|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
2. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
3. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
4. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
5. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
2. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
3. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
4. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
7. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
8. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
9. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
10. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Stanislaus Joyce. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What were his primary motivations during his life?
Essay Topic 2
From what you can glean from the author's descriptions, create a brief character study of Joyce's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? Was there ever any friction between him and Joyce? How did he reconcile with him? What emotional damage was done to the relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting and time period for Joyce's childhood What was Ireland like during this time period? How important are the time period and setting to the attitudes and issues of Joyce, his family and friends?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)