|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(d) Small pox.
2. What does Mr. Brocklehurst accuse Jane of being after making her sit on a stool in front of the class?
(a) An atheist.
(b) A liar.
(c) A bully.
(d) A thief.
3. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
(b) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(c) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
(d) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
4. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(b) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
(c) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(d) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
5. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
(b) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(c) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(d) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
2. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
3. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
4. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
5. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)