|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
(a) Used clothes.
2. What play did Joyce produce?
(a) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(c) Little Women.
3. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
(a) David Sloane.
(b) Paul Leon.
(c) Richard Galloway.
(d) Miguel Vasquez.
4. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) Margaret Howth.
(b) Cynthia Sloane.
(c) Harriet Weaver.
(d) David McGuire.
5. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
(b) Distributed flyers.
(c) Performed a song and dance on stage.
(d) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
2. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
3. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
4. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
5. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
2. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
3. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
4. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
5. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
6. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
7. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
8. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
9. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
10. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)