|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Cold gruel.
(b) Grainy soup.
(c) Burned porridge.
(d) Rancid meat.
2. According to Jane, as she observes Mr. Rochester's talking with Louisa and Amy Eshton, she thinks that she understands the language of his countenance, though _____ and ________sever them.
(a) Taste; feeling.
(b) Rank; taste.
(c) Feeling; wealth.
(d) Rank; wealth.
3. Of what game is Jane ignorant that the party proposes to play?
4. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(b) Helen Burns.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) Miss Miller.
5. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
(b) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
(c) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(d) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
6. When Mr. Rochester greets Jane upon her return from Thornfield and asks if she can make him handsome, she tells him that _______has power beyond beauty.
7. As Mr. Rochester and Jane discuss the prospect of her going to Ireland, what does Jane begin to do when she hears a nightingale?
8. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
(a) Mrs. Fairfax.
(b) Mr. Eshton.
(c) Mr. Rochester.
9. Regarding the prospect of leaving, Jane tells Mr. Rochester, "I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of ______".
10. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
(a) Miss Miller.
(b) Miss Smith.
(c) Miss Scatcherd.
(d) Miss Temple.
11. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
(b) John and Miss Abbot.
(c) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(d) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
12. To whom is Jane referring when she thinks, "I will put her to some test, such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension"?
(a) Mrs. Fairfax.
(d) Grace Poole.
13. Mr. Rochester compares Jane to what as she tries to free from his embrace?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A cat.
(c) A bird.
(d) A tiger.
14. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
(b) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(c) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
(d) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
15. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
(a) A diamond watch.
(b) A gold cross.
(c) A pearl brooch.
(d) A silver bracelet.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
2. After Mrs. Reed's funeral, where does Eliza tell Jane she is taking up residence?
3. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
4. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to fetch for Mr. Mason from the drawer in his room?
5. What language does Adele speak fluently?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)