|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
2. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
3. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
4. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
5. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
2. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
3. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
4. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
5. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
6. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
7. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
8. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
9. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
10. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of Joyce's family in his life. What did it mean for each of the main characters? How did the family evolve in its support of each other? How typical was this family comapred to most Irish families living during the early-20th century?
Essay Topic 2
Religion takes on an almost human persona in this book. What was the source of the religious beliefs? How pervasive were the religious beliefs? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the book. Why would writers have a lonely life even though it may have seemed exciting and glamorous to other people? Why would Nora have had an especially lonely life being the wife of James Joyce? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)