|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to give him financial support.
(b) Just to satisfy their parents.
(c) Just to please their teachers.
(d) Just as a prank.
2. Which surgery did Nora have in 1929?
(a) Knee repair.
(d) Gallbladder removal.
3. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
(a) Royal Literature Fund grant.
(b) Irish Republic grant.
(c) Trieste Arts Council grant.
(d) Dublin University grant.
4. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
(a) He was ambivalent about it.
(b) He hated it.
(c) He thoroughly enjoyed it.
(d) He was growing to love it.
5. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
2. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
3. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
4. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
5. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
Short Essay Questions
1. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
2. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
3. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
4. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
5. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
6. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
7. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
8. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
9. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
10. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)