|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Joyce go to college?
2. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
3. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
4. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
5. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
2. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
3. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
4. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
7. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
8. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
9. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
10. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Joyce was befriended by some of the most famous literary talents in the world such as Ezra Pound and W.B. Yeats. Select one of Joyce's literary friends and compare and contrast his/her life and work to Joyce's.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Stanislaus Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)