|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What play did Joyce produce?
(c) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(d) Little Women.
2. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
3. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
(a) Edward Smith.
(b) William Cohen.
(c) Samuel Roth.
(d) Gerald Morrison.
4. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) A long neck.
(b) Crooked teeth.
(c) Lopsided ears.
(d) A scar.
5. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(d) Street Song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
2. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
3. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
4. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
5. What was the profession of the man in #88?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
2. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
3. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
4. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
5. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
6. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
7. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
8. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
9. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
10. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)