|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane plans to read Robert Southey's "Life of Nelson" for what reason?
(a) She enjoyed his previous book.
(b) She has heard this book is good.
(c) Frank is mentioned in it.
(d) He asked her to read it.
2. Fanny Knight's visit makes Jane quite happy and she notices that Fanny is affected by what?
(a) The sight of the children.
(b) The weather.
(c) An illness.
(d) The long journey.
3. Fanny Knight praises what characters?
(a) Fanny Price and Edmund Bertram's.
(b) Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy's.
(c) Elinor and Marianne Dashwood's.
(d) Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth's.
4. She encourages Caroline to practice music but reminds her to do what?
(b) Not forget her writing.
(c) Find a husband.
(d) Take care of Jane's piano forte.
5. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
(a) His mother.
(b) The prince regent.
(c) The king.
(d) John Murray.
6. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
(a) Edward Knight.
(b) Henry Austen.
(c) Cassandra Austen.
(d) Frank Austen.
7. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
(a) Aunt Jane.
(b) Mrs. Austen.
(c) Aunt Cassandra.
8. Jane praises Anna's manuscript, comparing it to Burney's ____________.
(c) The Wanderer.
9. Jane is also displeased with the final chapter and advises her niece to stick to what she knows. What does she believe her niece knows?
10. Jane does not want Henry to take her to town but admits that she cannot say "no" if he offers. Why?
(a) Because it is a thoughtful offer.
(b) Because he rarely offers her anything.
(c) Because she would not want to hurt his feelings.
(d) Because he would be upset if she said no.
11. The apothecary arrives to do what?
(a) Examine Henry.
(b) Bleed Henry.
(c) Deliver Henry's medication.
(d) Give Henry medication.
12. Why does Jane lament Fanny's pending marriage?
(a) Because Fanny does not love her fiance.
(b) Because she does not care for Fanny's fiance.
(c) Because the single life suits Fanny.
(d) Because Fanny will no longer write to her.
13. Edward does well at Chawton with what?
(c) Her mercantile business.
14. Mrs. Austen is not well but would be glad to see Caroline, especially next Saturday, which is what?
(a) Cassandra's birthday and the performance of a new opera.
(b) Mary Jane's birthday and the date of a fair.
(c) Mrs. Austen's birthday.
(d) Jane Austen's birthday and the date of a ball.
15. Jane complains about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing "Merchant of Venice" by saying that people who are _____________ are capable of all sorts of evil.
(a) Poor actors.
(b) Poor writers.
(c) Not musically inclined.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane writes to James Stanier Clarke, asking permission to do what?
2. Jane quips that she will comfort who?
3. Was Anna's manuscript ever completed or published?
4. Jane, her sister and brothers intend to do what together?
5. Henry takes Jane to see _______________, and Jane is pleased at a small portrait of "Mrs. Bingley", like "Portrait of a Lady" by J. F. M. Huet-Villiers.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)