|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After revealing her identity to Mr. Rochester, what does she tell him about her circumstances since leaving Thornfield?
(a) That she is an independent woman.
(b) That she is a dependent woman.
(c) That she is a suffering woman.
(d) That she is a healthy woman.
2. How does St. John answer Miss Oliver's inquiries about coming to visit?
(a) Like a passionate lover.
(b) Like a little boy.
(c) Like an automaton.
(d) Like a friend.
3. How does Jane first meet Mr. Rochester after the fire?
(a) She brings a tray in for him.
(b) She rides beside him.
(c) She meets him in the orchard.
(d) She leaves her notecard for him.
4. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about having asked God if he would find bliss and peace once more?
(a) That he called out her name.
(b) That he heard her call his name.
(c) That he heard God's voice.
(d) That he heard Jane's voice.
5. When Jane visits Adele at school, what is her assessment of the place?
(a) That it is too large.
(b) That it is too strict.
(c) That it is too lenient.
(d) That it is too small.
6. When Jane greets Mr. Rochester the morning after his proposal, he calls her a pale, little what?
7. On the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, what does Jane think she should do?
(a) Enter a nunnery.
(b) Marry Mr. Rochester.
(c) Become a mistress.
(d) Leave Thornfield.
8. What is St. John's occupation?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a cobbler.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a parson.
9. In Moor house, whom does Jane regard as the superior and leader?
10. Whom does Jane meet in her dreams during the time when she is a schoolmistress?
(a) Mr. Rochester.
(b) Mrs. Reed.
(c) Helen Burns.
(d) Mr. St. John.
11. What is the first sentence of the final chapter of "Jane Eyre?"
(a) Reader, we married.
(b) Reader, I eloped with him.
(c) Reader, we eloped.
(d) Reader, I married him.
12. After Jane refuses to become Mr. Rochester's mistress and leaves Thornfield, where does the coachman drop her when she runs out of money?
13. What feeling comes over Jane when St. John rests his hand on her head one last time so that she is tempted to give in to his proposal?
14. Mr. Rochester peppers Jane with questions about whom once she returns to him from Moor House?
(a) Rosemond Oliver.
(b) St. John.
(c) Mr. Oliver.
(d) Diana Rivers.
15. How much is Jane worth after the death of her uncle?
(a) Ten-thousand pounds.
(b) Five-thousand pounds.
(c) One-thousand pounds.
(d) Twenty-thousand pounds.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month does Jane depart from Moor House to return to Thornfield?
2. How does Jane feel about being a village schoolmistress?
3. What does Mr. Rochester say in the church that he meant to be, but fate has out-maneuvered him?
4. After hearing the voice and breaking away from St. John, Jane states that it was "_____time to assume ascendency."
5. What observation does Jane overhear Mary and Diana make about her accent and dress that is true?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)