|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
(a) Used clothes.
2. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) Lopsided ears.
(b) A scar.
(c) A long neck.
(d) Crooked teeth.
3. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
(c) Street Song.
4. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She boarded herself up in her room.
(b) She ate nasturtiums.
(c) She ran naked out of the house.
(d) She threw a chair at her mother.
5. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
6. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) The Remains of the Day.
(b) Walden Pond.
(c) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(d) Finnegan's Wake.
7. What was the profession of the man in #88?
8. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
(b) Cafes and clubs.
(c) The seaside.
9. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Emily Dickinson.
10. What issue still continued to haunt Joyce in 1915?
(a) Relationship problems.
(b) Financial problems.
(c) Health problems.
(d) Legal problems.
11. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 7,500 francs.
(b) 12,000 francs.
(c) 100,000 francs.
(d) 1,000 francs.
12. Which surgery did Nora have in 1929?
(a) Knee repair.
(c) Gallbladder removal.
13. By 1918, Giorgio excelled at singing and ________________.
14. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
15. In 1923, Giorgio got a job as a _________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
2. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
3. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
5. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)