|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XVII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are Jane and other girls forced to part with their portion of food at Lowood during the cold winter months?
(a) Because the smallest girls need the food.
(b) Because the teachers tell them to do so.
(c) Because the younger girls are not allowed more than one portion.
(d) Because the older girls menace them into doing so.
2. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Hated; disapproved; friends.
(b) Hated; approved; friends.
(c) Envied; approved; enemies.
(d) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
3. To whom is Blanche referring when she tells Mr. Rochester that "half of them detestable, and the rest ridiculous"?
4. According to Mr. Brocklehurst, Miss Temple NOT should not accustom the girls to what?
(a) Habits of poverty and frugality.
(b) Habits of pleasure and moderation.
(c) Habits of obedience and servitude.
(d) Habits of luxury and indulgence.
5. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(d) Small pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
2. Jane puts on what gift from Miss Temple for her first tea-time with Mr. Rochester?
3. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
4. As she overhears Miss Abbot's and Bessie's conversation, Jane learns her parents died from what?
5. What is the subject of Leah's and the charwoman's conversation that Jane overhears, and is dropped once they perceive her?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)