|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
2. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
3. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
5. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
2. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
3. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
4. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
5. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
6. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
7. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
8. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
9. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
10. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)