|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The answer to number 27 is in reference to what book?
(a) Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal."
(b) Jonathan Swift's "Drapier's Letters."
(c) Jonathan Swift's "A Journal to Stella."
(d) Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels".
2. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
(a) The snow.
(b) The wind.
(c) The rain.
(d) The heat.
3. Jane writes to Crosby, a publisher, complaining about what?
(a) She received a poorly-printed copy of her novel, "Susan."
(b) She had never received the ten pounds he owed her for her novel, "Susan" six years previously.
(c) She had never heard from him regarding her novel, "Susan."
(d) She received ten pounds for the publication of her novel "Susan" six years previously, but it was never published.
4. Jane hopes to see Cassandra soon, and praises James as what?
(a) A great friend.
(b) A wonderful horseman.
(c) A useful "man of letters".
(d) A help around the house.
5. Jane is thrilled with her and Cassandra's newest what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane complains that people are ____________ in this neighborhood.
2. Jane jokingly wishes Edward a "happy thirtieth birthday", although it is actually his ____________ birthday.
3. Jane disdains Robert Southey's "Letters from England" as horribly ______________.
4. Jane feels certain that Frank's promotion would have solicited more appointments if he had been where at the time?
5. When Mr. Austen inquires about Tom, she tells him that her nephew is studying for _____________ in London and sends his regrets to Mrs. Austen on her illness.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mrs. Austen and Jane's plans regarding their living situation?
2. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
3. What news does Jane have of Tom?
4. What does Jane say about Southampton?
5. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
6. How does Jane feel about writing? What does she later do with this statement?
7. What does Jane think about the secret relationship between Frank and Martha Lloyd?
8. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
9. What does Jane write regarding Edward?
10. What does Jane say about the small ball she attends?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)