|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
2. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 100,000 francs.
(c) 12,000 francs.
(d) 7,500 francs.
3. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
(a) Nora's dream journal.
(b) Girogio's journal.
(c) Lucia's diary.
(d) Stanislaus' letters.
4. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
5. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She boarded herself up in her room.
(b) She ate nasturtiums.
(c) She ran naked out of the house.
(d) She threw a chair at her mother.
6. Who was Valery Larbaud?
(a) French university president.
(b) French chef.
(c) French translator.
(d) French writer.
7. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
(a) Ava Monroe.
(b) Emma Galloway.
(c) Madeline Anderson.
(d) Sylvia Beach.
8. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) Finnegan's Wake.
(b) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(c) Walden Pond.
(d) The Remains of the Day.
9. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
10. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
11. What did Giorgio name his son?
12. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
(a) Joyce's uncle.
(b) Nora's uncle.
(c) Nora's sister.
(d) Joyce's father.
13. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
14. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
15. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) Alfred Adler.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) David A. Halperin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue still continued to haunt Joyce in 1915?
2. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
3. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
4. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
5. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)