|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the owner of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore?
2. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
3. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
4. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
5. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
2. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
3. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
4. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
5. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
6. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
7. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
8. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
9. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
10. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Joyce's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a poor man in late 19th century Ireland? With what stigmas did Joyce live for his entire life? How did Joyce use his childhood experiences to create his life's work?
Essay Topic 3
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)