|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
2. Jane discusses the plans for moving ____________ with Cassandra and tells her that their aunt is happy about the Austens' moving.
3. Mr. Austen offers his ____________ to James Digweed but is refused.
4. Mrs. Knight promotes a match between Jane and Mr. Papillon, and Jane jokes that she will marry him despite his or her own reluctance because of what reason?
5. She describes her plans for what book for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane say about the events taking place in her life?
2. How does Jane's first letter begin?
3. Who dies in this section?
4. How does Jane feel about Mr. Holder?
5. What does Jane tell Cassandra about the ball with fifty people in attendance?
6. How does Jane feel about writing? What does she later do with this statement?
7. Why do Edward and Frank leave, according to Jane? What does she wish for Cassandra?
8. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
9. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
10. What are two books Jane alludes to in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 2
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jane encounters obstacles as a writer.
Part 1) Describe Jane's works. What obstacles does she encounter? How does she handle these obstacles?
Part 2) Why do these obstacles occur? Could they have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 3) What obstacles have you encountered in your own life? How did you deal with these obstacles?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)