|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIII | Chapter XIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
(a) Because Mrs. Reed has employed an apothecary to care for Jane and the servants.
(b) Because Mr. Lloyd is studying to become a physician.
(c) Because the nearest physician lives in Bath.
(d) Because the physician Mrs. Reed has employed is out of town.
2. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
(b) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
(c) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(d) John and Miss Abbot.
3. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(b) Miss Miller.
(c) Helen Burns.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
4. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
(b) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(c) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
(d) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
5. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
(b) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
(c) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(d) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
2. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
3. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
4. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
5. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)