|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Joyce's birthday?
2. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
3. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
4. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
5. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
2. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
3. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
4. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
5. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
6. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
7. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
8. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
9. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
10. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity was an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)