Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
3. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
4. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
5. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
2. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
3. What happened to Nora, Lucia and Stanislaus after Joyce's death?
4. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. From whom did Joyce need permission in order to leave France and which family was denied a visa to leave?
7. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
8. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
9. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
10. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
Essay Topic 1
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of James Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,620 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)