|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT true about Joyce's younger brother?
(a) He was determined.
(b) He was blunt.
(c) He was athletic.
(d) He was artistic.
2. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
3. Joyce had a falling out with his old friend and replaced him with ____________________.
(a) Patrick Connelly.
(b) Oliver Gogarty.
(c) Miguel Ramirez.
(d) Marcus Jameson.
4. Joyce always had a talent for __________________.
(a) Playing the violin.
5. Who was Joyce's younger brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Joyce go when there was no position for him in Italy?
2. What did Joyce forbid Nora to wear on the trip in #68?
3. Joyce could not attend school in the city in #25 because the school wants the fees right away and __________________.
4. Joyce was working on stories that would become which book?
5. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
2. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
3. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
4. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
5. How did Joyce's professional relationship with Yeats begin?
6. What type of writing did Joyce find interesting at this time and which author even sent Joyce a letter?
7. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
8. What bad luck awaited Joyce when he went to Trieste for a position at a Berlitz school?
9. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
10. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)