|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) David McGuire.
(b) Cynthia Sloane.
(c) Harriet Weaver.
(d) Margaret Howth.
2. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
3. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to please their teachers.
(b) Just to give him financial support.
(c) Just to satisfy their parents.
(d) Just as a prank.
4. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(b) Ireland Today.
(d) Little Review.
5. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
(a) They did not think they could make any money on it.
(b) It was too large for their facilities.
(c) They would get in trouble with the censors.
(d) They thought it was not yet complete.
6. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
7. Who did Giorgio marry?
8. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
(a) Dublin University grant.
(b) Royal Literature Fund grant.
(c) Trieste Arts Council grant.
(d) Irish Republic grant.
9. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
10. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
(a) Herbert Gorman.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Henry Miller.
(d) William Yeats.
11. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
(a) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
12. By 1918, Giorgio excelled at singing and ________________.
13. Which surgery did Nora have in 1929?
(a) Knee repair.
(b) Gallbladder removal.
14. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
15. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
2. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
3. What was the profession of the man in #88?
4. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
5. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)