|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom did the Joyce family share an apartment?
(a) Edward Sloane.
(b) Philipp Janach.
(c) Steven Donnely.
(d) Marcus Garibaldi.
2. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
(a) He was bedridden.
(b) He was almost blind.
(c) He had bad teeth.
(d) He weighed 112 pounds.
3. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) Finnegan's Wake.
(b) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(c) Walden Pond.
(d) The Remains of the Day.
4. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
5. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
6. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
(a) Harriet Weaver.
(b) Oscar Wilde.
(c) William Yeats.
(d) Ezra Pound.
7. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
8. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
(a) They would get in trouble with the censors.
(b) They thought it was not yet complete.
(c) They did not think they could make any money on it.
(d) It was too large for their facilities.
9. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(c) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
10. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
(b) Performed a song and dance on stage.
(c) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
(d) Distributed flyers.
11. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
(a) Estelle Grammercy.
(b) Celestine Morrow.
(c) Martha Fleischmann.
(d) Julia Galloway.
12. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
(a) Samuel Roth.
(b) Edward Smith.
(c) Gerald Morrison.
(d) William Cohen.
13. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
14. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
15. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became Joyce's unpaid secretary?
2. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
3. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
4. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
5. What did Giorgio name his son?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)