|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(b) The seaside.
(d) Cafes and clubs.
2. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Irish Heritage grant.
(b) Civil List grant.
(c) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(d) Universita Italia grant.
3. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) Finnegan's Wake.
(b) Walden Pond.
(c) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(d) The Remains of the Day.
4. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
5. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
6. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
7. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 12,000 francs.
(b) 7,500 francs.
(c) 1,000 francs.
(d) 100,000 francs.
8. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
9. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
10. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
11. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
12. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(d) Street Song.
13. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
(a) Julia Galloway.
(b) Celestine Morrow.
(c) Martha Fleischmann.
(d) Estelle Grammercy.
14. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
15. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
(c) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
2. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
3. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
4. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
5. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)