|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sophie is happy with what that Lizzy sends her?
2. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
3. A rumor circulates that Charles is bringing who home?
4. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
5. Jane dissuades Cassandra from asking who to escort her to Steventon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jane thank Cassandra in her next letter?
2. What does Jane say about the small ball she attends?
3. Describe Jane's trip to Paragon.
4. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
5. What does Jane tell Cassandra about the ball with fifty people in attendance?
6. What does Jane write regarding Edward?
7. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
8. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
9. What match does Mrs. Knight promote? What does Jane think of this?
10. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane does not marry.
Part 1) Describe Jane's relationships with men. Why do none of these relationships lead to marriage?
Part 2) How might she feel about not marrying? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How might her life have been different if she had married? Would it have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jane gives advice to other female writers.
Part 1) What advice does she give? Why does she give advice? What is your opinion of this advice?
Part 2) How else is Jane opinionated? What do her opinions reveal about her personality?
Part 3) About what are you opinionated? What does this reveal about your personality?
Essay Topic 3
Jane attends many social gatherings.
Part 1) Describe these social gatherings. What is her opinion of the various gatherings? Why does she feel this way?
Part 2) How important are these social gatherings to Jane? Why? How have social gatherings changed over time? How are they the same?
Part 3) Describe your own social gatherings. Why do you attend them? Do you enjoy them? Why or why not?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)