|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) Crooked teeth.
(b) Lopsided ears.
(c) A scar.
(d) A long neck.
2. Which actor in the play in #97 brought a lawsuit against Joyce?
(a) Avery Galloway.
(b) Harold Morrison.
(c) Henry Carr.
(d) Sean Grady.
3. With whom did the Joyce family share an apartment?
(a) Philipp Janach.
(b) Edward Sloane.
(c) Marcus Garibaldi.
(d) Steven Donnely.
4. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
(b) Performed a song and dance on stage.
(c) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
(d) Distributed flyers.
5. What did Giorgio name his son?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
2. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
3. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
4. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
5. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
Short Essay Questions
1. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
2. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
3. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
4. How did Joyce continue to use his family as inspiration for his work?
5. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
6. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
7. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
8. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
9. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
10. Who agrees to publish Joyce's EXILES and ULYSSES in spite of mediocre reviews by Joyce's fellow writers?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)