|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce searched for job vacancies at ______________________ throughout Europe.
2. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
3. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
4. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
5. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
2. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
3. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
4. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
5. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
6. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
7. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
8. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
9. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
10. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would writers have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Nora have had an especially lonely life being the wife of James Joyce? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in Ireland in the early twentieth century. What precedents did they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have? What did Nora and Joyce's mother have in common? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)