|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
2. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) Good schools.
(b) A new apartment.
(c) Musical instruments.
(d) Gourmet food.
3. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
4. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
(a) Harriet Weaver.
(b) William Yeats.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
5. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
6. Who did Giorgio marry?
7. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
8. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
9. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(b) Street Song.
10. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
(a) He was growing to love it.
(b) He was ambivalent about it.
(c) He thoroughly enjoyed it.
(d) He hated it.
11. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 1,000 francs.
(b) 7,500 francs.
(c) 100,000 francs.
(d) 12,000 francs.
12. Who was Valery Larbaud?
(a) French university president.
(b) French writer.
(c) French translator.
(d) French chef.
13. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
14. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) Alfred Adler.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) David A. Halperin.
15. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just as a prank.
(b) Just to satisfy their parents.
(c) Just to give him financial support.
(d) Just to please their teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
2. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
3. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
4. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
5. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)