|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
2. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
3. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
4. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
5. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
2. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
3. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
4. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
5. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
6. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
7. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
8. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
9. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
10. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)