|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
2. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(d) Street Song.
3. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Ernest Hemingway.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
4. Which surgery did Nora have in 1929?
(b) Gallbladder removal.
(c) Knee repair.
5. What was Charlotte Sauermann's profession?
6. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(b) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(d) Chamber Music.
7. What issue still continued to haunt Joyce in 1915?
(a) Health problems.
(b) Financial problems.
(c) Relationship problems.
(d) Legal problems.
8. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She ran naked out of the house.
(b) She boarded herself up in her room.
(c) She ate nasturtiums.
(d) She threw a chair at her mother.
9. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
10. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
11. Where was Joyce's play, EXILES, first performed?
12. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
13. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(b) Ireland Today.
(d) Little Review.
14. Who did Giorgio marry?
15. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) Walden Pond.
(b) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(c) Finnegan's Wake.
(d) The Remains of the Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
2. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
3. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
4. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
5. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)