|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(b) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(c) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
(d) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
2. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
(a) Religious loci.
(d) Regnat populace.
3. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
4. What does Jane first eat at Lowood that is disgusting, but is devoured out of hunger?
(a) Rancid meat.
(b) Grainy soup.
(c) Burned porridge.
(d) Cold gruel.
5. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
(a) Habits of obedience and servitude.
(b) Habits of luxury and indulgence.
(c) Habits of pleasure and moderation.
(d) Habits of poverty and frugality.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
2. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
3. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
4. Who orders a lunch of bread and cheese after learning of the girls' inedible breakfast?
5. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)