|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jane not expect letters from Cassandra until she receives them?
2. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
3. She has read Sarah Harriet Burney's "Clarentine" and finds it how?
4. The apothecary believes that Edward did what?
5. Mr. Austen offers his ____________ to James Digweed but is refused.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mrs. Austen and Jane's plans regarding their living situation?
2. How does Jane feel about Mr. Holder?
3. What news does Jane have of Tom?
4. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
5. What is Jane's opinion regarding her brother's health? What does the apothecary say about Edward?
6. What does Jane say about Southampton?
7. What match does Mrs. Knight promote? What does Jane think of this?
8. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
9. Where are the Bullers headed? What does Jane think of this?
10. What is offered to James? What will he do with some of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane travels a great deal.
Part 1) Describe the places she travels. How does she come by these opportunities to travel?
Part 2) What do these trips reveal about her family's social status? What do they also reveal about Jane?
Part 3) On what vacations and trips have you been? What did you think about traveling? How does this compare to Jane's experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Austen dies.
Part 1) What does Jane say about his death? How is the family affected by it? How does it change their lives?
Part 2) How are the deaths mentioned in these letters significant? What does it reveal about Jane and her life?
Part 3) How often do people today talk and think about death? How does this compare to Jane's period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Jane attends many social gatherings.
Part 1) Describe these social gatherings. What is her opinion of the various gatherings? Why does she feel this way?
Part 2) How important are these social gatherings to Jane? Why? How have social gatherings changed over time? How are they the same?
Part 3) Describe your own social gatherings. Why do you attend them? Do you enjoy them? Why or why not?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)