|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
2. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
3. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
4. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
5. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
2. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
3. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
4. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
5. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
6. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
7. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
8. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
9. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
10. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the early 20th century and why Joyce's work did not always meet with approval? How did perception of his work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Joyce's work in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)