|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
2. She is frightened at the thought that who wants to be introduced to her?
3. Jane writes to Anna Lefroy nee Austen that Mrs. Creed's opinion is now less important to her because of what reason?
4. Jane tells Cassandra that Henry is home and ___________ than she thought.
5. Frank's visit is delayed by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane have to say about David Garrick's play?
2. What are two books Jane reads at this time?
3. What does Jane say about Frank, Edward, Henry, and Charles?
4. What does Jane tell John Murray, in reference to her books?
5. What does Jane say about her journey?
6. Describe Jane's trip with Henry to Chawton.
7. What does Jane do regarding Fanny's possible marriage?
8. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
9. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
10. How is Henry feeling at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
Jane lives in Bath for awhile.
Part 1) Why does she move to Bath? What does she think about Bath? Why?
Part 2) Where else does she live and visit? How do these various places compare? What does she think about her travels? Why?
Part 3) Where have you lived? How does this place or these places affect you?
Essay Topic 3
Jane is very close to her sister Cassandra.
Part 1) Describe the correspondence between these sisters. How do you know they are very close?
Part 2) How does this relationship compare to Jane's relationships with other relatives and friends? Why are these relationships so important to Jane?
Part 3) To whom are you close? Why? How does this relationship affect your life? How does your communication with this loved one compare to Jane's communication with Cassandra?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)