|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
(a) He was almost blind.
(b) He weighed 112 pounds.
(c) He had bad teeth.
(d) He was bedridden.
2. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
(a) Miguel Vasquez.
(b) David Sloane.
(c) Paul Leon.
(d) Richard Galloway.
3. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
4. What pursuit did Giorgio enjoy?
(b) Writing poetry.
5. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
2. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
3. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
4. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
5. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
2. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
3. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
4. Who was the French writer introduced to Joyce in the 1921-1922 period?
5. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
6. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
7. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
8. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
9. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
10. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)