|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After supper on the night before they are to be married, how does Mr. Rochester respond when Jane asks him if he feels calm and happy?
(a) Calm, no. And unhappy.
(b) Calm, yes. But unhappy.
(c) Calm, yes. And happy.
(d) Calm, no. But happy.
2. As she comforts Jane after Mr. Brocklehurst leaves, Helen tells her, "If all the world ________ you, and believed you wicked, while your own conscience ________ you, and absolved you from guilt, you would not be without __________."
(a) Hated; approved; friends.
(b) Envied; approved; enemies.
(c) Hated; disapproved; friends.
(d) Envied; disapproved; enemies.
3. According to Mr. Rochester, what has happened to Bertha's mother?
(a) She is ill with thyphus.
(b) She is the mistress of his father.
(c) She is shut up in a lunatic asylum.
(d) She is a runaway from another island.
4. What hope does Jane cherish that she has "no right to conceive"?
(a) That Mr. Rochester's marriage to Blanche Ingram is off.
(b) That her position as governess will continue.
(c) That she has inherited money from a relative.
(d) That she will be allowed to take leave of Thornfield.
5. According to Mr. Rochester, why does he have to go to Jamaica?
(a) Because he has arranged to be married.
(b) Because his brother is buried there.
(c) Because his father has business there.
(d) Because he is in trouble with the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Rochester greets Jane upon her return from Thornfield and asks if she can make him handsome, she tells him that _______has power beyond beauty.
2. What does Mr. John Eyre of Madeira leave to Jane following his death?
3. Who tells Mr. Eshton that Jane "looks too stupid for any game of the sort"?
4. Jane tells Mr. Rochester the face of the person in the closet reminded her of what?
5. According to Mr. Rochester, Jane is ______, quiet, _______, and simple.
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)