|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
(b) Performed a song and dance on stage.
(c) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
(d) Distributed flyers.
2. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
3. Who was Valery Larbaud?
(a) French writer.
(b) French chef.
(c) French university president.
(d) French translator.
4. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
(a) Joyce's uncle.
(b) Nora's sister.
(c) Joyce's father.
(d) Nora's uncle.
5. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
(b) Used clothes.
6. What was Charlotte Sauermann's profession?
7. Where was Joyce's play, EXILES, first performed?
8. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
(a) They would get in trouble with the censors.
(b) They thought it was not yet complete.
(c) It was too large for their facilities.
(d) They did not think they could make any money on it.
9. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
10. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
11. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
12. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
13. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Harriet Weaver.
(c) William Yeats.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
14. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
15. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
2. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
3. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
4. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
5. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)