|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(a) The seaside.
(c) Cafes and clubs.
2. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She ate nasturtiums.
(b) She threw a chair at her mother.
(c) She ran naked out of the house.
(d) She boarded herself up in her room.
3. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
4. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
5. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
6. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
7. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
8. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
9. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
(b) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(d) Chamber Music.
10. What pursuit did Giorgio enjoy?
(d) Writing poetry.
11. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to give him financial support.
(b) Just to please their teachers.
(c) Just to satisfy their parents.
(d) Just as a prank.
12. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
13. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
14. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
15. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
2. With whom did the Joyce family share an apartment?
3. What function did Nora have in one of Joyce's dramatic productions?
4. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
5. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)