|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
(b) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(c) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
(d) John and Miss Abbot.
2. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
3. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
(a) Regnat populace.
(b) Religious loci.
4. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
(b) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(c) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
(d) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
5. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
(a) Miss Temple.
(b) Miss Scatcherd.
(c) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(d) Miss Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
2. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
3. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
4. Jane is speaking to whom when she states, "I will say the very thought of you makes me sick, and that you treated me with miserable cruelty."
5. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)