|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cassandra need not worry about Penlingtons?
(a) Mrs. Austen has already settled business there.
(b) Edward has already settled business there.
(c) Mr. Austen plans to settle business there.
(d) Jane plans to settle business there.
2. Mrs. Austen plans to move where?
(a) To Birchwood.
(b) To London.
(c) To Alton.
(d) To Daventry.
3. The Austens' household articles have been ___________ finally.
4. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
(a) Many weeks.
(b) Many months.
(c) Many hours.
(d) Many days.
5. Jane hopes to see Cassandra soon, and praises James as what?
(a) A useful "man of letters".
(b) A help around the house.
(c) A great friend.
(d) A wonderful horseman.
6. She refers to her work, "First Impressions", which would later become what novel?
(a) "Mansfield Park."
(c) "Sense and Sensibility."
(d) "Pride and Prejudice."
7. Jane complains that people are ____________ in this neighborhood.
(a) Too rambunctious and fashion-forward.
(b) Too poor and economical.
(c) Too dull and boring.
(d) Too shy and conventional.
8. Jane is pleased by Ly Gordon's manners, but thinks Ly Elizabeth and Miss Hatton have _________ to say.
(a) Too little.
(b) Extraordinary things.
(c) Too much.
9. Jane prefers _________________ in terms of nursing her brother back to health.
(a) Dr. Fellowes to Dr. Mapleton.
(b) Dr. Mapleton to Dr. Fellowes.
(c) Dr. Morrow to Dr. Fells.
(d) Dr. Oz to Dr. Phil.
10. Jane receives a copy of her "own darling child" from London, referring to the publication of what novel?
(b) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Sense and Sensibility.
(d) Mansfield Park.
11. Mrs. Knight promotes a match between Jane and Mr. Papillon, and Jane jokes that she will marry him despite his or her own reluctance because of what reason?
(a) The good lady's interest in the matter.
(b) Jane wants to be married.
(c) Jane loves his home.
(d) He is wealthy.
12. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
(a) She is too busy.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is tired.
(d) She is in a poor mood.
13. On Monday, a parcel from London arrives. Jane is grateful to Cassandra for the long letter and many gifts, and Mr. Austen is pleased with what?
(a) His cravat.
(b) His handkerchief.
(c) His dress coat.
(d) His stockings.
14. Edward's name change is finalized, from Austen to Knight, that of his _____________ who adopted him and left him an inheritance.
(b) Step father.
(d) Distant cousin.
15. Why is Godmersham uncomfortable?
(a) Jane has no friends.
(b) Jane's room is small.
(c) Jane must share a bed.
(d) Cassandra is not there.
Short Answer Questions
1. She asks Cassandra's advice about what fashion?
2. A rumor circulates that Charles is bringing who home?
3. Jane is flattered by her sister's commendation of her writing since Jane "writes only for _______________".
4. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
5. Mrs. Austen finds her deceased husband's _________________ and wants Frank to accept them.
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)