|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Murray advises Jane of what?
(a) A book signing he scheduled.
(b) The manuscript that is due.
(c) The amount she owes him.
(d) The proper place to situate a dedication in a book.
2. Jane believes that Henry will marry who soon?
(b) Miss Sharpe.
(c) His Hanwell favorite.
(d) A Duchess.
3. She is uncertain as to whether there will be a second edition of what novel?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Mansfield Park.
4. Jane goes to see the play "Isabella, or the Fatal Marriage" by David Garrick but is not pleased with what?
(a) The set.
(b) The script.
(c) The acting.
(d) The lighting.
5. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
6. Jane writes James-Edward Austen to congratulate him on what?
(a) His acceptance into Cambridge.
(b) His marriage.
(c) His daughter's birth.
7. Mrs. Austen is not well but would be glad to see Caroline, especially next Saturday, which is what?
(a) Jane Austen's birthday and the date of a ball.
(b) Mary Jane's birthday and the date of a fair.
(c) Cassandra's birthday and the performance of a new opera.
(d) Mrs. Austen's birthday.
8. Jane is also displeased with the final chapter and advises her niece to stick to what she knows. What does she believe her niece knows?
9. Jane yearns to see whose exhibition as well?
(a) Sir Joshua Reynold's.
(b) Sir Jacob Riley.
(c) Sir James Rowland's.
(d) Sir John Raymer.
10. Edward does well at Chawton with what?
(d) Her mercantile business.
11. Frank's visit is delayed by what?
(a) Family business.
(b) Naval business.
(c) Army business.
(d) The weather.
12. Jane's reference to Methuselah in her letter to Fanny Knight proves her familiarity with what?
(c) The Bible.
(d) Old stories.
13. Jane, her sister and brothers intend to do what together?
(a) Form a musical group.
(d) Throw a ball.
14. Jane congratulates her niece on becoming what?
(a) A godmother.
(b) A mother.
(c) An aunt.
(d) A sister.
15. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
(a) Avoid many visits that she did not plan to enjoy.
(c) Write without interruption.
Short Answer Questions
1. She encourages Caroline to practice music but reminds her to do what?
2. Jane is unable to do what while Cassandra is gone?
3. She discusses Sir Joshua Reynold's _______________ and Henry Aston Baker's collection, "Triumph of Perspective".
4. Jane is thrilled with the praise that she hears about what novel from Lady Robert and Mr. Hastings?
5. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)