|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane is flattered by her sister's commendation of her writing since Jane "writes only for _______________".
2. Jane generously allows Mary all of her former admirers for what reason?
3. Mrs. Knight promotes a match between Jane and Mr. Papillon, and Jane jokes that she will marry him despite his or her own reluctance because of what reason?
4. Why does Anne give notice to discontinue her employment for the Austens?
5. Jane laments losing what of her mother's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the plans coming for moving to Bath?
2. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
3. What does Jane write regarding Edward?
4. What match does Mrs. Knight promote? What does Jane think of this?
5. How does Jane's first letter begin?
6. Why does Jane thank Cassandra in her next letter?
7. What does Jane say about the small ball she attends?
8. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
9. Where are the Bullers headed? What does Jane think of this?
10. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane encounters obstacles as a writer.
Part 1) Describe Jane's works. What obstacles does she encounter? How does she handle these obstacles?
Part 2) Why do these obstacles occur? Could they have been prevented? Why or why not?
Part 3) What obstacles have you encountered in your own life? How did you deal with these obstacles?
Essay Topic 2
A great deal can be learned about Jane Austen from reading these letters.
Part 1) Name four things that can be learned about Jane from reading her letters. How might she compare to other women at this time?
Part 2) How does she compare to people today? Can a reader today relate to Jane's life? Why or why not?
Part 3) What could be learned about you by reading your e-mails, instant messages, voicemails, etc.?
Essay Topic 3
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)