|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He was very witty.
(b) He took on more responsibilities.
(c) He always worked overtime.
(d) He brought in wealthy students.
2. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
(a) Stephen Hero.
(b) John Paulus.
(c) David Trimble.
(d) Michael Collins.
3. What did Joyce and Nora name their new daughter?
4. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
5. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
2. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
3. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
4. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
5. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
2. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
3. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
4. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
5. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
6. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
7. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
8. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
9. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
10. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)