|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
2. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
3. Where did Joyce go to college?
4. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
5. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
2. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
3. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
4. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
5. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
6. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
7. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
8. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
9. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
10. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity was an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)