|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
2. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
(b) Coat of arms.
(c) Red hair.
3. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
(a) Harold Sloane.
(b) Barry Connely.
(c) Leopold Bloom.
(d) Peter Gallagher.
4. From what disease did Joyce's mother die?
(c) Lead poisoning.
(d) Heart disease.
5. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
2. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's literary works?
3. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
4. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
5. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
2. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
3. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
4. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
5. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
6. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
7. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
8. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
9. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
10. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)