Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
3. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
4. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
5. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
2. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
3. What happened to Nora, Lucia and Stanislaus after Joyce's death?
4. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. From whom did Joyce need permission in order to leave France and which family was denied a visa to leave?
7. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
8. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
9. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
10. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
Essay Topic 1
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the early 20th century and why Joyce's work did not always meet with approval? How did perception of his work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Joyce's work in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)