|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
(a) It is cropped.
(b) It is too long.
(c) It is too curly.
(d) It is unclean.
2. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
(a) Marrying a rich beau.
(b) Exploring the world.
(c) Attending school.
(d) Moving to America.
3. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Envied; approved; enemies.
(b) Hated; approved; friends.
(c) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(d) Hated; disapproved; friends.
4. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
(a) Warm and sunny.
(b) Hot and muggy.
(c) Temperate and mild.
(d) Cold and rainy.
5. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(d) Small pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
2. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
3. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
4. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
5. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)