|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane plans to arrive at Goodnestone as Cassandra is leaving and to take her sister's place for several days. Jane's pleasant journey is offset by what?
2. Jane quotes Hester Piozzi in "Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson" in praise of Mr. Deedes' __________.
3. Jane dissuades Cassandra from asking who to escort her to Steventon?
4. Jane writes to her cousin, Miss Walter Seal, in American to offer her condolences on the loss of who?
5. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
2. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
3. Who dies in this section?
4. Why do Edward and Frank leave, according to Jane? What does she wish for Cassandra?
5. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
6. What does Jane say about Miss Chamberlayne?
7. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
8. What is mentioned about one of Jane's novels?
9. What are Mrs. Austen and Jane's plans regarding their living situation?
10. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane does not marry.
Part 1) Describe Jane's relationships with men. Why do none of these relationships lead to marriage?
Part 2) How might she feel about not marrying? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How might her life have been different if she had married? Would it have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
Essay Topic 3
Jane lives in Bath for awhile.
Part 1) Why does she move to Bath? What does she think about Bath? Why?
Part 2) Where else does she live and visit? How do these various places compare? What does she think about her travels? Why?
Part 3) Where have you lived? How does this place or these places affect you?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)