|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The household items sold well, though Jane is unhappy with the price she got for what?
2. Jane finds the parties stupid for what reason?
3. Mrs. Austen and Jane want to settle in at Chawton before October when Henry will do what?
4. Mrs. Austen plans to move where?
5. Jane writes to her cousin, Miss Walter Seal, in American to offer her condolences on the loss of who?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
2. What match does Mrs. Knight promote? What does Jane think of this?
3. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
4. Why do Edward and Frank leave, according to Jane? What does she wish for Cassandra?
5. What does Jane say about Miss Chamberlayne?
6. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
7. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
8. Where are the Bullers headed? What does Jane think of this?
9. What news does Jane have of Tom?
10. What discomfort does Jane express to Cassandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane often talks about illness and the health of those around her.
Part 1) Describe four times when she has discussed someone's health. Why does she discuss this in her letters?
Part 2) What do these discussions reveal about life in the 1800s? Why is Jane so preoccupied with everyone's health?
Part 3) Do you discuss your health or the health of others on a regular basis? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
Essay Topic 3
Jane encounters obstacles as a writer.
Part 1) Describe Jane's works. What obstacles does she encounter? How does she handle these obstacles?
Part 2) Why do these obstacles occur? Could they have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 3) What obstacles have you encountered in your own life? How did you deal with these obstacles?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)