|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
2. Who was Valery Larbaud?
3. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
4. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
5. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
2. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
3. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
4. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
5. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
6. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
7. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
8. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
9. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
10. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of James Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)