|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
2. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
3. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
4. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
5. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
2. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
3. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
4. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
5. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
6. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
7. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
8. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
9. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
10. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)