|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
2. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
3. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
4. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
5. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
2. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
3. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
4. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
5. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
6. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
7. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
8. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
9. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
10. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cultural climate in Europe in the early 20th century and why Joyce's work did not always meet with approval? How did perception of his work change as the years passed? What was the reception of Joyce's work in America? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Stanislaus Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)