|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Jane referring when she thinks, "I will put her to some test, such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension"?
(a) Mrs. Fairfax.
(b) Grace Poole.
2. When Jane first arrives at Thornfield, how does Mrs. Fairfax treat her that surprises her?
(a) She treats her like a visitor.
(b) She treats her like a servant.
(c) She treats her like a stranger.
(d) She treats her like a pupil.
3. What does Mr. Mason tell the surgeon about his shoulder?
(a) That someone has bit him.
(b) That someone has stabbed him.
(c) That someone hafs pushed him.
(d) That someone has shot him.
4. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(b) Mary Ingram.
(c) Mrs. Eshton.
(d) Blanche Ingram.
5. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
(a) Regnat populace.
(c) Religious loci.
6. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
7. After Mrs. Reed's funeral, where does Eliza tell Jane she is taking up residence?
(a) A Spanish hospital.
(b) A French convent.
(c) An English estate.
(d) An Italian school.
8. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(b) Small pox.
9. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
10. Whom does Blanche treat with coldness and acrimony?
(b) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Mrs. Eshton.
11. When Jane addresses the reader on her way to Thornfield for the first time, she states that "though I look ______accommodated, I am not very________in my mind."
(a) Luxuriously; pleasing.
(b) Uncomfortably; troubled.
(c) Comfortably; tranquil.
(d) Comfortably; troubled.
12. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
13. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
(a) Miss Smith.
(b) Miss Miller.
(c) Miss Temple.
(d) Miss Scatcherd.
14. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(a) Mrs. Dent.
(c) Colonel Dent.
15. What is the gypsy doing when Jane enters the library?
(a) Reading and muttering.
(b) Drinking and rocking.
(c) Reading and drinking.
(d) Eating and muttering.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester forbid Mr. Mason and Jane to do before he departs?
2. Who arrives at Lowood to see Jane and is mistaken for the carrier by her?
3. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about Adele's mother?
4. Why is Jane surprised to learn that Mr. Rochester is the proprietor of Thornfield?
5. What is the name of the surgeon with whom Mr. Rochester returns?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)