|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Civil List grant.
(b) Universita Italia grant.
(c) Irish Heritage grant.
(d) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
2. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
3. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 7,500 francs.
(b) 12,000 francs.
(c) 1,000 francs.
(d) 100,000 francs.
4. Who did Giorgio marry?
5. Who was the owner of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore?
(a) Anna Wintour.
(b) Sylvia Beach.
(c) Margot Eliot.
(d) Madeline Krazinski.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
2. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
3. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
4. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
5. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
2. What health problems plagued Joyce during this period and what new work did he envision?
3. What play did Joyce produce and what problem did he have with the lead actor?
4. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
5. How did Joyce perceive Trieste upon his return in 1919?
6. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
7. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
8. What was Joyce's demeanor upon his move to Paris and what help did he continue to receive from friends?
9. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
10. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)