|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane complains about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing "Merchant of Venice" by saying that people who are _____________ are capable of all sorts of evil.
(a) Poor actors.
(b) Not musically inclined.
(d) Poor writers.
2. Henry takes Jane to see _______________, and Jane is pleased at a small portrait of "Mrs. Bingley", like "Portrait of a Lady" by J. F. M. Huet-Villiers.
(a) The Exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery.
(b) The Exhibition at Hyde Park.
(c) The Exhibition in Spring Gardens.
(d) The Exhibition at London Tower.
3. Jane threatens to write an imitation of what in retaliation?
(a) Mismatched Marriage.
(d) Pride, Prejudice, and Prosperity.
4. She is convinced that Mr. Papillon will soon do what?
(a) Make his offer.
(b) Ask for a copy of her book.
(c) Speak to her about publishing one of her books.
(d) Ask her to dance at a ball.
5. Jane tells Caroline that Mary Jane passed her time at Chawton pleasantly and is surprised about what?
(a) She does not miss Cassy as much as she expected she would.
(b) Mary Jane is returning home so soon.
(c) She does not miss writing.
(d) Cassy has not arrived yet.
6. Jane writes to Anna Lefroy nee Austen that Mrs. Creed's opinion is now less important to her because of what reason?
(a) Her marriage to Mr. Creed.
(b) Her comment about "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) Her behavior at the last ball.
(d) Her disapprobation of "Mansfield Park."
7. Jane answers Anna's specific questions regarding the accuracy and title of the manuscript, and she suggests that Anna omit the postscript because of what reason?
(a) It appears to imitate "Sense and Sensibility."
(b) It is ridiculous.
(c) It does not make sense.
(d) It appears to imitate "Pride and Prejudice."
8. Jane writes to her niece, Fanny Knight, declaring that she knows that Fanny is not what?
(b) Getting married.
(c) In love.
9. Jane goes to see the play "Isabella, or the Fatal Marriage" by David Garrick but is not pleased with what?
(a) The acting.
(b) The set.
(c) The lighting.
(d) The script.
10. Fanny Knight praises what characters?
(a) Elinor and Marianne Dashwood's.
(b) Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy's.
(c) Anne Elliot and Frederick Wentworth's.
(d) Fanny Price and Edmund Bertram's.
11. Jane tells Cassandra that Henry is home and ___________ than she thought.
12. Jane is also displeased with the final chapter and advises her niece to stick to what she knows. What does she believe her niece knows?
13. Was Anna's manuscript ever completed or published?
(a) No, never.
(c) Yes, but only after her death.
(d) No, not in its complete form.
14. Jane spends most of her time _________________ and anxiously awaiting Edward's arrival next Tuesday.
(c) Practicing her music.
(d) Working or reading.
15. Jane writes to Anna saying that her eyes are weak and it is well that they did not weaken sooner or she could not have assisted in making what?
(a) Her new hat.
(b) Clothes for her brothers.
(c) Clothes for the "bride expectant."
(d) A dress for Anna.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane yearns to see whose exhibition as well?
2. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
3. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
4. Edward does well at Chawton with what?
5. Jane believes that Fanny likes him enough to marry, but not enough to do what?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)