|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
2. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
3. Where did Joyce go to college?
4. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
5. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
2. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
3. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
4. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
5. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
6. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
7. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
8. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
9. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
10. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the early 20th century and why Joyce's work did not always meet with approval? How did perception of his work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Joyce's work in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)