|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
2. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
3. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
4. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She boarded herself up in her room.
(b) She ran naked out of the house.
(c) She threw a chair at her mother.
(d) She ate nasturtiums.
5. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
2. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
3. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
5. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
2. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
3. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
4. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
5. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
6. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
7. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
8. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
9. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
10. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)