|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane believes that Fanny likes him enough to marry, but not enough to do what?
2. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
3. Jane makes ___________ pounds from the sale of the books and the sale of the copyright.
4. Jane is happy when "Sense and Sensibility" is advertised and happy with Miss Sharpe's flattery that "Pride and Prejudice" is read where?
5. Jane is pleased that __________________ of "Sense and Sensibility" sell.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane say about Frank, Edward, Henry, and Charles?
2. What does Jane say about her journey?
3. What does Jane tell John Murray, in reference to her books?
4. What are two books Jane reads at this time?
5. What does Jane write to Caroline Austen?
6. What does Jane write to Fanny Knight regarding Fanny's love interest?
7. Why does Jane praise Mrs. West?
8. How is Henry feeling at this point?
9. What does Fanny Knight do regarding Jane's book? What does Jane decide to tell Anna?
10. What does Jane write to Anna Lefroy regarding Mrs. Creed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane is very close to her sister Cassandra.
Part 1) Describe the correspondence between these sisters. How do you know they are very close?
Part 2) How does this relationship compare to Jane's relationships with other relatives and friends? Why are these relationships so important to Jane?
Part 3) To whom are you close? Why? How does this relationship affect your life? How does your communication with this loved one compare to Jane's communication with Cassandra?
Essay Topic 2
A great deal can be learned about Jane Austen from reading these letters.
Part 1) Name four things that can be learned about Jane from reading her letters. How might she compare to other women at this time?
Part 2) How does she compare to people today? Can a reader today relate to Jane's life? Why or why not?
Part 3) What could be learned about you by reading your e-mails, instant messages, voicemails, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Jane travels a great deal.
Part 1) Describe the places she travels. How does she come by these opportunities to travel?
Part 2) What do these trips reveal about her family's social status? What do they also reveal about Jane?
Part 3) On what vacations and trips have you been? What did you think about traveling? How does this compare to Jane's experiences?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)