|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
2. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
(a) Richard Galloway.
(b) Miguel Vasquez.
(c) Paul Leon.
(d) David Sloane.
3. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
4. Who was Valery Larbaud?
(a) French university president.
(b) French chef.
(c) French translator.
(d) French writer.
5. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 7,500 francs.
(c) 100,000 francs.
(d) 12,000 francs.
Short Answer Questions
1. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
2. What was the profession of the man in #88?
3. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
4. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
5. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
2. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
3. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
4. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
5. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
6. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
7. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
8. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
9. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
10. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)