|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
2. Frank's visit is delayed by what?
(a) Naval business.
(b) The weather.
(c) Family business.
(d) Army business.
3. Jane tells Caroline that Mary Jane passed her time at Chawton pleasantly and is surprised about what?
(a) She does not miss Cassy as much as she expected she would.
(b) Mary Jane is returning home so soon.
(c) She does not miss writing.
(d) Cassy has not arrived yet.
4. Jane tells John Murray that she is happy with Sir Walter Scott's review of "Emma" in the Quarterly Review, but she is displeased about what?
(a) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" did not have such a favorable review.
(b) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" is not mentioned.
(c) That is was so short.
(d) That no one else reviewed it.
5. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
(b) Avoid many visits that she did not plan to enjoy.
(d) Write without interruption.
6. She also states that she just found out that Mr. Crabbe was married when what happened?
(a) His wife divorced him.
(b) His wife died.
(c) His wife arrived.
(d) His wife called.
7. Why is Jane not impressed with "The Farmer's Wife?"
(a) Because of all of the acting.
(b) Because of Miss S.'s singing and acting.
(c) Because of Miss S.'s dancing.
(d) Because of Miss S.'s monologue.
8. She regrets that she is unlikely to visit Hendon, Anna's new home. Why can she not visit?
(a) The weather is poor.
(b) She does not want to visit.
(c) She is too busy.
(d) She is ill.
9. Jane answers Anna's specific questions regarding the accuracy and title of the manuscript, and she suggests that Anna omit the postscript because of what reason?
(a) It is ridiculous.
(b) It appears to imitate "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) It appears to imitate "Sense and Sensibility."
(d) It does not make sense.
10. Jane believes that Fanny likes him enough to marry, but not enough to do what?
(b) Stay married.
(d) Marry now.
11. Jane yearns to see whose exhibition as well?
(a) Sir Jacob Riley.
(b) Sir James Rowland's.
(c) Sir Joshua Reynold's.
(d) Sir John Raymer.
12. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
13. Jane praises Caroline's handwriting and what story?
(c) North Carolina.
14. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
(a) His mother.
(b) John Murray.
(c) The king.
(d) The prince regent.
15. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
(a) Edward Knight.
(b) Cassandra Austen.
(c) Henry Austen.
(d) Frank Austen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane congratulates her niece on becoming what?
2. Jane writes to Anna saying that her eyes are weak and it is well that they did not weaken sooner or she could not have assisted in making what?
3. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
4. She advises Fanny against marrying Mr. J. P. because of what reason?
5. Jane does not want Henry to take her to town but admits that she cannot say "no" if he offers. Why?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)