|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
2. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) Gourmet food.
(b) A new apartment.
(c) Good schools.
(d) Musical instruments.
3. Whose husband committed suicide in 1929?
4. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
(c) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
5. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Universita Italia grant.
(b) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(c) Irish Heritage grant.
(d) Civil List grant.
6. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
7. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
8. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
(a) Crooked teeth.
(b) A scar.
(c) Lopsided ears.
(d) A long neck.
9. What was the profession of the man in #88?
10. Who was the owner of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore?
(a) Anna Wintour.
(b) Sylvia Beach.
(c) Margot Eliot.
(d) Madeline Krazinski.
11. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
(d) Chamber Music.
12. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
(a) She boarded herself up in her room.
(b) She ran naked out of the house.
(c) She ate nasturtiums.
(d) She threw a chair at her mother.
13. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
14. What job did Joyce do when the family returned to Trieste in 1919?
15. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
2. In the United States, ULYSSES is pirated by a man named ____________________.
3. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
4. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
5. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)