|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel did Joyce begin to write in 1904?
(a) Cheri and The Last of Cheri.
(b) From Here to Eternity.
(c) For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
2. Where is Joyce transferred when he is forced to leave the position in #41?
(b) New York.
3. Which of Joyce's sisters came to live with him in Trieste?
4. Which book of Joyce's was published in 1907 but for which he received no money?
(a) My Father's Song.
(b) Chamber Music.
5. Which of the following was NOT one of Joyce's activities in 1904?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
2. What preparatory school did Joyce and his younger brother attend?
3. Who was Joyce's governess?
4. Who is the girl Joyce began to date in 1904?
5. Joyce's father took special pride in the family's ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What efforts did Joyce make during this period to get some of his work published?
2. Why did Joyce decide to return to Zurich and what problems did he encounter when trying to obtain visas for the family?
3. How was ULYSSES prepared for publication and who refused to read it?
4. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
5. What was the impetus that pushed Joyce to finally marry Nora?
6. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
7. What health problem did Joyce suffer and when did he return to Paris?
8. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
9. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
10. What complications did the Joyces encounter at the Swiss border?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)