|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
(b) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
(c) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(d) John and Miss Abbot.
2. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
3. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(b) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
(c) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(d) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
4. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(a) Mary Ingram.
(b) Blanche Ingram.
(c) Mrs. Eshton.
5. According to Jane, women are supposed to be generally calm, but they feel what?
(a) Just as men feel.
(b) Just as they want to feel.
(c) Just as they are supposed to feel.
(d) Just as children feel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
2. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
3. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
4. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
5. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)