|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
2. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
3. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She threw a chair at her mother.
(b) She boarded herself up in her room.
(c) She ate nasturtiums.
(d) She ran naked out of the house.
4. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
(a) Stanislaus' letters.
(b) Nora's dream journal.
(c) Lucia's diary.
(d) Girogio's journal.
5. Who was the owner of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore?
(a) Margot Eliot.
(b) Madeline Krazinski.
(c) Sylvia Beach.
(d) Anna Wintour.
6. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(d) Street Song.
7. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to give him financial support.
(b) Just to satisfy their parents.
(c) Just as a prank.
(d) Just to please their teachers.
8. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
9. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
(a) Joyce's father.
(b) Joyce's uncle.
(c) Nora's sister.
(d) Nora's uncle.
10. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) Cynthia Sloane.
(b) Margaret Howth.
(c) David McGuire.
(d) Harriet Weaver.
11. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(a) Chamber Music.
(c) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
12. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
(a) Miguel Vasquez.
(b) Richard Galloway.
(c) David Sloane.
(d) Paul Leon.
13. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
14. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(a) Little Review.
(d) Ireland Today.
15. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
(a) Edward Smith.
(b) Gerald Morrison.
(c) William Cohen.
(d) Samuel Roth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
2. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
3. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
4. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
5. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)