|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
2. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
3. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
4. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
5. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
2. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
3. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
4. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
5. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
6. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
7. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
8. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
9. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
10. What health problem did Joyce suffer and when did he return to Paris?
Essay Topic 1
Substance abuse seemed to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive was the abuse? Why did it have such a prevalent place in Joyce's life? How did it affect him? How did it affect those impacted by Joyce's abuse? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Nora Barnacle Joyce. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were some of her negative characteristics? What were her hopes and fears? What were her primary motivations during her life?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
This section contains 1,681 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)