|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
(b) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(c) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(d) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
2. In the red-room, why does Jane rush at the door and shake the lock to escape?
(a) Because she thinks there is a ghost in the room.
(b) Because Bessie has threatened to strike her with a whip.
(c) Because John is taunting her in the room.
(d) Because she is cold and wants to light the fire.
3. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
(a) Miss Miller.
(b) Miss Scatcherd.
(c) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(d) Miss Temple.
4. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(b) Mrs. Lloyd.
(c) Helen Burns.
(d) Miss Miller.
5. Why does Mrs. Reed forbid Jane from joining her, Eliza, John, and Georgiana in the drawing-room?
(a) Because she feels Jane does not have a sociable and childlike disposition.
(b) Because she feels Jane is contagious and does not want her children to get sick.
(c) Because she feels Jane has too much of a sociable and childlike disposition.
(d) Because her children have complained that Jane is getting all the attention.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
2. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
3. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
4. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
5. Why is Jane taken and locked in the red-room?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)