|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease did Joyce's mother die?
2. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
3. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
4. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
5. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
2. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
3. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
4. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
5. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
6. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
7. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
8. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
9. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
10. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Ellmann was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Joyce was befriended by some of the most famous literary talents in the world such as Ezra Pound and W.B. Yeats. Select one of Joyce's literary friends and compare and contrast his/her life and work to Joyce's.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)