|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. She also states that she just found out that Mr. Crabbe was married when what happened?
2. Jane writes to Anna saying that her eyes are weak and it is well that they did not weaken sooner or she could not have assisted in making what?
3. She hopes that Sir William will marry who?
4. Jane praises Anna's manuscript, comparing it to Burney's ____________.
5. She visits the Fagg family and describes who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fanny Knight do regarding Jane's book? What does Jane decide to tell Anna?
2. What does Jane tell John Murray, in reference to her books?
3. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
4. What are two books Jane reads at this time?
5. Why does Jane praise Mrs. West?
6. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
7. What does Jane write to Caroline Austen?
8. What does Jane say about Charles? Why might she say this?
9. What does Jane say about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing of "Merchant of Venice?"
10. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
Essay Topic 2
Jane gives advice to other female writers.
Part 1) What advice does she give? Why does she give advice? What is your opinion of this advice?
Part 2) How else is Jane opinionated? What do her opinions reveal about her personality?
Part 3) About what are you opinionated? What does this reveal about your personality?
Essay Topic 3
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)