|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
(a) Used clothes.
2. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
3. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
(a) The maid.
(b) His physician.
(c) His attorney.
(d) The nanny.
4. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) David McGuire.
(b) Harriet Weaver.
(c) Margaret Howth.
(d) Cynthia Sloane.
5. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(b) The Remains of the Day.
(c) Walden Pond.
(d) Finnegan's Wake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
2. What did Giorgio name his son?
3. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
4. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
5. Who did Giorgio marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
2. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
3. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
4. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
5. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
6. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
7. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
8. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
9. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
10. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)