|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Jane referring when she thinks, "I will put her to some test, such absolute impenetrability is past comprehension"?
(a) Grace Poole.
(d) Mrs. Fairfax.
2. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
(b) Because Adele is ill.
(c) Because it is on fire.
(d) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
3. What does Adele tell Jane about the big horse-chestnut at the bottom of the orchard?
(a) That someone has cut it down.
(b) That a fire has burned it down.
(c) That someone has carved its trunk.
(d) That lightning has split it in two.
4. How does Jane feel about being a village schoolmistress?
5. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
(c) Adhere to principle.
(d) Surrender to passion.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mr. Rochester and Jane discuss the prospect of her going to Ireland, what does Jane begin to do when she hears a nightingale?
2. When Mr. Rochester suggests Jane get a position in Ireland to educate the five daughters of Mrs. Dionysius O'Gall, Jane proclaims that the sea is a barrier to what?
3. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
4. What is the name of St. John's Pointer?
5. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)