|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane laments losing what of her mother's?
2. She does not intend to accept her aunt's invitation to what?
(a) The Grand Sydney-Garden Dinner.
(b) The Grand Sydney-Garden Ball.
(c) The Grand Sydney-Garden Breakfast.
(d) The Grand Sydney-Garden Opera.
3. Jane is pleased by Ly Gordon's manners, but thinks Ly Elizabeth and Miss Hatton have _________ to say.
(a) Too little.
(c) Extraordinary things.
(d) Too much.
4. Jane spends Tuesday in Bentinck Street with the Cookes, but she is unable to call on Miss Beckford because of what reason?
(a) The wind.
(b) The snow.
(c) The heat.
(d) The rain.
5. Mrs. Knight promotes a match between Jane and Mr. Papillon, and Jane jokes that she will marry him despite his or her own reluctance because of what reason?
(a) Jane wants to be married.
(b) Jane loves his home.
(c) The good lady's interest in the matter.
(d) He is wealthy.
6. Jane discusses the plans for moving ____________ with Cassandra and tells her that their aunt is happy about the Austens' moving.
(a) To Berkhamsted.
(b) To Bath.
(c) To Beckenham.
(d) To Barnsley.
7. Jane sees Miss Chamberlayne perform _____________, which reminds her of Miss Lefroy's performance.
(a) In a ballet.
(b) In a play.
(c) On horseback.
(d) In an opera.
8. She refers to her work, "First Impressions", which would later become what novel?
(a) "Mansfield Park."
(c) "Sense and Sensibility."
(d) "Pride and Prejudice."
9. Jane was alone with Mr. Holder at Ashe Park for ten minutes, which was very _______________.
(a) Strange but enjoyable.
(b) Uncomfortable and awkward.
(c) Fun and exciting.
(d) Relaxing and peaceful.
10. Jane prefers _________________ in terms of nursing her brother back to health.
(a) Dr. Fellowes to Dr. Mapleton.
(b) Dr. Mapleton to Dr. Fellowes.
(c) Dr. Morrow to Dr. Fells.
(d) Dr. Oz to Dr. Phil.
11. Jane's aunt and uncle offer James an allowance of ___________ pounds a year, and James plans to keep two more horses.
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) One hundred.
12. Why has Jane been practicing her music instead of writing?
(a) She has a complaint in her eye which makes reading and writing difficult
(b) She has been asked to play the piano forte at the next ball.
(c) She is tired of writing.
(d) She has just received a new piano forte.
13. Jane quotes Hester Piozzi in "Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson" in praise of Mr. Deedes' __________.
(a) Acting abilities.
(b) Singing abilities.
(c) Writing abilities.
(d) Speaking abilities.
14. Jane is enjoying the beauty of Southampton despite what?
(a) Missing Cassandra.
(b) The poor weather.
(c) Her earlier reluctance.
(d) Her languor and illness.
15. Who is dangerously ill?
(b) Mrs. Leigh.
(d) Mrs. Austen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane is tired of writing and does not intend to write for how long?
2. Jane and Mrs. Austen are currently in a house in Seymour Street, but Jane went with her uncle to look at two pleasing houses where?
3. Why does Jane call on most of their neighbors?
4. Jane hopes to see Cassandra soon, and praises James as what?
5. Why does Jane not expect letters from Cassandra until she receives them?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)