|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
(a) She scolds her.
(b) She slaps her.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She kisses her.
2. According to Jane, Bessie once said that to dream of what was a sure sign of trouble?
3. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
(a) Because Georgiana has sent for her.
(b) Because Mrs. Reed has sent for her.
(c) Because Eliza has sent for her.
(d) Because Bessie has sent for her.
4. Why is Jane taken and locked in the red-room?
(a) Because she pulls Georgiana's hair.
(b) Because she defends herself against Bessie.
(c) Because she tells on Eliza.
(d) Because she defends herself against John.
5. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
(a) Because Mrs. Reed has employed an apothecary to care for Jane and the servants.
(b) Because Mr. Lloyd is studying to become a physician.
(c) Because the nearest physician lives in Bath.
(d) Because the physician Mrs. Reed has employed is out of town.
6. After Mrs. Reed's funeral, where does Eliza tell Jane she is taking up residence?
(a) A Spanish hospital.
(b) An English estate.
(c) An Italian school.
(d) A French convent.
7. Who is speaking when she states, "You, a favourite with Mr. Rochester...Go! your folly sickens me"?
(a) Blanche Ingram.
(d) Mrs. Fairfaix.
8. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
(a) He has fallen off his chair.
(b) He has fallen down the staircase.
(c) He has fallen with his horse.
(d) He has fallen out of his coach.
9. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to do as they listen to the nightingale?
(a) Bed him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Leave him.
(d) Forgive him.
10. Why does Mrs. Reed forbid Jane from joining her, Eliza, John, and Georgiana in the drawing-room?
(a) Because she feels Jane does not have a sociable and childlike disposition.
(b) Because she feels Jane is contagious and does not want her children to get sick.
(c) Because her children have complained that Jane is getting all the attention.
(d) Because she feels Jane has too much of a sociable and childlike disposition.
11. Who is the newcomer who arrives from England whom the ladies call a "beautiful man"?
(a) Mr. Mason.
(b) Mr. Lynn.
(c) Mr. Eshton.
(d) Mr. Fairfax.
12. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
(b) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
(c) Because Adele is ill.
(d) Because it is on fire.
13. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
14. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) John and Miss Abbot.
(b) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(c) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
(d) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
15. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Envied; approved; enemies.
(b) Hated; approved; friends.
(c) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(d) Hated; disapproved; friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Adele speak fluently?
2. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
3. What is the name of the surgeon with whom Mr. Rochester returns?
4. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
5. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)