|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jane, Bessie once said that to dream of what was a sure sign of trouble?
2. According to Jane, what three things, when combined, make one mystery to which humanity has not yet found the key?
(a) Dreams, imaginings, and signs.
(b) Presentiments, sympathies, and signs.
(c) Imaginings, presentiments, and sympathies.
(d) Dreams, sympathies, and signs.
3. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(b) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
(c) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
(d) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
4. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
(a) Habits of obedience and servitude.
(b) Habits of pleasure and moderation.
(c) Habits of poverty and frugality.
(d) Habits of luxury and indulgence.
5. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about Adele's mother?
(a) That she jas married him.
(b) That she has betrayed him.
(c) That she has married someone else.
(d) That he has left her for another woman.
6. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
(a) A gold cross.
(b) A silver bracelet.
(c) A pearl brooch.
(d) A diamond watch.
7. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
8. When Mr. Rochester is in Leah's, what "sickening sense" does Jane feel regarding his absence?
9. According to Jane, why is Blanche "too inferior" to excite jealousy?
(a) Because she is too intelligent and kind.
(b) Because she is too pretty and worldly.
(c) Because she is not good or original.
(d) Because she is unattractive and poor.
10. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
11. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
(a) Because Georgiana has sent for her.
(b) Because Eliza has sent for her.
(c) Because Mrs. Reed has sent for her.
(d) Because Bessie has sent for her.
12. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
(a) Marrying a rich beau.
(b) Exploring the world.
(c) Attending school.
(d) Moving to America.
13. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
14. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
(a) Her books.
(b) Her sculpture.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her portfolio.
15. According to Jane, she tells Mr. Rochester a wanderer's repose and sinner's reformation do NOT depend on what?
(b) The queen.
(c) A fellow creature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Brocklehurst accuse Jane of being after making her sit on a stool in front of the class?
2. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
3. What does Mr. Rochester forbid Mr. Mason and Jane to do before he departs?
4. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
5. What language does Adele speak fluently?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)