|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jane, why is Blanche "too inferior" to excite jealousy?
(a) Because she is not good or original.
(b) Because she is unattractive and poor.
(c) Because she is too intelligent and kind.
(d) Because she is too pretty and worldly.
2. As Mr. Rochester and Jane discuss the prospect of her going to Ireland, what does Jane begin to do when she hears a nightingale?
3. As Jane watches the group perform, she states to the reader that she could not _____Mr. Rochester merely because he has ceased to notice her.
4. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
(a) Because Eliza has sent for her.
(b) Because Bessie has sent for her.
(c) Because Mrs. Reed has sent for her.
(d) Because Georgiana has sent for her.
5. Whom does Blanche treat with coldness and acrimony?
(a) Mrs. Eshton.
(d) Mr. Rochester.
6. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to see that will suit Mrs. Rochester exactly?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A bed.
(c) A wedding gown.
(d) A ring.
7. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
8. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
9. Why does Mr. Rochester fetch Jane in the middle of the night to help Mr. Mason?
(a) Because he is injured.
(b) Because he has thyphus.
(c) Because he has insomnia.
(d) Because he is feverish.
10. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(a) Blanche Ingram.
(c) Mrs. Eshton.
(d) Mary Ingram.
11. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
(a) A pearl brooch.
(b) A gold cross.
(c) A diamond watch.
(d) A silver bracelet.
12. According to Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, how has John Reed died?
13. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(b) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(c) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
(d) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
14. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
(a) He has fallen down the staircase.
(b) He has fallen out of his coach.
(c) He has fallen off his chair.
(d) He has fallen with his horse.
15. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(b) Colonel Dent.
(c) Mrs. Dent.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
2. Jane warns the gypsy of what when she asks if Jane would like her fortune told?
3. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
4. Who orders a lunch of bread and cheese after learning of the girls' inedible breakfast?
5. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)