|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Knight promotes a match between Jane and Mr. Papillon, and Jane jokes that she will marry him despite his or her own reluctance because of what reason?
(a) The good lady's interest in the matter.
(b) Jane wants to be married.
(c) He is wealthy.
(d) Jane loves his home.
2. Mr. Austen offers his ____________ to James Digweed but is refused.
(c) Blacksmith shop.
(d) Carpentry shop.
3. Jane sees Miss Chamberlayne perform _____________, which reminds her of Miss Lefroy's performance.
(a) In a play.
(b) On horseback.
(c) In an opera.
(d) In a ballet.
4. Jane Austen writes to her sister, Cassandra, and recounts what?
(a) The previous night's symphony performance.
(b) The previous night's ball.
(c) Her recent illness.
(d) Her trip to London.
5. Jane writes her niece, Anna, and expresses her interest in the ______ family from Anna's novel, "Tarefield Abbey."
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane sees Isaac Bickerstaffe's play, "The Hypocrite", which is taken from Moliere's _____________.
2. Jane praises her sister's ______________ writing in her last correspondence.
3. She has read Sarah Harriet Burney's "Clarentine" and finds it how?
4. Jane quotes Hester Piozzi in "Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson" in praise of Mr. Deedes' __________.
5. She refers to her work, "First Impressions", which would later become what novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discomfort does Jane express to Cassandra?
2. What does Jane do regarding Anna's manuscript?
3. How is Henry feeling at this point?
4. What does Jane do at the end of this section? Why?
5. What does Jane receive from Cassandra? How do Jane and her father feel about this?
6. What health news does Jane give in her letter?
7. What does Jane say about the events taking place in her life?
8. What is taking place with many of Jane's family members at this time?
9. What does Jane say about her stay with Mrs. Knight?
10. What does Jane do regarding Fanny's possible marriage?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)