|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane is also displeased with the final chapter and advises her niece to stick to what she knows. What does she believe her niece knows?
2. Jane writes to her niece, Fanny Knight, declaring that she knows that Fanny is not what?
(b) Getting married.
(c) In love.
3. Jane writes to Fanny Knight praising her what?
4. Jane writes James Stanier Clarke advising that a copy of "Emma" is to be sent to whom, care of James Stanier Clarke?
(a) The prince regent.
(b) John Murray.
(c) His mother.
(d) The king.
5. Who is the most comfortable and successful member of the Austen family?
6. Mrs. Austen is not well but would be glad to see Caroline, especially next Saturday, which is what?
(a) Cassandra's birthday and the performance of a new opera.
(b) Mrs. Austen's birthday.
(c) Mary Jane's birthday and the date of a fair.
(d) Jane Austen's birthday and the date of a ball.
7. Jane is thrilled with the praise that she hears about what novel from Lady Robert and Mr. Hastings?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(b) Northanger Abbey.
8. Jane believes that Henry will marry who soon?
(a) A Duchess.
(b) His Hanwell favorite.
(c) Miss Sharpe.
9. She advises Fanny against marrying Mr. J. P. because of what reason?
(a) He does not love her.
(b) He is old.
(c) He is poor.
(d) The wedding would be far off.
10. Jane does not want Henry to take her to town but admits that she cannot say "no" if he offers. Why?
(a) Because she would not want to hurt his feelings.
(b) Because he rarely offers her anything.
(c) Because he would be upset if she said no.
(d) Because it is a thoughtful offer.
11. Jane writes to Anna saying that her eyes are weak and it is well that they did not weaken sooner or she could not have assisted in making what?
(a) Her new hat.
(b) Clothes for the "bride expectant."
(c) A dress for Anna.
(d) Clothes for her brothers.
12. Mr. John Murray, a London publisher, offers Jane how many pounds for "Emma" and the copyrights to "Mansfield Park" and "Sense and Sensibility?"
(a) One hundred fifty.
(b) Two hundred fifty.
(c) Three hundred fifty.
(d) Four hundred fifty.
13. Jane tells Cassandra that Henry is home and ___________ than she thought.
14. Jane receives a pleasing visit from whom, but is disappointed when he does not arrive on schedule?
(a) Henry Austen.
(b) Edward Knight.
(c) Frank Austen.
(d) Cassandra Austen.
15. John Murray advises Jane of what?
(a) The proper place to situate a dedication in a book.
(b) The manuscript that is due.
(c) The amount she owes him.
(d) A book signing he scheduled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane writes to James Stanier Clarke, asking permission to do what?
2. Fanny Knight praises what characters?
3. Jane demands that the father in her most recent story be what?
4. Jane tells Caroline that Mary Jane passed her time at Chawton pleasantly and is surprised about what?
5. Jane jokes that she is "rather in love" with whom?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)