|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The answer to number 27 is in reference to what book?
(a) Jonathan Swift's "Gulliver's Travels".
(b) Jonathan Swift's "A Journal to Stella."
(c) Jonathan Swift's "Drapier's Letters."
(d) Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal."
2. Mrs. Austen finds her deceased husband's _________________ and wants Frank to accept them.
(a) Suspenders, comb, and toothbrush.
(b) Glasses, handkerchief, and shoe horn.
(c) Compass, sun-dial and scissors.
(d) Letters, bills, and gloves.
3. Jane stays at Goodnestone until Monday and hopes that Edward will fetch her for what reason?
(a) Since he has said he will come to fetch her.
(b) Since his health is better now.
(c) Since he is coming to visit Goodnestone.
(d) Since he will be in town.
4. As what does Jane refer to Mr. Evelyn?
(a) A yahoo.
(b) A yoohoo.
(c) A moron.
(d) A maniac.
5. She does not intend to accept her aunt's invitation to what?
(a) The Grand Sydney-Garden Ball.
(b) The Grand Sydney-Garden Breakfast.
(c) The Grand Sydney-Garden Opera.
(d) The Grand Sydney-Garden Dinner.
6. Jane is flattered by her sister's commendation of her writing since Jane "writes only for _______________".
(a) Her family.
7. Mrs. Knight promotes a match between Jane and Mr. Papillon, and Jane jokes that she will marry him despite his or her own reluctance because of what reason?
(a) He is wealthy.
(b) Jane wants to be married.
(c) The good lady's interest in the matter.
(d) Jane loves his home.
8. Jane writes to her cousin, Miss Walter Seal, in American to offer her condolences on the loss of who?
(a) Miss Seal's father.
(b) Miss Seal's mother.
(c) Miss Seal's brother.
(d) Miss Seal's sister.
9. Jane quotes Hester Piozzi in "Letters to and from the late Samuel Johnson" in praise of Mr. Deedes' __________.
(a) Writing abilities.
(b) Speaking abilities.
(c) Singing abilities.
(d) Acting abilities.
10. Jane hears that Tom is to marry a girl from where?
11. Cassandra has a pleasant journey to Godmersham, but Jane worries. Why?
(a) She was ill before she left.
(b) Jane wonders if Cassandra will ever return.
(c) She has not received a letter since Cassandra left home.
(d) Her last letter seemed unhappy.
12. She has read Sarah Harriet Burney's "Clarentine" and finds it how?
(a) Interesting and intriguing.
(b) Boring and a waste of time.
(c) Stupid and filled with unnatural conduct.
(d) Surprising and filled with unusual events.
13. The Austens' household articles have been ___________ finally.
14. Jane dissuades Cassandra from asking who to escort her to Steventon?
(a) Sir Thomas.
(b) Sir John.
(c) Sir Robert.
(d) Sir Matthew.
15. Jane finds the parties stupid for what reason?
(a) They are so small, and she thinks the people are disagreeable.
(b) They are too pretentious.
(c) They are dull and boring.
(d) They are too large and crowded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jane discusses the plans for moving ____________ with Cassandra and tells her that their aunt is happy about the Austens' moving.
2. Jane writes to Crosby, a publisher, complaining about what?
3. Jane plans to arrive at Goodnestone as Cassandra is leaving and to take her sister's place for several days. Jane's pleasant journey is offset by what?
4. Jane praises her sister's ______________ writing in her last correspondence.
5. Jane feels certain that Frank's promotion would have solicited more appointments if he had been where at the time?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)