|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jane first arrives at Thornfield, how does Mrs. Fairfax treat her that surprises her?
(a) She treats her like a pupil.
(b) She treats her like a stranger.
(c) She treats her like a servant.
(d) She treats her like a visitor.
2. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
3. What does the gypsy tell Jane about Blanche's motive for marrying Mr. Rochester?
(a) That she is marrying him for his estate.
(b) That she wants revenge on someone else.
(c) That she does not have long to live.
(d) That she is in love with him.
4. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Helen Burns.
(b) Miss Miller.
(c) Mrs. Lloyd.
(d) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
5. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
(a) Whether she thinks he is playful.
(b) Whether she thinks he is serious.
(c) Whether she thinks he is youthful.
(d) Whether she thinks he is handsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Rochester is in Leah's, what "sickening sense" does Jane feel regarding his absence?
2. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
3. What is the subject of Leah's and the charwoman's conversation that Jane overhears, and is dropped once they perceive her?
4. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
5. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)