|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane writes to her niece, Fanny Knight, declaring that she knows that Fanny is not what?
(a) Getting married.
(d) In love.
2. Jane writes to James Stanier Clarke, asking permission to do what?
(a) Dedicate "Emma" to the prince regent.
(b) Have "Emma" published.
(c) Send him a copy of "Emma."
(d) Write another novel.
3. She writes to Caroline Austen, apologizing that she has not yet done what?
(a) Sent her a copy of "Pride and Prejudice."
(b) Written a book about her.
(c) Come for a visit.
(d) Read Caroline's manuscript.
4. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
(a) Mrs. Austen.
(c) Aunt Cassandra.
(d) Aunt Jane.
5. Jane yearns to see whose exhibition as well?
(a) Sir John Raymer.
(b) Sir James Rowland's.
(c) Sir Jacob Riley.
(d) Sir Joshua Reynold's.
6. She is convinced that Mr. Papillon will soon do what?
(a) Ask her to dance at a ball.
(b) Speak to her about publishing one of her books.
(c) Make his offer.
(d) Ask for a copy of her book.
7. Henry is promoted and does not feel the loss of who so badly because he is used to being away from her?
8. Why is Jane not impressed with "The Farmer's Wife?"
(a) Because of Miss S.'s monologue.
(b) Because of Miss S.'s dancing.
(c) Because of Miss S.'s singing and acting.
(d) Because of all of the acting.
9. John Murray advises Jane of what?
(a) A book signing he scheduled.
(b) The manuscript that is due.
(c) The proper place to situate a dedication in a book.
(d) The amount she owes him.
10. Fanny Knight's visit makes Jane quite happy and she notices that Fanny is affected by what?
(a) The long journey.
(b) An illness.
(c) The sight of the children.
(d) The weather.
11. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
(a) John Murray.
(b) His mother.
(c) The prince regent.
(d) The king.
12. Jane tells John Murray that she is happy with Sir Walter Scott's review of "Emma" in the Quarterly Review, but she is displeased about what?
(a) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" did not have such a favorable review.
(b) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" is not mentioned.
(c) That no one else reviewed it.
(d) That is was so short.
13. Jane writes Charles Thomas Haden to thank him for what?
(a) Publishing her book.
(b) Reading her book.
(c) Loaning her some books.
(d) Editing her book.
14. Jane complains about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing "Merchant of Venice" by saying that people who are _____________ are capable of all sorts of evil.
(a) Poor writers.
(c) Poor actors.
(d) Not musically inclined.
15. Jane tells Caroline that Mary Jane passed her time at Chawton pleasantly and is surprised about what?
(a) Mary Jane is returning home so soon.
(b) Cassy has not arrived yet.
(c) She does not miss Cassy as much as she expected she would.
(d) She does not miss writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
2. Jane quips that she will comfort who?
3. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
4. Jane is pleased that __________________ of "Sense and Sensibility" sell.
5. Jane jokes that she is "rather in love" with whom?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)