|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
(a) Edward Knight.
(b) Cassandra Austen.
(c) Frank Austen.
(d) Henry Austen.
2. Jane's reference to Methuselah in her letter to Fanny Knight proves her familiarity with what?
(c) The Bible.
(d) Old stories.
3. She reads William Cowper's __________________ and Boswell's "Life of Johnson".
(a) Olney Hymns.
(c) Sacred Harp.
(d) Epitaph on a Hare.
4. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
(b) Aunt Jane.
(c) Mrs. Austen.
(d) Aunt Cassandra.
5. Jane praises Anna's manuscript, comparing it to Burney's ____________.
(c) The Wanderer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane goes to see the play "Isabella, or the Fatal Marriage" by David Garrick but is not pleased with what?
2. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
3. Jane is pleased that __________________ of "Sense and Sensibility" sell.
4. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
5. Jane is unable to do what while Cassandra is gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane write to Anna Lefroy regarding Mrs. Creed?
2. Why does Jane praise Mrs. West?
3. Describe Jane's trip with Henry to Chawton.
4. What is taking place with many of Jane's family members at this time?
5. What does Jane say about Mr. Crabbe?
6. What does Jane do regarding Anna's manuscript?
7. What does Jane say about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing of "Merchant of Venice?"
8. What does Jane do regarding Fanny's possible marriage?
9. What does Jane have to say about Anna's book?
10. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)