|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane was alone with Mr. Holder at Ashe Park for ten minutes, which was very _______________.
2. When does Jane retract this statement?
3. Frank plans to go to Godmersham while Cassandra visits _______________.
4. Jane sees Miss Chamberlayne perform _____________, which reminds her of Miss Lefroy's performance.
5. As what does Jane refer to Mr. Evelyn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
2. How does Jane's first letter begin?
3. What discomfort does Jane express to Cassandra?
4. How does Jane feel about Mr. Holder?
5. Why does Jane thank Cassandra in her next letter?
6. Why do Edward and Frank leave, according to Jane? What does she wish for Cassandra?
7. What is Jane's opinion regarding her brother's health? What does the apothecary say about Edward?
8. What gossip does Jane tell Cassandra?
9. What does Jane say about the events taking place in her life?
10. What is offered to James? What will he do with some of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jane Austen enjoys gossip.
Part 1) Describe this gossip. Why is this gossip included in many of her letters? What is her reason for telling others this gossip?
Part 2) How is this gossip like our own? How is it different?
Part 3) When have you gossiped? Why did you gossip? How does this help you relate to Jane?
Essay Topic 2
Jane's letters often have similar themes.
Part 1) What are three of these themes that are found in most of her letters. How are they themes?
Part 2) How can you relate to these themes? How might these themes also be found in her books?
Part 3) Are these themes important today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jane travels a great deal.
Part 1) Describe the places she travels. How does she come by these opportunities to travel?
Part 2) What do these trips reveal about her family's social status? What do they also reveal about Jane?
Part 3) On what vacations and trips have you been? What did you think about traveling? How does this compare to Jane's experiences?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)