|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Giorgio marry?
2. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
3. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
4. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
5. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
2. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
3. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
4. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
5. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
6. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
7. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
8. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
9. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
10. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)