|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
2. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
3. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) A new apartment.
(b) Good schools.
(c) Musical instruments.
(d) Gourmet food.
4. What was Charlotte Sauermann's profession?
5. Who did Giorgio marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
2. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
3. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
4. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
5. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
2. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
3. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
4. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
5. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
6. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
7. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
8. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
9. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
10. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)