|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
2. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
3. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
4. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
5. What pursuit did Giorgio enjoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
2. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
3. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
4. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
5. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
6. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
7. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
8. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
9. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
10. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)