|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane spends most of her time _________________ and anxiously awaiting Edward's arrival next Tuesday.
(a) Working or reading.
(c) Practicing her music.
2. Jane is thrilled with the praise that she hears about what novel from Lady Robert and Mr. Hastings?
(b) Northanger Abbey.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
3. Jane writes Charles that she is ill and what has made her worse?
(a) Her inability to write.
(b) Her mother's worrying.
(c) The cold weather.
(d) Her uncle's will.
4. Jane praises Anna's manuscript, comparing it to Burney's ____________.
(d) The Wanderer.
5. Jane makes ___________ pounds from the sale of the books and the sale of the copyright.
(a) One hundred and fifty.
(b) Three hundred and fifty.
(c) Four hundred and fifty.
(d) Two hundred and fifty.
6. She encourages Caroline to practice music but reminds her to do what?
(a) Take care of Jane's piano forte.
(b) Not forget her writing.
(d) Find a husband.
7. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
8. Who is the most comfortable and successful member of the Austen family?
9. Jane enjoys visiting Henry, though he has a pain where?
(a) In his chest.
(b) In his arm.
(c) In his leg.
(d) In his face.
10. Jane writes to her niece, Fanny Knight, declaring that she knows that Fanny is not what?
(a) Getting married.
(b) In love.
11. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
(a) The king.
(b) John Murray.
(c) His mother.
(d) The prince regent.
12. Henry gives Jane a gift of _______ pounds, and she plans to buy poplin and send half to Cassandra.
13. Jane is unable to do what while Cassandra is gone?
14. Jane believes that Henry will marry who soon?
(a) His Hanwell favorite.
(b) Miss Sharpe.
(d) A Duchess.
15. She is determined to raise money for what which is to be printed at her expense?
(a) The first printing of "Sense and Sensibility."
(b) The first printing of "Persuasion."
(c) The second printing of "Persuasion."
(d) The second printing of "Sense and Sensibility"
Short Answer Questions
1. Based on the plot in Anna's book, Jane jokes that Ben, Anna's husband, was in love with who first?
2. Jane congratulates her niece on becoming what?
3. She suspects that Charles will arrive today and he arrives when?
4. She hopes that Sir William will marry who?
5. Why are the words in one of Jane's letters written backwards?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)