|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane dissuades Cassandra from asking who to escort her to Steventon?
(a) Sir Robert.
(b) Sir Matthew.
(c) Sir John.
(d) Sir Thomas.
2. Why does Anne give notice to discontinue her employment for the Austens?
(a) She will become a school mistress.
(b) She has found a new job.
(c) Her family is moving out of the country.
(d) She is engaged.
3. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
(a) Many weeks.
(b) Many months.
(c) Many days.
(d) Many hours.
4. Jane jokingly wishes Edward a "happy thirtieth birthday", although it is actually his ____________ birthday.
5. Jane praises her sister's ______________ writing in her last correspondence.
6. The household items sold well, though Jane is unhappy with the price she got for what?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her art work.
(d) Her books.
7. She describes her plans for what book for the first time?
(a) "Sense and Sensibility."
(b) "Pride and Prejudice."
(c) "Northanger Abbey."
(d) "Mansfield Park."
8. Jane is enjoying the beauty of Southampton despite what?
(a) Missing Cassandra.
(b) The poor weather.
(c) Her earlier reluctance.
(d) Her languor and illness.
9. Mrs. Austen finds her deceased husband's _________________ and wants Frank to accept them.
(a) Suspenders, comb, and toothbrush.
(b) Glasses, handkerchief, and shoe horn.
(c) Letters, bills, and gloves.
(d) Compass, sun-dial and scissors.
10. Why does Jane call on most of their neighbors?
(a) Because she is bored.
(b) Because of the warm weather.
(c) Because she likes her neighbors.
(d) Because she is feeling better.
11. Jane writes to Crosby, a publisher, complaining about what?
(a) She received a poorly-printed copy of her novel, "Susan."
(b) She had never heard from him regarding her novel, "Susan."
(c) She received ten pounds for the publication of her novel "Susan" six years previously, but it was never published.
(d) She had never received the ten pounds he owed her for her novel, "Susan" six years previously.
12. Jane stays at Goodnestone until Monday and hopes that Edward will fetch her for what reason?
(a) Since he is coming to visit Goodnestone.
(b) Since he has said he will come to fetch her.
(c) Since his health is better now.
(d) Since he will be in town.
13. A rumor circulates that Charles is bringing who home?
(a) The 'Goddess.'
(b) The 'Witch.'
(c) The 'Cleopatra.'
(d) The 'Queen.'
14. Who is dangerously ill?
(a) Mrs. Austen.
(c) Mrs. Leigh.
15. Why is Godmersham uncomfortable?
(a) Cassandra is not there.
(b) Jane's room is small.
(c) Jane has no friends.
(d) Jane must share a bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane is happy with the recent publication of what?
2. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
3. She begins drinking _________ Tea and finds it very good.
4. Jane discusses the plans for moving ____________ with Cassandra and tells her that their aunt is happy about the Austens' moving.
5. Jane and Mrs. Austen are currently in a house in Seymour Street, but Jane went with her uncle to look at two pleasing houses where?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)