|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane Austen writes to her sister, Cassandra, and recounts what?
2. Jane sees Isaac Bickerstaffe's play, "The Hypocrite", which is taken from Moliere's _____________.
3. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
4. Jane gossips to her sister that Earle Harwood accidentally did what and is in the hospital where his family visits him?
5. Jane quotes Hester Piozzi in "Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson" in praise of Mr. Deedes' __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
2. What does Jane say about Charles? Why might she say this?
3. What discomfort does Jane express to Cassandra?
4. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
5. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
6. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
7. How does Jane feel about writing? What does she later do with this statement?
8. Why does Jane offer her former admirers to Mary? How does this situation end differently than she had initially expected?
9. Why does Jane praise Mrs. West?
10. What does Jane say about her journey?
Essay Topic 1
Jane does not marry.
Part 1) Describe Jane's relationships with men. Why do none of these relationships lead to marriage?
Part 2) How might she feel about not marrying? Use the text to support your response.
Part 3) How might her life have been different if she had married? Would it have been better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Jane sends copies of her book to various individuals.
Part 1) To whom does she send copies of her books? Why does she do this? How does she benefit from this?
Part 2) What are the opinions of Jane's books? Why do you believe people feel this way about her books?
Part 3) To whom would you send a book you had written? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jane lives in Bath for awhile.
Part 1) Why does she move to Bath? What does she think about Bath? Why?
Part 2) Where else does she live and visit? How do these various places compare? What does she think about her travels? Why?
Part 3) Where have you lived? How does this place or these places affect you?
This section contains 1,903 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)