|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIII | Chapter XIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
(a) Habits of pleasure and moderation.
(b) Habits of obedience and servitude.
(c) Habits of luxury and indulgence.
(d) Habits of poverty and frugality.
2. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
(a) Miss Scatcherd.
(b) Miss Miller.
(c) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(d) Miss Temple.
3. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(b) Small pox.
4. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Burned porridge.
(b) Cold gruel.
(c) Grainy soup.
(d) Rancid meat.
5. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
(a) Because Mr. Lloyd is studying to become a physician.
(b) Because the nearest physician lives in Bath.
(c) Because Mrs. Reed has employed an apothecary to care for Jane and the servants.
(d) Because the physician Mrs. Reed has employed is out of town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
2. Why is Jane surprised to learn that Mr. Rochester is the proprietor of Thornfield?
3. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
4. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
5. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)