|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1912 Joyce sent Nora and Lucia on a trip to __________________.
2. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
3. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
4. Who was Joyce's boss in the city in #41?
5. Joyce left Trieste and took a job _________________ in Rome.
(a) At a restaurant.
(b) At a bank.
(c) At a publishing company.
(d) At a university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Joyce go to college?
2. Joyce wrote a review of a play written by _________________ and received a complimentary letter from the playwright himself.
3. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
4. Who was the main character in the novel in #32?
5. Which writer began to help Joyce with publishing his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
2. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
3. What was the source of a major break between Joyce and Nora in 1909 and what happened after he and Nora reconciled?
4. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
5. What was always an important source of inspiration for Joyce's writing?
6. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
7. What was Joyce's relationship like with his father and how many siblings did Joyce have?
8. How did Joyce come to be in Pola in Yugoslavia and why did he eventually leave?
9. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
10. When was Joyce born and who had a strong influence on him as a boy?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)