|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
2. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
3. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
4. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
5. What play did Joyce produce?
Essay Topic 1
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)