|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Austens' household articles have been ___________ finally.
2. Jane generously allows Mary all of her former admirers for what reason?
3. Jane is very busy making shirts for Edward, and she claims she is the ___________ worker.
4. Mr. Austen offers his ____________ to James Digweed but is refused.
5. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane have to say about Anna's book?
2. Why does Jane thank Cassandra in her next letter?
3. What are two books Jane alludes to in this section?
4. How are the plans coming for moving to Bath?
5. What match does Mrs. Knight promote? What does Jane think of this?
6. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
7. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
8. What is offered to James? What will he do with some of this?
9. What discomfort does Jane express to Cassandra?
10. What does Jane say about her illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane enjoys reading.
Part 1) Describe five of the books she has read. What might these book have in common?
Part 2) Why does Jane mention books she has read? Why is this something important for her to tell others?
Part 3) What might these books reveal about her? What do the books you read reveal about you?
Essay Topic 2
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Jane often talks about illness and the health of those around her.
Part 1) Describe four times when she has discussed someone's health. Why does she discuss this in her letters?
Part 2) What do these discussions reveal about life in the 1800s? Why is Jane so preoccupied with everyone's health?
Part 3) Do you discuss your health or the health of others on a regular basis? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,886 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)