|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
2. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
(a) He could not afford the rent.
(b) He wanted a waterfront flat.
(c) He and Nora were not married and she was pregnant.
(d) He wanted something close to work.
3. Who was the publisher who agreed to print DUBLINERS?
(a) Patrick Shannon.
(b) Grant Richard.
(c) Morris Stanton.
(d) Edward Sloane.
4. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
5. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
(a) To learn how to sail.
(b) To become a professor.
(c) To travel the world.
(d) To visit Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
2. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
3. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
4. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
5. What did Joyce consider to be life's most important relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
2. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
3. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
4. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
5. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
6. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
7. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
8. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
9. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
10. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)