|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the neighboring woman with whom Joyce had an affair in 1918?
(a) Celestine Morrow.
(b) Julia Galloway.
(c) Martha Fleischmann.
(d) Estelle Grammercy.
2. What did Joyce once do at the end of a play to publicize a theater?
(a) Distributed flyers.
(b) Stood up and declared the miraculous restoration of his eyesight.
(c) Walked the aisles with an advertising sandwich board.
(d) Performed a song and dance on stage.
3. By 1915, how many years had the Joyces spent in Trieste?
4. Lucia was diagnosed as being a/an ____________________.
5. Why did many of Joyce's students pay him but not take lessons?
(a) Just to give him financial support.
(b) Just as a prank.
(c) Just to satisfy their parents.
(d) Just to please their teachers.
6. Joyce had eye surgery in which city?
7. Who was the publisher who took on Ulysses in book form?
(a) Harriet Weaver.
(b) David McGuire.
(c) Margaret Howth.
(d) Cynthia Sloane.
8. How did Joyce feel about Zurich in 1915?
(a) He was ambivalent about it.
(b) He hated it.
(c) He thoroughly enjoyed it.
(d) He was growing to love it.
9. What was Joyce's favorite alcoholic beverage?
10. What grant did Joyce receive to help support his family?
(a) Edinburgh Scholars grant.
(b) Irish Heritage grant.
(c) Universita Italia grant.
(d) Civil List grant.
11. Which of the following was NOT an illness suffered by Joyce?
12. In 1915, Joyce tried to publish _______________________ as a book rather than in excerpts.
(a) Chamber Music.
(d) Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.
13. The Joyces seemed to always be looking for _________________ in their lives.
(a) Gourmet food.
(b) Musical instruments.
(c) Good schools.
(d) A new apartment.
14. In addition to eye problems, Joyce began to suffer with problems with his ___________________.
15. Who offered Joyce a generous royalty package for the publication of ULYSSES?
(a) Ava Monroe.
(b) Madeline Anderson.
(c) Sylvia Beach.
(d) Emma Galloway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Valery Larbaud?
2. Who continued to support Joyce in the 1922-1923 period?
3. How much money did Mrs. Harold McCormick deposit into Joyce's account?
4. What was the only play that Joyce ever wrote?
5. What does Lucia do that prompted the Joyces to finally send Lucia to an asylum?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)