|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 100,000 francs.
(b) 1,000 francs.
(c) 7,500 francs.
(d) 12,000 francs.
2. What play did Joyce produce?
(a) Little Women.
(c) The Importance of Being Earnest.
3. What issue still continued to haunt Joyce in 1915?
(a) Legal problems.
(b) Financial problems.
(c) Relationship problems.
(d) Health problems.
4. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
(a) He was bedridden.
(b) He was almost blind.
(c) He weighed 112 pounds.
(d) He had bad teeth.
5. What did Giorgio name his son?
6. What was the profession of the man in #88?
7. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to give him financial support.
(b) Just as a prank.
(c) Just to satisfy their parents.
(d) Just to please their teachers.
8. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
9. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
10. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
(a) His physician.
(b) The maid.
(c) The nanny.
(d) His attorney.
11. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
(a) Harriet Weaver.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) William Yeats.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
12. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
13. What pursuit did Giorgio enjoy?
(b) Writing poetry.
14. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(a) Ireland Today.
(d) Little Review.
15. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) A new apartment.
(b) Gourmet food.
(c) Good schools.
(d) Musical instruments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
2. Which author refused to subscribe to receive a copy of ULYSSES?
3. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
4. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
5. Who did Joyce befriend and join for long walks during this time ?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)