|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
2. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
3. Which one of Joyce's siblings worked with him at the school in Trieste?
4. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
5. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
2. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
3. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
4. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
5. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
6. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
7. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
8. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
9. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
10. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would writers have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Nora have had an especially lonely life being the wife of James Joyce? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of James Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 1,129 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)