|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Frank's visit is delayed by what?
(a) Naval business.
(b) The weather.
(c) Family business.
(d) Army business.
2. Jane writes to Caroline Austen, praising what?
(a) Her speed in producing stories.
(b) Her comic writing.
(c) Her exciting plots.
(d) The details in her stories.
3. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
(a) Frank Austen.
(b) Henry Austen.
(c) Cassandra Austen.
(d) Edward Knight.
4. Jane writes to Anna saying that her eyes are weak and it is well that they did not weaken sooner or she could not have assisted in making what?
(a) Clothes for the "bride expectant."
(b) A dress for Anna.
(c) Her new hat.
(d) Clothes for her brothers.
5. She reads William Cowper's __________________ and Boswell's "Life of Johnson".
(a) Epitaph on a Hare.
(b) Olney Hymns.
(c) Sacred Harp.
6. Jane answers Anna's specific questions regarding the accuracy and title of the manuscript, and she suggests that Anna omit the postscript because of what reason?
(a) It appears to imitate "Sense and Sensibility."
(b) It appears to imitate "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) It is ridiculous.
(d) It does not make sense.
7. Edward does well at Chawton with what?
(a) Her mercantile business.
8. She states that she is done with Mr. Wildman because of what reason?
(a) He is poor and rude.
(b) He is unkind.
(c) He is not wealthy enough for her niece.
(d) He is not "enough in love" with her niece.
9. Fanny Knight's visit makes Jane quite happy and she notices that Fanny is affected by what?
(a) The sight of the children.
(b) The long journey.
(c) An illness.
(d) The weather.
10. Jane enjoys visiting Henry, though he has a pain where?
(a) In his leg.
(b) In his face.
(c) In his chest.
(d) In his arm.
11. Jane writes Charles that she is ill and what has made her worse?
(a) Her inability to write.
(b) The cold weather.
(c) Her uncle's will.
(d) Her mother's worrying.
12. She visits the Fagg family and describes who?
(a) The kind daughters.
(b) The mean daughters.
(c) The plain daughters.
(d) The beautiful daughters.
13. Jane tells Caroline that Mary Jane passed her time at Chawton pleasantly and is surprised about what?
(a) She does not miss writing.
(b) She does not miss Cassy as much as she expected she would.
(c) Mary Jane is returning home so soon.
(d) Cassy has not arrived yet.
14. Jane goes to see the play "Isabella, or the Fatal Marriage" by David Garrick but is not pleased with what?
(a) The script.
(b) The set.
(c) The lighting.
(d) The acting.
15. Little Harriet is ill and the doctor states that she has what?
(a) Water on the brain.
(c) A fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. She advises Fanny against marrying Mr. J. P. because of what reason?
2. The apothecary arrives to do what?
3. Henry takes Jane to see _______________, and Jane is pleased at a small portrait of "Mrs. Bingley", like "Portrait of a Lady" by J. F. M. Huet-Villiers.
4. She is frightened at the thought that who wants to be introduced to her?
5. Who is the most comfortable and successful member of the Austen family?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)