|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, how has John Reed died?
2. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
(b) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
(c) Because Adele is ill.
(d) Because it is on fire.
3. Who is the newcomer who arrives from England whom the ladies call a "beautiful man"?
(a) Mr. Mason.
(b) Mr. Fairfax.
(c) Mr. Eshton.
(d) Mr. Lynn.
4. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
5. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(a) Mrs. Eshton.
(b) Blanche Ingram.
(d) Mary Ingram.
6. What is the gypsy doing when Jane enters the library?
(a) Drinking and rocking.
(b) Reading and muttering.
(c) Eating and muttering.
(d) Reading and drinking.
7. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
(d) Small pox.
8. Why does Mrs. Reed forbid Jane from joining her, Eliza, John, and Georgiana in the drawing-room?
(a) Because she feels Jane does not have a sociable and childlike disposition.
(b) Because her children have complained that Jane is getting all the attention.
(c) Because she feels Jane has too much of a sociable and childlike disposition.
(d) Because she feels Jane is contagious and does not want her children to get sick.
9. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(a) Mrs. Dent.
(d) Colonel Dent.
10. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about Adele's mother?
(a) That she has betrayed him.
(b) That she has married someone else.
(c) That she jas married him.
(d) That he has left her for another woman.
11. Whom does Jane see riding along with Mr. Rochester on the night of the party's arrival, as well as the next morning?
(b) Mrs. Eshton.
(c) Blanche Ingram.
(d) Grace Poole.
12. When she returns to Gateshead from Thornfield, Jane tells Mr. Rochester that "wherever you are is my _________"?
13. What does Mr. Brocklehurst accuse Jane of being after making her sit on a stool in front of the class?
(a) A thief.
(b) A bully.
(c) A liar.
(d) An atheist.
14. What is the name of the surgeon with whom Mr. Rochester returns?
15. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
(b) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(c) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(d) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Rochester suggests Jane get a position in Ireland to educate the five daughters of Mrs. Dionysius O'Gall, Jane proclaims that the sea is a barrier to what?
2. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
3. After Jane tells Mr. Rochester that Mr. Mason has arrived, what does he exclaim?
4. Of what game is Jane ignorant that the party proposes to play?
5. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)