|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
2. What expensive item did Joyce buy for Nora in Galway?
(c) Fur coat.
3. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
(a) A sociopath.
(b) A bohemian.
(c) A martyr.
(d) A philanthropist.
4. Joyce was assured that he had a job waiting for him in which Italian city?
5. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
2. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
3. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
4. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
5. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
2. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
3. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
4. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
5. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
6. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
7. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
8. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
9. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
10. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
This section contains 1,074 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)