|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXXI.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adele tell Jane about the big horse-chestnut at the bottom of the orchard?
(a) That someone has carved its trunk.
(b) That lightning has split it in two.
(c) That a fire has burned it down.
(d) That someone has cut it down.
2. What does Mr. Rochester tell Jane about Adele's mother?
(a) That she has married someone else.
(b) That she jas married him.
(c) That he has left her for another woman.
(d) That she has betrayed him.
3. Why does Jane rush to Mr. Rochester's room after being awakened in the middle of the night by demonic laughter?
(a) Because Grace Poole has threatened her.
(b) Because Mrs. Fairfax has disappeared.
(c) Because Adele is ill.
(d) Because it is on fire.
4. What does Mr. Rochester ask Jane to do as they listen to the nightingale?
(a) Bed him.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Forgive him.
(d) Leave him.
5. When Mr. Rochester suggests Jane get a position in Ireland to educate the five daughters of Mrs. Dionysius O'Gall, Jane proclaims that the sea is a barrier to what?
(a) To Mr. Rochester.
(b) To Gateshead.
(c) To marriage.
(d) To her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jane, which is better: to surrender to passion or to adhere to principle?
2. Mr. Rochester compares Jane to what as she tries to free from his embrace?
3. How does Jane describe Miss Rosamond Oliver, the heiress who greets her and St. John?
4. Of the twenty girls for whom Jane is responsible, how many can read and how many can write?
5. Whom is Mrs. Fairfax describing to Jane that is "Tall, fine bust, sloping shoulder; long graceful neck; olive complexion, dark and clear; noble features"?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)