|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIII | Chapter XIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
(a) Miss Temple.
(b) Miss Scatcherd.
(c) Miss Miller.
(d) Miss Smith.
2. How does Jane first encounter Mr. Rochester?
(a) He has fallen out of his coach.
(b) He has fallen down the staircase.
(c) He has fallen with his horse.
(d) He has fallen off his chair.
3. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
(b) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
(c) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(d) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
4. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(b) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
(c) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
(d) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
5. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
(a) Because Mrs. Reed has employed an apothecary to care for Jane and the servants.
(b) Because Mr. Lloyd is studying to become a physician.
(c) Because the physician Mrs. Reed has employed is out of town.
(d) Because the nearest physician lives in Bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
2. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
3. Why is Jane taken and locked in the red-room?
4. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
5. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)