|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
(a) Trieste Arts Council grant.
(b) Royal Literature Fund grant.
(c) Dublin University grant.
(d) Irish Republic grant.
2. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
3. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 7,500 francs.
(c) 12,000 francs.
(d) 100,000 francs.
4. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
5. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) George Bernard Shaw.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
2. What did Giorgio name his son?
3. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
4. Where was Joyce's play, EXILES, first performed?
5. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
2. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
3. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
4. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
5. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
6. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
7. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
8. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
9. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
10. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)