|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
2. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
3. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
4. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
5. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
2. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
3. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
4. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
5. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
6. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
7. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
8. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
9. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
10. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 2
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)