|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the cause of the death of Joyce's brother?
(b) Boating accident.
(d) Typhoid Fever.
2. Joyce is a name of ________________ origin.
3. Who was Joyce's father?
4. What was the name of the newspaper Joyce wanted to start?
(a) The Shamrock.
(b) The Goblin.
(c) The Dubliner.
(d) The Standard.
5. The Joyces moved in with which family in Trieste?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Joyce go to further his studies?
2. Why did Joyce eventually return home from Paris?
3. Joyce briefly considered a career in _______________.
4. Joyce could be categorized as ____________________.
5. Who was Joyce's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joyce's father, John's, young life in Ireland.
2. How was Joyce perceived in the literary community in Dublin in 1902?
3. What was the nature of Joyce's work in the 1907-1909 period?
4. Describe the difficult time Joyce had in Rome while working at the bank.
5. When did Joyce meet Nora Barnacle and what was she like?
6. What was Joyce like as a college student at University College in Dublin?
7. What did Ellmann think were some of the inspirations for Joyce's novel ULYSSES?
8. Who was the publisher who wanted to publish DUBLINERS and what change did he require that offended Joyce?
9. Describe the salient points of Ellmann's explanation of Joyce's writing of "The Dead".
10. What two major forces occurred for Joyce during this disgruntled period in his life?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)