|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane believes that Henry will marry who soon?
2. Henry takes Jane to see _______________, and Jane is pleased at a small portrait of "Mrs. Bingley", like "Portrait of a Lady" by J. F. M. Huet-Villiers.
3. Jane tells John Murray that she is happy with Sir Walter Scott's review of "Emma" in the Quarterly Review, but she is displeased about what?
4. She is convinced that Mr. Papillon will soon do what?
5. Why is Jane not impressed with "The Farmer's Wife?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
2. How is Henry feeling at this point?
3. What does Jane say about her journey?
4. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
5. What makes Jane happy, regarding her novels?
6. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
7. What does Jane write to Caroline Austen?
8. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
9. What does Jane tell John Murray, in reference to her books?
10. What does Jane say about Charles? Why might she say this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane travels a great deal.
Part 1) Describe the places she travels. How does she come by these opportunities to travel?
Part 2) What do these trips reveal about her family's social status? What do they also reveal about Jane?
Part 3) On what vacations and trips have you been? What did you think about traveling? How does this compare to Jane's experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Jane sends copies of her book to various individuals.
Part 1) To whom does she send copies of her books? Why does she do this? How does she benefit from this?
Part 2) What are the opinions of Jane's books? Why do you believe people feel this way about her books?
Part 3) To whom would you send a book you had written? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)