|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
2. At the beginning of the marriage ceremony, what impediment does the stranger give to stop Jane's and Mr. Rochester's wedding?
(a) That Jane has a husband now dead.
(b) That Jane has a husband now living.
(c) That Mr. Rochester has a wife now living.
(d) That Mr. Rochester has a wife now dead.
3. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
(a) Because his father has business there.
(b) Because his brother is buried there.
(c) Because he has arranged to be married.
(d) Because he is in trouble with the law.
4. How does Jane feel about married life?
(a) She is regretful.
(b) She is wistful.
(c) She is happy.
(d) She is unhappy.
5. What is the name of the book Jane reads that begins, "Day set on Norham's castled steep, And Tweed's fair river broad and deep"?
6. When Jane speaks to Mr. Rochester's former butler at the inn, what does he tell her about who started the fire?
(a) That Grace Poole caused it.
(b) That Mr. Rochester caused it.
(c) That Adele Varens caused it.
(d) That Bertha Mason caused it.
7. The elderly woman and two ladies Jane sees through the latticed window are speaking what language?
8. Mr. Rochester peppers Jane with questions about whom once she returns to him from Moor House?
(a) St. John.
(b) Rosemond Oliver.
(c) Diana Rivers.
(d) Mr. Oliver.
9. What does Mr. Rochester say in the church that he meant to be, but fate has out-maneuvered him?
(a) A husband.
(b) A father.
(c) A thief.
(d) A bigamist.
10. What feeling does Jane observe St. John has for Rosamond Oliver?
11. Once Jane is well enough and dresses, what does Hannah ask her about which she is at first indignant?
(a) If Jane would help with the cooking.
(b) If Jane has been in prison.
(c) If Jane would clean the house.
(d) If Jane has gone begging before.
12. Who steps forward at the church as a witness that causes Mr. Rochester to convulse in fury or despair at the sight?
(a) Blanche Ingram.
(b) Mr. Green.
(c) Mr. Mason.
(d) Bertha Mason.
13. The night before they are to be married, Jane tells Mr. Rochester that earlier that morning she had seen whom in her closet where her wedding gown and veil are hung?
(a) Eliza Reed.
(b) Mrs. Fairfax.
(c) A strange woman.
(d) Grace Poole.
14. As Jane begs the woman called Hannah for food and shelter, who arrives to let her inside?
(a) Mr. Reed.
(b) Rosamond Oliver.
(c) Mr. Mason.
(d) St. John.
15. Why does Jane think, on the afternoon following the discovery of Bertha Mason, that "friends always forget those whom fortune forsakes"?
(a) Because everyone has left.
(b) Because no one loves her.
(c) Because she is cast out.
(d) Because no one checks on her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does St. John respond to Jane's letter announcing her marriage to Mr. Rochester?
2. When Jane asks why Mr. Rochester had wanted Jane to believe that he was going to marry Blanche Ingram, what does he say?
3. Who is the missing girl in the advertisements about which St. John informs Jane?
4. What kind of face does Jane tell Mr. Rochester the person in the closet had when she looked in the mirror?
5. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)