|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
(a) David Trimble.
(b) Michael Collins.
(c) John Paulus.
(d) Stephen Hero.
2. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He wanted to run for public office.
(b) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
(c) He was homesick.
(d) His mother was ill.
3. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Miguel Ramirez.
(b) Marcus Jameson.
(c) Patrick Connelly.
(d) Oliver Gogarty.
4. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Sold men's clothes.
(b) Taught English.
(c) Drove a cab.
(d) Cooked at a diner.
5. Who was Joyce's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
2. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
3. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
4. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
5. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
2. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
3. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
4. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
5. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
6. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
7. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
8. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
9. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
10. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)