|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane plans to read Robert Southey's "Life of Nelson" for what reason?
2. Henry is promoted and does not feel the loss of who so badly because he is used to being away from her?
3. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
4. Jane tells Caroline that Mary Jane passed her time at Chawton pleasantly and is surprised about what?
5. John Murray advises Jane of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane say about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing of "Merchant of Venice?"
2. What does Jane say about her journey?
3. What book does Jane plan to read? Why?
4. What does Fanny Knight do regarding Jane's book? What does Jane decide to tell Anna?
5. What does Jane do regarding Anna's manuscript?
6. What does Jane write to Fanny Knight regarding Fanny's love interest?
7. How is Henry feeling at this point?
8. What does Jane say about Frank, Edward, Henry, and Charles?
9. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
10. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane writes many letters.
Part 1) Describe two of the letters in detail. What do they have in common? What is unique about each?
Part 2) What can be learned about Jane through these letters? What can be learned about life in the 1800s through these letters?
Part 3) How has communication between people changed since this period of time? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Jane sends copies of her book to various individuals.
Part 1) To whom does she send copies of her books? Why does she do this? How does she benefit from this?
Part 2) What are the opinions of Jane's books? Why do you believe people feel this way about her books?
Part 3) To whom would you send a book you had written? Why?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)