|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
2. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
3. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
4. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
5. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
2. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
3. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
4. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
5. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
6. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
7. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
8. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
9. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
10. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Joyce's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a poor man in late 19th century Ireland? With what stigmas did Joyce live for his entire life? How did Joyce use his childhood experiences to create his life's work?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Stanislaus Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)