|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
2. Who steps forward at the church as a witness that causes Mr. Rochester to convulse in fury or despair at the sight?
(a) Mr. Mason.
(b) Blanche Ingram.
(c) Bertha Mason.
(d) Mr. Green.
3. How do Jane's village neighbors treat her?
4. When Jane recalls her dreams to Mr. Rochester about Thornfield's being in a dreary ruin, what does she tell him she is carrying in a shawl?
(a) A bible.
(b) A lamb.
(c) A rose.
(d) A child.
5. How much is Jane worth after the death of her uncle?
(a) Five-thousand pounds.
(b) Ten-thousand pounds.
(c) Twenty-thousand pounds.
(d) One-thousand pounds.
6. On the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, what does Jane think she should do?
(a) Leave Thornfield.
(b) Become a mistress.
(c) Enter a nunnery.
(d) Marry Mr. Rochester.
7. What two things does Jane claim she will be when Mr. Rochester states how he will dress her up in satin and lace?
(a) An ape in a harlequin's jacket; an elephant in a gilded cage.
(b) A thirsty tiger in an oasis; a jay in borrowed plumes.
(c) An ape in a harlequin's jacket; a jay in borrowed plumes.
(d) A thirsty tiger in an oasis; an elephant in a gilded cage.
8. What is the name of St. John's Pointer?
9. Jane states that, with Mary and Diana, there is a _________congeniality of tastes, sentiments, and principles.
(a) Lack of.
10. The night before they are to be married, Jane tells Mr. Rochester that earlier that morning she had seen whom in her closet where her wedding gown and veil are hung?
(a) Grace Poole.
(b) Mrs. Fairfax.
(c) A strange woman.
(d) Eliza Reed.
11. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
(a) That Grace Poole caused it.
(b) That Bertha Mason caused it.
(c) That Mr. Rochester caused it.
(d) That Adele Varens caused it.
12. How does Jane respond to St. John's inquiry the night before he is to go to India about why she refuses to marry him?
(a) That he would leave her if she were to marry him.
(b) That he would mourn her if she were to marry him.
(c) That he would kill her if she were to marry him.
(d) That he would love her if she were to marry him.
13. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
14. Why is St. John called away the night of Diana's and Mary's return to Moor House?
(a) To see after a dying child.
(b) To see after a widow.
(c) To see after an ill father.
(d) To see after a dying mother.
15. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertha do when Mr. Rochester brings the party from the church to her room?
2. Once Jane is well enough and dresses, what does Hannah ask her about which she is at first indignant?
3. Mr. Rochester peppers Jane with questions about whom once she returns to him from Moor House?
4. As Jane prays for guidance about whether she should go with St. John, what does the voice she hears say?
5. Upon reaching Thornfield, Jane states that "I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house: I saw a ________ _______."
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)