|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
2. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
3. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
(a) He weighed 112 pounds.
(b) He was almost blind.
(c) He was bedridden.
(d) He had bad teeth.
4. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(b) Cafes and clubs.
(c) The seaside.
5. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) David A. Halperin.
(b) Alfred Adler.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
2. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
3. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
4. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
5. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
2. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
3. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
4. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
5. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
6. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
7. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
8. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
9. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
10. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)