|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which actor in the play in #97 brought a lawsuit against Joyce?
(a) Henry Carr.
(b) Harold Morrison.
(c) Sean Grady.
(d) Avery Galloway.
2. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(a) Ireland Today.
(b) Little Review.
3. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(a) The seaside.
(d) Cafes and clubs.
4. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
5. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
(a) Emma Galloway.
(b) Ava Monroe.
(c) Madeline Anderson.
(d) Sylvia Beach.
6. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
7. Who was Valery Larbaud?
(a) French chef.
(b) French writer.
(c) French translator.
(d) French university president.
8. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
9. Who was the owner of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore?
(a) Margot Eliot.
(b) Sylvia Beach.
(c) Madeline Krazinski.
(d) Anna Wintour.
10. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
(a) His attorney.
(b) The nanny.
(c) The maid.
(d) His physician.
11. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
12. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
13. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
(a) Trieste Arts Council grant.
(b) Royal Literature Fund grant.
(c) Irish Republic grant.
(d) Dublin University grant.
14. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
15. What issue still continued to haunt Joyce in 1915?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Financial problems.
(c) Relationship problems.
(d) Legal problems.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
2. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
3. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
4. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
5. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)