|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
2. Where did Joyce go to college?
(a) Griffith College.
(b) University College.
(c) Trinity College.
(d) Oxford University.
3. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
4. Which friend did Joyce make in college who remained a good friend for many years?
5. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) His French is not good enough.
(b) He is not a French citizen.
(c) He does not have the academic credits.
(d) He is too young.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Joyce's mother?
2. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
3. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
4. How many mortgages did Joyce's father have to take out to support his family?
5. What religion did the Joyce family practice?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
2. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
3. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
4. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
5. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
6. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
7. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
8. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
9. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
10. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)