|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Universita Italia grant.
(b) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(c) Irish Heritage grant.
(d) Civil List grant.
2. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Harriet Weaver.
(c) Oscar Wilde.
(d) William Yeats.
3. Where was Joyce's play, EXILES, first performed?
4. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(c) Chamber Music.
5. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
Short Answer Questions
1. What play did Joyce produce?
2. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
3. What was Charlotte Sauermann's profession?
4. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
5. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
2. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
3. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
4. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
5. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
6. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
7. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
8. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
9. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
10. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)