|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XIII | Chapter XIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
(c) Small pox.
2. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
(a) Because the nearest physician lives in Bath.
(b) Because Mr. Lloyd is studying to become a physician.
(c) Because Mrs. Reed has employed an apothecary to care for Jane and the servants.
(d) Because the physician Mrs. Reed has employed is out of town.
3. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
(b) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(c) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
(d) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
4. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
(a) Her portfolio.
(b) Her jewelry.
(c) Her books.
(d) Her sculpture.
5. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
2. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
3. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
4. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
5. Why does Mrs. Reed forbid Jane from joining her, Eliza, John, and Georgiana in the drawing-room?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)