|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
2. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
3. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
4. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
5. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
2. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
3. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
4. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
5. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
6. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
7. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
8. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
9. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
10. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Joyce's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a poor man in late 19th century Ireland? With what stigmas did Joyce live for his entire life? How did Joyce use his childhood experiences to create his life's work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the overall setting and time period for Joyce's childhood What was Ireland like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Joyce, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)