|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Burned porridge.
(b) Grainy soup.
(c) Cold gruel.
(d) Rancid meat.
2. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
(b) Small pox.
3. Why does Mr. Rochester fetch Jane in the middle of the night to help Mr. Mason?
(a) Because he has insomnia.
(b) Because he has thyphus.
(c) Because he is feverish.
(d) Because he is injured.
4. Whom does Blanche treat with coldness and acrimony?
(b) Mr. Rochester.
(c) Mrs. Eshton.
5. Whom does Jane see riding along with Mr. Rochester on the night of the party's arrival, as well as the next morning?
(a) Grace Poole.
(b) Blanche Ingram.
(d) Mrs. Eshton.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jane tells Mr. Rochester that Mr. Mason has arrived, what does he exclaim?
2. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
3. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
4. Why does Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, come to Thornfield to see Jane?
5. As Jane watches the group perform, she states to the reader that she could not _____Mr. Rochester merely because he has ceased to notice her.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)