|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. She discusses Sir Joshua Reynold's _______________ and Henry Aston Baker's collection, "Triumph of Perspective".
2. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
3. Why does Jane lament Fanny's pending marriage?
4. Jane believes that Henry will marry who soon?
5. Jane demands that the father in her most recent story be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane do regarding Fanny's possible marriage?
2. What does Jane say about Charles? Why might she say this?
3. What book does Jane plan to read? Why?
4. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
5. What are two books Jane reads at this time?
6. Why does Jane praise Mrs. West?
7. What does Jane say about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing of "Merchant of Venice?"
8. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
9. What does Jane write to Caroline Austen?
10. What does Fanny Knight do regarding Jane's book? What does Jane decide to tell Anna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane gives advice to other female writers.
Part 1) What advice does she give? Why does she give advice? What is your opinion of this advice?
Part 2) How else is Jane opinionated? What do her opinions reveal about her personality?
Part 3) About what are you opinionated? What does this reveal about your personality?
Essay Topic 2
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jane is opinionated.
Part 1) About what is Jane opinionated? How do you know this? What does this reveal about her personality and upbringing?
Part 2) Do you agree with her opinions? Why or why not? What might others think of her opinion? Why?
Part 3) About what are you opinionated? Why?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)