|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
2. What was Charlotte Sauermann's profession?
3. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
4. What was the profession of the man in #88?
5. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
2. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
3. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
4. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
5. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
6. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
7. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
8. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
9. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
10. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)