|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Joyce's governess?
(a) Mrs. Dante.
(b) Mrs. O'Hara.
(c) Mrs. Heiby.
(d) Mrs. Collins.
2. Why had Joyce and Nora not yet married?
(a) They didn't have the money for a wedding.
(b) Nora was not sure she loved him.
(c) They wanted to rebel against society.
(d) Joyce did not want to get married.
3. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He is too young.
(b) He is not a French citizen.
(c) His French is not good enough.
(d) He does not have the academic credits.
4. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
(a) He drank heavily.
(b) He addressed them directly.
(c) He slept.
(d) He did drugs.
5. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
2. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
3. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
4. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
5. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
2. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
3. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
4. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
5. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
6. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
7. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
8. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
9. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
10. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)