|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hope does Jane cherish that she has "no right to conceive"?
(a) That she will be allowed to take leave of Thornfield.
(b) That her position as governess will continue.
(c) That Mr. Rochester's marriage to Blanche Ingram is off.
(d) That she has inherited money from a relative.
2. As Mr. Rochester and Jane discuss the prospect of her going to Ireland, what does Jane begin to do when she hears a nightingale?
3. When Mr. Rochester suggests Jane get a position in Ireland to educate the five daughters of Mrs. Dionysius O'Gall, Jane proclaims that the sea is a barrier to what?
(a) To marriage.
(b) To Gateshead.
(c) To Mr. Rochester.
(d) To her family.
4. When Mr. Rochester gives Adele her gift, he tells Jane that he is not fond of what?
(a) The absence of adults.
(b) The moodiness of children.
(c) The prattle of children.
(d) The dishonesty of servants.
5. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
(a) She feels indifference and a lack of conviction that she will recover.
(b) She feels apprehension and a conviction of insecurity and transformation.
(c) She feels panic and a conviction of incompetence and ill-will.
(d) She feels relief and a conviction of protection and security.
6. According to Mr. Rochester, Jane is ______, quiet, _______, and simple.
(a) Worldly; cheerful.
(b) Quaint; grave.
(c) Worldly; grave.
(d) Quaint; cheerful.
7. Why does Mr. Rochester fetch Jane in the middle of the night to help Mr. Mason?
(a) Because he has thyphus.
(b) Because he has insomnia.
(c) Because he is feverish.
(d) Because he is injured.
8. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
(a) It is unclean.
(b) It is too long.
(c) It is cropped.
(d) It is too curly.
9. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
10. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
(a) Whether she thinks he is playful.
(b) Whether she thinks he is handsome.
(c) Whether she thinks he is serious.
(d) Whether she thinks he is youthful.
11. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to see that will suit Mrs. Rochester exactly?
(a) A wedding gown.
(b) A carriage.
(c) A bed.
(d) A ring.
12. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Miss Miller.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd.
(c) Helen Burns.
(d) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
13. According to Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, how has John Reed died?
14. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
(a) Her sculpture.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her books.
(d) Her portfolio.
15. What language does Adele speak fluently?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
2. Mr. Rochester compares Jane to what as she tries to free from his embrace?
3. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
4. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about Adele's mother?
5. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)