|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
2. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
(a) To visit Russia.
(b) To become a professor.
(c) To travel the world.
(d) To learn how to sail.
3. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(a) My Father's Song.
(c) Chamber Music.
4. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
(a) He got ill.
(b) He couldn't get funding.
(c) His father died.
(d) He left for Vienna.
5. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) June 25 1860.
(b) May 7, 1907.
(c) February 2, 1882.
(d) September 15, 1865.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
2. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
3. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
4. Who was Joyce's governess?
5. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
2. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
3. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
4. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
5. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
6. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
7. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
8. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
9. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
10. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
This section contains 1,241 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)