|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Jane, Bessie once said that to dream of what was a sure sign of trouble?
2. When she returns to Gateshead from Thornfield, Jane tells Mr. Rochester that "wherever you are is my _________"?
3. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
(a) A pearl brooch.
(b) A gold cross.
(c) A silver bracelet.
(d) A diamond watch.
4. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
5. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
(b) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(c) John and Miss Abbot.
(d) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
6. What does Mr. Brocklehurst accuse Jane of being after making her sit on a stool in front of the class?
(a) An atheist.
(b) A thief.
(c) A bully.
(d) A liar.
7. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
(a) Miss Miller.
(b) Miss Smith.
(c) Miss Scatcherd.
(d) Miss Temple.
8. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
(a) Cold and rainy.
(b) Temperate and mild.
(c) Hot and muggy.
(d) Warm and sunny.
9. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Miss Miller.
(b) Helen Burns.
(c) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
10. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
11. When Jane first arrives at Thornfield, how does Mrs. Fairfax treat her that surprises her?
(a) She treats her like a servant.
(b) She treats her like a pupil.
(c) She treats her like a visitor.
(d) She treats her like a stranger.
12. Who is the newcomer who arrives from England whom the ladies call a "beautiful man"?
(a) Mr. Eshton.
(b) Mr. Lynn.
(c) Mr. Mason.
(d) Mr. Fairfax.
13. According to Jane, women are supposed to be generally calm, but they feel what?
(a) Just as children feel.
(b) Just as men feel.
(c) Just as they are supposed to feel.
(d) Just as they want to feel.
14. According to Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, how has John Reed died?
15. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to fetch for Mr. Mason from the drawer in his room?
2. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
3. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
4. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
5. Jane discovers the gypsy to be whom?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)