|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which actor in the play in #97 brought a lawsuit against Joyce?
2. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
3. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
4. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
5. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
2. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
3. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
4. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
5. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
6. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
7. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
8. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
9. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
10. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Joyce was befriended by some of the most famous literary talents in the world such as Ezra Pound and W.B. Yeats. Select one of Joyce's literary friends and compare and contrast his/her life and work to Joyce's.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)