|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
(a) Many days.
(b) Many months.
(c) Many weeks.
(d) Many hours.
2. Jane disdains Robert Southey's "Letters from England" as horribly ______________.
3. Jane complains that people are ____________ in this neighborhood.
(a) Too dull and boring.
(b) Too shy and conventional.
(c) Too rambunctious and fashion-forward.
(d) Too poor and economical.
4. Jane writes to Crosby, a publisher, complaining about what?
(a) She had never received the ten pounds he owed her for her novel, "Susan" six years previously.
(b) She received a poorly-printed copy of her novel, "Susan."
(c) She received ten pounds for the publication of her novel "Susan" six years previously, but it was never published.
(d) She had never heard from him regarding her novel, "Susan."
5. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
(a) She is too busy.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is in a poor mood.
(d) She is tired.
6. Jane receives a descriptive letter from Frank, and a letter from Charles stating that what is awaiting orders?
(a) The 'Endymion.'
(b) The 'Edmondson.'
(c) The 'Endocrine.'
(d) The 'Edward.'
7. Jane laments losing what of her mother's?
8. Jane is pleased with Miss Fletcher for drinking her tea without ______________ and for her admiration of "Camilla".
9. Jane writes to offer her condolences to Edward on the death of who?
(a) His friend.
(b) His niece.
(c) His wife.
(d) His fiancee.
10. Jane is thrilled that Cassandra plans to do what?
(a) Get married.
(b) Return home soon.
(c) Attend a ball.
(d) Move to London.
11. Jane is pleased to tell Cassandra what about their mother?
(a) She has written a book.
(b) She has come for a visit.
(c) She has not had a relapse and is doing much better.
(d) She has had another child.
12. Jane is very busy making shirts for Edward, and she claims she is the ___________ worker.
13. Mr. Austen offers his ____________ to James Digweed but is refused.
(b) Blacksmith shop.
(d) Carpentry shop.
14. Jane is enjoying the beauty of Southampton despite what?
(a) Her earlier reluctance.
(b) The poor weather.
(c) Her languor and illness.
(d) Missing Cassandra.
15. Jane is thrilled with her and Cassandra's newest what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Harriet is truly grieved over whose death?
2. A rumor circulates that Charles is bringing who home?
3. What happened to both Mrs. Coulthard and Anne?
4. Mrs. Austen and Jane want to settle in at Chawton before October when Henry will do what?
5. On Monday, a parcel from London arrives. Jane is grateful to Cassandra for the long letter and many gifts, and Mr. Austen is pleased with what?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)