|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jane surprised to learn that Mr. Rochester is the proprietor of Thornfield?
(a) Because she thinks Mr. Rochester is dead.
(b) Because she thinks Thornfield belongs to Adele.
(c) Because she thinks Mrs. Fairfax is the owner.
(d) Because she thinks there is no proprietor at Thornfield.
2. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
(a) Warm and sunny.
(b) Temperate and mild.
(c) Hot and muggy.
(d) Cold and rainy.
3. According to the gypsy, what is within Jane's reach?
4. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
(a) Habits of obedience and servitude.
(b) Habits of poverty and frugality.
(c) Habits of luxury and indulgence.
(d) Habits of pleasure and moderation.
5. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
Short Answer Questions
1. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
2. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
3. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
4. What is the gypsy doing when Jane enters the library?
5. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)