|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
2. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
3. Who was Joyce's father?
4. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
5. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
2. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
3. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
4. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
5. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
6. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
7. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
8. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
9. From whom did Joyce need permission in order to leave France and which family was denied a visa to leave?
10. What surgery did Joyce undergo in January of 1941?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Joyce's childhood What was Ireland like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Joyce, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would writers have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Nora have had an especially lonely life being the wife of James Joyce? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)