|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Jane surprised to learn that Mr. Rochester is the proprietor of Thornfield?
(a) Because she thinks Mrs. Fairfax is the owner.
(b) Because she thinks Thornfield belongs to Adele.
(c) Because she thinks there is no proprietor at Thornfield.
(d) Because she thinks Mr. Rochester is dead.
2. To whom is Jane referring when she thinks, "I will put her to some test, such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension"?
(a) Grace Poole.
(c) Mrs. Fairfax.
3. When Jane addresses the reader on her way to Thornfield for the first time, she states that "though I look ______accommodated, I am not very________in my mind."
(a) Comfortably; troubled.
(b) Comfortably; tranquil.
(c) Uncomfortably; troubled.
(d) Luxuriously; pleasing.
4. Who arrives at Lowood to see Jane and is mistaken for the carrier by her?
(a) Georgiana Reed.
(b) John Reed.
(d) Mrs. Reed.
5. Who is Adele's mother?
(a) A French opera dancer.
(b) A German singer.
(c) An Italian actress.
(d) A Greek dress maker.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane first arrives at Thornfield, how does Mrs. Fairfax treat her that surprises her?
2. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
3. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
4. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
5. Why is Jane taken and locked in the red-room?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)