|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
2. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(b) Finnegan's Wake.
(c) The Remains of the Day.
(d) Walden Pond.
3. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
4. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
(a) He was growing to love it.
(b) He hated it.
(c) He was ambivalent about it.
(d) He thoroughly enjoyed it.
5. What was the profession of the man in #88?
6. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(a) The seaside.
(b) Cafes and clubs.
7. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) George Bernard Shaw.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) William Yeats.
8. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Harriet Weaver.
9. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
(a) Paul Leon.
(b) David Sloane.
(c) Miguel Vasquez.
(d) Richard Galloway.
10. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
11. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
12. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
13. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
14. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(b) Street Song.
15. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
(a) His physician.
(b) The maid.
(c) The nanny.
(d) His attorney.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
2. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
3. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
4. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
5. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)