|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
(a) Habits of poverty and frugality.
(b) Habits of luxury and indulgence.
(c) Habits of pleasure and moderation.
(d) Habits of obedience and servitude.
2. What is the weather like as the novel opens?
(a) Temperate and mild.
(b) Warm and sunny.
(c) Cold and rainy.
(d) Hot and muggy.
3. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(b) Envied; approved; enemies.
(c) Hated; approved; friends.
(d) Hated; disapproved; friends.
4. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
(a) It is too long.
(b) It is cropped.
(c) It is too curly.
(d) It is unclean.
5. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(b) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
(c) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(d) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane wakes up in her own bed after fainting in the red-room, why is Mr. Lloyd in the room and NOT a physician?
2. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
3. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
4. Who says to Helen, "Burns, you are standing on the side of your shoe; turn your toes out immediately," and "Burns, you poke your chin most unpleasantly; draw it in!"?
5. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)