|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
2. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
3. When was Joyce's birthday?
4. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
5. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
2. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
3. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
4. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
5. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
6. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
7. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
8. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
9. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
10. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting and time period for Joyce's childhood What was Ireland like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Joyce, his family and friends?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)