|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The house at Bath is finally cleared out and is quite _________.
2. A rumor circulates that Charles is bringing who home?
(a) The 'Witch.'
(b) The 'Cleopatra.'
(c) The 'Goddess.'
(d) The 'Queen.'
3. Why is Godmersham uncomfortable?
(a) Jane has no friends.
(b) Jane must share a bed.
(c) Jane's room is small.
(d) Cassandra is not there.
4. Jane discusses the plans for moving ____________ with Cassandra and tells her that their aunt is happy about the Austens' moving.
(a) To Barnsley.
(b) To Bath.
(c) To Beckenham.
(d) To Berkhamsted.
5. Jane is disappointed that Cassandra is doing what?
(a) Getting married.
(b) Staying away from home longer.
(c) Coming home so soon.
(d) Moving away from home.
6. Why has Jane been practicing her music instead of writing?
(a) She has been asked to play the piano forte at the next ball.
(b) She has just received a new piano forte.
(c) She is tired of writing.
(d) She has a complaint in her eye which makes reading and writing difficult
7. Mrs. Austen finds her deceased husband's _________________ and wants Frank to accept them.
(a) Suspenders, comb, and toothbrush.
(b) Glasses, handkerchief, and shoe horn.
(c) Compass, sun-dial and scissors.
(d) Letters, bills, and gloves.
8. A lady interrupts Jane's writing to inquire about hiring Anne as what?
(a) A maid.
(b) A school mistress.
(c) A librarian.
(d) A governess.
9. Jane has subscribed to whose library of novels and other literature?
(a) Mrs. Matthew's.
(b) Mrs. Martinelli's.
(c) Mrs. Marcus'.
(d) Mrs. Martin's.
10. Jane is happy with the recent publication of what?
(a) Mansfield Park.
(c) Practical Piety.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
11. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is in a poor mood.
(c) She is tired.
(d) She is too busy.
12. When does Jane retract this statement?
(a) She receives a compliment from her mother regarding her last book.
(b) She receives a letter from Frank, warning of long intervals in his writing.
(c) She receives a commissioned biography for the prince regent.
(d) She receives a letter from Cassandra asking for a book.
13. Jane feels certain that Frank's promotion would have solicited more appointments if he had been where at the time?
(a) In France.
(b) In America.
(c) In Germany.
(d) In England.
14. Jane and Mrs. Austen are currently in a house in Seymour Street, but Jane went with her uncle to look at two pleasing houses where?
(a) In Red Park Buildings.
(b) In White Park Buildings.
(c) In Blue Park Buildings.
(d) In Green Park Buildings.
15. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
(a) The wind.
(b) The rain.
(c) The snow.
(d) The heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane quotes Hester Piozzi in "Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson" in praise of Mr. Deedes' __________.
2. Jane has a pleasant journey to Paragon where she has what?
3. The apothecary believes that Edward did what?
4. Jane informs her sister that Edward and Frank have left to do what?
5. Jane's aunt and uncle offer James an allowance of ___________ pounds a year, and James plans to keep two more horses.
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)