|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) John and Miss Abbot.
(b) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
(c) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(d) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
2. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(b) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(c) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
(d) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
3. How does Miss Temple respond to Jane's defense of her character in light of Mr. Brocklehurst's accusation?
(a) She ignores her.
(b) She kisses her.
(c) She slaps her.
(d) She scolds her.
4. Who orders a lunch of bread and cheese after learning of the girls' inedible breakfast?
(a) Miss Miller.
(b) Miss Temple.
(c) Miss Smith.
(d) Miss Scatcherd.
5. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
(b) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
(c) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(d) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, what hour in the evening has provided "the ruddy gloaming, the licensed uproar, the confusion of many voices gave one a welcome sense of liberty?"
2. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
3. What month is it when Jane departs for Lowood?
4. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
5. What is inscribed on Helen's grave besides her name?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)