|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
2. What was the profession of the man in #88?
3. Who was the owner of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore?
(a) Margot Eliot.
(b) Madeline Krazinski.
(c) Anna Wintour.
(d) Sylvia Beach.
4. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
5. With whom did the Joyce family share an apartment?
(a) Philipp Janach.
(b) Edward Sloane.
(c) Steven Donnely.
(d) Marcus Garibaldi.
6. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) Carl Jung.
(b) David A. Halperin.
(c) Sigmund Freud.
(d) Alfred Adler.
7. What did Giorgio name his son?
8. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
9. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
(a) He was bedridden.
(b) He weighed 112 pounds.
(c) He was almost blind.
(d) He had bad teeth.
10. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) Musical instruments.
(b) A new apartment.
(c) Gourmet food.
(d) Good schools.
11. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
12. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
13. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
(b) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
(c) Performed a song and dance on stage.
(d) Distributed flyers.
14. What was Charlotte Sauermann's profession?
15. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Joyce determine should write his biography?
2. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
3. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
4. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
5. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)