|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(c) Street Song.
2. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
(a) Emma Galloway.
(b) Ava Monroe.
(c) Sylvia Beach.
(d) Madeline Anderson.
3. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) David A. Halperin.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) Alfred Adler.
(d) Carl Jung.
4. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just as a prank.
(b) Just to satisfy their parents.
(c) Just to please their teachers.
(d) Just to give him financial support.
5. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
(a) Lucia's diary.
(b) Stanislaus' letters.
(c) Nora's dream journal.
(d) Girogio's journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Valery Larbaud?
2. What play did Joyce produce?
3. What was the profession of the man in #88?
4. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
5. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
2. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
3. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
4. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
5. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
6. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
7. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
8. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
9. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
10. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)