|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Mr. Rochester discovers the truth about Bertha's insanity in the West Indies, what does he tell Jane he momentarily thought he should do?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Kill her and himself.
(c) Kill his father.
(d) Kill himself.
2. According to Jane, how does Rosamond Oliver feel about St. John?
(a) She loves him.
(b) She dislikes him.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She envies him.
3. When St. John asks Jane to accompany him to India, to what condition she does not want to agree?
(a) To be his wife.
(b) To be his pupil.
(c) To be his mistress.
(d) To be his teacher.
4. Once Jane is well enough and dresses, what does Hannah ask her about which she is at first indignant?
(a) If Jane would clean the house.
(b) If Jane has gone begging before.
(c) If Jane has been in prison.
(d) If Jane would help with the cooking.
5. Why does St. John want Jane to accompany him to India as his wife?
(a) Because he has vowed to love and honor her.
(b) Because he disapproves of her love for Mr. Rochester.
(c) Because he has vowed revenge against Rosamond.
(d) Because he disapproves of a single woman's accompanying a single man.
6. Who steps forward at the church as a witness that causes Mr. Rochester to convulse in fury or despair at the sight?
(a) Mr. Mason.
(b) Blanche Ingram.
(c) Bertha Mason.
(d) Mr. Green.
7. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
(a) That Grace Poole caused it.
(b) That Adele Varens caused it.
(c) That Mr. Rochester caused it.
(d) That Bertha Mason caused it.
8. St. John wants Jane to be the mistress of what kind of school?
(a) A school for wealthy girls and boys.
(b) A school for wealthy girls.
(c) A school for poor girls and boys.
(d) A school for poor girls.
9. Why is St. John called away the night of Diana's and Mary's return to Moor House?
(a) To see after a dying mother.
(b) To see after a widow.
(c) To see after an ill father.
(d) To see after a dying child.
10. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
(a) That she is French.
(b) That she is illiterate.
(c) That she is foreign.
(d) That she is not uneducated.
11. When Jane visits Adele at school, what is her assessment of the place?
(a) That it is too large.
(b) That it is too strict.
(c) That it is too small.
(d) That it is too lenient.
12. According to Jane, the more she knows of the residents at Moor house, the better she what?
(a) Understands them.
(b) Dislikes them.
(c) Misunderstands them.
(d) Likes them.
13. As Jane prays for guidance about whether she should go with St. John, what does the voice she hears say?
(a) "Help! Help! Help!"
(b) "My love!"
(c) "Jane! Jane! Jane!"
(d) "Have faith!"
14. What is the first sentence of the final chapter of "Jane Eyre?"
(a) Reader, we married.
(b) Reader, I eloped with him.
(c) Reader, I married him.
(d) Reader, we eloped.
15. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(b) She is ill with thyphus.
(c) She is a runaway from another island.
(d) She is the mistress of his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Jane worth after the death of her uncle?
2. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
3. When Jane first lays her eyes on the injured Mr. Rochester, she compares him to what kind of animal?
4. After hearing the voice and breaking away from St. John, Jane states that it was "_____time to assume ascendency."
5. When Jane recalls her dreams to Mr. Rochester about Thornfield's being in a dreary ruin, what does she tell him she is carrying in a shawl?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)