|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of St. John's Pointer?
2. What does Adele tell Jane about the big horse-chestnut at the bottom of the orchard?
(a) That someone has cut it down.
(b) That a fire has burned it down.
(c) That lightning has split it in two.
(d) That someone has carved its trunk.
3. As Mr. Rochester and Jane discuss the prospect of her going to Ireland, what does Jane begin to do when she hears a nightingale?
4. Mr. Rochester compares Jane to what as she tries to free from his embrace?
(a) A tiger.
(b) A cat.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A bird.
5. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
(b) Because Adele is ill.
(c) Because it is on fire.
(d) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
2. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
3. How does Jane feel about being a village schoolmistress?
4. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
5. Regarding the prospect of leaving, Jane tells Mr. Rochester, "I see the necessity of departure; and it is like looking on the necessity of ______".
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)