|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(a) Little Review.
(d) Ireland Today.
2. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
(a) Paul Leon.
(b) Richard Galloway.
(c) David Sloane.
(d) Miguel Vasquez.
3. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 12,000 francs.
(b) 100,000 francs.
(c) 7,500 francs.
(d) 1,000 francs.
4. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(a) Street Song.
5. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) Good schools.
(b) A new apartment.
(c) Gourmet food.
(d) Musical instruments.
6. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
7. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
8. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
9. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
10. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
11. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
12. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
13. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
14. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
15. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
2. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
3. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
4. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
5. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)