|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
2. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
(a) William Yeats.
(b) Herbert Gorman.
(c) Henry Miller.
(d) Ezra Pound.
3. What did Giorgio name his son?
4. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
(a) They thought it was not yet complete.
(b) It was too large for their facilities.
(c) They did not think they could make any money on it.
(d) They would get in trouble with the censors.
5. What pursuit did Giorgio enjoy?
(a) Writing poetry.
6. What issue still continued to haunt Joyce in 1915?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Financial problems.
(c) Legal problems.
(d) Relationship problems.
7. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
8. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
(a) Stanislaus' letters.
(b) Nora's dream journal.
(c) Girogio's journal.
(d) Lucia's diary.
9. By 1918, Giorgio excelled at singing and ________________.
10. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
11. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
(a) Royal Literature Fund grant.
(b) Irish Republic grant.
(c) Dublin University grant.
(d) Trieste Arts Council grant.
12. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(b) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
13. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
14. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) George Bernard Shaw.
(d) William Yeats.
15. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
2. Who did Giorgio marry?
3. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
5. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)