|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane is pleased to tell Cassandra what about their mother?
(a) She has had another child.
(b) She has not had a relapse and is doing much better.
(c) She has written a book.
(d) She has come for a visit.
2. Jane quotes Hester Piozzi in "Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson" in praise of Mr. Deedes' __________.
(a) Singing abilities.
(b) Acting abilities.
(c) Speaking abilities.
(d) Writing abilities.
3. Jane finds the parties stupid for what reason?
(a) They are dull and boring.
(b) They are too pretentious.
(c) They are so small, and she thinks the people are disagreeable.
(d) They are too large and crowded.
4. Why does Jane not expect letters from Cassandra until she receives them?
(a) To avoid disappointment.
(b) Cassandra is often too busy to write.
(c) Jane forgets about Cassandra.
(d) Cassandra is not consistent about writing.
5. Why does Jane call on most of their neighbors?
(a) Because of the warm weather.
(b) Because she is feeling better.
(c) Because she is bored.
(d) Because she likes her neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Knight promotes a match between Jane and Mr. Papillon, and Jane jokes that she will marry him despite his or her own reluctance because of what reason?
2. Jane is flattered by her sister's commendation of her writing since Jane "writes only for _______________".
3. Why is Jane anxious to go home?
4. She praises Tom, mentioning that his only fault is what?
5. Jane generously allows Mary all of her former admirers for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Jane have of Tom?
2. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
3. What does Jane say about the small ball she attends?
4. What does Jane say about the events taking place in her life?
5. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
6. Who dies in this section?
7. Why do Edward and Frank leave, according to Jane? What does she wish for Cassandra?
8. What is mentioned about one of Jane's novels?
9. What match does Mrs. Knight promote? What does Jane think of this?
10. What does Jane say about Southampton?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)