|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
2. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
3. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
4. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
5. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
2. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
3. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
4. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
5. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
6. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
7. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
8. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
9. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
10. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)