|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane has subscribed to whose library of novels and other literature?
2. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
3. She asks Cassandra's advice about what fashion?
4. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
5. Jane and Mrs. Austen are currently in a house in Seymour Street, but Jane went with her uncle to look at two pleasing houses where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What match does Mrs. Knight promote? What does Jane think of this?
2. What news does Jane have of Tom?
3. What does Jane write regarding Edward?
4. What does Jane say about the small ball she attends?
5. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
6. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
7. What is Jane's opinion regarding her brother's health? What does the apothecary say about Edward?
8. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
9. Where are the Bullers headed? What does Jane think of this?
10. What does Jane say about the events taking place in her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane sends copies of her book to various individuals.
Part 1) To whom does she send copies of her books? Why does she do this? How does she benefit from this?
Part 2) What are the opinions of Jane's books? Why do you believe people feel this way about her books?
Part 3) To whom would you send a book you had written? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Austen dies.
Part 1) What does Jane say about his death? How is the family affected by it? How does it change their lives?
Part 2) How are the deaths mentioned in these letters significant? What does it reveal about Jane and her life?
Part 3) How often do people today talk and think about death? How does this compare to Jane's period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Family is important to Jane.
Part 1) Describe Jane's family. How is each member important? Who is the most important? Why?
Part 2) How is this a theme of Jane's letters? Could it be a theme of her novels as well? Why or why not?
Part 3) Is family important to you? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)