|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Joyce's newspaper never take off?
(a) His father died.
(b) He got ill.
(c) He couldn't get funding.
(d) He left for Vienna.
2. Who was the main character in Joyce's ULYSSES?
(a) Barry Connely.
(b) Leopold Bloom.
(c) Peter Gallagher.
(d) Harold Sloane.
3. What did Joyce do to earn extra money?
(a) Taught English.
(b) Drove a cab.
(c) Sold men's clothes.
(d) Cooked at a diner.
4. Joyce searched for job vacancies at ______________________ throughout Europe.
(b) Berlitz schools.
(d) Travel agencies.
5. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
(a) He does not have the academic credits.
(b) He is not a French citizen.
(c) He is too young.
(d) His French is not good enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
2. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
3. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
4. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
5. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
2. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
3. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
4. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
5. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
6. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
7. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
8. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
9. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
10. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)