|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
(b) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
(c) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(d) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
2. When Mr. Rochester is in Leah's, what "sickening sense" does Jane feel regarding his absence?
3. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Rancid meat.
(b) Cold gruel.
(c) Burned porridge.
(d) Grainy soup.
4. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
(a) Because the nearest physician lives in Bath.
(b) Because Mrs. Reed has employed an apothecary to care for Jane and the servants.
(c) Because Mr. Lloyd is studying to become a physician.
(d) Because the physician Mrs. Reed has employed is out of town.
5. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Jane referring when she thinks, "I will put her to some test, such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension"?
2. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
3. Who is the newcomer who arrives from England whom the ladies call a "beautiful man"?
4. What does Mr. Brocklehurst accuse Jane of being after making her sit on a stool in front of the class?
5. Why is Jane taken and locked in the red-room?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)