|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
2. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
3. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
4. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
5. What play did Joyce produce?
Essay Topic 1
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Joyce's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a poor man in late 19th century Ireland? With what stigmas did Joyce live for his entire life? How did Joyce use his childhood experiences to create his life's work?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)