|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane thinks that concealing the intended partnership with Martha Lloyd is __________, referring to Frank's intentions to marry Martha.
2. The house at Bath is finally cleared out and is quite _________.
3. Why does Cassandra need not worry about Penlingtons?
4. Jane writes to her cousin, Miss Walter Seal, in American to offer her condolences on the loss of who?
5. She does not intend to accept her aunt's invitation to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jane's first letter begin?
2. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
3. What is mentioned about one of Jane's novels?
4. What does Jane say about Miss Chamberlayne?
5. How are the plans coming for moving to Bath?
6. How does Jane feel about Mr. Holder?
7. What does Jane tell Cassandra about the ball with fifty people in attendance?
8. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
9. What is Jane's opinion regarding her brother's health? What does the apothecary say about Edward?
10. What are two books Jane alludes to in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane lives in Bath for awhile.
Part 1) Why does she move to Bath? What does she think about Bath? Why?
Part 2) Where else does she live and visit? How do these various places compare? What does she think about her travels? Why?
Part 3) Where have you lived? How does this place or these places affect you?
Essay Topic 2
Jane is a successful author.
Part 1) What novels are described in her letters? What does she say about her work? What are the opinions of others?
Part 2) How might her life and the books she reads influence her writing? How has this helped her to become a successful writer?
Part 3) What did Jane do to promote her novels? How did this affect her popularity as a writer?
Essay Topic 3
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)