|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
2. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
3. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
4. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
5. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
2. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
3. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
4. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
5. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
6. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
7. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
8. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
9. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
10. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Stanislaus Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
It has been said that James may have suffered from mental illness in his lifetime, thus his propensity for creating brilliant work. Explain whether or not you think any mental illness shaped Joyce's life and work.
Essay Topic 3
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)