|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
3. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
4. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
5. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
2. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
3. What happened to Nora, Lucia and Stanislaus after Joyce's death?
4. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. From whom did Joyce need permission in order to leave France and which family was denied a visa to leave?
7. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
8. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
9. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
10. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)