|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Austen inquires about Tom, she tells him that her nephew is studying for _____________ in London and sends his regrets to Mrs. Austen on her illness.
(a) The bar.
(b) The GED.
(c) His medical license.
(d) His teacher certification.
2. What happened to both Mrs. Coulthard and Anne?
(a) They both died in childbirth.
(b) They both came for a visit.
(c) They both wrote books.
(d) They both moved to America.
3. Sophie is happy with what that Lizzy sends her?
(a) The bird.
(b) The dog.
(c) The cat.
(d) The horse.
4. Why does Cassandra need not worry about Penlingtons?
(a) Mr. Austen plans to settle business there.
(b) Edward has already settled business there.
(c) Jane plans to settle business there.
(d) Mrs. Austen has already settled business there.
5. Jane writes to offer her condolences to Edward on the death of who?
(a) His wife.
(b) His friend.
(c) His niece.
(d) His fiancee.
6. The answer to number 27 is in reference to what book?
(a) Jonathan Swift's "Drapier's Letters."
(b) Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels".
(c) Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal."
(d) Jonathan Swift's "A Journal to Stella."
7. Mr. Austen offers his ____________ to James Digweed but is refused.
(c) Blacksmith shop.
(d) Carpentry shop.
8. Jane Austen writes to her sister, Cassandra, and recounts what?
(a) Her recent illness.
(b) The previous night's symphony performance.
(c) The previous night's ball.
(d) Her trip to London.
9. A letter from Miss Pearson causes Jane to suspect the other lady of what?
(d) Matrimonial views.
10. Jane is thrilled with her and Cassandra's newest what?
11. Jane hears that Tom is to marry a girl from where?
12. Jane is enjoying the beauty of Southampton despite what?
(a) The poor weather.
(b) Her languor and illness.
(c) Missing Cassandra.
(d) Her earlier reluctance.
13. Jane has tea with the Tilsons but is unable to go see a play because of what reason?
(a) She is too busy.
(b) She is tired.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is in a poor mood.
14. Jane sees Isaac Bickerstaffe's play, "The Hypocrite", which is taken from Moliere's _____________.
(a) Le Misanthrope.
(b) L'Avare ou L'Ã‰cole du mensonge.
(d) Le Malade imaginaire.
15. Jane is pleased to tell Cassandra what about their mother?
(a) She has come for a visit.
(b) She has not had a relapse and is doing much better.
(c) She has had another child.
(d) She has written a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane writes her niece, Anna, and expresses her interest in the ______ family from Anna's novel, "Tarefield Abbey."
2. Jane generously allows Mary all of her former admirers for what reason?
3. Jane is upset that Cassandra will not be doing what with their mother and herself?
4. She refers to her work, "First Impressions", which would later become what novel?
5. Jane writes to her cousin, Miss Walter Seal, in American to offer her condolences on the loss of who?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)