|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXXVII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(b) Envied; approved; enemies.
(c) Hated; approved; friends.
(d) Hated; disapproved; friends.
2. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
(b) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
(c) Because Adele is ill.
(d) Because it is on fire.
3. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
(b) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(c) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
(d) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
4. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
(a) Calm, yes. But unhappy.
(b) Calm, no. And unhappy.
(c) Calm, yes. And happy.
(d) Calm, no. But happy.
5. What two things does Jane claim she will be when Mr. Rochester states how he will dress her up in satin and lace?
(a) A thirsty tiger in an oasis; an elephant in a gilded cage.
(b) A thirsty tiger in an oasis; a jay in borrowed plumes.
(c) An ape in a harlequin's jacket; an elephant in a gilded cage.
(d) An ape in a harlequin's jacket; a jay in borrowed plumes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to fetch for Mr. Mason from the drawer in his room?
2. Jane comes across a little girl and asks her for what item that she is about to throw to the pigs?
3. During what month does Jane return to see Mrs. Reed at Gateshead?
4. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
5. What skill does Jane possess that surprises and charms Diana and Mary?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)