|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane writes to Crosby, a publisher, complaining about what?
(a) She had never received the ten pounds he owed her for her novel, "Susan" six years previously.
(b) She received ten pounds for the publication of her novel "Susan" six years previously, but it was never published.
(c) She received a poorly-printed copy of her novel, "Susan."
(d) She had never heard from him regarding her novel, "Susan."
2. A rumor circulates that Charles is bringing who home?
(a) The 'Witch.'
(b) The 'Queen.'
(c) The 'Goddess.'
(d) The 'Cleopatra.'
3. Jane praises her sister's ______________ writing in her last correspondence.
4. Why is Godmersham uncomfortable?
(a) Jane has no friends.
(b) Jane must share a bed.
(c) Cassandra is not there.
(d) Jane's room is small.
5. Jane is upset that Cassandra will not be doing what with their mother and herself?
(a) Going to Barnsley.
(b) Going to Bath.
(c) Going to Beckenham.
(d) Going to Berkhamsted.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
2. Jane dissuades Cassandra from asking who to escort her to Steventon?
3. Jane is pleased by Ly Gordon's manners, but thinks Ly Elizabeth and Miss Hatton have _________ to say.
4. She does not intend to accept her aunt's invitation to what?
5. Who is dangerously ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is said regarding Mr. Austen's death?
2. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
3. Where are the Bullers headed? What does Jane think of this?
4. How does Jane feel about writing? What does she later do with this statement?
5. What does Jane write regarding Edward?
6. On what does Jane update Cassandra?
7. What is Jane's opinion regarding her brother's health? What does the apothecary say about Edward?
8. What is a play that Jane sees in this section?
9. How does Jane's first letter begin?
10. What gossip does Jane tell Cassandra?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)