|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What play did Joyce produce?
2. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
3. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
4. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
5. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
2. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
3. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
4. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
5. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
6. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
7. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
8. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
9. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
10. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)