|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) Musical instruments.
(b) Good schools.
(c) A new apartment.
(d) Gourmet food.
2. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Herbert Gorman.
3. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) The Remains of the Day.
(b) Walden Pond.
(c) Finnegan's Wake.
(d) The Importance of Being Earnest.
4. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Harriet Weaver.
(d) William Yeats.
5. What was the profession of the man in #88?
Short Answer Questions
1. By 1918, Giorgio excelled at singing and ________________.
2. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
3. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
4. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
5. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
Short Essay Questions
1. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
2. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
3. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
4. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
5. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
6. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
7. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
8. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
9. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
10. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)