|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Hated; disapproved; friends.
(b) Envied; approved; enemies.
(c) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(d) Hated; approved; friends.
2. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Rancid meat.
(b) Grainy soup.
(c) Burned porridge.
(d) Cold gruel.
3. Who arrives at Lowood to see Jane and is mistaken for the carrier by her?
(a) Mrs. Reed.
(c) Georgiana Reed.
(d) John Reed.
4. According to Jane, women are supposed to be generally calm, but they feel what?
(a) Just as they are supposed to feel.
(b) Just as children feel.
(c) Just as they want to feel.
(d) Just as men feel.
5. Who orders a lunch of bread and cheese after learning of the girls' inedible breakfast?
(a) Miss Smith.
(b) Miss Scatcherd.
(c) Miss Temple.
(d) Miss Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Adele speak fluently?
2. Why is Jane surprised to learn that Mr. Rochester is the proprietor of Thornfield?
3. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
4. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
5. Who is Adele's mother?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)