|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
2. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
3. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
4. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
5. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
2. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
3. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
4. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
5. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
6. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
7. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
8. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
9. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
10. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joyce was befriended by some of the most famous literary talents in the world such as Ezra Pound and W.B. Yeats. Select one of Joyce's literary friends and compare and contrast his/her life and work to Joyce's.
Essay Topic 2
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)