|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
2. What is the subject of Leah's and the charwoman's conversation that Jane overhears, and is dropped once they perceive her?
(a) Blanche Ingram.
(b) Mr. Rochester.
(d) Grace Poole.
3. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
4. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
(b) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(c) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
(d) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
5. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
(a) Hot and muggy.
(b) Warm and sunny.
(c) Temperate and mild.
(d) Cold and rainy.
6. When Mr. Rochester gives Adele her gift, he tells Jane that he is not fond of what?
(a) The prattle of children.
(b) The dishonesty of servants.
(c) The moodiness of children.
(d) The absence of adults.
7. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to fetch for Mr. Mason from the drawer in his room?
(a) A phial and glass.
(b) A pillow and blanket.
(c) A knife and towel.
(d) A pipe and matches.
8. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
(b) Because it is on fire.
(c) Because Adele is ill.
(d) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
9. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(b) Blanche Ingram.
(c) Mrs. Eshton.
(d) Mary Ingram.
10. Of what game is Jane ignorant that the party proposes to play?
11. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
(b) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
(c) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(d) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
12. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(a) Colonel Dent.
(b) Mrs. Dent.
13. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
(b) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(c) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(d) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
14. What does Adele tell Jane about the big horse-chestnut at the bottom of the orchard?
(a) That lightning has split it in two.
(b) That someone has cut it down.
(c) That someone has carved its trunk.
(d) That a fire has burned it down.
15. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to see that will suit Mrs. Rochester exactly?
2. When Mr. Rochester suggests Jane get a position in Ireland to educate the five daughters of Mrs. Dionysius O'Gall, Jane proclaims that the sea is a barrier to what?
3. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
4. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
5. What language does Adele speak fluently?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)