|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During 1922, Joyce came up with the idea for ____________________.
(a) Walden Pond.
(b) Finnegan's Wake.
(c) The Importance of Being Earnest.
(d) The Remains of the Day.
2. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
3. What grant did Joyce receive that helped the family financially for awhile?
(a) Irish Republic grant.
(b) Trieste Arts Council grant.
(c) Dublin University grant.
(d) Royal Literature Fund grant.
4. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
(a) He thoroughly enjoyed it.
(b) He was growing to love it.
(c) He hated it.
(d) He was ambivalent about it.
5. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
(b) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
6. Who did Giorgio marry?
7. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to satisfy their parents.
(b) Just to give him financial support.
(c) Just as a prank.
(d) Just to please their teachers.
8. A man named __________________ wanted to publish FINNEGAN'S WAKE in serial form.
9. Joyce had major health issues with which part of his body?
10. What language did the Joyces speak among themselves?
11. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) A new apartment.
(b) Gourmet food.
(c) Musical instruments.
(d) Good schools.
12. Who was the owner of the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore?
(a) Anna Wintour.
(b) Sylvia Beach.
(c) Margot Eliot.
(d) Madeline Krazinski.
13. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Civil List grant.
(b) Irish Heritage grant.
(c) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(d) Universita Italia grant.
14. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 12,000 francs.
(b) 1,000 francs.
(c) 100,000 francs.
(d) 7,500 francs.
15. In what city did Joyce and Nora marry?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
2. To what work did Joyce devote himself in 1915?
3. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
4. In 1923, Joyce had surgery on his ________________.
5. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)