|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the profession of the man in #88?
2. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
3. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
4. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Emily Dickinson.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
5. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) David A. Halperin.
(b) Carl Jung.
(c) Alfred Adler.
(d) Sigmund Freud.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Giorgio name his son?
2. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
3. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
4. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
5. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were ULYSSES and EXILES received differently at this point in time?
2. What health problems did Joyce have to manage during this time?
3. Which playwright refused to buy an advance copy of ULYSSES?
4. Where did Joyce spend much of his time in the 1916-1918 period?
5. Where did Joyce move his family after Harriet Weaver sent some money?
6. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
7. How did Joyce take advantage of his health problems to publicize a theater one night?
8. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
9. How was ULYSSES received in the 1922-1923 time period?
10. How long had the Joyces been in Trieste in 1915 and what was Joyce's life like at this point?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)