|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jane call on most of their neighbors?
(a) Because she is bored.
(b) Because she is feeling better.
(c) Because she likes her neighbors.
(d) Because of the warm weather.
2. Jane's aunt and uncle offer James an allowance of ___________ pounds a year, and James plans to keep two more horses.
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) One hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
3. Jane gossips to her sister that Earle Harwood accidentally did what and is in the hospital where his family visits him?
(a) Poisoned himself.
(b) Shot himself in the thigh.
(c) Fell off his horse.
(d) Fell down the stairs.
4. When does Jane retract this statement?
(a) She receives a commissioned biography for the prince regent.
(b) She receives a letter from Cassandra asking for a book.
(c) She receives a compliment from her mother regarding her last book.
(d) She receives a letter from Frank, warning of long intervals in his writing.
5. The household items sold well, though Jane is unhappy with the price she got for what?
(a) Her shoes.
(b) Her art work.
(c) Her books.
(d) Her clothes.
6. She does not intend to accept her aunt's invitation to what?
(a) The Grand Sydney-Garden Ball.
(b) The Grand Sydney-Garden Breakfast.
(c) The Grand Sydney-Garden Dinner.
(d) The Grand Sydney-Garden Opera.
7. Sophie is happy with what that Lizzy sends her?
(a) The bird.
(b) The horse.
(c) The cat.
(d) The dog.
8. Jane dissuades Cassandra from asking who to escort her to Steventon?
(a) Sir John.
(b) Sir Matthew.
(c) Sir Robert.
(d) Sir Thomas.
9. Why is Jane anxious to go home?
(a) There has been a lot of company at Mrs. Knight's house.
(b) She is bored.
(c) She is not feeling well.
(d) She misses Cassandra.
10. Jane is flattered by her sister's commendation of her writing since Jane "writes only for _______________".
(b) Her family.
11. The answer to number 27 is in reference to what book?
(a) Jonathan Swift's "Drapier's Letters."
(b) Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal."
(c) Jonathan Swift's "A Journal to Stella."
(d) Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels".
12. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
(a) Many months.
(b) Many hours.
(c) Many weeks.
(d) Many days.
13. Jane sees Isaac Bickerstaffe's play, "The Hypocrite", which is taken from Moliere's _____________.
(a) L'Avare ou L'Ã‰cole du mensonge.
(c) Le Malade imaginaire.
(d) Le Misanthrope.
14. Jane writes to Crosby, a publisher, complaining about what?
(a) She had never heard from him regarding her novel, "Susan."
(b) She had never received the ten pounds he owed her for her novel, "Susan" six years previously.
(c) She received ten pounds for the publication of her novel "Susan" six years previously, but it was never published.
(d) She received a poorly-printed copy of her novel, "Susan."
15. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
(a) The rain.
(b) The snow.
(c) The wind.
(d) The heat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane laments losing what of her mother's?
2. Jane complains that people are ____________ in this neighborhood.
3. Jane has a pleasant journey to Paragon where she has what?
4. Jane hears that Tom is to marry a girl from where?
5. Why has Jane been practicing her music instead of writing?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)