|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Joyce attempt to seduce when Nora was on vacation?
(a) The nanny.
(b) His attorney.
(c) His physician.
(d) The maid.
2. Who did Giorgio marry?
3. Who sent the Joyces some money to help them for a bit?
(a) Joyce's uncle.
(b) Nora's uncle.
(c) Nora's sister.
(d) Joyce's father.
4. Which friend of Joyce's helped him produce a play?
5. Which one of his works did Joyce work to translate into French in 1920?
(a) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
6. How many people showed up for the first reading of ULYSSES?
7. In what year did Joyce marry Nora?
8. What did Joyce read to get inspiration for his writing in 1918?
(a) Nora's dream journal.
(b) Girogio's journal.
(c) Stanislaus' letters.
(d) Lucia's diary.
9. Who refused to read ULYSSES when it was finally published?
10. Who helped Joyce attain grants during this period?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Ezra Pound.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
11. What did Ezra Pound send to Joyce in his diminished state?
(b) Used clothes.
12. Which of the following was NOT true about Joyce in 1929?
(a) He had bad teeth.
(b) He weighed 112 pounds.
(c) He was bedridden.
(d) He was almost blind.
13. What was the name of the magazine burned by post office censors for featuring some of Joyce's work?
(a) Little Review.
(d) Ireland Today.
14. Where was Joyce's play, EXILES, first performed?
15. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
(a) 7,500 francs.
(b) 12,000 francs.
(c) 100,000 francs.
(d) 1,000 francs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Joyce's works appeared in the magazine in #112?
2. The reactions of Joyce's friends to his first drafts of ULYSSES were ___________________.
3. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
4. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
5. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)