|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Taught English.
(b) Sold men's clothes.
(c) Cooked at a diner.
(d) Drove a cab.
2. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
3. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
4. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
(a) He addressed them directly.
(b) He drank heavily.
(c) He slept.
(d) He did drugs.
5. From what disease did Joyce's mother die?
(b) Lead poisoning.
(c) Heart disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
2. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
3. Where did Joyce and Nora live in 1904?
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
5. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
2. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
3. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
4. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
5. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
6. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
7. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
8. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
9. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
10. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)