|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIII | Chapter XIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Rochester gives Adele her gift, he tells Jane that he is not fond of what?
(a) The moodiness of children.
(b) The dishonesty of servants.
(c) The prattle of children.
(d) The absence of adults.
2. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(b) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
(c) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(d) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
3. Why is Jane taken and locked in the red-room?
(a) Because she pulls Georgiana's hair.
(b) Because she tells on Eliza.
(c) Because she defends herself against Bessie.
(d) Because she defends herself against John.
4. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
(b) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
(c) John and Miss Abbot.
(d) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
5. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(b) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(c) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
(d) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
2. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
3. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
4. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
5. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)