|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
2. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
3. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
4. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
5. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
2. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
3. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
4. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
5. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
6. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
7. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
8. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
9. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
10. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of struggling with personal identity was an important one in this book. Describe how it extends through setting, character and issues and provide examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
James Joyce was no stranger to hurt and pain. From what you know of Joyce's life through this book, what were his biggest sorrows and worst betrayals? How did he manage through them? How did his coping skills evidence themselves in many aspects of his life? Explain.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)