Chapter I | Chapter II
* Jane Eyre is a ten year-old orphan who lives with her aunt, Mrs. Reed, and her three children, Eliza, John, and Georgiana.
* Mrs. Reed does not allow Jane to join the group because she is not a happy child and should not associate with the other children.
* Jane reads by herself. John comes in and throws a book at her. He attacks her and she defends herself. She tries to fend them off, but is banished to the Red Room. The Red Room is the grandest room at Gateshead and the place where Jane's uncle died nine years ago.
* The room grows dark and cold, and she thinks of Mr. Reed and his ghost's appearing, and becomes afraid. In her panic, she beats on the door to be freed. Jane passes out in fear.
Chapter III | Chapter IV
* Jane wakes in her bed in...
This section contains 2,926 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)