|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He is not a French citizen.
(b) His French is not good enough.
(c) He is too young.
(d) He does not have the academic credits.
2. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
3. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) Diamond earrings.
(b) A fur coat.
(c) High heels.
(d) A wedding band.
4. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
5. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
2. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
3. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
4. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
5. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joyce have to do when a man in the U.S. pirated ULYSSES?
2. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
3. Describe Joyce's interactions with his family in the 1929-1932 timeframe.
4. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
5. What surgery did Joyce undergo in January of 1941?
6. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
7. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
8. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
9. What health problem did Joyce suffer and when did he return to Paris?
10. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)