|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Jane tells Mr. Rochester that Mr. Mason has arrived, what does he exclaim?
(a) "Mason - we must go!"
(b) "Mason - in England!"
(c) "Mason - go fetch him!"
(d) "Mason - the West Indies!"
2. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
(a) She kisses her.
(b) She scolds her.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She slaps her.
3. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
(a) Colonel Dent.
(d) Mrs. Dent.
4. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Hated; disapproved; friends.
(b) Envied; approved; enemies.
(c) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(d) Hated; approved; friends.
5. As Jane watches the group perform, she states to the reader that she could not _____Mr. Rochester merely because he has ceased to notice her.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
2. Why does Mrs. Reed forbid Jane from joining her, Eliza, John, and Georgiana in the drawing-room?
3. According to Jane, why is Blanche "too inferior" to excite jealousy?
4. What does the gypsy tell Jane about Blanche's motive for marrying Mr. Rochester?
5. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)