|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(a) Boating accident.
(c) Typhoid Fever.
2. Who was Joyce's mother?
3. What was the name of the theater that Joyce established?
(a) The Standard.
(b) The Volta.
(c) The Phoenix.
(d) The Guild.
4. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
(a) He was homesick.
(b) He wanted to run for public office.
(c) He wanted to teach in Ireland.
(d) His mother was ill.
5. Who was the favorite child in the Joyce family?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
2. Which of Joyce's brothers died young?
3. Who saved Joyce's draft of PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN when he tossed it into the fire?
4. Who was the London acquaintance who helped Joyce search for jobs?
5. The city in #43 is known for being _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joyce's personal and professional challenges when he returned to Paris in 1903.
2. What role did Stanislaus play in Joyce's life in 1905-1906?
3. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
4. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
5. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
6. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
7. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
8. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
9. What difficulties did Joyce encounter when trying to enroll in classes in Paris in 1902-1903?
10. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)