|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane is flattered by her sister's commendation of her writing since Jane "writes only for _______________".
2. Jane disdains Robert Southey's "Letters from England" as horribly ______________.
3. She attends a party at the Cookes' but there is scarcely any what there?
4. What happened to both Mrs. Coulthard and Anne?
5. Jane is disappointed that Cassandra is doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
2. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
3. How are the plans coming for moving to Bath?
4. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
5. What is offered to James? What will he do with some of this?
6. Why do Edward and Frank leave, according to Jane? What does she wish for Cassandra?
7. What news does Jane have of Tom?
8. What are Mrs. Austen and Jane's plans regarding their living situation?
9. What gossip does Jane tell Cassandra?
10. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A great deal can be learned about Jane Austen from reading these letters.
Part 1) Name four things that can be learned about Jane from reading her letters. How might she compare to other women at this time?
Part 2) How does she compare to people today? Can a reader today relate to Jane's life? Why or why not?
Part 3) What could be learned about you by reading your e-mails, instant messages, voicemails, etc.?
Essay Topic 2
Jane is opinionated.
Part 1) About what is Jane opinionated? How do you know this? What does this reveal about her personality and upbringing?
Part 2) Do you agree with her opinions? Why or why not? What might others think of her opinion? Why?
Part 3) About what are you opinionated? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)