|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
2. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
3. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
5. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
2. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
3. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
4. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
5. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
6. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
7. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
8. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
9. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
10. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Stanislaus Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
Joyce was befriended by some of the most famous literary talents in the world such as Ezra Pound and W.B. Yeats. Select one of Joyce's literary friends and compare and contrast his/her life and work to Joyce's.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)