|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
2. Where did Joyce consider moving his family when he lost his job in Rome?
(d) Monte Carlo.
3. In what city was Joyce born?
4. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
5. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(c) Boating accident.
(d) Typhoid Fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
2. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
3. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
4. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
5. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
2. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
3. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
4. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
5. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
6. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
7. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
8. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
9. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
10. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)