|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
2. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
3. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
4. What word did the publisher have Joyce remove from DUBLINERS?
5. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
2. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
3. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
4. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
7. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
8. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
9. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
10. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. Why does the author call it simply JAMES JOYCE? What was he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the impact that Joyce's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a poor man in late 19th century Ireland? With what stigmas did Joyce live for his entire life? How did Joyce use his childhood experiences to create his life's work?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of James Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)