|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) A long neck.
(b) Crooked teeth.
(c) Lopsided ears.
(d) A scar.
2. Where was Joyce's play, EXILES, first performed?
3. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
(a) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
4. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(b) Street Song.
5. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
(a) Used clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
2. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
3. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
4. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
5. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
2. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
3. With whom did Joyce have an affair in 1918?
4. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
5. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
6. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
7. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
8. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
9. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
10. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)