|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
2. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
3. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
4. Who was Valery Larbaud?
5. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
2. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
3. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
4. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
5. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
6. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
7. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
8. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
9. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
10. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Joyce was befriended by some of the most famous literary talents in the world such as Ezra Pound and W.B. Yeats. Select one of Joyce's literary friends and compare and contrast his/her life and work to Joyce's.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)