|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
2. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
3. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
4. Who was Joyce's father?
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
2. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
3. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
4. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
5. Where was Lucia to be moved for the duration of the war?
6. When did Joyce die and where was he buried?
7. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
8. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
9. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
10. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would writers have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Nora have had an especially lonely life being the wife of James Joyce? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the early 20th century and why Joyce's work did not always meet with approval? How did perception of his work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Joyce's work in America? Explain.
This section contains 1,693 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)