|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane tells Cassandra that Henry is home and ___________ than she thought.
2. Little Harriet is ill and the doctor states that she has what?
3. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
4. Jane answers Anna's specific questions regarding the accuracy and title of the manuscript, and she suggests that Anna omit the postscript because of what reason?
5. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane have to say about Anna's book?
2. Why does Jane praise Mrs. West?
3. How is Henry feeling at this point?
4. What does Jane have to say about David Garrick's play?
5. What does Jane tell John Murray, in reference to her books?
6. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
7. What does Fanny Knight do regarding Jane's book? What does Jane decide to tell Anna?
8. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
9. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
10. What does Jane say about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing of "Merchant of Venice?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane's letters often have similar themes.
Part 1) What are three of these themes that are found in most of her letters. How are they themes?
Part 2) How can you relate to these themes? How might these themes also be found in her books?
Part 3) Are these themes important today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Austen dies.
Part 1) What does Jane say about his death? How is the family affected by it? How does it change their lives?
Part 2) How are the deaths mentioned in these letters significant? What does it reveal about Jane and her life?
Part 3) How often do people today talk and think about death? How does this compare to Jane's period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Jane lives in Bath for awhile.
Part 1) Why does she move to Bath? What does she think about Bath? Why?
Part 2) Where else does she live and visit? How do these various places compare? What does she think about her travels? Why?
Part 3) Where have you lived? How does this place or these places affect you?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)