|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane is speaking to whom when she states, "I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."
(b) Mr. Reed.
(d) Mrs. Reed.
2. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
(a) Moving to America.
(b) Marrying a rich beau.
(c) Exploring the world.
(d) Attending school.
3. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
4. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
(b) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
(c) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
(d) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
5. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
(a) Miss Smith.
(b) Miss Temple.
(c) Miss Miller.
(d) Miss Scatcherd.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
2. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
3. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
4. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
5. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)