|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
2. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
3. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
4. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
5. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
Essay Topic 1
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of James Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)