|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
2. Fanny Knight praises what characters?
3. She is uncertain as to whether there will be a second edition of what novel?
4. Jane praises Caroline's handwriting and what story?
5. She is convinced that Mr. Papillon will soon do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane do regarding Anna's manuscript?
2. What does Jane tell Caroline in a letter?
3. How is Henry feeling at this point?
4. What does Jane say about Charles? Why might she say this?
5. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
6. Describe Jane's trip with Henry to Chawton.
7. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
8. What does Jane write to Fanny Knight regarding Fanny's love interest?
9. What does Jane say about Frank, Edward, Henry, and Charles?
10. What does Jane have to say about David Garrick's play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Having a place in society is important to Jane.
Part 1) How do you know this? What exactly is her place in society?
Part 2) How does she impose this opinion on others? How does this need to fit in affect Jane?
Part 3) How important is fitting in today? How does it compare to Jane's time?
Essay Topic 2
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Jane's letters often have similar themes.
Part 1) What are three of these themes that are found in most of her letters. How are they themes?
Part 2) How can you relate to these themes? How might these themes also be found in her books?
Part 3) Are these themes important today? Why or why not?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)