale Hall?
(a) Because he has heard that she knew Mr. Rochester.
(b) Because he likes the portrait she made of Rosamond.
(c) Because he wants to hire her as a governess.
(d) Because he is in love with her.
2. What is St. John's occupation?
(a) He is a parson.
(b) He is a teacher.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a cobbler.
3. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
(a) That she is foreign.
(b) That she is French.
(c) That she is illiterate.
(d) That she is not uneducated.
4. What is the name of St. John's Pointer?
5. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
6. Why is St. John called away the night of Diana's and Mary's return to Moor House?
(a) To see after a widow.
(b) To see after a dying child.
(c) To see after a dying mother.
(d) To see after an ill father.
7. When Mr. Rochester asks Jane if she will ever forgive him, what does she tell the reader?
(a) That she would never forgive him.
(b) That she must pray for forgiveness.
(c) That she forgave him on the spot.
(d) That she will soon forgive him.
8. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
(a) A school for poor girls and boys.
(b) A school for poor girls.
(c) A school for wealthy girls.
(d) A school for wealthy girls and boys.
9. The record of marriage the person reads to stop the wedding is from how many years back?
10. According to Mr. Rochester, he tells Jane that it has been ten years since he has flown from Europe with what three things as his companion?
(a) Gratitude, forgiveness, and faith.
(b) Happiness, peace, and relief.
(c) Disgust, hate, and rage.
(d) Sorrow, blame, and despair.
11. How does Jane respond to St. John's inquiry the night before he is to go to India about why she refuses to marry him?
(a) That he would love her if she were to marry him.
(b) That he would kill her if she were to marry him.
(c) That he would leave her if she were to marry him.
(d) That he would mourn her if she were to marry him.
12. What time of year is it when Jane closes Morton school?
13. In talking about Jane's features, St. John remarks that "ill or well, she would always be _________."
14. When Jane gives St. John a tour of Moor House prior to Diana's and Mary's arrival, what does he do that displeases her?
(a) Reads a book.
(b) Takes a walk.
(c) Irons the shirts.
(d) Cleans the kitchen.
15. When St. John asks where Jane last resided, how does Jane respond?
(a) That she is from Gateshead.
(b) That it is her secret.
(c) That it is not relevant.
(d) That she had resided with Mr. Rochester.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Jane worth after the death of her uncle?
2. Why does Jane think, on the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, that "friends always forget those whom fortune forsakes"?
3. How does Jane feel about being a village schoolmistress?
4. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
5. Jane comes across a little girl and asks her for what item that she is about to throw to the pigs?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)