|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane, her sister and brothers intend to do what together?
(b) Form a musical group.
(c) Throw a ball.
2. She is determined to raise money for what which is to be printed at her expense?
(a) The first printing of "Sense and Sensibility."
(b) The first printing of "Persuasion."
(c) The second printing of "Sense and Sensibility"
(d) The second printing of "Persuasion."
3. Mr. John Murray, a London publisher, offers Jane how many pounds for "Emma" and the copyrights to "Mansfield Park" and "Sense and Sensibility?"
(a) Two hundred fifty.
(b) Three hundred fifty.
(c) One hundred fifty.
(d) Four hundred fifty.
4. Jane is thrilled with the praise that she hears about what novel from Lady Robert and Mr. Hastings?
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) Northanger Abbey.
5. Jane praises Eaton Stannard Barrett's "The Heroine" as being amusingly written in what style?
(a) The Evelyn.
(b) The Pepys.
(c) The Goldsmith.
(d) The Radcliffe.
6. Jane tells John Murray that she is happy with Sir Walter Scott's review of "Emma" in the Quarterly Review, but she is displeased about what?
(a) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" did not have such a favorable review.
(b) That is was so short.
(c) That no one else reviewed it.
(d) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" is not mentioned.
7. Jane answers Anna's specific questions regarding the accuracy and title of the manuscript, and she suggests that Anna omit the postscript because of what reason?
(a) It is ridiculous.
(b) It does not make sense.
(c) It appears to imitate "Pride and Prejudice."
(d) It appears to imitate "Sense and Sensibility."
8. She is frightened at the thought that who wants to be introduced to her?
(a) Miss Bordeaux.
(b) Miss Bennett.
(c) Miss Babcock.
(d) Miss Burdett.
9. Jane does not want Henry to take her to town but admits that she cannot say "no" if he offers. Why?
(a) Because she would not want to hurt his feelings.
(b) Because it is a thoughtful offer.
(c) Because he rarely offers her anything.
(d) Because he would be upset if she said no.
10. She writes to Caroline Austen, apologizing that she has not yet done what?
(a) Come for a visit.
(b) Written a book about her.
(c) Read Caroline's manuscript.
(d) Sent her a copy of "Pride and Prejudice."
11. Mrs. Austen is not well but would be glad to see Caroline, especially next Saturday, which is what?
(a) Jane Austen's birthday and the date of a ball.
(b) Mary Jane's birthday and the date of a fair.
(c) Cassandra's birthday and the performance of a new opera.
(d) Mrs. Austen's birthday.
12. Jane is happy when "Sense and Sensibility" is advertised and happy with Miss Sharpe's flattery that "Pride and Prejudice" is read where?
(a) In Wales.
(b) In Scotland.
(c) In France.
(d) In Ireland.
13. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
14. Jane spends a comfortable hour where?
(a) At Gryffindor House.
(b) At Geophrey House.
(c) At Grafton House.
(d) At Gaynor House.
15. The apothecary arrives to do what?
(a) Bleed Henry.
(b) Deliver Henry's medication.
(c) Examine Henry.
(d) Give Henry medication.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane writes to Caroline Austen, praising what?
2. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
3. Edward does well at Chawton with what?
4. She also states that she just found out that Mr. Crabbe was married when what happened?
5. She suspects that Charles will arrive today and he arrives when?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)