|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 7,500 francs.
(b) 1,000 francs.
(c) 12,000 francs.
(d) 100,000 francs.
2. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
3. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) David McGuire.
(b) Margaret Howth.
(c) Harriet Weaver.
(d) Cynthia Sloane.
4. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
5. What play did Joyce produce?
(c) Little Women.
(d) The Importance of Being Earnest.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
2. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
3. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
4. With whom did the Joyce family share an apartment?
5. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
2. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
3. Which of Joyce's works are banned during this period?
4. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
5. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
6. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
7. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
8. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
9. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
10. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)