|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IX | Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Jane meet when she first arrives at Lowood?
(a) Helen Burns.
(b) Miss Miller.
(c) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(d) Mrs. Lloyd.
2. According to Jane, who bullies and punishes her "not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually?"
3. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Hated; approved; friends.
(b) Envied; approved; enemies.
(c) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
(d) Hated; disapproved; friends.
4. After the disease abates at Lowood, what discovery is made that is mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst?
(a) The discovery of scandalous behavior and excessive opulence at the school.
(b) The discovery of missing funds and abusive teachers at the school.
(c) The discovery of the ill-treatment and poor conditions at the school.
(d) The discovery of abducted children and slave wages at the school.
5. Who holds down Jane's arms and threatens to tie her down in the red-room?
(a) Mrs. Reed and Miss Abbot.
(b) Bessie and Mrs. Reed.
(c) John and Miss Abbot.
(d) Bessie and Miss Abbot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders a lunch of bread and cheese after learning of the girls' inedible breakfast?
2. Who arrives at Lowood to see Jane and is mistaken for the carrier by her?
3. How does Jane respond to Mr. Lloyd's presence in the room?
4. What is Mr. Brocklehurst's complaint about Julia Severn's hair?
5. What does Mr. Brocklehurst accuse Jane of being after making her sit on a stool in front of the class?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)