|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fanny Knight praises what characters?
(a) Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy's.
(b) Elinor and Marianne Dashwood's.
(c) Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth's.
(d) Fanny Price and Edmund Bertram's.
2. Jane is pleased that __________________ of "Sense and Sensibility" sell.
(a) Some copies.
(b) All copies.
(c) A few copies.
(d) Most copies.
3. Jane is also displeased with the final chapter and advises her niece to stick to what she knows. What does she believe her niece knows?
4. She accepts an invitation to visit who and wants Cassandra to join her there?
(a) The Cookes.
(b) The Williams.
(c) The Smiths.
(d) The Thomas.
5. Mr. John Murray, a London publisher, offers Jane how many pounds for "Emma" and the copyrights to "Mansfield Park" and "Sense and Sensibility?"
(a) Two hundred fifty.
(b) One hundred fifty.
(c) Three hundred fifty.
(d) Four hundred fifty.
6. Jane answers Anna's specific questions regarding the accuracy and title of the manuscript, and she suggests that Anna omit the postscript because of what reason?
(a) It is ridiculous.
(b) It appears to imitate "Sense and Sensibility."
(c) It appears to imitate "Pride and Prejudice."
(d) It does not make sense.
7. Jane spends most of her time _________________ and anxiously awaiting Edward's arrival next Tuesday.
(a) Working or reading.
(b) Practicing her music.
8. Jane's reference to Methuselah in her letter to Fanny Knight proves her familiarity with what?
(c) Old stories.
(d) The Bible.
9. Jane writes Charles that she is ill and what has made her worse?
(a) Her mother's worrying.
(b) Her uncle's will.
(c) Her inability to write.
(d) The cold weather.
10. Jane, her sister and brothers intend to do what together?
(a) Form a musical group.
(b) Throw a ball.
11. Jane is unable to do what while Cassandra is gone?
12. She advises Fanny against marrying Mr. J. P. because of what reason?
(a) The wedding would be far off.
(b) He does not love her.
(c) He is old.
(d) He is poor.
13. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
(c) Avoid many visits that she did not plan to enjoy.
(d) Write without interruption.
14. Henry takes Jane to see _______________, and Jane is pleased at a small portrait of "Mrs. Bingley", like "Portrait of a Lady" by J. F. M. Huet-Villiers.
(a) The Exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery.
(b) The Exhibition at Hyde Park.
(c) The Exhibition in Spring Gardens.
(d) The Exhibition at London Tower.
15. Jane writes James-Edward Austen to congratulate him on what?
(a) His acceptance into Cambridge.
(b) His marriage.
(d) His daughter's birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
2. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
3. She is uncertain as to whether there will be a second edition of what novel?
4. John Murray advises Jane of what?
5. She encourages Caroline to practice music but reminds her to do what?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)