|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
2. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
3. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
4. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
5. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
2. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
3. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
4. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
5. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
6. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
7. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
8. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
9. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
10. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)