|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
(c) St. Martin's.
2. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Henry David Thoreau.
(d) William Yeats.
3. School records show that Joyce was punished for ______________________.
(a) Being late.
(d) Vulgar language.
4. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a publishing company.
(b) At a university.
(c) At a bank.
(d) At a restaurant.
5. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
2. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
3. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
4. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
5. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surgeries did Joyce require in 1923?
2. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
3. When was Lucia settled in the countryside and which other family member was also having psychological problems?
4. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
5. What was the status of Joyce's biography and what did the biographer allow Joyce to do with the book?
6. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
7. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
8. How did Ezra Pound help Joyce during this period of his life?
9. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
10. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)