|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
2. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
3. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
4. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
5. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
2. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
3. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
4. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
5. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
6. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
7. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
8. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
9. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
10. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the impact that Joyce's childhood had on him as an adult. What did it mean to be the son of a poor man in late 19th century Ireland? With what stigmas did Joyce live for his entire life? How did Joyce use his childhood experiences to create his life's work?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, characters and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embodied or experienced disappointment; then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)