|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Austen is not well but would be glad to see Caroline, especially next Saturday, which is what?
2. Jane tells Caroline that Mary Jane passed her time at Chawton pleasantly and is surprised about what?
3. She is uncertain as to whether there will be a second edition of what novel?
4. Jane enjoys visiting Henry, though he has a pain where?
5. Jane, her sister and brothers intend to do what together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane say about Charles? Why might she say this?
2. What are two books Jane reads at this time?
3. What does Jane write to Caroline Austen?
4. What does Jane say about Frank, Edward, Henry, and Charles?
5. What does Jane do regarding Fanny's possible marriage?
6. What is taking place with many of Jane's family members at this time?
7. What does Jane have to say about David Garrick's play?
8. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
9. Describe Jane's trip with Henry to Chawton.
10. What does Jane say about her journey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane is very close to her sister Cassandra.
Part 1) Describe the correspondence between these sisters. How do you know they are very close?
Part 2) How does this relationship compare to Jane's relationships with other relatives and friends? Why are these relationships so important to Jane?
Part 3) To whom are you close? Why? How does this relationship affect your life? How does your communication with this loved one compare to Jane's communication with Cassandra?
Essay Topic 2
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Jane enjoys reading.
Part 1) Describe five of the books she has read. What might these book have in common?
Part 2) Why does Jane mention books she has read? Why is this something important for her to tell others?
Part 3) What might these books reveal about her? What do the books you read reveal about you?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)