|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who orders a lunch of bread and cheese after learning of the girls' inedible breakfast?
(a) Miss Scatcherd.
(b) Miss Temple.
(c) Miss Smith.
(d) Miss Miller.
2. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
(a) Whether she thinks he is youthful.
(b) Whether she thinks he is playful.
(c) Whether she thinks he is handsome.
(d) Whether she thinks he is serious.
3. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(b) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
(c) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
(d) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
4. To whom is Blanche referring when she tells Mr. Rochester that "half of them detestable, and the rest ridiculous"?
5. Who is Adele's mother?
(a) An Italian actress.
(b) A German singer.
(c) A Greek dress maker.
(d) A French opera dancer.
6. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
7. Jane warns the gypsy of what when she asks if Jane would like her fortune told?
(a) She has no faith.
(b) She has no food.
(c) She has no memory.
(d) She has no money.
8. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(b) Mrs. Dent.
(d) Colonel Dent.
9. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
(a) A pearl brooch.
(b) A diamond watch.
(c) A gold cross.
(d) A silver bracelet.
10. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(c) Small pox.
11. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
(a) He has fallen with his horse.
(b) He has fallen out of his coach.
(c) He has fallen off his chair.
(d) He has fallen down the staircase.
12. While on her deathbed, what does Mrs. Reed ask Jane to fetch from her dressing-case?
(a) A will from Mrs. Reed's husband, John Reed.
(b) A package from Jane's mother, Jane Eyre.
(c) A pamphlet from Jane's cousin, Eliza Reed.
(d) A letter from Jane's uncle, John Eyre.
13. According to Jane, as she observes Mr. Rochester's talking with Louisa and Amy Eshton, she thinks that she understands the language of his countenance, though _____ and ________sever them.
(a) Feeling; wealth.
(b) Rank; wealth.
(c) Taste; feeling.
(d) Rank; taste.
14. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
(a) She feels apprehension and a conviction of insecurity and transformation.
(b) She feels indifference and a lack of conviction that she will recover.
(c) She feels relief and a conviction of protection and security.
(d) She feels panic and a conviction of incompetence and ill-will.
15. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
2. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
3. Regarding the prospect of leaving, Jane tells Mr. Rochester, "I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of ______".
4. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
5. Who is speaking when she states, "You, a favourite with Mr. Rochester...Go! your folly sickens me"?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)