|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jane retract this statement?
(a) She receives a letter from Frank, warning of long intervals in his writing.
(b) She receives a compliment from her mother regarding her last book.
(c) She receives a commissioned biography for the prince regent.
(d) She receives a letter from Cassandra asking for a book.
2. Jane disdains Robert Southey's "Letters from England" as horribly ______________.
3. She describes her plans for what book for the first time?
(a) "Mansfield Park."
(b) "Sense and Sensibility."
(c) "Northanger Abbey."
(d) "Pride and Prejudice."
4. Jane finds the parties stupid for what reason?
(a) They are dull and boring.
(b) They are too large and crowded.
(c) They are so small, and she thinks the people are disagreeable.
(d) They are too pretentious.
5. Jane is pleased by Ly Gordon's manners, but thinks Ly Elizabeth and Miss Hatton have _________ to say.
(a) Too much.
(b) Extraordinary things.
(d) Too little.
6. Harriet is truly grieved over whose death?
(a) Mrs. Budd's.
(b) Her aunt's.
(c) The Queen's.
(d) The King's.
7. Jane is happy with the recent publication of what?
(a) Practical Piety.
(b) Mansfield Park.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
8. Jane writes her niece, Anna, and expresses her interest in the ______ family from Anna's novel, "Tarefield Abbey."
9. She has read Sarah Harriet Burney's "Clarentine" and finds it how?
(a) Stupid and filled with unnatural conduct.
(b) Interesting and intriguing.
(c) Surprising and filled with unusual events.
(d) Boring and a waste of time.
10. Jane writes to her cousin, Miss Walter Seal, in American to offer her condolences on the loss of who?
(a) Miss Seal's mother.
(b) Miss Seal's brother.
(c) Miss Seal's father.
(d) Miss Seal's sister.
11. Who is dangerously ill?
(b) Mrs. Austen.
(c) Mrs. Leigh.
12. The apothecary believes that Edward did what?
(a) Ate something disagreeable.
(b) Caught a virus.
(c) Was bitten by an insect.
(d) Poisoned himself intentionally.
13. Sophie is happy with what that Lizzy sends her?
(a) The bird.
(b) The cat.
(c) The horse.
(d) The dog.
14. Jane stays at Goodnestone until Monday and hopes that Edward will fetch her for what reason?
(a) Since he has said he will come to fetch her.
(b) Since he is coming to visit Goodnestone.
(c) Since he will be in town.
(d) Since his health is better now.
15. Edward's name change is finalized, from Austen to Knight, that of his _____________ who adopted him and left him an inheritance.
(c) Distant cousin.
(d) Step father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane complains that people are ____________ in this neighborhood.
2. A rumor circulates that Charles is bringing who home?
3. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
4. The answer to number 27 is in reference to what book?
5. Jane prefers _________________ in terms of nursing her brother back to health.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)