|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane writes Charles that she is ill and what has made her worse?
(a) Her inability to write.
(b) Her uncle's will.
(c) The cold weather.
(d) Her mother's worrying.
2. Mr. John Murray, a London publisher, offers Jane how many pounds for "Emma" and the copyrights to "Mansfield Park" and "Sense and Sensibility?"
(a) Three hundred fifty.
(b) Two hundred fifty.
(c) One hundred fifty.
(d) Four hundred fifty.
3. Jane writes to her niece, Fanny Knight, declaring that she knows that Fanny is not what?
(a) Getting married.
(b) In love.
4. She visits the Fagg family and describes who?
(a) The plain daughters.
(b) The kind daughters.
(c) The beautiful daughters.
(d) The mean daughters.
5. Jane tells John Murray that she is happy with Sir Walter Scott's review of "Emma" in the Quarterly Review, but she is displeased about what?
(a) That is was so short.
(b) That no one else reviewed it.
(c) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" did not have such a favorable review.
(d) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" is not mentioned.
6. Jane congratulates her niece on becoming what?
(a) An aunt.
(b) A mother.
(c) A godmother.
(d) A sister.
7. Jane complains about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing "Merchant of Venice" by saying that people who are _____________ are capable of all sorts of evil.
(a) Poor actors.
(c) Not musically inclined.
(d) Poor writers.
8. She reads William Cowper's __________________ and Boswell's "Life of Johnson".
(b) Sacred Harp.
(c) Epitaph on a Hare.
(d) Olney Hymns.
9. Jane makes ___________ pounds from the sale of the books and the sale of the copyright.
(a) One hundred and fifty.
(b) Four hundred and fifty.
(c) Two hundred and fifty.
(d) Three hundred and fifty.
10. She advises Fanny against marrying Mr. J. P. because of what reason?
(a) He is old.
(b) He is poor.
(c) The wedding would be far off.
(d) He does not love her.
11. Mrs. Austen is not well but would be glad to see Caroline, especially next Saturday, which is what?
(a) Cassandra's birthday and the performance of a new opera.
(b) Mrs. Austen's birthday.
(c) Jane Austen's birthday and the date of a ball.
(d) Mary Jane's birthday and the date of a fair.
12. She discusses Sir Joshua Reynold's _______________ and Henry Aston Baker's collection, "Triumph of Perspective".
(b) Female portraits.
(c) Still lifes.
13. Little Harriet is ill and the doctor states that she has what?
(c) A fever.
(d) Water on the brain.
14. Fanny Knight praises what characters?
(a) Fanny Price and Edmund Bertram's.
(b) Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth's.
(c) Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy's.
(d) Elinor and Marianne Dashwood's.
15. She accepts an invitation to visit who and wants Cassandra to join her there?
(a) The Smiths.
(b) The Williams.
(c) The Thomas.
(d) The Cookes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane yearns to see whose exhibition as well?
2. She writes to Caroline Austen, apologizing that she has not yet done what?
3. Jane is unable to do what while Cassandra is gone?
4. She is frightened at the thought that who wants to be introduced to her?
5. Why does Jane lament Fanny's pending marriage?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)