|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
2. Why did the manager of the school love Joyce?
(a) He brought in wealthy students.
(b) He took on more responsibilities.
(c) He always worked overtime.
(d) He was very witty.
3. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
(a) He slept.
(b) He drank heavily.
(c) He addressed them directly.
(d) He did drugs.
4. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(c) Boating accident.
(d) Typhoid Fever.
5. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Volta.
(b) The Phoenix.
(c) The Guild.
(d) The Standard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
2. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
3. Where did Joyce go to college?
4. Why did Joyce have trouble finding housing in Trieste?
5. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
2. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
3. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
4. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
5. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
6. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
7. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
8. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
9. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
10. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)