|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(c) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
2. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
3. What was the profession of the man in #88?
4. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
5. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Universita Italia grant.
(b) Civil List grant.
(c) Irish Heritage grant.
(d) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
2. Which surgery did Nora have in 1929?
3. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
4. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
5. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
2. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
3. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
4. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
5. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
6. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
7. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
8. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
9. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
10. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)