|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
(a) Mary Ingram.
(b) Mrs. Eshton.
(d) Blanche Ingram.
2. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
(b) Because it is on fire.
(c) Because Adele is ill.
(d) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
3. When Jane first arrives at Thornfield, how does Mrs. Fairfax treat her that surprises her?
(a) She treats her like a servant.
(b) She treats her like a stranger.
(c) She treats her like a visitor.
(d) She treats her like a pupil.
4. When Jane addresses the reader on her way to Thornfield for the first time, she states that "though I look ______accommodated, I am not very________in my mind."
(a) Uncomfortably; troubled.
(b) Luxuriously; pleasing.
(c) Comfortably; troubled.
(d) Comfortably; tranquil.
5. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
(a) Whether she thinks he is youthful.
(b) Whether she thinks he is serious.
(c) Whether she thinks he is handsome.
(d) Whether she thinks he is playful.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
2. Of what game is Jane ignorant that the party proposes to play?
3. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
4. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
5. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)