|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
2. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
3. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
4. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
5. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
Short Answer Questions
1. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
2. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
3. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
4. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
5. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
2. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
3. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
4. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
5. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
6. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
7. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
8. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
9. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
10. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)