|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As what does Jane refer to Mr. Evelyn?
2. Jane writes her niece, Anna, and expresses her interest in the ______ family from Anna's novel, "Tarefield Abbey."
3. Jane and Mrs. Austen are currently in a house in Seymour Street, but Jane went with her uncle to look at two pleasing houses where?
4. The answer to number 27 is in reference to what book?
5. Jane is flattered by her sister's commendation of her writing since Jane "writes only for _______________".
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Edward and Frank leave, according to Jane? What does she wish for Cassandra?
2. What does Jane say about the small ball she attends?
3. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
4. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
5. Describe Jane's trip to Paragon.
6. What does Jane write regarding Edward?
7. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
8. What news does Jane have of Tom?
9. How does Jane feel about Mr. Holder?
10. Why does Jane offer her former admirers to Mary? How does this situation end differently than she had initially expected?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane sends copies of her book to various individuals.
Part 1) To whom does she send copies of her books? Why does she do this? How does she benefit from this?
Part 2) What are the opinions of Jane's books? Why do you believe people feel this way about her books?
Part 3) To whom would you send a book you had written? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
Essay Topic 3
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)