|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
2. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
3. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
4. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
5. Who was Valery Larbaud?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
2. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
3. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
4. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
5. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
6. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
7. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
8. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
9. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
10. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)