|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane yearns to see whose exhibition as well?
2. Jane writes to Anna saying that her eyes are weak and it is well that they did not weaken sooner or she could not have assisted in making what?
3. Henry is promoted and does not feel the loss of who so badly because he is used to being away from her?
4. Mr. John Murray, a London publisher, offers Jane how many pounds for "Emma" and the copyrights to "Mansfield Park" and "Sense and Sensibility?"
5. Jane is happy when "Sense and Sensibility" is advertised and happy with Miss Sharpe's flattery that "Pride and Prejudice" is read where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane write to Caroline Austen?
2. What does Jane write to Anna Lefroy regarding Mrs. Creed?
3. What does Jane tell Caroline in a letter?
4. How is Henry feeling at this point?
5. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
6. What does Jane write to Fanny Knight regarding Fanny's love interest?
7. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
8. What does Jane have to say about Anna's book?
9. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
10. What does Jane do regarding Anna's manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Having a place in society is important to Jane.
Part 1) How do you know this? What exactly is her place in society?
Part 2) How does she impose this opinion on others? How does this need to fit in affect Jane?
Part 3) How important is fitting in today? How does it compare to Jane's time?
Essay Topic 2
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Jane is very close to her sister Cassandra.
Part 1) Describe the correspondence between these sisters. How do you know they are very close?
Part 2) How does this relationship compare to Jane's relationships with other relatives and friends? Why are these relationships so important to Jane?
Part 3) To whom are you close? Why? How does this relationship affect your life? How does your communication with this loved one compare to Jane's communication with Cassandra?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)