|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
(a) She is dyslexic.
(b) She is not feeling well.
(c) She is trying to trick Cassandra-Esten.
(d) It is a code developed between Cassandra-Esten and Jane.
2. Jane writes to her niece, Fanny Knight, declaring that she knows that Fanny is not what?
(a) In love.
(d) Getting married.
3. Who is the most comfortable and successful member of the Austen family?
4. She suspects that Charles will arrive today and he arrives when?
(a) At seven in the evening.
(b) At seven in the morning.
(c) At six in the evening.
(d) At six in the morning.
5. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
(a) John Murray.
(b) The king.
(c) The prince regent.
(d) His mother.
6. She accepts an invitation to visit who and wants Cassandra to join her there?
(a) The Smiths.
(b) The Williams.
(c) The Cookes.
(d) The Thomas.
7. Jane's reference to Methuselah in her letter to Fanny Knight proves her familiarity with what?
(a) Old stories.
(d) The Bible.
8. Jane writes to Anna Lefroy nee Austen that Mrs. Creed's opinion is now less important to her because of what reason?
(a) Her disapprobation of "Mansfield Park."
(b) Her behavior at the last ball.
(c) Her comment about "Pride and Prejudice."
(d) Her marriage to Mr. Creed.
9. She visits the Fagg family and describes who?
(a) The kind daughters.
(b) The mean daughters.
(c) The plain daughters.
(d) The beautiful daughters.
10. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
11. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
(b) Avoid many visits that she did not plan to enjoy.
(d) Write without interruption.
12. Jane congratulates her niece on becoming what?
(a) A sister.
(b) A godmother.
(c) An aunt.
(d) A mother.
13. Jane tells Cassandra that Henry is home and ___________ than she thought.
14. Jane quips that she will comfort who?
(a) No one in his family.
(b) His wife.
(c) His children but not him.
(d) Him but not his children.
15. Jane praises Eaton Stannard Barrett's "The Heroine" as being amusingly written in what style?
(a) The Goldsmith.
(b) The Pepys.
(c) The Evelyn.
(d) The Radcliffe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
2. She hopes that Sir William will marry who?
3. Jane writes Charles Thomas Haden to thank him for what?
4. Jane complains about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing "Merchant of Venice" by saying that people who are _____________ are capable of all sorts of evil.
5. Jane threatens to write an imitation of what in retaliation?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)