|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
(a) George Bernard Shaw.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) William Yeats.
2. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Distributed flyers.
(b) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
(c) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
(d) Performed a song and dance on stage.
3. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to give him financial support.
(b) Just to please their teachers.
(c) Just as a prank.
(d) Just to satisfy their parents.
4. Who did Giorgio marry?
5. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
(a) Julia Galloway.
(b) Celestine Morrow.
(c) Estelle Grammercy.
(d) Martha Fleischmann.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
2. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
3. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
4. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
5. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
2. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
3. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
4. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
5. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
6. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
7. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
8. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
9. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
10. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)