|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harriet Weaver and Ezra Pound told Joyce that Finnegan's Wake needed more ______________.
2. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
3. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
4. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Performed a song and dance on stage.
(b) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
(c) Distributed flyers.
(d) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
5. Who did Giorgio marry?
6. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
(a) Emma Galloway.
(b) Madeline Anderson.
(c) Sylvia Beach.
(d) Ava Monroe.
7. ULYSSES was translated into which language in 1929?
8. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
9. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
10. By 1918, Giorgio excelled at singing and ________________.
11. What was the profession of the man in #88?
12. Which noted psychiatrist wrote a disparaging letter to Joyce?
(a) Sigmund Freud.
(b) David A. Halperin.
(c) Carl Jung.
(d) Alfred Adler.
13. Who announced his engagement in 1929?
14. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
15. What was Joyce's typical demeanor while with his children?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Joyce spend much of his time from 1916 to 1918?
2. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
3. Lucia was self conscious about an odd squint and __________________.
4. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
5. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)