|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
2. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
(a) Herbert Gorman.
(b) William Yeats.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Henry Miller.
3. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
4. With whom did the Joyce family share an apartment?
(a) Marcus Garibaldi.
(b) Philipp Janach.
(c) Edward Sloane.
(d) Steven Donnely.
5. By 1918, Giorgio excelled at singing and ________________.
6. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to satisfy their parents.
(b) Just to please their teachers.
(c) Just as a prank.
(d) Just to give him financial support.
7. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She ran naked out of the house.
(b) She boarded herself up in her room.
(c) She ate nasturtiums.
(d) She threw a chair at her mother.
8. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
9. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(b) Chamber Music.
(c) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
10. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
11. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) George Bernard Shaw.
(c) William Yeats.
(d) Ezra Pound.
12. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) Alfred Adler.
(b) Sigmund Freud.
(c) David A. Halperin.
(d) Carl Jung.
13. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
14. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) The Remains of the Day.
(b) Walden Pond.
(c) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(d) Finnegan's Wake.
15. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
(a) His physician.
(b) The maid.
(c) The nanny.
(d) His attorney.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
2. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
3. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
4. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
5. Who was Valery Larbaud?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)