|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
2. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
(a) She scolds her.
(b) She slaps her.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She kisses her.
3. According to Mr. Rochester, Jane is ______, quiet, _______, and simple.
(a) Worldly; cheerful.
(b) Quaint; grave.
(c) Worldly; grave.
(d) Quaint; cheerful.
4. When Mr. Rochester is in Leah's, what "sickening sense" does Jane feel regarding his absence?
5. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
(c) Regnat populace.
(d) Religious loci.
6. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
7. Why is Jane surprised to learn that Mr. Rochester is the proprietor of Thornfield?
(a) Because she thinks Thornfield belongs to Adele.
(b) Because she thinks Mrs. Fairfax is the owner.
(c) Because she thinks Mr. Rochester is dead.
(d) Because she thinks there is no proprietor at Thornfield.
8. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(a) Mary Ingram.
(b) Mrs. Eshton.
(d) Blanche Ingram.
9. What is the gypsy doing when Jane enters the library?
(a) Drinking and rocking.
(b) Eating and muttering.
(c) Reading and drinking.
(d) Reading and muttering.
10. Who is speaking when she states, "You, a favourite with Mr. Rochester...Go! your folly sickens me"?
(a) Mrs. Fairfaix.
(b) Blanche Ingram.
11. To whom is Jane referring when she thinks, "I will put her to some test, such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension"?
(a) Mrs. Fairfax.
(c) Grace Poole.
12. What does Mr. Mason tell the surgeon about his shoulder?
(a) That someone hafs pushed him.
(b) That someone has stabbed him.
(c) That someone has bit him.
(d) That someone has shot him.
13. According to Jane, as she observes Mr. Rochester's talking with Louisa and Amy Eshton, she thinks that she understands the language of his countenance, though _____ and ________sever them.
(a) Rank; wealth.
(b) Feeling; wealth.
(c) Taste; feeling.
(d) Rank; taste.
14. According to Jane, women are supposed to be generally calm, but they feel what?
(a) Just as children feel.
(b) Just as they are supposed to feel.
(c) Just as men feel.
(d) Just as they want to feel.
15. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(a) Colonel Dent.
(c) Mrs. Dent.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
2. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
3. When Jane addresses the reader on her way to Thornfield for the first time, she states that "though I look ______accommodated, I am not very________in my mind."
4. When Mr. Rochester greets Jane upon her return from Thornfield and asks if she can make him handsome, she tells him that _______has power beyond beauty.
5. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)