|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
(a) A fur coat.
(b) High heels.
(c) A wedding band.
(d) Diamond earrings.
2. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
3. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
4. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
(a) A martyr.
(b) A sociopath.
(c) A bohemian.
(d) A philanthropist.
5. Which writer wrote to Joyce asking for some of Joyce's work to be included in an anthology?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) William Yeats.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
2. How did Joyce choose to deal with his troubles?
3. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
4. How many children did Joyce's parents have?
5. What was one of Joyce's two main goals in 1909?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joyce do when he still had money problems upon his return to Trieste?
2. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
3. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
4. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
5. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
6. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
7. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
8. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
9. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
10. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)