|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(b) Chamber Music.
2. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to give him financial support.
(b) Just as a prank.
(c) Just to please their teachers.
(d) Just to satisfy their parents.
3. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) Harriet Weaver.
(b) Margaret Howth.
(c) Cynthia Sloane.
(d) David McGuire.
4. Who was Valery Larbaud?
(a) French chef.
(b) French translator.
(c) French university president.
(d) French writer.
5. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
6. What play did Joyce produce?
(a) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(b) Little Women.
7. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
8. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
9. What did Giorgio name his son?
10. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
11. What was the profession of the man in #88?
12. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) Crooked teeth.
(b) A scar.
(c) A long neck.
(d) Lopsided ears.
13. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 12,000 francs.
(b) 100,000 francs.
(c) 7,500 francs.
(d) 1,000 francs.
14. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
15. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Civil List grant.
(b) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(c) Irish Heritage grant.
(d) Universita Italia grant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
2. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
3. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
4. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
5. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)