|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. She reads William Cowper's __________________ and Boswell's "Life of Johnson".
2. Who is the most comfortable and successful member of the Austen family?
3. She regrets that she is unlikely to visit Hendon, Anna's new home. Why can she not visit?
4. Fanny Knight's visit makes Jane quite happy and she notices that Fanny is affected by what?
5. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Austen dies.
Part 1) What does Jane say about his death? How is the family affected by it? How does it change their lives?
Part 2) How are the deaths mentioned in these letters significant? What does it reveal about Jane and her life?
Part 3) How often do people today talk and think about death? How does this compare to Jane's period of time?
Essay Topic 2
Jane often talks about illness and the health of those around her.
Part 1) Describe four times when she has discussed someone's health. Why does she discuss this in her letters?
Part 2) What do these discussions reveal about life in the 1800s? Why is Jane so preoccupied with everyone's health?
Part 3) Do you discuss your health or the health of others on a regular basis? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jane lives in Bath for awhile.
Part 1) Why does she move to Bath? What does she think about Bath? Why?
Part 2) Where else does she live and visit? How do these various places compare? What does she think about her travels? Why?
Part 3) Where have you lived? How does this place or these places affect you?
This section contains 1,413 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)