|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
(a) The king.
(b) His mother.
(c) The prince regent.
(d) John Murray.
2. Jane is pleased that __________________ of "Sense and Sensibility" sell.
(a) All copies.
(b) A few copies.
(c) Some copies.
(d) Most copies.
3. Jane believes that Fanny likes him enough to marry, but not enough to do what?
(b) Stay married.
(c) Marry now.
4. Jane complains about Mr. Haden's paraphrasing "Merchant of Venice" by saying that people who are _____________ are capable of all sorts of evil.
(a) Not musically inclined.
(b) Poor actors.
(c) Poor writers.
5. Jane writes to Caroline Austen, praising what?
(a) Her speed in producing stories.
(b) Her exciting plots.
(c) Her comic writing.
(d) The details in her stories.
6. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
(c) Avoid many visits that she did not plan to enjoy.
(d) Write without interruption.
7. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
8. Jane jokes that she is "rather in love" with whom?
(a) Mr. Lexington.
(b) Mr. Longston.
(c) Mr. Lushington.
(d) Mr. Livingston.
9. Jane praises Anna's manuscript, comparing it to Burney's ____________.
(d) The Wanderer.
10. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
(a) It is a code developed between Cassandra-Esten and Jane.
(b) She is dyslexic.
(c) She is trying to trick Cassandra-Esten.
(d) She is not feeling well.
11. She states that she is done with Mr. Wildman because of what reason?
(a) He is not wealthy enough for her niece.
(b) He is poor and rude.
(c) He is not "enough in love" with her niece.
(d) He is unkind.
12. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
(b) Aunt Jane.
(c) Aunt Cassandra.
(d) Mrs. Austen.
13. Henry is promoted and does not feel the loss of who so badly because he is used to being away from her?
14. Was Anna's manuscript ever completed or published?
(a) Yes, but only after her death.
(b) No, not in its complete form.
(d) No, never.
15. She encourages Caroline to practice music but reminds her to do what?
(b) Take care of Jane's piano forte.
(c) Find a husband.
(d) Not forget her writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. She is convinced that Mr. Papillon will soon do what?
2. Jane makes ___________ pounds from the sale of the books and the sale of the copyright.
3. Jane writes James-Edward Austen to congratulate him on what?
4. Little Harriet is ill and the doctor states that she has what?
5. Jane spends a comfortable hour where?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)