|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which surgery did Nora have in 1929?
2. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
3. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
4. Which actor in the play in #97 brought a lawsuit against Joyce?
5. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Joyce was befriended by some of the most famous literary talents in the world such as Ezra Pound and W.B. Yeats. Select one of Joyce's literary friends and compare and contrast his/her life and work to Joyce's.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would writers have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Nora have had an especially lonely life being the wife of James Joyce? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)