|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane writes to Caroline Austen, praising what?
(a) Her speed in producing stories.
(b) Her comic writing.
(c) Her exciting plots.
(d) The details in her stories.
2. Jane believes that Fanny likes him enough to marry, but not enough to do what?
(a) Marry now.
(b) Stay married.
3. Fanny Knight's visit makes Jane quite happy and she notices that Fanny is affected by what?
(a) The sight of the children.
(b) The weather.
(c) The long journey.
(d) An illness.
4. John Murray advises Jane of what?
(a) The manuscript that is due.
(b) The proper place to situate a dedication in a book.
(c) The amount she owes him.
(d) A book signing he scheduled.
5. Why does Jane lament Fanny's pending marriage?
(a) Because the single life suits Fanny.
(b) Because Fanny does not love her fiance.
(c) Because she does not care for Fanny's fiance.
(d) Because Fanny will no longer write to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry is promoted and does not feel the loss of who so badly because he is used to being away from her?
2. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
3. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
4. Jane does not want Henry to take her to town but admits that she cannot say "no" if he offers. Why?
5. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
2. What book does Jane plan to read? Why?
3. What does Jane say about the Cookes?
4. What does Jane write to Caroline Austen?
5. Describe Jane's trip with Henry to Chawton.
6. What does Jane say about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing of "Merchant of Venice?"
7. What does Jane do regarding Fanny's possible marriage?
8. What does Jane write to Anna Lefroy regarding Mrs. Creed?
9. Why is Jane determined to raise money?
10. What are two books Jane reads at this time?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)