|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joyce and Nora name their son?
2. When was Joyce's birthday?
(a) February 2, 1882.
(b) September 15, 1865.
(c) June 25 1860.
(d) May 7, 1907.
3. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Volta.
(b) The Phoenix.
(c) The Standard.
(d) The Guild.
4. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(c) Typhoid Fever.
(d) Boating accident.
5. Who was Joyce's father?
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce had physical problems with iritis and _________________.
2. Where did the Joyces move when World War I broke out?
3. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
4. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
5. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
2. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
3. What was Joyce like as a young child in school and for what was he frequently punished?
4. How did Joyce use family relationships in his work and why did Ellmann think Joyce did so?
5. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
6. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
7. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
8. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
9. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
10. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)