|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Giorgio name his son?
2. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
(a) Dublin University grant.
(b) Royal Literature Fund grant.
(c) Irish Republic grant.
(d) Trieste Arts Council grant.
3. Which surgery did Nora have in 1929?
(b) Knee repair.
(d) Gallbladder removal.
4. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) Lopsided ears.
(b) A long neck.
(c) Crooked teeth.
(d) A scar.
5. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
(a) Stanislaus' letters.
(b) Nora's dream journal.
(c) Girogio's journal.
(d) Lucia's diary.
6. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
(a) Gerald Morrison.
(b) William Cohen.
(c) Samuel Roth.
(d) Edward Smith.
7. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
8. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
9. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
10. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
(a) Chamber Music.
(c) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
11. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(a) Street Song.
12. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
(a) He weighed 112 pounds.
(b) He was bedridden.
(c) He had bad teeth.
(d) He was almost blind.
13. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) Good schools.
(b) Gourmet food.
(c) A new apartment.
(d) Musical instruments.
14. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
15. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
2. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
3. Who did Giorgio marry?
4. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
5. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)