Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
3. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
4. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
5. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
2. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
3. What happened to Nora, Lucia and Stanislaus after Joyce's death?
4. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. From whom did Joyce need permission in order to leave France and which family was denied a visa to leave?
7. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
8. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
9. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
10. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply JAMES JOYCE? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)