|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
(a) Warm and sunny.
(b) Hot and muggy.
(c) Temperate and mild.
(d) Cold and rainy.
2. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(b) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
(c) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
(d) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
3. According to Bessie's husband, Robert Leaven, how has John Reed died?
4. What does the gypsy tell Jane about Blanche's motive for marrying Mr. Rochester?
(a) That she wants revenge on someone else.
(b) That she does not have long to live.
(c) That she is marrying him for his estate.
(d) That she is in love with him.
5. According to Jane, why is Blanche "too inferior" to excite jealousy?
(a) Because she is unattractive and poor.
(b) Because she is too pretty and worldly.
(c) Because she is not good or original.
(d) Because she is too intelligent and kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
2. According to Jane, women are supposed to be generally calm, but they feel what?
3. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
4. According to Jane, she tells Mr. Rochester a wanderer's repose and sinner's reformation do NOT depend on what?
5. Jane is speaking to whom when she states, "I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)