|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Mrs. Lloyd.
(b) Helen Burns.
(c) Miss Miller.
(d) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
2. Regarding the prospect of leaving, Jane tells Mr. Rochester, "I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of ______".
3. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
4. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
(a) Her books.
(b) Her portfolio.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her sculpture.
5. Whom does Blanche treat with coldness and acrimony?
(a) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Mrs. Eshton.
6. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
(a) She scolds her.
(b) She kisses her.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She slaps her.
7. According to Mr. Rochester, Jane is ______, quiet, _______, and simple.
(a) Quaint; grave.
(b) Worldly; grave.
(c) Worldly; cheerful.
(d) Quaint; cheerful.
8. According to Jane, why is Blanche "too inferior" to excite jealousy?
(a) Because she is unattractive and poor.
(b) Because she is too intelligent and kind.
(c) Because she is too pretty and worldly.
(d) Because she is not good or original.
9. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to fetch for Mr. Mason from the drawer in his room?
(a) A knife and towel.
(b) A pipe and matches.
(c) A phial and glass.
(d) A pillow and blanket.
10. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(d) Small pox.
11. After Jane tells Mr. Rochester that Mr. Mason has arrived, what does he exclaim?
(a) "Mason - the West Indies!"
(b) "Mason - we must go!"
(c) "Mason - go fetch him!"
(d) "Mason - in England!"
12. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
13. According to Jane, women are supposed to be generally calm, but they feel what?
(a) Just as children feel.
(b) Just as they want to feel.
(c) Just as men feel.
(d) Just as they are supposed to feel.
14. What does the gypsy tell Jane about Blanche's motive for marrying Mr. Rochester?
(a) That she is marrying him for his estate.
(b) That she is in love with him.
(c) That she wants revenge on someone else.
(d) That she does not have long to live.
15. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to see that will suit Mrs. Rochester exactly?
(a) A ring.
(b) A wedding gown.
(c) A bed.
(d) A carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
2. According to Jane, as she observes Mr. Rochester's talking with Louisa and Amy Eshton, she thinks that she understands the language of his countenance, though _____ and ________sever them.
3. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
4. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
5. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)