|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. She suspects that Charles will arrive today and he arrives when?
(a) At seven in the evening.
(b) At seven in the morning.
(c) At six in the morning.
(d) At six in the evening.
2. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
3. Jane, her sister and brothers intend to do what together?
(a) Throw a ball.
(c) Form a musical group.
4. Jane plans to read Robert Southey's "Life of Nelson" for what reason?
(a) He asked her to read it.
(b) Frank is mentioned in it.
(c) She enjoyed his previous book.
(d) She has heard this book is good.
5. She encourages Caroline to practice music but reminds her to do what?
(b) Not forget her writing.
(c) Find a husband.
(d) Take care of Jane's piano forte.
6. John Murray advises Jane of what?
(a) A book signing he scheduled.
(b) The manuscript that is due.
(c) The amount she owes him.
(d) The proper place to situate a dedication in a book.
7. Jane's reference to Methuselah in her letter to Fanny Knight proves her familiarity with what?
(b) Old stories.
(d) The Bible.
8. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
(b) Aunt Cassandra.
(c) Mrs. Austen.
(d) Aunt Jane.
9. Jane is happy when "Sense and Sensibility" is advertised and happy with Miss Sharpe's flattery that "Pride and Prejudice" is read where?
(a) In Scotland.
(b) In Wales.
(c) In Ireland.
(d) In France.
10. Jane tells John Murray that she is happy with Sir Walter Scott's review of "Emma" in the Quarterly Review, but she is displeased about what?
(a) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" did not have such a favorable review.
(b) That no one else reviewed it.
(c) That is was so short.
(d) That the second edition of "Mansfield Park" is not mentioned.
11. Jane congratulates her niece on becoming what?
(a) A sister.
(b) A mother.
(c) An aunt.
(d) A godmother.
12. She advises Fanny against marrying Mr. J. P. because of what reason?
(a) He is old.
(b) The wedding would be far off.
(c) He is poor.
(d) He does not love her.
13. Why is Jane not impressed with "The Farmer's Wife?"
(a) Because of all of the acting.
(b) Because of Miss S.'s singing and acting.
(c) Because of Miss S.'s monologue.
(d) Because of Miss S.'s dancing.
14. Jane rejoices that her cold allowed her to do what?
(a) Write without interruption.
(b) Avoid many visits that she did not plan to enjoy.
15. Jane praises Eaton Stannard Barrett's "The Heroine" as being amusingly written in what style?
(a) The Goldsmith.
(b) The Pepys.
(c) The Evelyn.
(d) The Radcliffe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
2. Jane jokes that she is "rather in love" with whom?
3. Jane writes to James Stanier Clarke, asking permission to do what?
4. Jane spends a comfortable hour where?
5. Jane is thrilled with the praise that she hears about what novel from Lady Robert and Mr. Hastings?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)