|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does St. John want Jane to accompany him to India as his wife?
(a) Because he has vowed revenge against Rosamond.
(b) Because he disapproves of her love for Mr. Rochester.
(c) Because he has vowed to love and honor her.
(d) Because he disapproves of a single woman's accompanying a single man.
2. Mr. Rochester's former butler tells Jane that Grace Poole possessed what fault?
(a) She drank.
(b) She lied.
(c) She smoked.
(d) She stole.
3. According to Mr. Rochester's former butler, what are Mr. Rochester's injuries?
(a) He has become deaf and blind.
(b) He has become blind and a cripple.
(c) He has become deaf.
(d) He has become a cripple.
4. What feeling does Jane observe St. John has for Rosamond Oliver?
5. When Jane gives St. John a tour of Moor House prior to Diana's and Mary's arrival, what does he do that displeases her?
(a) Cleans the kitchen.
(b) Reads a book.
(c) Irons the shirts.
(d) Takes a walk.
6. What is the name of the person who interrupts the wedding between Jane and Mr. Rochester?
7. How much is Jane worth after the death of her uncle?
(a) Twenty-thousand pounds.
(b) One-thousand pounds.
(c) Five-thousand pounds.
(d) Ten-thousand pounds.
8. How does Jane feel about being a village schoolmistress?
9. How does St. John answer Miss Oliver's inquiries about coming to visit?
(a) Like a passionate lover.
(b) Like a little boy.
(c) Like a friend.
(d) Like an automaton.
10. In talking about Jane's features, St. John remarks that "ill or well, she would always be _________."
11. When Jane greets Mr. Rochester the morning after his proposal, he calls her a pale, little what?
12. Once Jane is well enough and dresses, what does Hannah ask her about which she is at first indignant?
(a) If Jane would clean the house.
(b) If Jane would help with the cooking.
(c) If Jane has been in prison.
(d) If Jane has gone begging before.
13. Upon reaching Thornfield, Jane states that "I looked with timorous joy towards a stately house: I saw a ________ _______."
(a) Blackened ruin.
(b) Humble replacement.
(c) Unfamiliar mansion.
(d) Tattered wreck.
14. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is ill with thyphus.
(b) She is the mistress of his father.
(c) She is a runaway from another island.
(d) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
15. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
(a) Calm, no. But happy.
(b) Calm, yes. And happy.
(c) Calm, no. And unhappy.
(d) Calm, yes. But unhappy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Rochester, he tells Jane that it has been ten years since he has flown from Europe with what three things as his companion?
2. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
3. When St. John asks Jane to accompany him to India, to what condition she does not want to agree?
4. Mr. Rochester tells Jane that he has written to his banker to send him what item that has been in his safe-keeping?
5. As Jane begs the woman called Hannah for food and shelter, who arrives to let her inside?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)