|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
2. Jane's reference to Methuselah in her letter to Fanny Knight proves her familiarity with what?
3. She writes to Caroline Austen, apologizing that she has not yet done what?
4. She also states that she just found out that Mr. Crabbe was married when what happened?
5. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
2. What are two books Jane reads at this time?
3. What does Jane write to Fanny Knight regarding Fanny's love interest?
4. What does Jane do regarding Anna's manuscript?
5. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
6. What correspondence takes place between Jane and James Stanier Clarke?
7. What makes Jane happy, regarding her novels?
8. What does Jane have to say about Anna's book?
9. What does Jane say about Frank, Edward, Henry, and Charles?
10. What book does Jane plan to read? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane writes many letters.
Part 1) Describe two of the letters in detail. What do they have in common? What is unique about each?
Part 2) What can be learned about Jane through these letters? What can be learned about life in the 1800s through these letters?
Part 3) How has communication between people changed since this period of time? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jane's letters resemble her books.
Part 1) Describe Jane's letters. How might her books resemble her letters? Use the text to support your response.
Part 2) How might reading her letters affect the reader of her books? Why? How might reading her letters be beneficial?
Part 3) If you were to write a book, about what would it be? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)