|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Adele's mother?
(a) A German singer.
(b) A Greek dress maker.
(c) An Italian actress.
(d) A French opera dancer.
2. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because it is on fire.
(b) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
(c) Because Adele is ill.
(d) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
3. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
4. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
(a) Mr. Eshton.
(b) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Mrs. Fairfax.
5. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
(a) Miss Temple.
(b) Miss Smith.
(c) Miss Scatcherd.
(d) Miss Miller.
6. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(a) Mary Ingram.
(b) Mrs. Eshton.
(c) Blanche Ingram.
7. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
(a) She feels relief and a conviction of protection and security.
(b) She feels panic and a conviction of incompetence and ill-will.
(c) She feels apprehension and a conviction of insecurity and transformation.
(d) She feels indifference and a lack of conviction that she will recover.
8. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
(b) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
(c) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(d) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
9. As Jane watches the group perform, she states to the reader that she could not _____Mr. Rochester merely because he has ceased to notice her.
10. Mr. Rochester compares Jane to what as she tries to free from his embrace?
(a) A cat.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A bird.
11. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
12. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
13. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
(a) A gold cross.
(b) A pearl brooch.
(c) A silver bracelet.
(d) A diamond watch.
14. While on her deathbed, what does Mrs. Reed ask Jane to fetch from her dressing-case?
(a) A package from Jane's mother, Jane Eyre.
(b) A pamphlet from Jane's cousin, Eliza Reed.
(c) A letter from Jane's uncle, John Eyre.
(d) A will from Mrs. Reed's husband, John Reed.
15. Jane warns the gypsy of what when she asks if Jane would like her fortune told?
(a) She has no money.
(b) She has no memory.
(c) She has no food.
(d) She has no faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
2. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
3. How long does Jane stay at Gateshead before returning to Thornfield?
4. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to do as they listen to the nightingale?
5. After Mrs. Reed's funeral, where does Eliza tell Jane she is taking up residence?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)