|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
2. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
3. Which actor in the play in #97 brought a lawsuit against Joyce?
4. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
5. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
2. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
3. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
4. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
5. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
6. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
7. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
8. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
9. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
10. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the early 20th century and why Joyce's work did not always meet with approval? How did perception of his work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Joyce's work in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Stanislaus Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)