|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jane call on most of their neighbors?
2. She describes her plans for what book for the first time?
3. Jane jokingly wishes Edward a "happy thirtieth birthday", although it is actually his ____________ birthday.
4. She asks Cassandra's advice about what fashion?
5. Mrs. Austen plans to move where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
2. What are Mrs. Austen and Jane's plans regarding their living situation?
3. What does Jane say about the small ball she attends?
4. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
5. Why does Jane offer her former admirers to Mary? How does this situation end differently than she had initially expected?
6. Describe Jane's trip to Paragon.
7. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
8. What is offered to James? What will he do with some of this?
9. How does Jane's first letter begin?
10. What does Jane have to say about David Garrick's play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane writes many letters.
Part 1) Describe two of the letters in detail. What do they have in common? What is unique about each?
Part 2) What can be learned about Jane through these letters? What can be learned about life in the 1800s through these letters?
Part 3) How has communication between people changed since this period of time? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jane travels a great deal.
Part 1) Describe the places she travels. How does she come by these opportunities to travel?
Part 2) What do these trips reveal about her family's social status? What do they also reveal about Jane?
Part 3) On what vacations and trips have you been? What did you think about traveling? How does this compare to Jane's experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Jane attends many social gatherings.
Part 1) Describe these social gatherings. What is her opinion of the various gatherings? Why does she feel this way?
Part 2) How important are these social gatherings to Jane? Why? How have social gatherings changed over time? How are they the same?
Part 3) Describe your own social gatherings. Why do you attend them? Do you enjoy them? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,895 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)