|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIII | Chapter XIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
(a) She scolds her.
(b) She slaps her.
(c) She ignores her.
(d) She kisses her.
2. When Mr. Rochester gives Adele her gift, he tells Jane that he is not fond of what?
(a) The dishonesty of servants.
(b) The absence of adults.
(c) The prattle of children.
(d) The moodiness of children.
3. Why does Mrs. Reed forbid Jane from joining her, Eliza, John, and Georgiana in the drawing-room?
(a) Because she feels Jane does not have a sociable and childlike disposition.
(b) Because she feels Jane is contagious and does not want her children to get sick.
(c) Because she feels Jane has too much of a sociable and childlike disposition.
(d) Because her children have complained that Jane is getting all the attention.
4. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
(b) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(c) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
(d) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
5. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
(a) Whether she thinks he is youthful.
(b) Whether she thinks he is serious.
(c) Whether she thinks he is playful.
(d) Whether she thinks he is handsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
2. Why is Jane taken and locked in the red-room?
3. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
4. Who arrives at Lowood to see Jane and is mistaken for the carrier by her?
5. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)