|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Civil List grant.
(b) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(c) Irish Heritage grant.
(d) Universita Italia grant.
2. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) Lopsided ears.
(b) A long neck.
(c) A scar.
(d) Crooked teeth.
3. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
4. Why did printers refuse to publish PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN?
(a) They would get in trouble with the censors.
(b) They did not think they could make any money on it.
(c) It was too large for their facilities.
(d) They thought it was not yet complete.
5. What play did Joyce produce?
(a) Little Women.
(d) The Importance of Being Earnest.
6. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
7. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
8. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
9. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
(a) Used clothes.
10. Who did Giorgio marry?
11. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(a) The seaside.
(c) Cafes and clubs.
12. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
(a) Edward Smith.
(b) Samuel Roth.
(c) Gerald Morrison.
(d) William Cohen.
13. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
14. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) Cynthia Sloane.
(b) David McGuire.
(c) Margaret Howth.
(d) Harriet Weaver.
15. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
2. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
3. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
4. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
5. What was the profession of the man in #88?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)