|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
2. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) George Bernard Shaw.
(c) William Yeats.
(d) Ezra Pound.
3. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
(a) Julia Galloway.
(b) Martha Fleischmann.
(c) Estelle Grammercy.
(d) Celestine Morrow.
4. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
5. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(c) Ireland Today.
(d) Little Review.
6. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
(b) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
7. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
8. Which actor in the play in #97 brought a lawsuit against Joyce?
(a) Avery Galloway.
(b) Henry Carr.
(c) Sean Grady.
(d) Harold Morrison.
9. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She ate nasturtiums.
(b) She boarded herself up in her room.
(c) She threw a chair at her mother.
(d) She ran naked out of the house.
10. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
11. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
12. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
(a) Joyce's father.
(b) Nora's sister.
(c) Nora's uncle.
(d) Joyce's uncle.
13. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) Crooked teeth.
(b) Lopsided ears.
(c) A long neck.
(d) A scar.
14. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(b) Cafes and clubs.
(d) The seaside.
15. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(c) Street Song.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
2. What did Giorgio name his son?
3. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
4. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
5. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)