|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane is disappointed that Cassandra is doing what?
2. Why has Jane been practicing her music instead of writing?
3. Jane Austen writes to her sister, Cassandra, and recounts what?
4. On Monday, a parcel from London arrives. Jane is grateful to Cassandra for the long letter and many gifts, and Mr. Austen is pleased with what?
5. Jane gossips to her sister that Earle Harwood accidentally did what and is in the hospital where his family visits him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
2. How does Jane feel about writing? What does she later do with this statement?
3. How are the plans coming for moving to Bath?
4. How does Jane's first letter begin?
5. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
6. What is mentioned about one of Jane's novels?
7. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
8. What does Jane write regarding Edward?
9. What does Jane tell Cassandra about the ball with fifty people in attendance?
10. What gossip does Jane tell Cassandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane writes many letters.
Part 1) Describe two of the letters in detail. What do they have in common? What is unique about each?
Part 2) What can be learned about Jane through these letters? What can be learned about life in the 1800s through these letters?
Part 3) How has communication between people changed since this period of time? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Jane travels a great deal.
Part 1) Describe the places she travels. How does she come by these opportunities to travel?
Part 2) What do these trips reveal about her family's social status? What do they also reveal about Jane?
Part 3) On what vacations and trips have you been? What did you think about traveling? How does this compare to Jane's experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Jane is very close to her sister Cassandra.
Part 1) Describe the correspondence between these sisters. How do you know they are very close?
Part 2) How does this relationship compare to Jane's relationships with other relatives and friends? Why are these relationships so important to Jane?
Part 3) To whom are you close? Why? How does this relationship affect your life? How does your communication with this loved one compare to Jane's communication with Cassandra?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)