|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
2. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
3. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
4. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
5. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
2. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
3. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
4. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
5. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
6. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
7. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
8. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
9. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
10. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity was an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Joyce's childhood What was Ireland like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Joyce, his family and friends?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)