|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. She attends a party at the Cookes' but there is scarcely any what there?
2. Jane thinks that concealing the intended partnership with Martha Lloyd is __________, referring to Frank's intentions to marry Martha.
3. Jane is thrilled with her and Cassandra's newest what?
4. She praises Tom, mentioning that his only fault is what?
5. Jane stays at Goodnestone until Monday and hopes that Edward will fetch her for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discomfort does Jane express to Cassandra?
2. How does Jane feel about Mr. Holder?
3. Why does Jane offer her former admirers to Mary? How does this situation end differently than she had initially expected?
4. Describe Jane's trip to Paragon.
5. What does Jane say about the events taking place in her life?
6. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
7. What does Jane tell Cassandra about the ball with fifty people in attendance?
8. What does Jane say about Southampton?
9. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
10. Where are the Bullers headed? What does Jane think of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane writes many letters.
Part 1) Describe two of the letters in detail. What do they have in common? What is unique about each?
Part 2) What can be learned about Jane through these letters? What can be learned about life in the 1800s through these letters?
Part 3) How has communication between people changed since this period of time? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)