|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
2. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
3. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
4. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
5. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
2. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
3. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
4. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
5. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
6. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
7. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
8. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
9. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
10. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Joyce's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a poor man in late 19th century Ireland? With what stigmas did Joyce live for his entire life? How did Joyce use his childhood experiences to create his life's work?
Essay Topic 2
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)