|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XVII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When May arrives at Lowood, what is the "fog-bred pestilence" that arrives to transform the school into a hospital?
(c) Small pox.
2. According to Mr. Rochester, Jane is ______, quiet, _______, and simple.
(a) Worldly; grave.
(b) Quaint; grave.
(c) Quaint; cheerful.
(d) Worldly; cheerful.
3. Who, according to Jane, in her final eight years at Lowood, "stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion"?
(a) Miss Miller.
(b) Miss Temple.
(c) Mrs. Brocklehurst.
(d) Miss Scatcherd.
4. As Mr. Lloyd questions Jane about her life at Gateshead, Jane's spirit is moved by what prospect which implies "an entire separation from Gateshead, an entrance into a new life?"
(a) Exploring the world.
(b) Marrying a rich beau.
(c) Moving to America.
(d) Attending school.
5. According to Jane, why are the girls predisposed to becoming ill so that forty-five out of eighty are afflicted?
(a) Because of stifling heat and a fatty diet.
(b) Because of physical abuse and lack of vitamins.
(c) Because of semi-starvation and neglected colds.
(d) Because of lack of exercise and too many sweets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Jane when the novel opens?
2. What is the name of Mr. Rochester's dog?
3. What does Mr. Rochester ask to see of Jane's during their first tea-time?
4. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane regarding his appearance?
5. With what booty does Jane retreat when the party arrives with Mr. Rochester?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)