|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane sees Miss Chamberlayne perform _____________, which reminds her of Miss Lefroy's performance.
2. The apothecary believes that Edward did what?
3. Jane is pleased to tell Cassandra what about their mother?
4. Jane finds the parties stupid for what reason?
5. Jane is pleased with Miss Fletcher for drinking her tea without ______________ and for her admiration of "Camilla".
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane tell Cassandra about the ball with fifty people in attendance?
2. What gossip does Jane tell Cassandra?
3. Why does Jane thank Cassandra in her next letter?
4. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
5. What discomfort does Jane express to Cassandra?
6. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
7. How are the plans coming for moving to Bath?
8. How does Jane feel about writing? What does she later do with this statement?
9. What are Mrs. Austen and Jane's plans regarding their living situation?
10. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
Essay Topic 2
Mr. Austen dies.
Part 1) What does Jane say about his death? How is the family affected by it? How does it change their lives?
Part 2) How are the deaths mentioned in these letters significant? What does it reveal about Jane and her life?
Part 3) How often do people today talk and think about death? How does this compare to Jane's period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Jane travels a great deal.
Part 1) Describe the places she travels. How does she come by these opportunities to travel?
Part 2) What do these trips reveal about her family's social status? What do they also reveal about Jane?
Part 3) On what vacations and trips have you been? What did you think about traveling? How does this compare to Jane's experiences?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)