|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane was disappointed that Charles Fowle was not in attendance, but glad that her_____________, Tom Lefroy was there.
2. Jane and Mrs. Austen are currently in a house in Seymour Street, but Jane went with her uncle to look at two pleasing houses where?
3. Jane was alone with Mr. Holder at Ashe Park for ten minutes, which was very _______________.
4. Jane generously allows Mary all of her former admirers for what reason?
5. Jane writes to offer her condolences to Edward on the death of who?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane's first letter begin?
2. What does Jane say about the events taking place in her life?
3. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
4. Why does Jane offer her former admirers to Mary? How does this situation end differently than she had initially expected?
5. What gossip does Jane tell Cassandra?
6. What is offered to James? What will he do with some of this?
7. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
8. How does Jane feel about writing? What does she later do with this statement?
9. How does Jane feel about Mr. Holder?
10. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
Essay Topic 2
Jane sends copies of her book to various individuals.
Part 1) To whom does she send copies of her books? Why does she do this? How does she benefit from this?
Part 2) What are the opinions of Jane's books? Why do you believe people feel this way about her books?
Part 3) To whom would you send a book you had written? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Austen dies.
Part 1) What does Jane say about his death? How is the family affected by it? How does it change their lives?
Part 2) How are the deaths mentioned in these letters significant? What does it reveal about Jane and her life?
Part 3) How often do people today talk and think about death? How does this compare to Jane's period of time?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)