|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) A new apartment.
(b) Gourmet food.
(c) Musical instruments.
(d) Good schools.
2. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
(a) Gerald Morrison.
(b) Samuel Roth.
(c) Edward Smith.
(d) William Cohen.
3. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(d) Chamber Music.
4. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(b) Cafes and clubs.
(d) The seaside.
5. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
6. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(c) Street Song.
7. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
8. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
(a) Lucia's diary.
(b) Stanislaus' letters.
(c) Girogio's journal.
(d) Nora's dream journal.
9. What issue still continued to haunt Joyce in 1915?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Relationship problems.
(c) Financial problems.
(d) Legal problems.
10. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to please their teachers.
(b) Just to give him financial support.
(c) Just as a prank.
(d) Just to satisfy their parents.
11. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
(a) They would get in trouble with the censors.
(b) They thought it was not yet complete.
(c) It was too large for their facilities.
(d) They did not think they could make any money on it.
12. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
13. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
(a) He was growing to love it.
(b) He hated it.
(c) He thoroughly enjoyed it.
(d) He was ambivalent about it.
14. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
15. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
2. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
3. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
4. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
5. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)