|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
(c) Religious loci.
(d) Regnat populace.
2. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Burned porridge.
(b) Cold gruel.
(c) Rancid meat.
(d) Grainy soup.
3. After Jane tells Mr. Rochester that Mr. Mason has arrived, what does he exclaim?
(a) "Mason - the West Indies!"
(b) "Mason - we must go!"
(c) "Mason - go fetch him!"
(d) "Mason - in England!"
4. Why does Mrs. Reed forbid Jane from joining her, Eliza, John, and Georgiana in the drawing-room?
(a) Because she feels Jane is contagious and does not want her children to get sick.
(b) Because she feels Jane does not have a sociable and childlike disposition.
(c) Because her children have complained that Jane is getting all the attention.
(d) Because she feels Jane has too much of a sociable and childlike disposition.
5. According to Jane, what three things, when combined, make one mystery to which humanity has not yet found the key?
(a) Imaginings, presentiments, and sympathies.
(b) Dreams, imaginings, and signs.
(c) Dreams, sympathies, and signs.
(d) Presentiments, sympathies, and signs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
2. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
3. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
4. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
5. What does Mr. Mason tell the surgeon about his shoulder?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)